You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Flame arrows, Or regular Ones???
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04 November 2005 10:47 EDT (US)   
Hey there again everyone. Just a simple question, and Im sure some of you will be "annoyed " by it, if you are dont bother commenting. Anyway, which is better to use, the flame arrows or the regular ones. It seems the regular ones shoot faster, and do more damage. I never checked the specs or anything, just from watching my archers firing.

Anyone?

Also, if you feel like answering this question, and excuse my lack of terminology, but is the cohort's archer cover formation good for hand to hand fighting as well, or just good for defending against archers?

Replies:
posted 04 November 2005 11:54 EDT (US)     1 / 41  
Flaming arrows take longer to reload, are less accurate, and do less damage than normal ones. But they frighten enemies much better than normal ones.

I would recommend flaming arrows only if you are outnumbered, in which this case routing some of the enemy is more important than killing all of them.

posted 04 November 2005 11:56 EDT (US)     2 / 41  
Flaming arrows are less effective (less precisely), but do lower the morale!! Especially usefull against, cavalery / chariots, elephants and low morale units (peasants etc).

Regular arrows are more effective (more precisely).

GdB

"The story of our life, in the end, is not our life, it is our story" - Americano
Ad furore Dutchmannorum libera nos domine - Ace Cataphract
posted 04 November 2005 12:44 EDT (US)     3 / 41  

Quote:

Also, if you feel like answering this question, and excuse my lack of terminology, but is the cohort's archer cover formation good for hand to hand fighting as well, or just good for defending against archers?

I believe you're referring to the "testudo"... I believe it is only useful against projectiles, and it's very exhausting for your troops, so only use it if the enemy are raining down projectiles on your troops. If you used it for hand-to-hand, your troopers would be too exhausted to effectively win a confrontation.

posted 04 November 2005 13:52 EDT (US)     4 / 41  
crtChunk72 :: ya that makes sense, thanx.
posted 04 November 2005 15:37 EDT (US)     5 / 41  
If I'm fighting a heavily armoured enemy, I use flaming because I have found it does more damage to armoured opponents. But against opponents with no armour like peasants, I use regular.
posted 04 November 2005 18:05 EDT (US)     6 / 41  
I would use flaming arrows when:

1) I was getting seiged and I have at least a stone wall, I would aim the flamed arrows at seige weapons.

2) Elephants or anything that scares easily.

3) MAYBE to skirmish frone line troops.

4) Not when I am outnumbered as u need the kills from the normal arrows, but I would use it if the enemy is in a tight formation, definate.

posted 04 November 2005 20:06 EDT (US)     7 / 41  
I don't use flaming arrows cause whenever I use them the game slows right down when they're in the air. This computer is supposed to be "fast". I just bought it, but maybe it's the video card. Other than that I also don't use them because I would rather see a bunch of them suddenly frop in the dust than see them squeal and run.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 05 November 2005 00:58 EDT (US)     8 / 41  
If I have enough archer units say at least four I find it is best to mix and match. Use two units for regular arrows to cause more damage and the other two use flaming arrows to cause more panic. I have found the combination can be deadly especially when picking on one unit at a time but it is each to their own.

Noli illegitimi carborundum.
If at first you don't succeed give up for it obviously isn't worth the effort.
Why stand up when you can sit down, why sit down when you can lie down.
posted 05 November 2005 02:22 EDT (US)     9 / 41  
Flaming arrows can be more lethal for units with better armour but accuracy is to be compensated for just like using fire when using the onagers.so it would be wise to choose during the battle WHAT YOU WANT.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
posted 05 November 2005 02:27 EDT (US)     10 / 41  
I've noticed that fire arrows are great against armored units. I always use them since they reduce the moral of the enemy considerably, and when they finally start routing I turn of the fire in order to get more kills.
posted 05 November 2005 05:56 EDT (US)     11 / 41  
it seems to me that fire arrows are effective against chariots, they ignite them even if there is more than one man left in the wagon

"The real Art of Peace is not to sacrifice a single one of your warriors to defeat an enemy. Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses."
-Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido

English is not my first language, so please excuse me.

posted 05 November 2005 06:48 EDT (US)     12 / 41  
Rain firey death down upon your foes.

Gaius Sacratus,
Commander of the Northern Roman Legions.
posted 05 November 2005 19:15 EDT (US)     13 / 41  
I'd like to second "im_a_beaver." I haven't seen solid evidence, but in my experience, flaming arrows seem to be more deadly against chariots than regular ones.

As to what to use when, I think it depends on what you're attacking. Use flaming arrows against units with poor morale and you'll cause them to rout very quickly. This can be very useful in engineering a full-army rout.

I'll second using them on armored troops, too. I've heard nothing about a damage bonus against armor, but your standard arrows aren't going to pierce it very well, so go for the morale.

In defending a town, I haven't had any luck getting flaming arrows to ignite siege equipment. Only the ones fired from the towers automatically seem to do it. So in that case, use standard arrows. You'll want to kill off as many people behind the siege equipment as possible, and if you rout them with flaming arrows, you're locked in a city - they'll just run away for a while and come back, most likely. Stick with the sharps here.

posted 22 November 2005 17:43 EDT (US)     14 / 41  

Quoted from lmao:

I don't use flaming arrows cause whenever I use them the game slows right down when they're in the air. This computer is supposed to be "fast". I just bought it, but maybe it's the video card.

What is your card, its onboard memory, and your Motherboard's BIOS setting called "AGP Aperture Size" set to? Your problem is a classic texture issue, possibly aggravated by the GART driver (depending on the exact chipset driver you use for your motherboard). Post in the tech forum if its still a problem for you. And set AGP Aperture Size to 128MB (see here for why).

About arrows, standard are:
1. AP (Armor piercing, compare in unit matchups)
2. Reload at a faster rate
3. Aim more accurately

Flaming arrows:
1. Sap morale quicker (esp. certain units like elephants)
2. Are less accurate
3. Can burn certain structures
4. Lethality depends, in part, on unit matchup and attack direction
5. Are readily identifiable (unit and target) in certain crowded battle situations

posted 22 November 2005 20:48 EDT (US)     15 / 41  
One thing that I did find flaming arrows useful for is in defending your units as they're taking an entry point in a city assault. In a recent game I had two units of archers pumping away at units of mercenary hoplites which kept retreating once the fire started raining down upon them. Eventually, I had decimated most of the units which got within range and was able to keep the entry point clear until I could begin the final assault to take the city square. In a subsequent battle, the archers were useful in keeping the enemy generals at bay until I could finish them off on the city square with the rest of my army which had broken through.
posted 24 November 2005 10:18 EDT (US)     16 / 41  
Ive been playing with flaming arrows for a while now just to try it out, and basically I found that when it comes to armoured troops, they are really good. They are also really good against cavalry.

I do find however that when the enemy is charging at you, the normal arrows are more effective because the enemies shields are down while they run.

Anyone agree?????

posted 24 November 2005 11:49 EDT (US)     17 / 41  
ALL THE WAY!!!!!

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein

[This message has been edited by lmao (edited 11-24-2005 @ 11:50 AM).]

posted 24 November 2005 16:31 EDT (US)     18 / 41  
Personally, I use normal arrows unless I am facing Elephants or Scythed chariots. I find the greater accuracy works better, as I usually fire all my arrows at long range then close in and finish the enemy off. A little boring I know, but your archers rack up the experience like it's going out of fashion and Cretan Archers + 3 Silver Chevrons + Silver Weapons + +10 attack bonus from general's proximity = Awesome fire power.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 24 November 2005 20:00 EDT (US)     19 / 41  
Remember, if you have less than 10 archers left in a unit, then let them use fire. Less than 10 arrows probably wont kill anyone but they sure have the morale reduction intact.

Michael Jackson
posted 24 November 2005 21:42 EDT (US)     20 / 41  
Many of you may be angry at me about this but.... you are wrong. Flaming arrows cause more damage but are less accurate and they play against moral like you said. They dont shoot as far and it takes longer to reload. But if the army is in a tightly packed formation you should use flaming arrows. Regular arrows are just more accurate and shoot farther.
posted 25 November 2005 00:23 EDT (US)     21 / 41  
Flaming arrows are amazing against unarmoured barbarian units, like swordsmen, warband or barbarian cavalry. Otherwise, regular arrows are better.

"War does not decide who is right... only who is left." -Bertrand Russell
posted 25 November 2005 08:27 EDT (US)     22 / 41  

Quote:

Regular arrows are just more accurate and shoot farther.

Regular arrow are more accurate than flame arrows, yes. But they do not shoot farther. Their range is the same.
posted 25 November 2005 08:54 EDT (US)     23 / 41  
I use flames when Their long reload time does not affect me. say if the enemies troops are inthe town sqaure,I bring in the archers with flame arrows, it worked wonders once against a strong greek force.

But if im in the open plain battleing it out, I ussualy choose regular, especcialy if I can maneuver 'round their flanka nd fire into their rear, where the quick shots are very good.

I must say though i like watching people burst into flames.

Has any one found out how to destroy a seige tower? I can never do it, even with hundreds of flaming arrows and regular arrows flying towards it.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 25 November 2005 09:27 EDT (US)     24 / 41  
misplacedgeneral ::: A good way to take out siege towers ( Most people probably wont like this idea ) is to have a few squads of men or cavalry that you can freely use. Position them at your gate ready to run out. Then as the siege tower is close to the walls, send your squads out on RUN, and attack the men pushing the siege tower. Every time I did it in VH, it totally suprised the enemy and I killed the men pushing the tower! The army they had waiting behind to attack didnt move cause they were totally suprised. Therefore, I had time to attack one or two more towers with that little force. Still left with the rest in the base. Then by the time their reserves think of rushing my little attack squads, they are out numbered as I am already bringing out my army.

It worked many times for me!!

posted 25 November 2005 10:17 EDT (US)     25 / 41  
Iv never used that tactic for towers, I use it against ladders though with my cavalry. Il have to try it. thank you undefeatable

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Flame arrows, Or regular Ones???
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames