You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Chariots.... useful or just worthlessly fragile?
posted 14 September 2006 16:13 EDT (US)   
well i just completed the games short campaign with gaul (whoot for the three hour campaign win!) and im looking to start my main campaign.... while i was playing as gaul i played against britania and took on limmeted numbers of chariots, the thing was that they seemed somewhat weak and fragile the moment my skirmishers or hunter warbands started to volly missiles into them they just fell apart. after checking in battlemode i then found they have no armour just lots of wounds...

my question is this, do chariots have a worthwhile role on the battle feild (for britania or egypt) or are they just expencive targets for archers to destroy?

Replies:
posted 14 September 2006 17:14 EDT (US)     1 / 28  
They suck. Regular cavalry is better any time of the day.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 14 September 2006 17:29 EDT (US)     2 / 28  
They require a little skill and the ability to micromanage and pick your fights. Chariots will own cavalry but will need support when going up against disiplined infantry. One of teh recommended ways to kill with chariots is to actually tell them to run behind the target unit- then they will keep going and miving. Once a chariot stops, it's dead.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 14 September 2006 17:32 EDT (US)     3 / 28  
In custom battle you can take two units of scythed chariots against six units of eastern infantry. Attack the hindemost enemy unit and half the enemy will fly sky high upon contact. But eastern infantry suck remember.

posted 14 September 2006 17:33 EDT (US)     4 / 28  
chariots can wipe out cav(although not sure about cata's) easily everytime i face them without skimishers i have to mob them with my cav

the key with chariots is that you have to keep them moving they have low defence but the spikes make it really hard for a unit to get close to hit them

"whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa just slow down. huh? WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY BLEW UP THE DEATH STAR!!! #@#$ ah @#$% @#$% @#$%. WHOS THEY? WHAT THE HELL IS A ALUMINUM FALCAN?" -senator Palpatine on the phone with darth vader
posted 14 September 2006 17:41 EDT (US)     5 / 28  
Hi

As Gaul on vh/vh difficulty I took out the Britons chariots easily. Warbands packed into forests and lured the chariots in.

As Egypt on vh/vh difficulty I loved the Chariot generals and chariot archers. Not too many missiles per unit but their mobility allowed you to position yourself for best shoots. Chariot generals best tactic was to run a fraction ahead of persuing cavalry/generals and let the enemy touch those chariots back wheels.

Never stop whilst in mellee...keep clicking to get any chariots that are bogged down to disengage and run through/out of enemy combat. Chariots knock over many enemy. Send in cavalry behind a chariot.

posted 14 September 2006 17:45 EDT (US)     6 / 28  
I have found that Britain's and Egypt's chariots work very well, but Pontus's chariots run amok easy and aren't good at all. Chariots are great at running down non-phalanx units, like they'll tear up some hastati and principies easy. You just have to micromanage and keep them moving. Also, LIGHT cavalry will get pwned if they come anywhere close to the blades on the wheels.

Also, chariots have the advantage of frightening units and disrupting formations, so it is a good idea to charge the "already-chariot-attacked" enemy.

posted 14 September 2006 20:20 EDT (US)     7 / 28  
I love chariots, personally.

If you're using them, you need them in numbers to be truly useful, as opposed the limited use. They're certainly not all-powerful, but can do wonders if used correctly. I myself, preferred missile chariots over any other kind, because they're more nimble and versatile (I see normal scythed chariot-variants as too specialized for my tastes). Against elephants, large numbers of archers and/or slingers, a phalanx circle, or similar formations/compositions, you're doomed.

Chariots can do a number on cavalry, true. But I prefer them for the disrupting capability if using heavy melee variants, and as really steady horse archers if using chariot archer variants

我送你離開 千里之外 你無聲黑白
沈默年代 或許不該 太遙遠的相愛
我送你離開 天涯之外 你是否還在
琴聲何來 生死難猜 用一生 去等待

As Water on Rock
posted 14 September 2006 22:47 EDT (US)     8 / 28  
The funny thing about chariots is that in real life, they were WAY more armored than normal calvary and scythed chariots were created for the sole reason of killing Alexanders Phalanxes. They make chariots in this game completely opposite of real ones. How does a horse have more armor than 2 horses and and huge wooden platform surrounded by walls? 1 def. is F#%^#ing ridiculus!
posted 15 September 2006 00:46 EDT (US)     9 / 28  
Simply put, if chariots were made realistic in a stat-driven world, they would be unstopable. They should have used the limited features to give chariots bonus fighting infantry NOT cavalry, but there really neaded to be a mobile anti-cavalry unit for balance reasons.
Also, as a side note, sythed chariots can be quite effective against phlanax if you run by the side of them and not into the spears, and never, never engage.
posted 15 September 2006 01:17 EDT (US)     10 / 28  
They are magnificent against cavalry (Alpha: Even against catas they do very well).

They scare infantry
They can disrupt formations.

Thatīs why I take 2-4 of them.

posted 15 September 2006 05:10 EDT (US)     11 / 28  
Playing as seleucids

I found that scythed chariots are available very early on, which makes them very useful against light infantry / cavalry.

Later on against heavier forces I have 2 uses for them:

In open combat I run them around the rear of the enemy to engage onagers and other artillery and small generals bodyguards and any other oods and sods behind the main battle line. I usually let tthem get on with it - if they run amok they can do even more damage.

If defending a settlement and I have one of these units I get it out of the settlement immediately. You can have great fun attacking units that are sapping, artillery, archers etc. Just keep well away from heavy infantry unless you're really bored and want to micromanage each encounter. Again if they do run amok, hopefully it won't be among the defending forces but the enemy. (I've has scythed chariots kill several Roman cavalry generals when running amok - for some reason the Roman generals can't leave them be.!)

posted 15 September 2006 08:42 EDT (US)     12 / 28  
Realistically speaking, I can see that a chariot would be brutal to cavalry. The blades would chop the legs right off the horse like a hot knife through butter.

Sometimes chariots have a problem for me, all they do is knock people down...they didn't kill them. That happened a few times in my Egyptian campeign.

One question, in the Egyptian chariot (not chariot archers) there are 3 guys in there. I was wondering why, they'd be useless, right? Maybe they could attack people around them, but that is only if the chariot stopped (try to do it when it's moving would be rather hard). All I notice is one by one they fall off the chariot (I didn't notice until recently that chariots can lose man power, but the actual chariot doesn't get destroyed).

posted 15 September 2006 09:18 EDT (US)     13 / 28  
Jeese my post was deleted...that is absurd I didn't say anything offensive or against the CoC so why did you delete my post GOS?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
posted 15 September 2006 10:37 EDT (US)     14 / 28  
It could be that you didn't actually send it.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 15 September 2006 11:56 EDT (US)     15 / 28  
Another thought re chariots?

Has anyone noticed any great difference in their performance in different terrain?

On a flat solid terrain, chariots should whizz along.

However they should stick in mud and deep sand, and be unusable in rocky terrain.

Also you really wouldn't want to use chariots in hand-to-hand combat at speed. Great for using as a missile platform (at close range) and for scaring the pants off people but whacking people with a sword might be a bit painful if done at speed?

posted 15 September 2006 16:57 EDT (US)     16 / 28  
Chariots are good as hit and run units sometimes. Problem is they're a bit of a rickety affair and can't always get out quick enough to avoid taking substantial damage.

[This message has been edited by lmao (edited 09-15-2006 @ 04:58 PM).]

posted 15 September 2006 18:15 EDT (US)     17 / 28  
Chariot arcs rule they can charge well and shoot at the enemy too Regular chariots are different, I find sythed to be best because they are so spikey and unless they are standing still cant be hurt. They can get bogged down and die fast but if you turn at the LAST moment then you WHOOP their back line. They are prone to go amok though so it all depends on what kind of person you are.

(\__/)GOODBYE STEVE IRWIN RIP
(O.o )
(> < ) No matter who you are, or where you from, or what language you speak, the story of the spartan and the fox is still pretty morbid.
posted 15 September 2006 19:35 EDT (US)     18 / 28  
Will anybody answer my previos question?
posted 15 September 2006 23:11 EDT (US)     19 / 28  
O sorry about that, I have two theories. One, they just attack randomly off the chariot, or, they replace the guy who drives when he dies. The part about attacking is more probable because sometimes they get bogged down and have to fight out. Just wondering, would chariot drivers be likely germaphobes? I mean, they dont touch the ground, they dont touch people, they are seperated from their horses and they will only touch a dead body when their dead. hmmmmmmmmm

(O.o )
(> < ) No matter who you are, or where you from, or what language you speak, the story of the spartan and the fox is still pretty morbid.
posted 15 September 2006 23:48 EDT (US)     20 / 28  
lol
*recoils from offered handshake and gags*

我送你離開 千里之外 你無聲黑白
沈默年代 或許不該 太遙遠的相愛
我送你離開 天涯之外 你是否還在
琴聲何來 生死難猜 用一生 去等待

As Water on Rock
posted 16 September 2006 00:10 EDT (US)     21 / 28  
they can be good for breaking up formations,eg charge in just before infantry make contact and they mess up formations really well...they are also good for running THROUGH the line...so they can get behind really easily, which does give the enemies morale damage, it also allows them to hunt down routers or archers, but even one should be wary of that...think of them as light cavalry mainly...i am not very experianced or good with them...
posted 16 September 2006 11:08 EDT (US)     22 / 28  
I use them alot, I think the only rule with chariots is DON'T ATTACK PHALANX!! It is a deathtrap waiting to happen, and it sickens me when 7-8 chariots just get slaughtered for nothing.

STORY TIME:

My best use of chariots was when I was Egyptian I was sieging a Carthage city (in the middle of Northern Africa). After I busted through the Stone wall and had mopped up the gate defenders and all that, I saw that there were a lot of enemies waiting in the streets to fight me. I gave them one volley from my archers, and then I sent chariot archers and regular chariots down the street. It was death. The chariots ran through the streets and the blades cut down any living thing touched them. Another thing is my chariots fanned out to cover the whole road, so I just had them run the whole distance until I got to the town square. The Carthaginian Iberian infantry and Libyan spearmen were cut down like grass, and I secured the townsquare.

That is why I like chariots.

[This message has been edited by AFF92 (edited 09-16-2006 @ 11:14 AM).]

posted 16 September 2006 12:12 EDT (US)     23 / 28  
Yeah on the whole chariots are good. They're one of those units that are easy to use (for the most part) but hard to master in attack/deployment, but as a Seleucid Strategos i'll stick to my Elephants

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
posted 16 September 2006 15:36 EDT (US)     24 / 28  
Yay story time hehe

just wondering, when I pit sythed vs ele's, the sythed got whooped. Is this a normal thing? Or did my syth just mess up terribly?

(O.o )
posted 16 September 2006 17:14 EDT (US)     25 / 28  
Umm, elephants will massacre chariots, keep chariots away from them.
posted 16 September 2006 18:17 EDT (US)     26 / 28  
Keep chariots AWAY from anything over regular war elephants. Armoured or war elephants will pwn them hardcore, so do not engage them with chariots!

/{[[===============================,
||/
|||
\\|
`\\
Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee...
posted 19 September 2006 12:34 EDT (US)     27 / 28  
Reaper_93 is right. Chariots are terrible against the elephants. Also, against most everything else, besides missile troops, they are worthless. The only way to get around this problem is to, literally, go around. Use the chariots like you do cav. As a flanking force. The pikes (if you're up against them) can't get you if they're facing the other way.
posted 21 September 2006 08:43 EDT (US)     28 / 28  
Three Egyptian chariot types in action against a bigger Roman force.

Chariot General is firing at will, as well as melee against Brutii cavalry. The order will be to run away from the cavalry. As they turn the wheels will kill cavalry. As the Brutii cavalry persue they will be killed both arrows and touch the chariots wheels.

Chariot archers. Their mobility has allowed them to take the high ground. They fire down on promising targets. They can run away from any threats.

Combat Chariots. Attacking another Brutii cavalry unit. Like their general they will turn away from sustained combat.

Avoid prolonged hand to hand combat with chariots. Repeat clicks to get the chariots to move. When moving avoid sharp turns otherwise chariots can get tangled up with each other.

Egyptian cavalry and infantry were relegated to waiting in the corner of the battlefield. Only when the action got a bit hot did the chariots lead their persuers to the waiting fresh cavalry and infantry.

Chariots...definately worth it...against the AI anyhow.

[This message has been edited by Severous (edited 09-21-2006 @ 08:56 AM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Chariots.... useful or just worthlessly fragile?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames