You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Weird tactic that you might want to try... (or not)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 13 April 2005 07:48 EDT (US)   
Envision an army with 8 Sacred Band phalanxes and 12 Round Shields. Or 8 Spartans and 12 Greek cav. Then envision how you are going to use it.

Head hurting yet?

After reading "How Wars Are Won" by Bevin Alexander, I had several ideas, some of them insane, some of them not. This is one of the insane ones.

Step 1.
Buy at least 8 of the best phalanxes you can afford, and buy at least 8 of the worst non-missile cavalry you can field. Currently my experiments have involved 8 phalanxes and 12 cavalry, but I think the mix can be changed. Upgrade your phalanxes with any money leftover.

Step 2.
Put the phalanxes into a formation four units wide and two or three units deep, depending on the army composition. Then put equal numbers of crap cavalry on each flank. Group the central phalanxes. Your choice as to whether you want to group the flanks.

CCC PPPP CCC
CCC PPPP CCC

Step 3.
Advance your central phalanxes as one against the enemy center. If he has onagers, take them out of phalanx and run. If he doesn't, just move in phalanx. Keep your cav where they are. Their purpose is not to threaten, but to NOT THREATEN.

Step 4.
Get the enemy to surround you. Yes, you heard me, get him to surround you. Try to keep your rear rank just behind your front ranks, but carefully out of the action, so that they can counter any flanking manuever. Let your front absorb the enemy charge. If he tries to flank you, turn the rear ranks and start kicking ass.

If he refuses to move, take your phalanxes out of guard mode, and then move the whole group behind the enemy line. They should immediately slaughter the unit in front of them. Keep your eyes on them and your hands near the Guard mode buttonl; once the enemy charges, turn on Guard mode and use your rear rank to deflect enemy attacks.

Thanks to dad_savage for the second part

Step 5.
Bog him down. As long as you do not rout quickly, you can drag him to a prolonged fight. Try and get the entire enemy army to attack you, and preferably completely surround your phalanxes.

Alone, your units inevitably lose, but they aren't alone.

Remember those crap cavalry?

Now it's the time they show their, erm, worth. Bring them forth and charge into the backs of soldiers who are already engaged with your phalanxes. Even Round Shields will cause white flags to pop up all over the enemy's puny Urban cohorts if they are being engaged with Sacred Band from the front and 6 Round Shields from behind! Avoid any enemy that turns, you want to hit the units that will rout.

This tactic goes against the two sacred rules of R:TW - never get surrounded, and never use crap cavalry. Amazingly, however, opponents seem to have a tendency to fall for the attractive bait of eight easily outflanked phalanxes, and like to ignore light cavalry, no matter in what numbers.

Replies:
posted 13 April 2005 07:53 EDT (US)     1 / 54  
Sounds good, I'll have to try. But wouldn't it work better if you had at least one missile cav/archer unit to harass the enemy?

OBLIVION
posted 13 April 2005 07:58 EDT (US)     2 / 54  
Works perfectly against AI. Worthless against any human opponent.

Humans would keep reserves to deal with any threat that might remain - they should at least have two groups of spearmen in any army, and when you keep some cavalry behind, expect those to catch them up. Your phalanx will be up for quite a fight, but enemy infantry won't simply engage their backs and never look around - your crap cav will get slaughtered.

Outoi sunechthein,
Alla sunphilein ephun
- Antigonč

Not to hate,
But to Love I was born

posted 13 April 2005 08:05 EDT (US)     3 / 54  
Never played against the AI, worked against human opponents with Macedon, Greek Cities, Carthage, Seleucids, and Egypt, narrowly defeated as Pontus and Armenia.

Quote:

Your phalanx will be up for quite a fight, but enemy infantry won't simply engage their backs and never look aroun

They will. If they turn while engaging the phalanxes, they get a huge morale penalty for turning their backs on, say, Spartans or 3-exp Pharoah's Guards. If they don't turn, they get a huge morale penalty for turning their backs to 300 horses charging into them.
posted 13 April 2005 08:10 EDT (US)     4 / 54  
Hmm. But chances are, your opponent will have a couple NON-crap units of cav fielded. If those manage to hit the inferior cav, them round shields are toast.

Still, sounds fun against pure infantry armies. And just hearing your opponent going "WTF?!" when he sees that many Round Shields or Greek cav should be worth it. heh.

Veni, Vidi, Pwni.

Read my after action reports for my Austrian campaign: Broken Alliance
posted 13 April 2005 08:14 EDT (US)     5 / 54  
I've done that against armies with 4+ Praetorian cavalry. Granted, I played at around 8am - 10am GMT, so the skill level is a little lower, but it worked.

On cavalry, I actually avoid confrontation with them, or swarm them with superior numbers (as in 4-6 times the numbers). It's amazing how they prefer to use cavalry to flank my phalanxes instead of attacking the crap cavalry.

posted 13 April 2005 08:33 EDT (US)     6 / 54  
I guess the saving grace of this tactic is that the cavalry are "throw-aways".
The pride of this army are the phalanx units.
By the time the human player reacted to the charging cavalry (light), one flank of the encircling army would have routed.
The phalanxes would carry the day (hopefully).

jwqh,

[This message has been edited by jwqh (edited 04-13-2005 @ 08:34 AM).]

posted 13 April 2005 08:51 EDT (US)     7 / 54  
They won't have time to react to the charging cavalry, or don't have any options, since they are already engaged by phalanxes.

Try sandwiching a Spartan between a unit of vanilla Hoplites and Greek cavalry. The Spartan will rout.

posted 13 April 2005 08:57 EDT (US)     8 / 54  
Imagine the look on someone's face if you manage to hide the cav in a forest. Or at least part of it so it looks like not worth bothering with. I am definitely giving this a try. Personally, when I see cavalry even slightly inferrior to mine, I like to do the cav duel and then come back to flank the inf.

The last thing to go through my mind was the pavement...
-"Where the hell is Bulgaria?"
-"On the west coast of Mars."
posted 13 April 2005 09:29 EDT (US)     9 / 54  
I still think you should have at least one ranged unit. But that's just me.

OBLIVION
posted 13 April 2005 09:37 EDT (US)     10 / 54  
On an average, how many of your units are left?

"And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge with Ate by his side come hot from hell, shall in these confines with a monarch's voice cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war..." - Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene 1
posted 13 April 2005 12:33 EDT (US)     11 / 54  

Interesting Firefox. Very interesting. Is there a possbility of combining different Phalanxes? Something like this -

Egypt 10k:

4 Pharaoh's gaurd (1 EXP each), 6 Nile Spears (1 armour each), 8 Desert Cavalry (1 armour for you general's unit)

A formation like this, you must admit, is certain to silence the dissidence of people detracting from the cavalry element. I mean so the enemy comes after your cavalry? Wow, they die anyway.

posted 13 April 2005 14:30 EDT (US)     12 / 54  

Quote:

Imagine the look on someone's face if you manage to hide the cav in a forest. Or at least part of it so it looks like not worth bothering with.

Again, this will not work with human players. I mean, if you were playing a game, and you see that your opponent has got 6 hoplite units. Only six. Only hoplites. And a huge forest behind or at the sides of those. Get the picture?

Outoi sunechthein,
Alla sunphilein ephun
- Antigonč

Not to hate,
But to Love I was born

posted 14 April 2005 04:13 EDT (US)     13 / 54  

Quote:

On an average, how many of your units are left?

If the opponent falls for the bait, and I don't make any stupid mistakes, no routers. If my opponent uses Parthia and goes for Persians covered by catas, zero kills.

Quote:

Again, this will not work with human players. I mean, if you were playing a game, and you see that your opponent has got 6 hoplite units. Only six. Only hoplites. And a huge forest behind or at the sides of those. Get the picture?

1. I never play on single player.
2. I only host Grassy Flatland games.
posted 14 April 2005 12:58 EDT (US)     14 / 54  
That's exactly why it wouldn't work.

Outoi sunechthein,
Alla sunphilein ephun
- Antigonč

Not to hate,
But to Love I was born

posted 14 April 2005 13:06 EDT (US)     15 / 54  
The problem with having clearly upgraded cavalry is that your opponent would be less likely to commit fully to wiping out the infantry. With firefox's strategy as it is, he's using a group of very strong, but limited mobility infantry.

You can't just walk a few other infantry up to meet spartans or sacred band, they're gonna require a significant number of units to engage. And i expect the strategy lies in the fact that people think 'if i wipe out the spartans/sacred band, he's done! and i can wipe them out now because i can outflank them with my full army!'.

Then they lose.

If you wanted to buff up the cav a bit, I wonder about sticking with crap cav but upgrading it.

posted 14 April 2005 19:47 EDT (US)     16 / 54  
This strat might work, because of its audacity.

Michael Jackson
posted 14 April 2005 20:04 EDT (US)     17 / 54  
ignore this

[This message has been edited by Sleeper2 (edited 04-14-2005 @ 08:07 PM).]

posted 14 April 2005 22:07 EDT (US)     18 / 54  
Really this tactic is against the human psychi, which will often work, because minds think alike.

posted 15 April 2005 04:27 EDT (US)     19 / 54  

Quote:

That's exactly why it wouldn't work.

Did you bother reading the topic post? If you had, you would have noticed the references to this being actually effective.
posted 15 April 2005 12:10 EDT (US)     20 / 54  
Yes, well, I don't know who you're playing against , but I'm making statements on why it *shouldn't* work. At least not if someone presented this to me... I hope.

Outoi sunechthein,
Alla sunphilein ephun
- Antigonč

Not to hate,
But to Love I was born

posted 15 April 2005 12:43 EDT (US)     21 / 54  
Multiplayer is a bit like Chess. Against a really good player, you can't see what's coming until it's far too late to do anything about it. As a general, if you see a lineup that you haven't seen before, you need to analyse it if you want to fight it effectively. There's a lot of analysis goed into these formations, and the other guy gets perhaps two minutes if he's lucky until you engage. If he's analysing your formation then he's getting his army wiped out, and if he's managing his army he reacts to your moves because he either doesn't know what is coming, or he has only one sensible option to preserve his troops. Thus, you can win by being unusual and or audacious.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 16 April 2005 17:01 EDT (US)     22 / 54  
This wouldn't work all of the time. The enemy would catch about half your generals once you're in the vulnerable state

talk about backfire

posted 16 April 2005 18:41 EDT (US)     23 / 54  
^No tactic works all the time. What he is aiming is that it works more than its backfires.

posted 20 April 2005 06:48 EDT (US)     24 / 54  
Sounds very interesting...

wouldnt a set up of archers and cav finish this very easily? You may say that you wouldn't normally get an army just composing of that, but a faction like egypt of germans and especially gaul arcehrs are a muist have agianst phalanxs. you only have eight phalnxs, so what if i decided to rush you cav and rush your phalanxs. Even if your cav beats mine i ahve already dealt with the infantry and even if the cav can get to the aid of your infnantry they would have suffered heavy losses and so wouldnt be as effective.

WOuldnt a better option be to use crap infantry and awseome cav, like use milita hoplites and catas. The person wouldnt take your infantry seriously and so would take on you cav ignoring your infantry, then you take infantry out of phalanx and charge the cav thas in combat agaisnt the cav. The enemy cav will rout and they will be left with archers and infantry. Run yur infantry to them like you said and do it that way.

The other option would be to use a faction like gypt or scythia and have desert axmen and charitos or flax men( or whatever they are called) and HHs?

I havnt tested any of this so it might not work. This all jsut came off the top of my head.

Also most people wouldnt attack uber pikemen head on. They would go for the flanks, so might this put you at a sever disadvantasge co the enemy are concentrated on a small flnak not a wall, so when your crap cav engage there are eneough enemy not doing anything to be able to fight on two fronts?

■L■■A■■S■■H■■A■

[This message has been edited by MyArse (edited 20-08-2009 @ 19:50 PM).]
posted 20 April 2005 06:53 EDT (US)     25 / 54  
Parthia does cause a massacre of this strat.

Quote:

WOuldnt a better option be to use crap infantry and awseome cav, like use milita hoplites and catas. The person wouldnt take your infantry seriously and so would take on you cav ignoring your infantry, then you take infantry out of phalanx and charge the cav thas in combat agaisnt the cav. The enemy cav will rout and they will be left with archers and infantry. Run yur infantry to them like you said and do it that way.

Because infantry doesn't move nearly as quickly as cavalry, can be taken out easily, and cav aren't good at holding?

Quote:

The other option would be to use a faction like gypt or scythia and have desert axmen and charitos or flax men( or whatever they are called) and HHs?

Do you know how quickly falxmen and axemen rout?

Quote:

Also most people wouldnt attack uber pikemen head on. They would go for the flanks, so might this put you at a sever disadvantasge co the enemy are concentrated on a small flnak not a wall

I WANT them to flank me. That's why I have backup phalanxes to counter flanking.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Weird tactic that you might want to try... (or not)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames