Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The wooden walled assault
posted 09 July 2011 12:57 EDT (US)   
After realizing I was no good at assaulting settlements, and preferred to let the computer do it for me, I decided not to take the easy way out anymore and work on my own strategy. My problem was obvious enough to me, I had gotten used to fighting on the field and the tight, cramped confines of the city assault led to an inability to flank (properly) and too many infantry casualities (many of which were from friendly fire). So I tried this out and it works well. This may not be the best way, and for all I know it may be nothing that nobody already knows. But I'll explain the method I took and if anyone has any insight to offer they would be most welcome.

You need 2 battering rams. Set them up ready to march on either side of their main gate. Set your infantry into a column formation (I find it quicker and neater to march through this way), adjust these accordingly if there are too many troops. Likewise put your cavalry into a column formation and I personally like to set them into wedge, not directly behind each other but to the sides so you have one big triangle spear point of cavalry. Use skirmishers to man the rams (in the field I prefer archers but for this I like using javelineers better, although it might be a good idea to use fire arrows to demoralize their soldiers before the real fun starts). Have your infantry behind one of the rams and your cavalry behind the other. If you have any more missle units put them directly behind the rams, in front of the infantry/cavalry. You're ready to deploy now. Get your rams moving to the walls and have the troops follow behind. Get them all moving together, you want to be quick because they could be shooting missles at you over the walls, and there's really nothing you can do about that but to be fast. And of course if you have units that can use testudo then it's a good idea. Try to time it out just right so that both walls come crashing down together (press pause before giving them the order). More often than not the enemy will be waiting for you at both locations. This is where your skirmishers after dropping the siege equipment immediately start firing away through the broken wall. It won't take long for these units to rout or die. I find it's best to have your skirmishers in guard mode when they start attacking so that they don't rush into the city and get overwhelmed. Let the enemy run around a bit before they decide to stick with a position, and from here you can analyze best what to do. Send in your infantry which will hopefully attract the largest portion of their forces. On the other side you might want to send your skirmishers in to distract whatever is over there, and now comes the spear through the heart. Rush your cavalry in and you should have a nice big exposed flank for them to charge. Now that you've dominated the initial battle, you're basically going to repeat the process several times. Send your large infantry unit (you don't need missiles anymore, I find them to be very unreliable in the fight at the square) to march up the main street toward their town square. Send your cavalry down whatever side road you must take to reach the other side of the town square. There are usually several roads throughout you can send your cavalry through to flank while your infantry engage in their mini battles on the road. Make sure you always initiate the attack with your infantry and send the cavalry crushing in from behind. You'll probably have to improvise when called for but that's for any battle.

That's pretty much it. Maybe it's nothing short of obvious to many of you, but hopefully someone will benefit or have more to add. I probably lose half of what I used to when taking this approach.

Just tested this again. Me as house of julii against house of scipii. Equal units of 4 hastati, 3 equites and 2 velites on hard difficulty. 322 units deployed, 101 remaining. I messed up one of the flanks and my cavalry turned around and went the wrong direction, I didn't catch it in time and just let it happen, that made a big difference and I had some unit routs at the center battle. But it still worked.

A few side notes:
Don't let your units chase their runners, lead the attack at your own pace.
This works even better for the initial clash if you can draw them outside of their walls, I did this with my velites after they ran out of ammo.
Keep a close eye on those damn cavalry when your maneuvering them through the city, sometimes they have to have their hands held the whole way.

Now to work on a strategy for stone walls!

[This message has been edited by Hologen (edited 07-09-2011 @ 01:25 PM).]

Replies:
posted 15 July 2011 06:43 EDT (US)     1 / 10  
I'm not a great fan of sieges myself so my tactics are pretty basic, but I actually prefer assaulting stone walls to wooden walls. My tactic for wooden walls is either me waiting for them to sally, or if it looks like they are sending reinforcements or I want to take the settlement quickly, I generally just rush all my troops into the settlement with no concern for losses.

For stone walls it largely depends on what faction you're playing as. If it's a faction with powerful infantry then this tactic work a treat. I know it's still a relativly simple tactic but I never claimed to be a master RTW tactician.

The idea is to basically get control of the gatehouse, which gives your men control of the gate and means that your men can get into the city without having boiling oil poured over them. Now what I used to do was to just rush the walls with troops, but it's actually manageable with only two decent infantry units, but they have to be good ones.

Firtsly, divide your infantry into two groups, one for each side of the gate. Send siege towers on both sides to the furthest point on the walls from where the enemy are deployed. This prevents your units from becoming surrounded. Then have them fight their way towards the gatehouse. If everything goes to plan they will both eventually meet up at the gatehouse. If one finishes before the other they can attack the enemy in his rear. If one unit gets wiped out, send another, but so long as you are using an elite unit this shouldn't happen. The point in only using one unit at a time is that, if you cram all your men onto the walls, it is likely you will lose a fair amount just from falling. Also, so long as you position your towers far enough along, your single unit won't get surrounded like in a field battle and thanks to the narrowness of the walls will only have to fight one unit at a time, even if they are loads of units queueing up to fight it. Fatigue will still be a problem, but even a fatigued unit of Spartans or Praetorians can easily handle several units of regular troops and archers 1 on 1, which is how they will be fighting on the walls.

Secondly, once the walls and gatehouse are taken, the nearby towers will be under your control and any enemy units on the streets below will gradually have their numbers thinned, forcing them to pull back. If you have any archers you should place them on the walls now. Not only will they augmnet the firepower of the towers, when you send your melee infantry off the walls, if you don't have any units occupying them the towers will revert back to the enemy, meaning that as you approach the city centre you'll have to contned with arrows being fired at your flanks.

Finally, assault the city centre. With control of the gates your cavalry can enter. I usually send them on a detour round the city so that they can attack the enemy in the city centre from behind.

That's my tactic. Pretty simple but I hope it gives you some ideas.

Also, does anyone ever notice their units randomly zigzagging in town and city centres? It happens more in towns whose central plazas are smaller, but basically I'll line up a cavalry unit so that they are facing a unit's rear, only to have them randomly criss cross instead of charging in a straight line. I've lost many generals this way when they've gone from charging into the back of a phalanx to charging into the front of a phalanx.
posted 15 July 2011 11:42 EDT (US)     2 / 10  
I find assaulting wooden walls are quite easy. Normally it is against barbarians if they have wooden walls. You can beat some holes in the walls, then place any missile units in front of the holes if you have any. Slingers shoot at them, they run away and come back 20 seconds later only to be hit by another volley, then when ammo runs out use javelins/pila in the holes. Doing this usually kills many. Then rush your men in at all the holes and destroy what is left.

The AI never runs out to attack the weaker melee combatants, so they just die under archer fire. Sometimes they will run out of the gate a bit once it is broken, but that doesn't really matter.
posted 15 July 2011 16:43 EDT (US)     3 / 10  
Funny, I thought I had posted here....

Since I lack the necessary patience to wait for EVERY missile trooper to lose all their missiles, and since most factions I play don't have good missiles/any archers, I simply have what missile troops I do have fire upon the enemy, have the wall knocked down before I do this, and then I have my heavy infantry rush the holes to secure my bridgehead in the settlement. This is crucial in any siege, because without it you could have Urbans facing Warbands, and with no secure bridgehead, you can/will lose. I then proceed to have my weakened (casualty wise) troops go about and slaughter all resistance in the settlement. I love even numbers, and would much rather risk a slightly depleted in battle than a fully stocked unit.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
posted 15 July 2011 19:19 EDT (US)     4 / 10  
I find assaulting towns with wooden walls is substantially easier than stone walls, as you can just stick a spy or three inside and get the gates open, allowing you to be able to attack without having to build siege engines. Basically, I send a few of my best infantry units through the gate (or if I wait and build siege engines) the gate and holes in the wall, preferably pikes or Roman heavy infantry. They can usually push through any troops in front of the breaches. Then you can just advance up the streets to the town square, stabbing anything in your way.
For stone walls, Romans are the best, as they have the best infantry. I usually build four siege towers and simply use weight of numbers and quality of troops to take the walls. Then it's up the main street to the town square, killing anybody in the way.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 21 July 2011 05:11 EDT (US)     5 / 10  
For wooden walls it depends on the point in the game. During the later game I have onagers so I try to keep at least one in each army.

Step 1. I select an entry point and destroy it.

Step 2. I then destroy the towers beside that point.

Step 3. If they have hoplites at the breach, I normally attempt to blow them apart with my onagers and missiles. If heavy inantry a cavalry charge is normally suffiicient. (with the infantry close behind.)

Step 4. Slaughter everyone inside.

Step 5. Gloat to taste.

In the earlier game however, I have to make do with rams. I normally use my heaviest infantry so they can rush to fill the breach but with phalangites on the other side that is unadviseable. In case of phalangites\hoplites, use missiles. When you move to engage after using missiles remember to turn Fire At Will off.
posted 21 July 2011 06:21 EDT (US)     6 / 10  
I do as Mors, but open multiple breaches.

The extra breaches cause the defender to spread his forces. Then I select the weakest, pound it with arrows and burst in to catch the other forces before they get to the central square.

I notice the AI defender will set forces opposite my rams- so I always build many. Then one or two of them would open more breaches. These become cavalry avenues later, once the defenders that rushed there are drawn to battle elsewhere by my assaulting infantry.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 21 July 2011 19:55 EDT (US)     7 / 10  
Make multiple entry points and destroy any towers near them with onagers.
If my troops are not making sufficient headway from assaulting through one breach, another group comes through another breach to sandwhich the enemy.

Once inside the city and the enemy is more or less contained, I form my troops up in the street. Heavy infantry go first (naturally) and are spread to fill the road one curb to the other. Another unit of HI behind them and behind that unit of infantry are some archers.

More infantry behind them to block side roads, reinforce and to take advantage of other places to attack from.

Somewhere in the middle is my general.

Anyway, the whole force leapfrogs up the street towards the city center thrashing any counterattack to bits. Halt at a convenient spot right outside of it, and let fly with whatever your archers have left to goad them into attacking you a final time.

Boom, battle won.

If I'm forced to attack epic stone walls, I don't toy around with making multiple breaches: One is sufficient provided I kill the towers near it. But I do build plenty of siege towers and, after destroying enemy towers, roll them right up to the enemy walls atop which they have the most troops. It's important to not have fire at will on since siege towers have very limited ammo.
Several siege towers roll up pretty damn close to the wall and then let loose with an incredible barrage of ballistas tearing any enemies up top to shreds.

Also, it should be noted, that ballista armed siege towers only appear when you are assaulting a city with epic stone walls. Possibly with large walls, but I can't recall.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
posted 22 July 2011 07:30 EDT (US)     8 / 10  
I find if you suto-resolve, epic walls do nothing. Just trying to get into the city I lost about 150-200 men, so I reloaded and auto-resolved an lost around 20 men (Vs 50 defenders)
posted 10 August 2011 21:58 EDT (US)     9 / 10  
for stone walls i put up ladders and control gate with archers then use ram and let in 4 wardogs and 4 light cav.works like a charm

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.-Bill Cosby
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein
Crowded elevators smell different to midgets
posted 11 August 2011 06:31 EDT (US)     10 / 10  
I must say that I hardly use any artillery for the slowness on the campaign map.
Wooden walls are easily taken down by a couple rams. Soften them up first with archer fire and then enter with troops most suited to deal with the defenders left after the missile massacre.

Stone walls are easy due to AI stupidity. Deploy your main body of troops close together and 1 or 2 siege towers near a section of wall further away. They hardly ever deploy even a single unit opposite these lone towers. There's a few wall sections without tower coverage so 0 casualties is most of the times easily archieved

Scale the walls with the lone units and run around to take over towers and gatehouses.
Then you can decide how to best deal with the remaining enemies. Quickly run cav around and conquer the square. If the lone units were phalanx units it's fun to run to the square and block the troops coming from the walls. With heavy infantry you might want to attack the defenders on the walls close to your main force.

I like sieges and trying to minimize losses vs AI. Never really failed me actually.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » The wooden walled assault
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames