You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Total War Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Draft Guide - Americas - Require Help Spotting Mistakes\Feedback...
posted 29 February 2008 09:22 EDT (US)   
Updated - 7th May
[Draft] Colonisation & Exploration of the New World
By Scipii

Whether you are following the voyage of the First Fleet, or have plans to colonise the New World, else known as the Americas, and reap the rewards from the vast amounts of gold and other luxurious trade items, the voyage is wrought with danger. Depending on your financial and military skills exploring and colonising the Americas could be a costly experiment before you even leave the shores of the Old World. Before factions from the Old World, during the Grand Campaign, can actually navigate to the New World there are a few prerequisites of which each must be fulfilled.

The foremost prerequisite that decides whether factions are permitted to travel to the New World in the Grand Campaign is the event entitled “The World Is Round”, which is approximately expected to trigger between the years of 1400-1408 A.D, which using the default time scale equates to around approximately 160-164 turns. Before this event factions will not be able to construct the Naval Dry-dock upgrade capable of building the fleets of ships capable of navigating across the Atlantic Ocean to the New World. Should any willing leader miss the event notice for “The World Is Round” then a failsafe method to determine whether or not the event has triggered is through checking, either through the building browser or through the construction tab, whether or not building of the Naval Dry-dock port upgrade is possible yet.

As mentioned previously the fleets of ships under your command determine how whether one can, or canst, navigate the seas to the New World. Although the names of vessels worthy of navigating the seas to the New World can vary faction to faction quite often the only vessels capable of navigating to the New World require a Naval-Dry-dock, or equivalent, and the “The World Is Round” event triggered. Examples of vessels capable of crossing the Atlantic Ocean to the Americas are the Spanish seafaring vessels of the Caravel and the Grande Carrack. However navigating across the seas to the New World is slow and tedious, due to requiring at least a few turns of rough blind navigating to reach somewhere even remotely close the Americas. Once you have reached the New World of the Americas then colonisation and trade come into the fold of your goals with the New World, which provide an equally different and several difficult tasks to face.

Anyone interested in the colonisation and conquest of the New World should be aware of the financial and economic burden such a venture could be to your faction. Several building upgrades are required, and the natives are not to be taken lightly or you could risk failure during your first attempt at colonisation and conquest of the New World. After colonising a settlement there are always chances religious unrest and rebellions will begin, even with extermination of the native population, so always garrison more soldiers then normal, and of a better quality then your normal garrison troops, until there is almost no certainty of any native uprisings, which can rise to become highly threatening to your attempts of conquest and colonisation quickly. The building of churches and conversion of the natives to Christianity by priests will help lessen the chances of a revolt from any religious unrest. However the conversion of the natives from their pagan religions to Christianity will require patience; however transporting settlers to colonise any captured settlements to dilute the ratio of pagan natives to christen settlers and soldiers will also help lessen chances of any unrest and rebellions over time.

The Aztecs while they seem relatively primitive are quite a potent threat to your plans in the New World, possessing several powerful full stack armies of experienced and deadly troops, and the means to train more warriors at a whim. The terrain does not help your cause either since the Aztecs can hide within the lush rainforests and set ambushes for your unsuspecting armies on the campaign map, and terrain does not favour yourself on the battle map either several times. Even with multiple fleets transporting and supplying your armies stationed in the New World, until you mange to upgrade any captured settlements to a sufficient level for retraining soldiers, there will be long delays between troops and supplies arriving to help against the relentless Aztec onslaught if they are provoked.

Inevitably any ambitious general will desire to conquer and tame the lands of the Aztecs, considering the vast reserves of potential wealth able to be capitalised upon one could be considered a fool not to attempt such a daring plan. As mentioned before the Aztecs pose a tough challenge alone, combined with the logistical problem of resupplying armies and the margins between failure and victory can quickly turn. Since essentially you’re the general in charge of the military campaigns being committed by your kingdom I cannot deny you the freedom of using historical troop compositions and such, however considering the advice given will aid you in conquering the New World. On that note you must strike a balance between having large expensive armies of experienced late troops which will often be unable to resupply their numbers without very often regular regiments of reinforcements from the Old World, or using cheaper and more readily available lower tier troops of which you have a greater chance of upgrading captured settlements to be able to resupply. Seriously, the amount of months between training regiments of troops to resupply those in the New World and those exact regiments finally sailing into port to resupply regiments stationed in the New World is often astonishing, so care planning of logistics and constant shipping of supplies is very necessary.

However do not be fooled that the Aztecs are afraid of death, strong morale throughout several Aztec troops causes them to often fight to the death, and any Aztec army will almost certainly outnumber any forces sent against them and are especially challenging for even a veteran commander if caught in unprepared. Mobility, and on several occasions being light armoured, will be the Aztec’s ultimate down fall however as they have no access to cavalry so can in essence be flanked easier than any other nation and high damage weapons are guaranteed to lay down the hurt, however what they can lack in cavalry and armour they certainly can balance with massive numbers and the damage a horde of Aztec elite warriors can cause. The Aztec army can range from hordes of amazingly devastating elite Aztec warriors through to massive several stack armies of low tier Aztec warriors, all with equipped with fearsome weapons ranging from damaging brutal clubs through to the humble bow and arrow.

There are three possible candidate settlements for conquest and colonisation if you wish to establish a permanent base within the New World. Depending on faction location preferences can vary on which settlement not occupied by the Aztecs, but just by Native American rebels which are of an easier difficulty to defeat then the Aztecs in a battle. These settlements are Fortaleza, located in the province of Brazil and lies approximately straight across from Lisbon in Portugal; Caribbean, located in the province of Caribbean, or otherwise the Caribbean islands, and lies in approximately a straight line from Ireland; and Miccosukee, located in the province of North America just north of the province of Caribbean, and the settlement itself located just slightly north of the Miami Keys. The Aztec settlements of Tlaxcala, Cholula and Tenochtitlan can be found south-west of the settlement Caribbean.

The New World has much new found wealth and prosperity to offer any faction who successfully navigates and colonises amongst the natives of the region. Any captured settlements should be advanced along an economic route primarily before anything else, apart from perhaps churches depending on the situation of unrest and rebellion, so as to take advantage of this new found wealth and prosperity your faction can tap into. As well as the building of economic buildings in settlements Merchants will prosper in the New World as well with resources, such as gold, fetching very good prices most times, and will face no threats of being forced off their plot by merchants of other factions unless another faction actually successfully colonised the New World, which is quite rare.

Hopefully any expeditions performed to the New World are successful and beneficial to your empire in several ways, whether it is for wealth or for personal achievement. However for anyone interested in the New World and its new found riches and prosperity do not forget your holdings back in the Old World if you still have enemies lurking around ready to pouch at any sign of weakness. For anyone not yet been to the New World in the grand campaign, or perhaps someone not having any success there, hopefully this guide has been an insightful help and you have benefitted from your time reading the information provided.
Hope you enjoyed this draft copy of my upcoming guide for Medieval 2:Total War and hopefully it was upto the high tastes of everyone here since I do not really want to have to change massive ammounts of text to be honest (lol). Any errors, clarrifications, et cetra related to the guide would be appreciated so it can be imrpoved upon before release.

Regards,
Scipii

p.s: Couldn't decided whether this was best in General Discussion or Strategy Discussion. (lol)

[This message has been edited by Scipii (edited 05-07-2008 @ 04:37 AM).]

Replies:
posted 29 February 2008 14:11 EDT (US)     1 / 23  
When I get back from Finland, I'll have a better read of this.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 29 February 2008 15:29 EDT (US)     2 / 23  
Whether following the voyage of the First Fleet, or have plans to colonise the New World...
I think it woyld make better sense if you wrote:
Whether you are following the voyage...
The foremost prerequisite that decides whether faction
I think it should be factions rather than faction.

Also, you may want to say that it is a good idea to take plenty of priests (to convert provinces) and merchants (to make cash on all those new world resources) with you on your initial voyage(s).
Seems pretty good otherwise. If I think of anything else I'll tell you.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx
posted 01 March 2008 03:16 EDT (US)     3 / 23  
Thanks for spotting them areas that could use improving or adding to the guide draft, had a read over it myself but doing that after reaching the Americas again in the Grand Campaign with a different faction isn't exactly the best idea ever (lol).
posted 01 March 2008 03:32 EDT (US)     4 / 23  
Don't forget pictures- otherwise it just looks like a block of writing (yes, I know, my ones don't have them either )

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 01 March 2008 05:10 EDT (US)     5 / 23  
Updated the draft with changes, more information and et cetra, had another read through it, and tried to keep it short and consise as possible while maintaining the goal of being a helpful and highly informative guide, hopefully.
posted 02 March 2008 22:08 EDT (US)     6 / 23  
This is perfect timing for me, I've just discovered that the world is round, or rather, it's just come up in my game. This will be useful for me.
posted 08 March 2008 04:41 EDT (US)     7 / 23  
Utterly glad that this guide to the New World could be of help there Zufios. Now if no one has anything else to add to help improve the revised draft version I'll submit it to Yak for reviewing by himself and if all goes well uploading to the website, that or revising the draft again and sumbitting again (lol).
posted 08 March 2008 16:20 EDT (US)     8 / 23  
I think this is a really good guide, but if I were you I might throw in a couple of things:

1) talk about how you have to land on the northern part of the Aztec territory, because of the cliffs around the rest of their lands.

2) I think some advice about exact Aztec-killing army compositions would be useful. I mean, you can't just throw some standard old-world armies into some carracks and go on a romp across the Ocean Sea. You've done a very good job of warning the reader how dangerous the Aztecs are, but some more specific advice would seem to be in order. As you well know, your armies in the New World have virtually no need of, say, spearmen.

3) Maybe add a little bit in there about how the Spanish and Portuguese can train Conquistadores in the New World.

Overall, like I said, this guide was very useful, but it would be even better if you added a little bit more technical information.

C13H18O2 <-- IBUPROFEN - ruining your life since 1969!

Hey, check out my AAR here!
posted 09 March 2008 05:09 EDT (US)     9 / 23  
Thanks for the imput Ibuprofen, also do not forget I got the Company of Heroes forum parties going again and the ladder details will be up sometime before the 25th of March. I'll attempt to adopt that advice into my guide even further, at this rate this guide should be a stunner hopefully, and rightly so might help get some more activity back into the entire Total War section of Heavengames perhaps.
posted 12 March 2008 14:58 EDT (US)     10 / 23  
I thought it was very good, aside from the pointers already given I thought it was well written and will certainly help out those who have never been to the Americas.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 13 March 2008 15:16 EDT (US)     11 / 23  
Good guide. As others have advised, I'd consider adding a few pictures.

You should stress more about how deadly Aztec armies can be. They take ages to rout as they have high morale and they generally outnumber you by a large degree.

Also, there is an odd tendency for players to send over historically correct armies with loads of gunpowder units. Advise against this and suggest that people should select armies that can be retrained easily but still capable of holding their own. Horse archers can do very well against them but a standard 10 heavy infantry, 6 cavalry, 4 archer army should be relatively sufficient.

You also need to stress the need to send over multiple full stacks as it's a long way to be sending reinforcements.

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

posted 13 March 2008 17:51 EDT (US)     12 / 23  
I personally would recomment a slightly higher proportion of cavalry-the aztecs have none of their own, and your cavalry can easily ride around their flanks, take out their archers and hit them in the back.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx
posted 07 May 2008 04:42 EDT (US)     13 / 23  
Guide Updated! - 7th May 2008

Alright been hard at work doing more research on the Americas and gradually expanding upon the guide, so I present TWH with the latest draft version of the guide. Currently there is still some information to add about special units that can help bolseter your ranks in the New World for the Portugese and Spanish in the form of Conquistadors, as well as doing any necassary touch ups. But apart from that, and pictures of coarse, everything is falling into place and almost ready for releasing to the public as a final copy.
posted 07 May 2008 08:12 EDT (US)     14 / 23  
I only had a quick read, so hopefully this is actually relevant rather than just utterly pointless:

Could you include either a map of the provinces with suggested routes across from Europe (maybe even number of turns shown from ireland, spain and some other point) - I know I spent a while going up and down trying to find places, particularly with all the bits you can't land on.

The reason I found muskets to be poor was due to the way they (don't) work from walls - I had a reasonably gunpowder heavy army which kicked arse in the field, but once in a city got slaughtered - the muskets couldn't fire from the walls properly, horses and artillery are harder inside walls (other than mortars or if you get a longish road - still its not the best) and generally it wasn't pretty.

On another point, can't spain and portugal get ocean crossing ships before the other countries due to not needing as large docks?
posted 07 May 2008 09:49 EDT (US)     15 / 23  
I personally would recomment a slightly higher proportion of cavalry-the aztecs have none of their own, and your cavalry can easily ride around their flanks, take out their archers and hit them in the back.
I agree completely. Add to that that the Aztecs have only one spear unit, which is unarmoured and much lower quality than their assault infantry.

I thought a very good and thorough guide, Scipii. I think pictures would be useful to illustrate your points and divide the text. Some subtitles would be good as well. Perhaps a little humour. Keeping your reader amused is a vital point in any text.
posted 07 May 2008 14:58 EDT (US)     16 / 23  
Here is dilema would you prefer pictures of the routes and turn it takes to reach different location, or I could wrap the whole tutorial of pictures\words on distances from Scotsland->New World, Spain->New Wolrd and such into a video for everyone. Would save space, wouldn't be to much more effort for myself, and maybe even more helpful as I can demostrate some routes to takes from each place to the New World.
posted 07 May 2008 15:40 EDT (US)     17 / 23  
Hm... a vid would be quite awesome, and you could send the file to Yak for him to upload to the youtube channel. It'd also be an origional idea, too

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 07 May 2008 16:49 EDT (US)     18 / 23  
On another point, can't spain and portugal get ocean crossing ships before the other countries due to not needing as large docks?
SwampRat is correct. You still have to wait for the "world is round" event, but Caravels can be built at dockyards, which is one level below naval drydocks, giving these factions at least a 6-turn head start over their competition.

"There was no Domino's in the 14th Century!"

[This message has been edited by crusading1 (edited 05-07-2008 @ 04:55 PM).]

posted 08 May 2008 17:04 EDT (US)     19 / 23  
Scipii
Can you mention that you need to move the ships each turn and that you can only move it onto already "discovered" water?
however transporting settlers to colonise any captured settlements to dilute the ratio of pagan natives to christen settlers and soldiers will also help lessen chances of any unrest and rebellions over time.
What do you mean by transporting settlers?

Any chance of a list of resources to be found there and the best ones worth going for?

-Love Gaius

posted 08 May 2008 17:09 EDT (US)     20 / 23  
I'll put more detail into the settler bit then, its basically build alot of peasents, put them on a boat, ship them to the New World and disband them when they reach their desired settlement.
posted 08 May 2008 17:37 EDT (US)     21 / 23  
Sadly that trick doesn't work anymore in M2TW as far as I know.

-Love Gaius

posted 08 May 2008 17:46 EDT (US)     22 / 23  
Been working for myself but might of also had something to do with using the cheats to fast track England to the highest teir of every building as well, just for the sakes of testing ships I couldn't be bothered doing it the normal way and waiting for ages to get my cities way upgraded.

*Goes into the testing department to test again*

[This message has been edited by Scipii (edited 05-08-2008 @ 05:47 PM).]

posted 14 July 2008 15:45 EDT (US)     23 / 23  
Hey Scip
Whatever happened to this guide? I was looking forward to seeing the full version of it.

-Love Gaius

Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Total War Discussion » Draft Guide - Americas - Require Help Spotting Mistakes\Feedback...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames