Please login or register

Rome Multiplayer Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Clan competitions - opinion thread
posted 13 July 2005 13:57 EDT (US)   
On the back of Jax's thread, I was wondering if anyone is interested in getting a team together to enter a clan competition.

We are not officially, and IMO should never be, a clan per se, as we have members from several clans and are part of a larger gaming community as a whole which welcomes all those to the forums. However, I see no problem in "unaffiliated" members who are part of our community forming a team.

This would not be for some friendly-type games, but to win, which would neccesiatate some sort of selection. I think this should either be an elimination tournament similar to the singles invitational or by randomly selecting players from the top of the ladder. I favour the second method (although top of the ladder needs to be defined, possibly intermediate/rookie or intermediate alone, although ranks change and a 0.5 point difference can change your status), as consistency is more important than isolated performances.

I'd like to hear your views on these issues.

*throws open debate*

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
Replies:
posted 13 July 2005 14:19 EDT (US)     1 / 18  
name in hat

POSTER NUMBER ONE IN HOLY ROMAN PARTY XV
"Live forever, or die trying!"
TWH Baths Forumer of the Month - November 06
posted 13 July 2005 14:56 EDT (US)     2 / 18  
What?

///scipio_africanus\\\
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
posted 13 July 2005 15:03 EDT (US)     3 / 18  
I like this idea.

The ladder seems good, as their is handily 6 people in the Intermediate section. I think that would make a good short term solution. However, it would be nice to give evryone a chance, so some kind of invitational might work better. Maybe a combination of the 2 methods.

of course, competitive games will probably be teams, and some players work better in a team then they do 1v1. So this seems to me to be the perfect time to kick off a 2v2 or 3v3 invitational, organinsed by the Forummers, in the abscence of a dedicated MP staff member.

house won this
posted 13 July 2005 15:24 EDT (US)     4 / 18  
the ladder might not be a good idea, becuse i consider my self fairly good, but my ladder ranking is low, becuse i havnt played many gmes, or been here too long.

a tourney could be a good idea, like double elimination.

but i dont care because i am in a clan :P lol

––––––––––•(-• ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ •-)•––––––––––
RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [ŻŻŻŻŻ]†λ†[ŻŻŻŻŻ]
ĞPeace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.ğ
~Albert Einstein
posted 13 July 2005 15:24 EDT (US)     5 / 18  
OK, that might work, but I think we need to factor in ladder scores and the fact that some people gel as a team.

*waves to attract attention of passing Adder*

Are you goibng to get someone to help us or will me and Jax have to do it ourselves?

///scipio_africanus\\\
posted 14 July 2005 12:26 EDT (US)     6 / 18  
Well, we could orgainse it until a dedicated staff member is appointed, couldn't we?

house won this
posted 14 July 2005 13:14 EDT (US)     7 / 18  
Yes.

So, anyone interested or have selection ideas?

///scipio_africanus\\\
posted 14 July 2005 14:04 EDT (US)     8 / 18  

Quote:

Are you goibng to get someone to help us or will me and Jax have to do it ourselves?

I told you guys to email me if you needed anything.

But what do you guys need/want? I'll try and work it out.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 14 July 2005 14:41 EDT (US)     9 / 18  
I think some sort of tournament will be good, and we'd need to find out whether we actually qualify for a clan competition.

I think the discussions we've already had show that a clan wouldn't be popular, but I think there is scope for this.

IMO the biggest problem will be inactivity/apathy. I was surprides how little signed up for the singles tourney.

///scipio_africanus\\\
posted 14 July 2005 16:09 EDT (US)     10 / 18  
A tournament is in the works.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 15 July 2005 08:02 EDT (US)     11 / 18  
Part of the problem with tourneys and singles comps, as opposed to the ladder, is timing.
I am in the Southern Hemisphere and work up to 60 hours a week. It's hard to make myself available. That being said I manage to catch up with Sheelba a lot and Africanus now and again.
Of note: The guys at the top of the ladder seem to be playing against each other mostly, for some reason or another. There is not much new blood around.
Not too many people who sign up ever seem to play a game.
I also agree with Blaine in that the ladder probably is not the truest reflection in skill levels.
Anyway..
I think a combined approach in recruiting team members is agood approach. There are a few of us who play together often enough to work quite well in combination. Other players can be trained up.
I think we could be quite a formidible force if we were unleashed against other clans.
I will try to make myself available if I am wanted.

..oo{Desolation Khan}oo..
Age, catamite - fac mihi hunc diem felicissimum

i.e. Go ahead, punk - make my day

posted 15 July 2005 15:09 EDT (US)     12 / 18  
*unleashes sparty*

You seem to be on at times that work for eurpean and american forumers, so I expect you could join in.

What sort of system for selecting/matching players do you favour?

///scipio_africanus\\\
posted 15 July 2005 23:36 EDT (US)     13 / 18  
Hey if you want an Western Australian blood i'll join. Why? did I post where I live cuase i'm +8 hrs infront of gtm so it could be difficult with my time difference, school and ect...

About selection you could have a trail to see how works well in a team. e.g: say I play with an organiser in a 2 vs 2 team against a very hard computer. (AI: would gave more men of coarse) and we win then your in the team if too many pass the trails start over agian in a way as you do some more trial fights with the people that passed.

Regards,
Remus

posted 16 July 2005 05:42 EDT (US)     14 / 18  
I don't think anything involving the A.I. is a good idea.

I think just hosting a 2v2/3v3 tournament, which Adder seems to be doing, is a good idea. We would then have a hierarchy of good team players. If people can't show on a certain date, pick people from further down the results ladder.

Of course, we could always set up a short term team ladder that lasts about 2 weeks, and get some results off that.

house won this
posted 16 July 2005 14:31 EDT (US)     15 / 18  

Quote:

I also agree with Blaine in that the ladder probably is not the truest reflection in skill levels.

We're considering implementing a unit limit rule to stop spamming from happening... We know it's a problem.

Quote:

I think just hosting a 2v2/3v3 tournament, which Adder seems to be doing, is a good idea.

The orange guys get all the credit. (Probably because they do all the work).

Anyway, team tournaments don't usually work out well. Unfortunately, it often causes more problems and bitterness than it does fun and good teamwork skills.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 16 July 2005 14:37 EDT (US)     16 / 18  

Quote:

We're considering implementing a unit limit rule to stop spamming from happening... We know it's a problem.

IMO that would cause more harm than good. i think that if anyone feels they have been spammed against they should report it in the thread.

For example, I would be annoyed at being beaten by 10 DC and 10 chariots, but not by 10 HH and 10 chariots, or by 12 spearmen and 8 catas, or by 10 urbans.

///scipio_africanus\\\
posted 16 July 2005 15:09 EDT (US)     17 / 18  
*agrees*

I think its only "spam" strategies that orthodox setups have difficulty stopping that should be banned. Unfortunatly, this may be kind of difficult to implement, as who can say what is an "annoying" spam strategy?

Quote:

The orange guys get all the credit.

Sorry Doitzel. Hows this:

Quote:

I think just hosting a 2v2/3v3 tournament, which Adder seems to be doing (and Doitzel is obviously helping with), is a good idea.

house won this
posted 18 July 2005 13:01 EDT (US)     18 / 18  
most clan competitions are 2v2 to 4v4, so I am thinking a comonation of
singles(to make sure the player has basic skills)
then doubles(to make sure they can work as a team)

then the best 5 doubles teams could be the ones who play the official matches, with the higher ranked players getting first shot at playing, then down the list.

This will ensure that we have enough people, and good enough people to be competitive.

Anyone should be removed for unsportsman like connduct, and spamming( only throw them out the second time for spamming)(also, we need a spamable list, like its ok to spam with scythia and britan, otherwise max 10 of the same unit.?.?)

If new people would like to join, they must find a partner, and beat a ranked team in the best of 3 or 5 matches

If anyone will be inactive, their team cannot be challenged untill they get back, but a replacement person or team will be assigned, so that we will still have eough people.

I think that is it...

––––––––––•(-• ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ •-)•––––––––––
RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [ŻŻŻŻŻ]†λ†[ŻŻŻŻŻ]
ĞPeace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.ğ
~Albert Einstein
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Multiplayer Discussion » Clan competitions - opinion thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames