You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Empire: Total War Discussion thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
posted 22 August 2007 06:13 EDT (US)   
Empire: Total War is marching slowly towards us!

Relevant links:

The official site
Preview article on land combat at Gamespot
Another land combat preview at IGN
Total War Heaven Youtube channel - featuring some trailers

FAQ

1. Do we have a release date?
The game is currently scheduled to be out in February 2009.

2. How many factions will there be?
There will be 12 playable factions, all playable from the start. Currently confirmed factions are Britain, Prussia, France, Spain, America, Austria, the Dutch Republic and the Ottoman Empire. References to Peter the Great and Charles XII mean that Russia and Sweden are likely candidates as well. A CA developer has said:
We have over 50 factions in the game, and we can't create all of them in the full detail they deserve. Therefore we limit the number of playable factions, but we can't say which ones are playable just yet, simply because we haven't made a final decision. Rest assured though that all major factions (even the non-playable ones) will be represented in high detail.
3. Do we know system requirements? Will the game require Vista?
There are no released system requirements yet, but the game will run with DirectX 9.0, so Vista will not be a minimum requirement for the game. DX10 support is likely but not needed.

4. What period will the game cover?
Empire: Total War will cover the 18th century and the early 19th century.

5. What will the campaign map be?
The latest information suggests that it will include Europe, North and South America, North Africa, Central Asia, India, and Indonesia.

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 08-27-2008 @ 05:52 AM).]

Replies:
posted 22 August 2007 06:28 EDT (US)     1 / 254  
I am at once both optimistic and full of trepidation...

I do hope that they go down the route of unit variation being largely visual rather than every faction needing a range of 'uber' units that are unique to it and then get spammed unmercifully as soon as the requisite buildings appear.

Civile! Si ergo fortibusis in ero.
Wassis inem causan dux?
Gnossis vile demsis trux!

I suggest that before badgering for a translation you take the time to read it out loud. Thankyou.
posted 22 August 2007 06:31 EDT (US)     2 / 254  
For now, let us focus on the overwhelming positives.

Worldwide scope. Sea combat. Formations. Tileless campaign map. Structures outwith cities. Garrisonable buildings on battle maps.

I am ALL UP ONS for this.
posted 22 August 2007 06:31 EDT (US)     3 / 254  
I am so putting this on the news!

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 22 August 2007 06:32 EDT (US)     4 / 254  
Awesome!

However, something gives me the feeling that if I were to try to install something like this my computer would start giving off smoke in an alarming way...

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx

[This message has been edited by Wolfpanzee (edited 08-22-2007 @ 06:34 AM).]

posted 22 August 2007 06:40 EDT (US)     5 / 254  
Formations is good. Although I do hope they allow a '4 deep line' that gives a halfway house between square and line with respect to cavalry defence as well as square, line and column.

Sea battles I'm less sure about. I hope wind direction is a factor (no sailing about willy-nilly on the battle map). But I almost feel there's a TW game of its own just in C18 sea warfare.

Are they increasing the 20 unit limit at all? I hope so. It'd be nice to have properly big battles with say 30 or so battalions a side plus supporting squadrons and artillery companies.

Civile! Si ergo fortibusis in ero.
Wassis inem causan dux?
Gnossis vile demsis trux!

I suggest that before badgering for a translation you take the time to read it out loud. Thankyou.
posted 22 August 2007 06:45 EDT (US)     6 / 254  
Empire: Total War™ has already been secretly in development at The Creative Assembly’s Horsham studio for over a year and is priming its forces for a release in 2008.
posted 22 August 2007 06:46 EDT (US)     7 / 254  
Surely this will finally put to rest the idiots who labour under the impression that the games' expansion packs are the 'evolutionary' titles and that Medieval 2 was supposed to be revolutionary.

Surely.
posted 22 August 2007 06:50 EDT (US)     8 / 254  
Paranoia Andrew paranoia

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 22 August 2007 07:30 EDT (US)     9 / 254  

Possibly ingame. Possibly not.
posted 22 August 2007 07:38 EDT (US)     10 / 254  
That looks great!
However, something gives me the feeling that if I were to try to install something like this my computer would start giving off smoke in an alarming way...
I'm feeling the exact same thing. Medieval II doesn't work on my system, let alone Empires.

Screenshot

Hussarknight
posted 22 August 2007 07:39 EDT (US)     11 / 254  
This game looks amazing. I cant wait to launch full scale naval battles something i have always been wanting to do. I also enjoyed the age of empires 3 game but there was something missing like the campaign map of the total war series, so I hope this game will be perfect for me.

Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
All generalizations are false, including this one.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
posted 22 August 2007 07:47 EDT (US)     12 / 254  
Empire is being developed by Creative Assembly in a mechanical-looking office block just inside the Horsham ring road.
That's about 7 miles from my house.

-+- Non sequiturs and weak puns a speciality -+-
posted 22 August 2007 07:47 EDT (US)     13 / 254  
Except for the one obviously painted concept art that we have released, these shots are in-game.
There we have it, folks. That screenshot is ingame.
posted 22 August 2007 07:48 EDT (US)     14 / 254  
Looks great. I doubt I'll be able to play it though.
posted 22 August 2007 08:09 EDT (US)     15 / 254  
Yes. Yes. Oh so yes. ****ing yes. YES.
Quoted for the awesome truth.
James is working from a list of pre-typed bullet points. Mike is different: a distracted, intellectual, almost Doctor Who-like figure
A) His name's James
B) He's compared to Dr. Who.

Mein Gott, this is gonna be awesome.

http://uk.media.pc.ign.com/media/958/958390/imgs_1.html
Concept art, methinks.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article21290.html
Another picture in here, but the article's basically copied and pasted from the .com

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 08-22-2007 @ 09:00 AM).]

posted 22 August 2007 09:19 EDT (US)     16 / 254  
I prefer the historical timeline of Rome and Medieval Total war but this looks good none the less. I don't know what to make of the naval battles as I am not really a fan of naval warfare history apart from feats of Admiral Yi Sun-shin but it does make the game feel more rounded aan I hated losing my men at sea so atleast now it is in my own hands.

My biggest concern is there is no way my computer at the moment will be able to run it.

In war wolves are smarter than men. We Mongols learned from them how to hunt, how to encircle, even how to fight a war. There are no wolf packs where you Chinese live, so you haven't learnt how to fight a war. You can't win a war just because you have lots of land and people. No, it depends on whether you're a wolf or a sheep.
posted 22 August 2007 09:20 EDT (US)     17 / 254  
So an entire world map? sounds like a lot of factions.
posted 22 August 2007 09:22 EDT (US)     18 / 254  
Shit, maybe the time has come to invest in a new PC?

Ahm Heribeus
Is a suits murmur
posted 22 August 2007 09:24 EDT (US)     19 / 254  
Yes, I think so.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 22 August 2007 09:29 EDT (US)     20 / 254  
So an entire world map? sounds like a lot of factions.
Probably 'just' Europe, the Americas, India, and a swathe of Africa.

At least, CA have said that Europe, America, and India will be the focus of the game. But they'd surely have to include a sea passage round the Cape to India, so...
posted 22 August 2007 09:38 EDT (US)     21 / 254  
Shit, maybe the time has come to invest in a new PC?
Indeed. Anyone know a quick, easy, and preferably legal way of making a lot of money?

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx
posted 22 August 2007 09:41 EDT (US)     22 / 254  
OH my gosh. Sweet. Sick.

Sick!

That screenshot is amazing, naval battles have finally arrived. The naval battles a;one could sell this game.

Sick.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 22 August 2007 10:13 EDT (US)     23 / 254  
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
YES!

As someone said the history in Rome and Medieval is more interesting, but this... what was that quote?
Yes. Yes. Oh so yes. ****ing yes. YES.
Thats the one!

––––––––––•(-• ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ •-)•––––––––––
RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [―――――]†λ†[―――――]
«Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.»
~Albert Einstein
posted 22 August 2007 10:57 EDT (US)     24 / 254  
Stupid CA won't make a mac version. Nobody makes Mac versions anymore. Us people stuck with PowerPC's are in the rut. And my wife's PC isn't fast enough to run games like this anymore.

And this game is giving me orgasms. I just don't get it. Is it really time for a new computer?
posted 22 August 2007 12:17 EDT (US)     25 / 254  
Its an entirely new engine.

The screen shots you see are real unless otherwise stated by someone from CA.
Its not finished yet so you will see some glitches in the screen shots
Release at some time in 2008
There are units with spears and lances but they tend to suffer a little at the hands of a modern musket and cannon equipped army

The campaign map is B I G but easily playable.

The screen shots of the battles sometimes seem sort of like an oil painting, if an oil painting was filled with thousands of men, horses and cannon and was able to animate by just un-pausing it.

The event pictures look like oil paintings by a master

Naval battles...huh..huhhhurrr...mmmmm.

Sorry got carried away.

Intrepid C I F ~ C.A Staff

http://www.totalwar.com

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » Empire: Total War Discussion thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames