Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Siege Battle Tactic #1: by Undefeatable
posted 25 May 2006 10:39 EDT (US)   
Undefeatable here again with another. Here is one way in which I take a city. More to come...In this tactic, you are utilizing the strength of Hoplites. I created this style when I was using the Greeks, but I guess it would work for pretty much any faction with strong Infantry.

In this tactic, there is no need for Cavalry, just patience, and good unit control. I would usually use this style of attack when the enemy had a good number of troops, as it forces them to slipt their forces, or concentrate on one of your only. Which in turn, gives you the advantage either way! Enjoy...

Faction:Any with phalanx, hoplite or sacred band infantry. Even Roman style Infantry.
Type: City Siege, stone walls.
Situation: Offence.
Info: Relitively simple unit count. Easy to gather and control.

Troops needed:
15 Hoplites. I prefer Spartan's or Armoured!
4 Onagers
6 Siege Towers
1 General

This is your basic diversion tactic. Basically you have 3 squads, or forces. Your main force where your General sits, is the squad that will start the siege first. Here is the order of movements I suggest you make.

1. Begin Onager fire on the walls to the left, and right of the main gate. Hold off on the Siege towers for now!

2. Once the walls start to come down, begin to move the siege towers to their locations as shown on the diagram.

3. By now, the walls should come down, and the siege towers should be at the wall, beginning their landing. Let the siege towers land, and deploy!!!

4. As the siege tower troops are deploying, begin marching your main force toward the holes in the wall by the main gate. Here you will definately face the bulk of their forces, if not all of them. But your Armoured or Spartan Hoplites will hold their ground, if not begin to push the enemy back.

5. As the main force is marching, begin moving the far most left siege squad into the streets, and toward the city center, hopefully undetected, or with little to no resistance!

6. If needed, move the middle siege squad to the main gate in order to take it. Helping your main force win the battle. You could also send this squad to help the other that is trecking toward the city center. You will know what to do by the outcome of the attack so far!

7. The rest is pretty much up to you. So far, your main force should be battling their's, and wining, and your far most left squad should be on their way to the city center. Your middle squad is basically reinforcements for either force, you must decide.

Sorry if I missed anything. It all kinda gets confusing when typing it on this screen. But this tactic, which I'm sure a lot of you already do, will 90% of the time give you a complete win, suffering minor casualties. Which is a good thing,lol.

Anyway, enjoy...And ideas are welcome!

Unde

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 05-25-2006 @ 10:41 AM).]

Replies:
posted 25 May 2006 11:08 EDT (US)     1 / 16  
This is a good strategy for those who are Greeks. I don't like attacking settlements with hoplites though because on the wall they have to use their swords and they aren't that great with those. But if your Greek you have to, so this is a good setup.
A lot depends on who you are attacking to, if your attacking other phalanx based factions (basically other Greeks) then this is definately a smart setup. However, if you were attacking the Romans and I had these troops I'd actually just wait till the onagers knock the walls down (aiming for where the enemy is standing on, knock the wall down from underneath them, causing heavy casualties) then move my hoplites in a phalanx, gosh I love that phalanx. Their easily five times as good in a phalanx than with their swords.
These threads are fun, you can learn stuff and share information. Exactly the thing the strategy section needs.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
posted 25 May 2006 11:31 EDT (US)     2 / 16  
Ya, but even if the AI is Roman, they stand no chance, well, maybe some . Even if they put men on their walls where the siege squads are, they're just splitting their force too much. And your main force will overwhelm them at the main gate. And if you are worried about that, send your middle siege squad to get control of the gate while your main force moves in.

The good thing about this tactic, is it has many options to counter the enemy's un-predicted movements. But, it was generally created for Greeks, or any Hoplite faction!

Thanx TWF!!!

posted 25 May 2006 14:24 EDT (US)     3 / 16  
EDIT: Text deleated, wrong thread.

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 05-25-2006 @ 02:25 PM).]

posted 25 May 2006 16:03 EDT (US)     4 / 16  
This would work betetr as the Romans, for their pila work well when thrown off walls.

The best things to do as a greek is to wait for a sally

hey Undefeatable, do you mind if I make some of these type threads, but for RTR?

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 25 May 2006 16:53 EDT (US)     5 / 16  
I'd never seen this before, but it was awesome to watch it fall while they were inside.
http://www.ccsantos.com/rtw/rome/struck_down.JPG
posted 25 May 2006 17:16 EDT (US)     6 / 16  
Not if their yours.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
posted 25 May 2006 20:09 EDT (US)     7 / 16  
posted 31 May 2006 10:11 EDT (US)     8 / 16  
posted 01 June 2006 03:22 EDT (US)     9 / 16  
is this just for against the ai? it might work against people too but you've predicted reactions with some sort of certainty. Who's to say the opponent wont be sat with phalanxes around the entrances to the town square bit?
posted 01 June 2006 08:24 EDT (US)     10 / 16  
posted 03 June 2006 06:32 EDT (US)     11 / 16  
this is an attacking strategy - you cant do the standard line of spears like that unless you're defending :0)

has anyone worked out a way of fighting the standard defense yet? or is it just a case of mash them with missiles and/or other phalanxes?

posted 03 June 2006 13:10 EDT (US)     12 / 16  
posted 04 June 2006 07:18 EDT (US)     13 / 16  
i meant a defence made of hoplites/other long spears in some sort of blocking off either entry points or around the town square (when done by people). admittedly there are other defences (which are more interesting) with wall defending and non-hoplite armies, but I meant the spears one (e.g. see the link undefeatable wrote).
posted 04 June 2006 11:42 EDT (US)     14 / 16  
I play against the AI. I usually try to get it to move its phalanx with some bait/lure.

Missiles into their backs. I might fire over the heads of the Phalanx nearest, in order to fire into the backs of a phalanx guarding an entrance on the oposite side of the square.

Only other times ive seen a phalanx beat head on are with multiple hit point units...generals/elephants...or a better phalanx.

Knowing you are going up against a phalanx army..you prepare with lots of powerful missile units..Cretans and Bareric/Rhodian slingers.

posted 05 June 2006 09:49 EDT (US)     15 / 16  
posted 05 June 2006 12:00 EDT (US)     16 / 16  
if that was a question at me then you did understand my question and i just misread your reply (unless you meant my responce question - there I was thinking you meant that rather than using the method of fooling the a.i. you had given an alternative attacking idea, which by linking to a defence post didnt make sense, but since it was how you'd defend it did)

my main problem in city fights is that when i tell my people to move near the centre they tend to all go in stupid ways and get themselves dead. if i meant my horsie stick throwing men to cross the square (through the enemy phalanx in the middle) I'd have told them to do that rather than the 'walk around the outside' command i thought i'd said.

an alternative semi exploit I just did as selucid against egypt was to have a small army against a full city - two phalanxes rush to the gate when they sally (why not? they would crush me on autoresolve so not too scared) and use the standard phalanx defence tactic against them - they send the general and maybe some other cav around so you need people to deal with those but the rest rush to their deaths on your spears. problems come with skirmishing troops who turn back before coming through - not sure how to get them all without going in. This way the small army can take a city quicker than a large one as they might not sally to the big army.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Siege Battle Tactic #1: by Undefeatable
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames