Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Proto-party? 1 Jan
posted 27 December 2011 04:21 EDT (US)   
Forum party
The idea:

Online games with fellow forumers.
Possibly using a mod, such as TATW, if agreed in advance.
Lasts an hour or two in order to allow several games and for everyone to get involved
Is about having fun and hopefully relatively few 'standard rules' games. Interesting maps and scenarios are encouraged

The tricky bits:
Past experience shows there are many issues such as - timing, GameSpy being a brute, other connection issues.
I'd hoped to organise a forum party for over the holidays (see 'the waffle' below) but these things take organisation and I didn't organise it

The solution - the proto-party
If you're around at:
1 January 2012
4pm GMT (5 pm CET, err something like 11am EST I think)

then I hope to be online with plain M2TW for a half party - if anyone else can be there, or try to be there, then we can check that connections work, identify issues that people face and practice getting online at the same time.

If it goes relatively smoothly then I'll try to organise a proper party for a weekend in the new year - with proper announcements on the front page and everything.

If you're interested, post here (or if you're a lurker then just turn up) - it'd be nice to know if anyone else will turn up. Times can be changed, I just picked that one.

The waffle:

Many nights before Christmas, a long while ago, thoughts of the past battered my poor frazzled mind. Thoughts of battles of old and the joy that they brought (what but good could ever come of violence after all, and what better time to think of it?) and a plan came about.
A fool-proof plan, or so it began, one plan to rule them all, one plan to find forumers, to bring them all and via Gamespy bind them.
A forum party, to rival those of old, what could be better or simpler?
Alas the mighty powers of the plan were nought before me and I've managed to fluff it a bit steady now, time frittered away (who would have thought that my wife would leave the present buying half done? "Of course I'm not buying myself a present, you are joking?" "err, yes dear, I just need to pop out for err a walk, I might be some time") means that this will not be a well thought out, advertised event and doesn't really merit the full title of 'forum party'.
Replies:
posted 29 December 2011 09:11 EDT (US)     1 / 11  
Vanilla is fine by me mostly

I'll round up some more!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 29 December 2011 09:29 EDT (US)     2 / 11  
This is a very good idea, +rep (if we had rep points over here, as it stands you'll just have to make do with a ).

However I will still be in Britain on New Year's, and my M2TW and high-speed internet connection are in Belgium, so alas, I can do no more than wish you all the very best of luck with this admirable venture...

posted 29 December 2011 11:47 EDT (US)     3 / 11  
I shall try to make it. I haven't touched M2TW in a few months now, and I had at most two weeks playing it.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
posted 29 December 2011 12:38 EDT (US)     4 / 11  
I'm not home at the moment, and wont be by the 1st. I havent even solved my CD key problem. I'll be glad to join you guys a later time once I fix the CD Key.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
posted 29 December 2011 18:28 EDT (US)     5 / 11  
For me that would be 8am in the morning a bit early, but I'll try to be there nonetheless. Hopefully our party continues on later into the afternoon (PST).
posted 31 December 2011 14:56 EDT (US)     6 / 11  
Thanks for those who've said they'll try to make it. We should probably have a password for the games - say "M2TWH" unless anyone objects. I don't see a need for it to be tricky, just to dissuade non-forumers.

I'd quite like to have a game on low money but with no rules (maybe other than 'no spamming of HAs', maybe not) say a 2v2 with 15k per team.

For anyone who's not played online before, you'll need to set up a gamespy id (www.gamespyid.com) - no need to register for anything or opt in to emails etc

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 12-31-2011 @ 04:47 PM).]

posted 01 January 2012 08:40 EDT (US)     7 / 11  
I'm in once I've taken a shower and get some food in my stomach. See you guys there.

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Chauvinism is not a particularly nice trait at the best of times but can be suicidal when the person your talking too can have you executed on a whim.

Facebook, anyone?
posted 01 January 2012 09:00 EDT (US)     8 / 11  
Splendid, see you in a couple of hours then
posted 01 January 2012 15:00 EDT (US)     9 / 11  
That was excellent fun

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 01 January 2012 22:48 EDT (US)     10 / 11  
Perhaps another. Maybe the Sunday or Friday around the 14th? I will be able to join then. Today didn't work because I didn't realize I worked today until... my alarm went off for me to go to work

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer

[This message has been edited by Punic Hoplite (edited 01-01-2012 @ 10:54 PM).]

posted 02 January 2012 03:02 EDT (US)     11 / 11  
It was good, thanks to those who attended and to EoJ for doing more organising than I did.

We discussed this briefly and were thinking of having something like quarterly parties, with a bit more advance notice than this one had.
Weekends or UK bank holidays are likely to work for me much better than weekdays. What sort of time of day is likely to go down well / be possible for anyone?
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » Proto-party? 1 Jan
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames