You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval & Shogun: Total War

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Rome 2?
posted 14 July 2007 13:28 EDT (US)   
I know we haven't even got Kingdoms yet, and there will more than likely be a download add on like there was with Alexander. However, I was wonderign if anyone has heard if there will be a Rome 2 or if anyone has any thoughts on this?

I recently played Rome again after not playing it since Medieval 2 came out. I have to say, I didnt think Medieval 2 was that different from Rome when I first played it, but going back to Rome, the differences are massive. Little things, you dont realise at first.

I love the game and stratergy as Rome, but would want to play it with Medieval 2's features.
Replies:
posted 14 July 2007 14:50 EDT (US)     1 / 20  
Ya I was thinking the same thing recently as well. Perhaps someone can take some time and create an RTW version with M2's engine and graphics...
posted 14 July 2007 17:01 EDT (US)     2 / 20  
M2TW has Rome's engine. for a remake of Rome they would need to make a new engine, otherwise things would be too much the same.
posted 14 July 2007 18:14 EDT (US)     3 / 20  
Ya I was thinking the same thing recently as well. Perhaps someone can take some time and create an RTW version with M2's engine and graphics...
The Europa Barbarorum team is creating a Roman-era mod based on Medieval 2 once they finish with RTW.
posted 14 July 2007 23:30 EDT (US)     4 / 20  
The Europa Barbarorum team is creating a Roman-era mod based on Medieval 2 once they finish with RTW.
Thier joining another team that's already started working M2 in that direction and it sounds good. There probably wont be an official Rome 2 for a long time, if ever.
posted 15 July 2007 07:06 EDT (US)     5 / 20  
yeah would be great! I mean I really miss charging into the back of a phalanx formation, those pikemen simply aren't fun enough :P

-=Wakain=-
posted 15 July 2007 18:12 EDT (US)     6 / 20  
Moving to future/past games forum.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 18 July 2007 06:23 EDT (US)     7 / 20  
With the greatest of respect to EB (and I love it as a mod), I think the official R2TW is more likely to arrive first, judging how long it's taken for EB to get this far! That's only to be expected, given that one is a professional outfit working commercially and the other is a group of enthusiastic and talented amateurs.

Anyway, I want to see S2TW.

-+- Non sequiturs and weak puns a speciality -+-
posted 18 July 2007 06:37 EDT (US)     8 / 20  
I don't know.
What frustrated me most about STW was that all factions had the same unit roster. I love how in RTW/M2TW most factions have at least some unique units and some factions are totally different.

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

posted 18 July 2007 06:45 EDT (US)     9 / 20  
Wouldn't bother me! I just love the Japaneseyness of it all. Sadly the interface, gameplay and visuals of STW are not a patch on (even) RTW.

TBH they could give M2TW a ten-minute reskin and bung it up for download with the STW soundtrack and I'd be content.

-+- Non sequiturs and weak puns a speciality -+-
posted 18 July 2007 22:15 EDT (US)     10 / 20  
S2TW would be awsome. The 3d campign map alone, the geography of Japan had alot to do with victories and loses that Shogun with the risk style map just couldnt convey. Also, though the original didnt convey very well, there were significant differences in the armies of the seperate factions during the warring states period. Nobunaga favored guns, while Tekeda's cavalry were un-matched. Though you wouldnt have the totally different rosters such as Denmark vs. HRE, there would be differences such as seen between England and France. If they captured the 'feel' as well as they did in the original that would be plenty of variety for me.
With the greatest of respect to EB (and I love it as a mod), I think the official R2TW is more likely to arrive first, judging how long it's taken for EB to get this far!
Not liekely. First M2 is more 'mod-friendly' then Rome and is supposed to be more so with kingdoms. Second, CA, according to it's own methods, will not be releasing another seperate TW game without totally re-vamping the entire sysetem. Note the difference between Shogun and Medieval in comparison to the differences between Medieval and Rome. That means EB has more time before a new Total War game then they did between Rome and M2. Also there is research that has already been done and the team has more experiance working together.
posted 23 July 2007 06:40 EDT (US)     11 / 20  
My own feeling is that they might try something new but that's just a hunch really.

-Love Gaius

posted 23 July 2007 07:26 EDT (US)     12 / 20  
Well, CA's official policy since Shogun has been 'one evolutionary title, one revolutionary title'. Medieval: Total War was evolutionary. Rome: Total War was revolutionary. Medieval 2: Total War was evolutionary. The next game... revolutionary.

So we should expect something fairly substantially different.
posted 23 July 2007 08:06 EDT (US)     13 / 20  
Napoleon maybe?

It could be hard to get anything else with a big enough scope for a TW game.

-Love Gaius

posted 24 July 2007 13:02 EDT (US)     14 / 20  
They might have trouble rigging up the system for guns and cannons. Practically every unit would be ranged, and it would take forever to reload.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
---------------------------------------------
Ugly can be fixed
But stupidity is forever
------------------------------------
If you are a Christian and not ashamed of it put this in your signature.
posted 30 July 2007 06:07 EDT (US)     15 / 20  
i would love if they made R2TW i already love the first one and since they did make a second MTW why wont they make another RTW

then that would have to bring up STW as well they can make another one of those aswell even though i havent played it i really dont think it has that much depth all there really was are cavalry, samurai and maybe some musketeers and archers
then there wouldnt be that many faction because japan is little, why you got the whole europe and parts of africa to deal with on RTW

i would love to see a new RTW coming out maybe in 08 but we just gotta wait it out and find out

-My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.-Russel Crowe

-This...Is...Sparta-Gerard Butler

-I came, I saw, I conquered-Cearser
posted 31 July 2007 12:34 EDT (US)     16 / 20  
I caught word that there will be a Rome 2: Total War? wwhaaaaaa?
posted 31 July 2007 16:17 EDT (US)     17 / 20  
Instead of a R2TW I'd like to see an Asia: Total War game. Not only could there be Japanese and Chinese factions but the Huns, Mongols, Koreans as well as numerous smaller tribes that existed. Asia Minor and India could also be on the map.
posted 31 July 2007 19:57 EDT (US)     18 / 20  
i think i have a good idea of what the next TW would be ive been putting little thought into but it just hit me a few minutes ago

what if there was a TW dealing with pirates

the whole on sea hing would be pretty cool with cannons and what not

then come the part when you get to envade ships by putting a plank across then its just nonstop fight

i dont know what type of factions they would have but supposedly everyones after black beard and his riches

i think there could only be about 3 to four units on the ships and maybe more on the land if possible

i guess i'll go over the many units on the ships
1. the captain and his bodyguards (20)
2.warriors with swords (40)
3.warriors with knives (80)
4.ordinary brawlers similar to peasents (120)
5.men to control cannons and any missile (20)
6.if there were guns in those day then gunmen (10-15)

the objective is to overthrow blackbeard and take his riches and be king of the pirates

now to the units on land if possible
1.the capitan and maybe cavalry or something with fast transportation (20)
2.swordsmen (40)
3.knivesmen (80)
4.brawlers (120)
5.gunmen (20)
6.missile units (10-15)
7.wardogs or war animal (25-30)

there could be alot more but this is spur of the moment i think it could be a great possiblity of the being a TW it would be called Pirate or somehinf to do with it to make it sound right

-My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.-Russel Crowe

-This...Is...Sparta-Gerard Butler

-I came, I saw, I conquered-Cearser
posted 31 July 2007 22:17 EDT (US)     19 / 20  
if they made an asia total war i would totally buy it hey wut if they made a WWII total war that would be kinda cool i mean they could use the rome total war map, add a few more cities and this time around just add asia and you are all set and there would tons of different factions i mean aside from the obvious fact that virtually all units would be ranged that would still sound like a really good game. there would be tons of variety as in having ships and planes and actually fighting naval battles (though leaving out the aerial dogfights because that would be kinda hard to manage.)

It's not pesonal, it's just business
- Micheal Coreleone
posted 31 July 2007 23:16 EDT (US)     20 / 20  
what if there was a TW dealing with pirates
Not really that bad an idea, but I'd go earlier. In reality a Pirates! Total War would have very little new to offer over existing games such as 'Port Royal.' Also, IMO, having any decided mission other then world domination is weak for a TW game, though could make for an interesting sub-campaign on the way to world domination.
wut if they made a WWII total war that would be kinda cool
While that could be a good game, campaign map wise, the TW engine is poorly designd for such. The latest period the unit based engine is really effective for is probably Napoleon, after that 'unit formation' was really not used as much, atleast not in the manner portrayed by the TW engine. I suppose CA could re-vamp the engine to be more fitted to the time era, but honestly I think they'd be better off sticking to what they've already got right.
R2TW I'd like to see an Asia: Total War game.
I agree, it's time for TW to move back east, after all they dont want us getting bored of Europe do they?
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval & Shogun: Total War » Rome 2?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames