You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Greek Field Battle Tactic: by Undefeatable (single player)
posted 30 May 2006 11:36 EDT (US)   
Regardless of what the title says, this can be used for any Phalanx faction. I've even tried it with the Roman's, and was surprised that it was succesful.

This is something I devised while playing with the Greeks as I was looking for an advantage on the battlefield. You all know that the Greek's have crap for Cavalry, so something was needed to give me the edge, and this tactic works about 78% of the time. The 22% is human error! This tactic requires major perfect timing and micromanaging. But, Im positive all of you can do it, just takes a little bit of practice.

Faction: Created for Greek's. But any will work.
Type: Field Battle
Situation: Offense (Attacking)
Info: Hard to perform. Requires simultaneous timing.

Troops needed:
10 Armoured Hoplites. Spartan's would abviously be the best!!!!
5 Archer's
4 Onagers
1 General

1. So, do as the pictures show. The second pic is just to clear it up, make it easier to read. Anyway, once your main army is close enough to almost begin the battle, attack with your archers. Go for any units that you feel might cause a problem.

2. As your archers are firing, and the enemy is probably advancing now, ATTACK with your far right 2 Hoplite units. Attack them at the side, and as they hit, attack with your main army. Be sure you watch your archers so they dont hit your own men!!!!

3. By now, you also should have stopped your onagers from fireing, as they would hurt your men!!!!

This tactic works great for causing the enemy to rout really fast, rather then fighting till the death. Like I said before, this requires next to perfect timing as you can see, and is obviously up for minor changes, but the general idea works awesome!

If you are worried about the enemy flanking you before you can perform your maneouvers, then make sure to concentrate all Archer and Onager fire power on their units that will try to flank you. If you manage to get Creten Archers, then you will not have to worry about it, because they will cause the flanking unit to rout, via flame arrows. Even Greek regular Archers will do the trick!

Anyway, questions and comments are welcome!
Enjoy!
Unde

Replies:
posted 30 May 2006 14:39 EDT (US)     1 / 9  
I like it.

Especially the enemy Biotches part

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 30 May 2006 14:50 EDT (US)     2 / 9  
Good strategy.

Seems even more effective with the Romans.

posted 31 May 2006 08:53 EDT (US)     3 / 9  
Thanks.

And yes, this does work well with the Roman's. Pretty much any faction actually. But the main reason I created it was to give people an advantage with the Greeks, since their Cavalry sucks. But if you can utilize it elsewhere, then all the power to ya, and good luck, I hope you kick ass with it.

Unde

posted 31 May 2006 09:19 EDT (US)     4 / 9  
interesting tactic unde

personally in my Greek campaign i always tried to have at least 2 greek cav and 2 militia cav rather than onagers (1 onagers probably sufficient). cav sits on the wings out of harms way at the satart of battles. i let them lose once the archers and hoplites have done the hard work.

in campaign really helps if you have cav units to chase down routing enemies - better to kill them once than to have to keep defeating them.

i agree they're not the best cav around but if you constantly rebuild them after battles they should get good experience points and any other upgrades help too.

posted 31 May 2006 09:52 EDT (US)     5 / 9  
Didn't the Brits use a simmilar tactic in Passiondale, WW1? They fired just infront of their own men, and they only advanced where the artillary had wiped any opposition off the map.

Same standerd, as always, Undefeatable

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 31 May 2006 09:55 EDT (US)     6 / 9  
Rozanov :: I totally agree with you. But if I may add some advice.

Use your General for chasing routing enemy! He will then gather that experience that you would have given to the Greek Cavalry. In this tactic, it would be more sufficient to keep the Onagers! As they will help with lowering the enemy's moral, strength, and formation. Usually, I would put them on flame mode, but I would watch tyhem carefully. In this tactic. just use your General to chase the retreating Enemy Biotches! It will provide you with a much better outcome.

EDIT:

EOJ :: Hmmm, I shall check it out unless you have already. And thanks man. When are you doing another. We need a Roman city defence one I think!

Unde

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 05-31-2006 @ 09:59 AM).]

posted 31 May 2006 13:16 EDT (US)     7 / 9  
posted 31 May 2006 16:10 EDT (US)     8 / 9  

Quote:

EOJ :: Hmmm, I shall check it out unless you have already. And thanks man. When are you doing another. We need a Roman city defence one I think!

I'll do a collection of 'true' early Roman ones, then

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 31 May 2006 16:14 EDT (US)     9 / 9  
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Greek Field Battle Tactic: by Undefeatable (single player)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames