Please login or register

Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Kingdoms: Teutonic hotseat campaign - By EoJ and Gaius
posted 04 September 2007 17:16 EDT (US)   
We all know that Kingdoms has a hotseat mode, but as far as I can tell only a small amount of gamers have tried it so far. Gaius, my fellow staffie, dropped me a line and wondered if it was possible to conduct a campaign using hotseat mode over the wonderful internet, and after a trail turn we got down to the real deal. For narrative purposes, we chose to play as Teutons and Lithuania, the two 'main' factions of the Teutonic campaign of Kingdoms. Having never played this campaign before, I'm slightly wary of Gaius, who I think is part way through one allready. Still, to business.

To play Hotseat with someone using the internet, simply find your M2TW folder in your computer, then click the folder 'Mods'. Access the Teutonic folder, and you have the tools you need. After taking a turn, you'll find the save in the 'save' folder. Attach it to an e-mail, and your buddy can simply drag it to the correct file. Simple! And you don't even have to run the unpacke!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 09-04-2007 @ 05:16 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04 September 2007 17:36 EDT (US)     1 / 27  
Turn 1- Teutons
I'm making two assumptions on hotseat mode.
1) Since I've checked the 'auto-resolve' button, it's good to have as many men as you can.
2) Gaius won't be able to access my password-protected turns (Which he wouldn't anyway )

The mighty Teutons start with a selection of captured towns and their infamous brick castles, three priestly agents (Of which 2 are bishops) and a large amount of millitary, alibet few of the heavy cavalry the pagan scum fear. The ability to make a profit on this first turn, however, is very tight, so I'm going to have to wade into an economist's nightmare and spend without a secure back-up plan. Settlements recieve townhalls, farming upgrades and extra garrisons on the frontier, while the garrisoned troops (mostly) march to war.

My plan is to hit Gaius hard, and first. Using my 1st assumption in the OP, I'm going straight in from Mattenburg to the heathen heartlands (Try saying that with your mouthfull!). No time for rebels when God's work is to be done!

[JPEG, (446.77 KB)]
(I have never gotten the fancy thumbnail pic to work, despite studying the code of posts that have them in. If anyone can explain how to put them in, I will love you)

Brother Dietrich leads the largest army on the slow march to Hrodna, a vile town to match it's vile name. Once the mighty Teutons purge it, I shall have to rename it*. Still, it is a few turns away, slowed down by the catapults. I can wait until then.

As you can see from the minimap, the inferior Polish are bordering us. However, I am counting on our parent nation, the Holy Roman Empire, and the Danes to keep them buisy, as well as the lure of lightly defended rebel settlements. I have enough time to replenish the eastern front's garrisons.

[JPEG, (428.49 KB)]
In the North, however, things are progressing far swifter. I direct my brothers in the north to surround the pagan settlements on the baltic coast. They shall hopfully fall to righteous steel next turn.

Despite a general disbanding of naval and surples troops, I still record a large loss. Sadly, I forget just how much, as I didn't get the financial screen before I hit end turn, but next turn I will catch a snap.

*To rename settlements, open the scroll for it and click on the name at the top. When you see the friendly 'line', that means you can delete, rename and add to the names of settlements. Adds a bit more flavour.

posted 04 September 2007 18:44 EDT (US)     2 / 27  
One sally later and Siauliai is free of Teutonic infestation. I even released the prisoners from the battle to give my general good stats. Palanga is still under siege so I'll have to do something about that. There's a rather large army making its way east from Marienburg. I think I'll put on the kettle for them. They are sure to be thirsty when they arrive.

Lithuania is surrounded on both sides by the Teutons so it means that initially I only have to fight them. Now if Novgorod decide to fight him in the north or the Poles attack to the west, EoJ could be in quite a spot of bother.

What's interesting about the Teutons is that they can only build their best units if their regions are at least 70% catholic. They need to be 80% for the Ritterbruder units. Still, EoJ isn't going to be able to afford to build the higher barracks for some time, let alone recruit the units.

Fraps doesn't seem to be working so you'll have to picture the nailbiting strategy through my flowery prose.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 04 September 2007 19:12 EDT (US)     3 / 27  
(I have never gotten the fancy thumbnail pic to work, despite studying the code of posts that have them in. If anyone can explain how to put them in, I will love you)
Go into photobucket, check the boxes next to the pictures you want thumbnails of, go to the bottom of the page and click the 'Generate html and img code' button, then you will see a list of code entitled clickable thumbnails for message boards (recommended) or something like that. Copy the code from that box and paste it here. Hey Presto! You now have thumbnails!

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
posted 04 September 2007 20:02 EDT (US)     4 / 27  
Be wary of light garrisons on novgrood borders EoJ because they eventually attack.

Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
All generalizations are false, including this one.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
posted 04 September 2007 22:04 EDT (US)     5 / 27  
All I can say is, good luck Gaius. Lithuania is definitely at a disadvantage I've found.

lol im jumby
posted 05 September 2007 06:08 EDT (US)     6 / 27  
True but I have a plan.

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

posted 05 September 2007 10:27 EDT (US)     7 / 27  
Be wary of light garrisons on novgrood borders EoJ because they eventually attack.
I'm keeping a large amount of troops up there, hence why I have smaller armies attacking from the north.

Turn 2 to follow shortly.

posted 05 September 2007 15:56 EDT (US)     8 / 27  
Finally got my images to work.

Turn 2-

[JPEG, (428.01 KB)]
Remember what I said about money? Yeah, it's tight. Gaius sent me an e-mail saying that I won't be able to get the best troops because he's put a priest in one of my reigons. With this ecomany, I couldn't care.

[JPEG, (410.03 KB)]
A new Brother. He's off somewhere to the north to take over this new settlement...

[JPEG, (381.79 KB)]
[JPEG, (413.57 KB)]
A small amount of cash, but the Order need every florin. Where are those crusading nobles when you need them? Still, one settlement down.

[JPEG, (443.08 KB)]
I abandon my siege engines and march on the capital. I need the money, and so I'm going for juicy settlements. A large garrison, though, but God will guide our swords.

[JPEG, (408.88 KB)]
Market warfare. Coming off the tar, I rob the Lithuanian merchant.

[JPEG, (439.37 KB)]
I gather my forces and march again to the town the pagan scum relieved last turn. Out of movement points, my brother Teutonics spot a large scummic army. Oh, dear.

Poland near Thorn have a half stack army and a diplomat looking to head for the castle. They won't turn on christian soldiers, will they?

[JPEG, (428.01 KB)]
End of turn report. I'll have 4,500 to kick around next turn. Deary me.

posted 05 September 2007 17:00 EDT (US)     9 / 27  
Well I guess not a great deal has happened but this is looking good, gentlemen.

Oh and Jupitor by the way I'm sorry if I was mean to ham... I guess I've gotten so many snotty "use the search function" messages that I forgot myself.

C13H18O2 <-- IBUPROFEN - ruining your life since 1969!

Hey, check out my AAR here!
posted 05 September 2007 17:22 EDT (US)     10 / 27  
I'm þorovghly enjoying þis blow-by-blow deskription of yovr kampaign. Please kontinve.

Also, kovld yov post a skreenshot of Gaivs' priest vnit? Does it even look any different þan yovr normal priest?

Just as some bodies, from the moment of birth, are endowed with beauty, while on others nature from their very beginning bestows blemishes and wrinkles, so with souls too, some are distinguished at once with extreme grace and attractiveness, while others leave a trail of sombre and deep gloom. ~Michael Psellus, Chronographia
posted 05 September 2007 19:20 EDT (US)     11 / 27  
It actually looks a little like a heretic.

Oddly I can't get my fraps to work but my pagan kingdom has seen off another threat and I have a longer term plan that EoJ will not be expecting. It wouldn't remotely work against the AI but EoJ's forces are stretched.

-Love Gaius

posted 06 September 2007 10:37 EDT (US)     12 / 27  
Oh and Jupitor by the way I'm sorry if I was mean to ham... I guess I've gotten so many snotty "use the search function" messages that I forgot myself.
N/p. We've all done it
Oddly I can't get my fraps to work
No photoshop? If you do, press printscreen. Then to the tgas file on the main M2TW folder, then save the screenies as JPEGs or BMP or something.

I'm realising Gaius is gaining a sneaky advantage over me- not describing fully his turns

posted 06 September 2007 10:47 EDT (US)     13 / 27  
Woah, Gaius's full stack army looks like causing havoc in the region.

He's going to steamroll you if you don't watch out EoJ.

I propose a diplomatic meeting between me and you on MSN.
posted 07 September 2007 13:35 EDT (US)     14 / 27  
Sorry for the delay, guys- I had a last-few-days coursework crash. I'm sure you all understand
Turn 3 to be up soon.

posted 07 September 2007 13:50 EDT (US)     15 / 27  
A Cherub doing homework.

That's not a good sign and you aren't upholding traditon.
posted 09 September 2007 03:39 EDT (US)     16 / 27  
Shh
Well, finished it, and played it. Sorry for the delay, folks. Won't happen again.

Not much I could do this turn (Or, much that I can show you), so I'll focus on the northern stacks the pagans are sending. God help us all.

[JPEG, (189.39 KB)]
Our holy treasury. We are nearly out of money!

[JPEG, (190.14 KB)]
In the north our bretheren come from the danish front to help relieve the garrison- or to inflict some casulties.

[JPEG, (179.29 KB)]
A draw. But the odds have considerably shortened. We are heartened by this.

[JPEG, (175.58 KB)]
Even better! Against the pagan King's orders, the enemy general has ransomed them! This man may make a good Christian yet!

[JPEG, (180.77 KB)]
My smallest loss yet- things seem to be turning around.

However, I've given the pagan commander a choice- take my settlement and risk loosing his other. Which one shall he go for?

posted 09 September 2007 11:54 EDT (US)     17 / 27  
your settlement is better to take =\

lol im jumby
posted 10 September 2007 11:01 EDT (US)     18 / 27  
Shh

posted 16 September 2007 10:54 EDT (US)     19 / 27  
So, what's happening with this? Has it been discontinued?

lol im jumby
posted 16 September 2007 12:37 EDT (US)     20 / 27  
I've been in Berlin for the last few days but I'll be doing the next turn after the upcoming forum party

-Love Gaius

posted 16 September 2007 13:07 EDT (US)     21 / 27  
in kingdoms, is it still possible to play grand campian with all the factions like in vanilla?

quote from medival 2 total war: we english are superior to these cross-eyed french farts!!

boy:I want a cheeseburger
father:you'll get nothing and like it!!!! lol (laughing at neglect is ok as long as its in a movie)
posted 16 September 2007 17:27 EDT (US)     22 / 27  
EoJ has recovered quite well since I last played this game.

In the last turn, I decided to send a priest into Marienburg to see what kind of forces he has there. I notice that the sly old dog has signed an alliance with the Poles. I wonder how much it would cost to make them break it....

Riga is a fine prize so I took that. Sadly I had to exterminate the population. I sometimes have trouble sleeping at night you know.

I had enough movement left to move towards Windau.

Back to the current turn. EoJ isn't taking that lying down and has sieged both my capital Vilnius and Siauliai. Has he fallen into a trap I wonder. My full stack is torn. What can those generals do? Shall I move east to defend my towns or move north and take Palanga which is a nice castle.

-Love Gaius

posted 17 September 2007 08:56 EDT (US)     23 / 27  
Thats so damn cool I reckon... can't wait for the day when total war can introduce the Multiplayer Online Hotseat mode. Which hopefully will happen sometime in the future since there is just so much demand for it for one.

Regards,
SCipii
posted 17 September 2007 15:46 EDT (US)     24 / 27  
I've just got the turn e-mail, so I'll be trying to stage a comeback soon

posted 23 September 2007 06:54 EDT (US)     25 / 27  
Hint: Use order spearmen. They are decent in standard battle and god-like in auto resolve. 4 of them can defeat a full stack of various pagan units on auto resolve.
posted 01 October 2007 21:02 EDT (US)     26 / 27  
How is this going for everyone?
posted 06 October 2007 15:11 EDT (US)     27 / 27  
We apologise for the (large) break, but first I got a corrupted save and Gaius buggered off to France We'll be getting it rolling soon.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » Kingdoms: Teutonic hotseat campaign - By EoJ and Gaius
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames