You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ambush Tactic #1: by Undefeatable...Battle Pics???
posted 28 May 2006 11:53 EDT (US)   
Hello everyone, here is another tactic which I feel must be put out there. Its your basic Ambush Tactic. Great for giving yourself the advantage on the battle field.

Note: I have updated my Rome: Total War to Rome: Total Realism!

And I have also added a small Battle Pic Story in this post. It will show you how this Basic Ambush works, and the advantage it will give you. TWF and EOJ, you guys will like this, or appreciate it. Small battle pic I know, but more to come. Oh, and thanks to misplacedgeneral for reccomending this upgrade. Its amazing to say the least. The map is HUGE! And the units are awesome.

Faction: Any Faction. I'm using Roman Republic. (hehe, RTR)
Type: Field Battle
Situation: Ambush (Defensive - Offensive)
Info: Gives you the advantage. Minor casualties!

Troops needed:
Heavy Infantry
Light Infantry
Cavalry
General
Archers if you want
(Ambush force's vary in size, depending on you.)

^Your basic ambush tactic. A brute charge from a hidden position. Very effective, especially when outnumbered.

1. Set up your infantry in a straight line. 2 lines if you want, just make sure you have enough length to cover the Enemy's length. Take a guess, you know how many men they have!

2. Make sure all your men have the ambush symbol beside their pics. Looks like a tree.

3. Your General will NOT be able to hide! But this is good. Make sure to place him behind your force, so the enemy will go to him. In turn, making them walk right into the trap!

4. Once set up, generally as the diagram shows, but may have to vary depending on your situation, HOLD! AND WAIT.

Everything else should go like this!

How my formation looks. 2 Lines, and they are thick because the Greek's are small. A little different from the diagram because I have no Archer's, or Cavalry support. Only the General. But I am at the beginning of my campaign, third battle, and my force is small!

Rome: Total Realism is awesome! A look at the Triari, waiting in ambush mode.

A look at the Roman Hastati Light Infantry, waiting. You can see the tips of the Greek's Hoplitae spears. Cool.

The Greek Hoplitae(sp?). Walking toward their inevitable death. But, I will have to perform a flanking manoeuver when they hit my lines. Spears are still dangerous!

Ok, so they got Ambushed! You can see I have already flanked them, and still have reserves in the back. But the Greek's have a larger force coming to my left! No worry.

A closer look at the fighting. Defeat is almost certain for the Greek's. lol.

So the first Greek unit is destroyed! And the second larger one is closing in. So I quickly reset the Ambush to my left. And begin to send my main units to the bottom, in order to flank the new Greek's coming!

A look at the Greek's closing in.

High up you can see the Greek's coming in with my 2 units waiting. My General is swinging around to the left as you can see. And my other units are swinging around to the right as you can see.

^ "Century's! Keep the line tight! Hold your grounds! We will show these Greek Dog's how true passion is fought on the battle field!"

^ "Praetorian's! CHARRRRRGE!"

^ "Left Rannnks! ATTACK! Right Ranks, MOVE MOVE MOVE! ATTACK!"

Look at him go. The valiant General.

Ok, so they are surrounded! Good, they will rout soon. They have one more unti coming, but you can see my reserves to the right.

I've attacked the last unit. And they are surrounded as you can see, soon, they will rout. And I will chase down all the retreaters. Even their general so far away. Hehe

As I promised. No survivors!

Men ramaining. 0 - 0. Ahahahahhahaha. lol.

So there ya go friends. A succesfull Ambush. Romans VS Greeks. Enjoy, and feel free to ask.

Unde

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 05-28-2006 @ 12:01 PM).]

Replies:
posted 28 May 2006 12:38 EDT (US)     1 / 9  
No problem Undefeatable, glad you enjoy it, I in fact just did a strategic ambush (campaign map) as the Greeks against Macedon.

A common tactic I use as the Romans I'l post later on.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 28 May 2006 13:25 EDT (US)     2 / 9  
I am tempted to do RTR. I'll upgrade soon
Awsome, Undefeatable. I never did manage to pull off a convincing ambush. Thanks for that

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 28 May 2006 14:23 EDT (US)     3 / 9  
EoJ, it'l take a while for the download, but the install is quick, and it is highly worth it.

And to both of you, I suggest getting 6.2 also after 6.0, and the music add on 6.2, both do very well.

EDIT: What do you guys use to do the diagram?

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson

[This message has been edited by misplacedgeneral (edited 05-28-2006 @ 02:47 PM).]

posted 28 May 2006 16:39 EDT (US)     4 / 9  
posted 28 May 2006 16:46 EDT (US)     5 / 9  
I personally never use such formations in my ambushes. My ambushes have my men divided in unexpected ways based on how I assume the enemy to position his forces. I'll also break the ambush in ways that are misleading, such as making hidden units behind other hidden units reveal themselves and seem vulnerable, causing the enemy to send their forces against them, only to be met by forces that were closer up and ready to attack, then attacking with both.

My methods of ambushing are completely dependant on the terrain and are basically never consistent, but I strongly avoid trying to put up a solid front, but rather prefer to lure enemies into traps where their forces will divide themselves and I can use mobility and surprise to conquer.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 28 May 2006 17:22 EDT (US)     6 / 9  
I ambush differently. I use the general's inability to hide in such a way that i set up half of my force perpendicular to the general (facing each other), a bit of a distance apart - hidden in the trees, of course. When the enemy closes in on the general, they get smashed from two sides...3 if you count the general charging in after.

This is what I mean:

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
G

(Where 'G' is the general and the vertical lines are groups of infantry)

"God has given us no greater spur to victory than contempt of death"
posted 28 May 2006 17:27 EDT (US)     7 / 9  
Ok, I am using the same thing, but I am trying to get good clear writing on it, I might base it on colors.

I usually use missile cavalry andlight infintry in ambushes, waiting till the enemy passes and then pelting them with javelins.

posted 28 May 2006 18:23 EDT (US)     8 / 9  
i generally place my ambushes a while away from my line. either some place ill run my more valuable troops to if i start losing.. or in the path of where my cav will be charging as they flank.. ( nothing like ambushing enemy cav... )

and of course if i knew in which direction my armies would rout id place a couple of berserker's along that path or something. ( just to steal any chance of heroic victory right at the last second. )

of course Ive only started using ambushes since i started playing bi.. no more phalanx to pin down enemies.

hiding ones whole line is all good against ai.. you can pop out of nowhere and the enemy will loose morale due to the ambush.. then you slaughter them because they rout alot faster then normal.

but say if you want to do something practical.. something with half a chance to work against an actual player.

you could say.... send your archers to skirmishers ahead to harass the enemy.. get them to far ahead of your line.. ( say you make your infantry walk and your archers run ahead start firing on enemies.

then you get your archers to far ahead and cant get them back to your line before enemy cav will slaughter them.. so you do next best thing.. you run like a sissy for the nearest hill...

and the enemy cav charges along behind cutting down your troops... until suddenly theve run into an ambush of spearmen. ( maybe some very light cav.. not to many units or it becomes obvious your hiding some... if only 3 units are missing they might just think you've upgraded something.)

you will effectively win the battle by this alone. you lost a few archers or skirmishers, but you've destroyed at-least a few units of enemy cav, and as everyone who plays rtw should know.. cavalry superiority is very important.

but in any case ambush tactics are completely reliant upon the terrain your playing...

be creative and never ever repeat... atleast not against the same player, against ai's its okay.. but then playing against an ai really isn't worth it.

[This message has been edited by shaio (edited 05-28-2006 @ 06:29 PM).]

posted 29 May 2006 08:15 EDT (US)     9 / 9  
For most of you, this is 1 way of performing an Ambush. And is very effective. If you guys have your own ideas, create some threads and show us your stuff, as EOJ and TWF and misplacedgeneral are doing.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Ambush Tactic #1: by Undefeatable...Battle Pics???
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames