Please login or register

Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: [Hotseat A] England hotseat campaign
posted 18 January 2009 11:57 EDT (US)   
It has begun! The MTW2 hotseat has officially started. And England will be played as yours truly as a sub for Ra due to his absence. This is my first time documenting a campaign and doing a long campaign, so bear with me here.

My Starting Position as the English.

I start by infiltrating York

I follow up by besieging it and shifting reinforcements up.

Unloading my Princess and Cardinal onto mainland Europe.

William the Conquerer heads to quell the Welsh rebels.

My diplomat heads toward Italy while my merchant heads for the delectable French wine.

I leave 1 peasant in Caen to prevent a sneak attack by the frogs.

While massing my troops for an attack on Renees.

I send a fleet to go around the French peinsula.

I train troops and begin constructing roads in Nottingham and Caen.

Train militias and build a port in London.

Rufus hires some Welsh mercs and crossbowmen in preparation for the assult

I assult York

Victory is mine!

I occupy.

Raising Rufus's chivalry by 1 level.

Then I move up my spy toward the Scottish border and end my turn.

[This message has been edited by Hoppylyte (edited 01-18-2009 @ 12:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 18 January 2009 12:14 EDT (US)     1 / 19  
Filenames are too long, but please exterminate Edinburgh and Inverness because in my current campaign they keep rebelling and I have to get the Irish in.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
posted 18 January 2009 15:27 EDT (US)     2 / 19  
May I ask how to shorten the filenames? Also, Son_of_Ra will be taking over this english campaign so he'll be making the updates now.
posted 18 January 2009 18:23 EDT (US)     3 / 19  
Just rename them to something like Hotseat1, Hotseat2, etc. You may have to re-upload them.

I'm rooting for England here, of course. I agree with Gallow, Edinburgh and Inverness should certainly be exterminated. Edinburgh is always a nuisance.
posted 18 January 2009 19:27 EDT (US)     4 / 19  
Won't the extermination of Edinburgh cost me with the Pope? Normally, with the AI I wouldn't have a problem with that, but with 3 human controlled Catholic factions... Mass crusade on the English? :P
posted 19 January 2009 01:05 EDT (US)     5 / 19  
You won't lose any points with the Pope when you exterminate.(your reputation will suffer a bit though but no worries there yet) You will lose point only if you destroy any churches which I don't think you will do.

Remember, you are the starting faction, that means you get the first dibs on crusade. Perhaps my Gentleman's Guide on England in M2:TW discussions can help you with good diplomacy.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 01-19-2009 @ 01:06 AM).]

posted 12 March 2009 16:32 EDT (US)     6 / 19  
Hey all. Now that the campaign is going (somewhat) smoothly I figured I'd begin to update this. At the present time England controls all of Britain and Scotland with Dublin under Rebel rule. I have entered into an agreement with Eoj, king of Spain. It states that I will recieve the channel territories and possibly Paris while he will control Toulousse and Marsailles. In exchange we will become allies and I will support him against Hopplyte and Swampy. Please post any ideas you may have for me. And to the other players: no peeking, here there be treason.

Vini, Vidi, Vici-Julias Caesar

Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace
Ignorance is Strength
Quantity and Quality are the same.
posted 04 April 2009 04:08 EDT (US)     7 / 19  
Well, I've taken over Son of Ra's place in the first hotseat. What hit me from the start was the overload of mailed knights. I think that SoR had perhaps 7 units of knights. He didn't have enough towns, the economy was dead.

So first thing I did was disband a good amount of units, send all the cavalry to besiege Brugges, convert a couple of castles to towns, begin construction of markets and garrisons. I'll be disbanding a lot of mercenaries next turn.

Here are some screens:

- Diplomatic messages.

Financial report. England can be far better than this.

North-France.

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Chauvinism is not a particularly nice trait at the best of times but can be suicidal when the person your talking too can have you executed on a whim.

Facebook, anyone?
posted 27 April 2009 01:52 EDT (US)     8 / 19  

Comments on what is what will follow.

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Chauvinism is not a particularly nice trait at the best of times but can be suicidal when the person your talking too can have you executed on a whim.

Facebook, anyone?
posted 29 April 2009 14:42 EDT (US)     9 / 19  
the economy was fine in my opinion. Mineis usually run on conquest.

Vini, Vidi, Vici-Julias Caesar

Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace
Ignorance is Strength
Quantity and Quality are the same.
posted 02 May 2009 06:22 EDT (US)     10 / 19  
I thought the money level was a bit too low. Besides, the expenses went mostly to mercs and mailed cav. The mercs are caught up in a siege for one half, and the other half was dead or died in the sally by the ai. Which also killed 3/4 of the mailed knights.

This is not to say that you went wrong, with the army you had, I'd have taken Antwerp without problems. But they suck in autoresolve against the pikemen and spearmen.
That's why I'm cutting away in the costs and building up roads, markets etc.

Anyway, turn 13!

Facebook, anyone?
posted 19 July 2009 13:29 EDT (US)     11 / 19  
Unarchived on request.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 19 July 2009 15:05 EDT (US)     12 / 19  
Return of the Thread! Or something. I'm skipping turn 14 to 22, since that's too much work for lazy little me. I think the screenshots are enough to know what's going on, further questions will of course be answered if more info is needed.

Roll the tape for turn 23!

Message time. Sicily reacted to my messages that I might need to invade the HRE, since I can't really go anywhere else with Denmark being my ally.

With 14k in the pocked, I'm looking good.

Securing the little rebel cities before others can.

Pacified without problems.

And a nice little reward!

And the time has come to take Angers! I disliked the odds for a long time so I kept sending reinforcements until now.

Even with these numbers I still lost a lot of men.

More cash, which always comes in handy.

Message back to Sicily.

Message back to Spain.

I broke my alliance with Poland, since I made a new plan. Go on the crusade, take the target, then travel to Poland and take over their territories. Send in reinforcements from France and be swift. After that, dissolve the alliance with Denmark and take them over.

Facebook, anyone?
posted 20 July 2009 06:35 EDT (US)     13 / 19  
Where is the target of the crusade?

Also thnks for re-opening the thread.

I will fight for Total War Heaven.

Will You?
posted 20 July 2009 11:39 EDT (US)     14 / 19  
Turn 24.

A new general knocking on the door is immediately welcomed. I especially like the Siege Expert trait, since sieges are a big part of M2:TW.

Well, I'm certainly not planning on kicking Spain in the crotch, so far EoJ has been nothing but a good ally. And my reputation is already down the drain after ending the alliance with Poland, damaged as it was by the attack on France, so I'll play nicely for now.

Not!

I suppose that this means that elBandito is planning on sticking green banners on European cities. Not if I can do anything about it...

Finances are good, I've a big amount of money revolving but a healthy profit due to the early reforms I implemented. With a couple of field armies, one full stack and two half-stacks, I can strike where I want to without running in debt.

Flowery language with not-so-subtle hints.

Metz under siege, though I have got both quantity and quality at my side I'm still going to wait for reinforcements, which include my new shiny catapults!

The army that came from Angers, it has a lot of cavalry which is good but expensive so I hope I can ditch some of them quickly in battles. They'll travel east to Denmark, either bypassing or attacking it.

The still-to-join-the Crusade army. This is my full-stack (not, but it's as close as I can get right now) that will ravage the east and win glory and lands for England!

I sent a spy to check on the Germans. Seems like they have several armies near our border (due to my bad reputation perhaps?) but lack garrisons. Still, I'm not going to attack them because Sicily would whine and stuff.

I'll show a screenshot of the Crusade target with the next turn batch.

Facebook, anyone?
posted 27 July 2009 02:53 EDT (US)     15 / 19  
Turn 25. In which we see a rival steal the prize, a kingdom united, and a future shine brightly.

A proposal for a general is always welcome, especially since both my faction leader and heir are both married already and generals can not marry princesses. If it were a proposal for my leader or heir I would have held off, but that is not necessary here.

Great! Except that as stated above, they're already married. Ah well, a polite no-thanks should suffice to clear the air. If there's one thing I don't want it's war with the Sicilians at this point. I'm fearful of what will happen if the Venetians totally dominate the Seljuks, and what will happen next. I need to expand and control the entire north to stand a chance later on.

Almost 18,000 in the treasury makes me a rich king. And a happy one with a big army.

The polite refusal and a proposal for information, too bad that Venice is already three steps ahead of us. No planning means a lot of bumps in the road.

Suffer not the uncoloured to live! And lower the costs of military salaries, those knights are very expensive and I have a lot of them. Future armies will have less knights and more Longbowmen, who are more important.

A good victory with some good casualties.

A big hurray for Catapults, these babies will speed up the conquest, though I need to build them close to the front.

No problem here.

Occupation, I want the little towns up and running asap.

Great. As far away from the front as can be, no ships around and more expenses to pay. Would rather have had 2500 gilder.

With a haircut like that, this guy needs all the traits he can get.

Spain is still besieging Bern, always a hard nut to crack. Also, that assassin is Venetian, and I would love to know what he's doing there and where he's going.

Crusade army is ready for combat.

Yay! More traits!

Dammit! This is bad news, if the Danes take the target now I'll have a big army that has to be paid for all of a sudden. Let's hope they're a slow bunch.

I'd like some map information, since the Poles are my new primary target. And they're not going to do anything with mine anyway.

...snot...

A warning to the Spanish, if we don't respond swiftly, events will overtake us and we'll be on our butts when the storm hits.

Quite a nice view, yes?

Facebook, anyone?
posted 21 January 2011 04:46 EDT (US)     16 / 19  
This thread should now be open again (rest assured I didn't read anything and I suspect it is out of date now anyway)
posted 21 January 2011 17:32 EDT (US)     17 / 19  
As the new commander of England, i will strive to update this thread as much as possible... I have no pictures so far but will take some and write them up on this thread as soon as my turn comes around next turn.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 26 January 2011 19:34 EDT (US)     18 / 19  
Ok A small update of turn 71

A message i received from EOJ, Apparently he is confused as to who is running England now..
[JPEG, (196.57 KB)]

A Turkish Outpost in the middle of my lands soon to be mine...
[JPEG, (233.82 KB)]

I Won a couple of victories against the polish... And they refused to pay any Ransomes...Silly people..
[JPEG, (224.48 KB)]
[JPEG, (245.57 KB)]

And here are some updated pictures of my Empire at the end of my turn...
[JPEG, (201.68 KB)]
[JPEG, (260.49 KB)]
[JPEG, (267.97 KB)]
[JPEG, (278.93 KB)]
[JPEG, (182.31 KB)]

That was turn 71, not too eventfull...

Ps. Dont know why they are not thumbnails...

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 16 February 2011 05:53 EDT (US)     19 / 19  
Look´s like you and EoJ are the super power´s of this game.

How are you going to handel the Mongol´s?
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » [Hotseat A] England hotseat campaign
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames