Please login or register

Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Important- Proposed changes to the Ladder
posted 12 October 2008 11:32 EDT (US)   
I haven't run this past anyone except Swamprat (yes, not even the mods!), so bear with me.

It is pretty plain that the ladder goes through a period of stagmentation, such as the one we're in right now. Therefore, to keep the action happening, and the ladder to be a fresh and new experience each time, especially to new people, I am intending to move the ladder from a continuing league to a system of 'seasons'.

• There will be 3 seasons- the 'Summer' season lasting from June to September, the 'Autumn and Christmas' season from October to January, and the 'Spring and Easter' season, from February to May.
  • The winner of each season will be announced after it has finished. The scores will then be wiped, and we all start from 0 again.
  • This will, however, involve the zeroing of all present scores- and this is why I haven't gone full speed ahead!

I would also like your thoughts on it if you have any. I'm gone week starting Monday 13th of October to the Friday, and I'll catch up with you guys then.

In the mean time, have fun

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Replies:
posted 12 October 2008 13:08 EDT (US)     1 / 12  
Sounds quite a sensible idea to me - 4 month seasons gives people a decent length of time to get games in without being stupidly long (I think).

If this is implemented then every game I host during the winter season will have snow as the weather.

You could separately record results in a big table so that people can still see their overall ladder record, but just start counting for the ladder proper from scratch. not sure how much extra effort/room that would take. Maybe even just keep enough data for a overall wins/losses score for each player as well as a proper history like you have now for the current season.
posted 12 October 2008 14:33 EDT (US)     2 / 12  
That could be a good idea. However, I think I'd probably keep an archive of the table at the end of each season, then post the 'full' table in January or at the end of the Winter season or something.

posted 12 October 2008 14:56 EDT (US)     3 / 12  

Seasons for the ladder? Meh. What happened to the good old days where you meet someone online and get your arse creamed? Okay, poor taste there...

I'm actually all for the plans, because I haven't had time to accumulate a massive score, yet. Or sign up, for that matter

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
posted 12 October 2008 15:37 EDT (US)     4 / 12  
EoJ, that sounds like a really good idea.
But, I think two major reasons why the ladder goes through periods of stagnation are general inactivity of the members (I haven't offered a whole lot of ladder games, but, from counting the games on the results table, only 29 games have been played in total - not a whole lot, by any measure), which is gonna be really hard to fix, however, the seasonal ladders probably will encourage more activity. The second reason is Gamespy's sucky connection settings. I've pretty much given up trying to do online games with my friends, we mostly use hamachi, which, I think could be an excellent solution to the Gamespy problem, especially when combined with the XFIRE TWH clan.

---M2TWH Inaugural Tournament Champion---
posted 13 October 2008 06:58 EDT (US)     5 / 12  
Good idea EoJ. I'm all for it.

Nice to hear you'll be doing the same for Empire too, so I can give seasonly gunpowder spankings!

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 13 October 2008 18:53 EDT (US)     6 / 12  
Getting a bit ahead of yourself there aren't you?

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 15 October 2008 14:31 EDT (US)     7 / 12  
First of all thanks guys for making me feel welcome, and especially to Swamprat for teaching me a lesson at the weekend :-)

On the subject. Great idea.

Just a teensie weensie problem. A new release that happens on my birthday, in February. It may just divert peoples' attention away from MTW2 for a while. So Feb until May, may be a washout.

Any thoughts?

Fight to the death!!! Take as many of the enemy with you that you can!!!

Hell no it's just a game...... Right?
posted 17 October 2008 18:15 EDT (US)     8 / 12  
The RTW lot have suggested xfire, which I think is an excellent idea. Your thoughts?

posted 18 October 2008 03:30 EDT (US)     9 / 12  
Could you flesh out "suggested xfire" a little please?

Gaius has set up an xfire group thing, is the suggestion that we use it more or try or something more elaborate?
posted 18 October 2008 05:15 EDT (US)     10 / 12  
Yeah- we'd use the 'Total War Heaven Community' (and/or the 'HeavenGames' one) to play as a group. There are a fair few allready on- if everyone on the ladder used it all we have to do is remember the command for chatting.

posted 22 October 2008 11:08 EDT (US)     11 / 12  
Rght, I shall draw up a date for switchover within a few days- but rest assured you've got a couple of weeks yet, so keep playing

posted 23 October 2008 14:25 EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Yeah guys. Every point you pick up now will stand to you when the ladder is closed!

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » Important- Proposed changes to the Ladder
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames