You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Total War Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What is the best faction for a noob?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 16 August 2009 03:20 EDT (US)   
Hi,

My friend has just got M2TW and i have been helping him playing it (mainly battles) but he wants to learn how to do a campaign that once I’ve helped him start he can actually finish on his own, so i want to know what is the best faction and why for a noob. It really needs to be a safe place, have good economy and good units.

Thanks.
Replies:
posted 16 August 2009 03:26 EDT (US)     1 / 33  
I would suggest England. You have the british isles to yourself accept for Scotland who shouldn't be to hard to beat. After that you can focus on your lands in Europe with a safe fallback position in the British Ilses.

I will fight for Total War Heaven.

Will You?
posted 16 August 2009 03:35 EDT (US)     2 / 33  
kk thanks but please any others would be great

[This message has been edited by Hingog45co (edited 08-16-2009 @ 04:07 AM).]

posted 16 August 2009 04:17 EDT (US)     3 / 33  
England, Scotland and Denmark are probably the most fail safe because they all have lands that they can fall back to and rebuild their armies if they get overwhelmed which makes them rather newb friendly.

From those three, pick the one he likes the best. England has great archers and an all around good army. Scotland has good variety of infantry, the best pikes in the game but is limited in cavalry and gun powder units. Denmark has awesome infantry and awesome cavalry.

Some people claim Scotland is hard once you get later in the game. I disagree. You can look at my Scottish AAR in my sig for ideas on how to start and play as them.

My AARs
Scottish AAR(Complete)

Hun AAR(Complete)

[This message has been edited by Bones40 (edited 08-16-2009 @ 04:18 AM).]

posted 16 August 2009 04:24 EDT (US)     4 / 33  
well thanks but still i would also like a good econamy because for sctoland and denmark you quickly have to attack andother settlement other wise you will loose money and my mate wants to have a slow game and england the problem there is caen because the french will eventually attack it and unless you have lots of units you will get owned.
posted 16 August 2009 06:26 EDT (US)     5 / 33  
Try Milan. Good economy, ideal placement for expansion, and kick-ass militia units which can conquer the world with low upkeep.

Michael Jackson
posted 16 August 2009 08:15 EDT (US)     6 / 33  
England England and Only England

Muammar Al Gaddafi
" I cannot recognise either the Palestinian state or the Israeli state. The Palestinians are idiots and the Israelis are idiots. "
posted 16 August 2009 08:48 EDT (US)     7 / 33  
Majo if you do look at my first post you will se i said WHY theres no point saying england it meens nothing and meens even more nothing when its for a friend who has no idea which fraction is any good.
posted 16 August 2009 09:33 EDT (US)     8 / 33  
I recommend England, Milan, and Egypt. England, it's easy. Milan, teaches you expansion. Egypt, teaches you Jihads and horse archers.

Think you're a hotshot against the Mongols? Go to the Mongolphobia mod discussions and download the mod, then, you will surely tremble with fear in the face of the Mongols. If you have suggestions/questions, feel free to make a thread. You can download Mongolphobia here. Good luck.

“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.” -Unknown

Read my AAR/Story "The Battle of the Bridge" here!
posted 16 August 2009 09:46 EDT (US)     9 / 33  
My first MTWII game was as Venice after reading about the good milita troops. My armies were mainly Italian Spear Milita and Pavise Crossbow Milita with a General and as many heavy cavalry as I could put together. As an Italian faction you can train very good troops from your cities, and cities are the money makers .

[This message has been edited by razed94 (edited 08-16-2009 @ 09:46 AM).]

posted 16 August 2009 10:18 EDT (US)     10 / 33  
hi thanks for those the thing is hes new to M2TW but not to TW he has played RTW so doesnt need to know about horse archers and expansion but he wants to know which faction has an easy start off point, good econmics and good units but thanks any way.
posted 16 August 2009 11:05 EDT (US)     11 / 33  
I recommend England, Spain or Venice. England of course is sheltered on the British Isles with only Scotland to be concerned with at first.

Spain is a nice choice because they have good starting units and Iberia to kick around in.

Venice is a challenge because of its centralized location and numerous enemies - you will most likely find yourself at war with Byzantium, the HRE and Milan very soon. They have very strong troops and access to valuable trade routes and areas. However, it makes for a very fun game and fast learning experience.

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by Tranquilis (edited 08-16-2009 @ 11:06 AM).]

posted 16 August 2009 13:52 EDT (US)     12 / 33  
Sicily ?

Muammar Al Gaddafi
" I cannot recognise either the Palestinian state or the Israeli state. The Palestinians are idiots and the Israelis are idiots. "
posted 16 August 2009 13:53 EDT (US)     13 / 33  
England, to me, is clearly the easiest faction to play with. Scotland and Spain are the next two easiest. If he wants the best units in the game, however, he should play Russia, but it is kind of hard to start out.
posted 16 August 2009 14:05 EDT (US)     14 / 33  
majo i said tell me WHY!!!
posted 16 August 2009 14:11 EDT (US)     15 / 33  
Majo Sicily might be hard for a noob cause, if u haven't noticed unless ur pretty good /w economics u go red quickly
posted 16 August 2009 14:30 EDT (US)     16 / 33  
i like scicly they would be quite good for him now i think of it as he has played RTW so knows a bit about economics and scicly has a good safe starting area.
posted 16 August 2009 14:59 EDT (US)     17 / 33  
I stand by with Egypt.

Think you're a hotshot against the Mongols? Go to the Mongolphobia mod discussions and download the mod, then, you will surely tremble with fear in the face of the Mongols. If you have suggestions/questions, feel free to make a thread. You can download Mongolphobia here. Good luck.

“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.” -Unknown

posted 16 August 2009 15:19 EDT (US)     18 / 33  
I hadn't thought of it earlier, but I think Glacey has it with Egypt. Great economy, no obvious enemies for quite awhile, lots of rebels to fight (Turkey is usually content fighting it out with the Byzantines). It can get tough when crusades are called and The Mongols arrive, but that's just something you have to prepare for and it's pretty easily handled.

My AARs
Scottish AAR(Complete)

Hun AAR(Complete)
posted 16 August 2009 19:03 EDT (US)     19 / 33  
I learnt M2TW playing England. They're probably the best faction for a beginner player. Egypt are fairly easy early game, but become more challenging later on.
posted 16 August 2009 19:33 EDT (US)     20 / 33  
That's why it's perfect. It allows you to get a great start, expand easily, learn to use Jihads, then once you get somewhat bored of easy expansion, the Mongols and Timurids come in to show you what you've learned.

Also, crusader armies are fun to annihilate.

posted 16 August 2009 23:50 EDT (US)     21 / 33  
Portugal. Ally and smooch up to the pope and the Catholics attack at their peril, and you're able to crusade on the Moors. Build Mailed Knights and any spearmen with Schiltrom ( Schiltrom > Bodyguards, Knights, anyone else!) and you pwn. Also cooler colors than Spain!

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 17 August 2009 12:22 EDT (US)     22 / 33  
yes crusader armies are very fun to annihalate

like one time i accidently ended up playing an army made of of 2 javelin throwers and a unit of cavalry while my main army was under the comp trying to defeat a full army of crusaders i got to be a mini pain in the but XD
posted 17 August 2009 13:15 EDT (US)     23 / 33  
If I have to tell you the truth, the easiest campaign I've played is with HRE, of course I started the game having played lots and lots of the other campaigns so I think it was because I was experimented and ended the game in 104 turns, you control central europe which is the "key place" of the game for me, because it's hard to enter there for any faction, and yet you could be needing those settlements to end the puzzle for most factions.

I'd say to you England too, because you start with 3 settlements, they aren't hard to manage for newbies probably because you will get back the money you layed out for construction almost instantaneously, there are a lot of rebel cities in France's coasts so you can move quickly and make a good economy conquering them. while you destroy France, you could be fighting with 3 more factions, to the north scotland, destroy them quickly, to the east the HRE, I fight them but if it's too much difficult due to their huge armies early game then ignore them they are getting rot and won't hold you in late game, and figthing Milan it's a good excuse to get Italy lands, that makes you damn rich
posted 17 August 2009 21:32 EDT (US)     24 / 33  
milan damnit!!! u expand on rebels and can attack venice with almost the same army as theirs early on! the city of Venice is a good addition to your already large city of Milan right?
posted 18 August 2009 00:39 EDT (US)     25 / 33  
Venice is annoying to exterminate, especially with them having Iraklion and Ragusa.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Total War Discussion » What is the best faction for a noob?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames