posted 28 September 2005 11:41 EDT (US)   
Here are my specs

AMD Athlon XP 2600+, mmx, 3dnow, ~2.1Ghz
Windows XP home edition service pack 2
512MB Ram
1031MB available
Radeon 9200 series
Direct x9.0

I have just upgraded to xp service pack 2 so I suspect this is causing the problem. The problem being, I can load to the menu screens of RTW but when I try and load my campaign the game just disappears without even getting as far as the loading game bar and I'm back on my desktop. I've looked on google to see if I could find anything about service pack 2 problems but to no avail.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Replies:
posted 28 September 2005 20:55 EDT (US)     1 / 7  

Quote:

Radeon 9200 series

This is not supported by the game. That is most likely your problem, although we have had some cases which involved SP2. Try updating DirectX to 9.0c, but still, I think the video card is the main problem.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 29 September 2005 06:01 EDT (US)     2 / 7  
Well I updated to directx 9c, but still no luck. Is radeon 9200 not supported at all? Before I installed SP2 the game worked just fine with my 9200. Isn't there anything I can do!? It seems ridiculous that I can now not play my favourite game without buying a new graphics card! You would have thought Activision would provide some kind of support. Maybe they will pay for my new graphics card like true gentlemen. grrr.

[This message has been edited by rollaround (edited 09-29-2005 @ 06:02 AM).]

posted 29 September 2005 07:25 EDT (US)     3 / 7  
It isn't supported, but it seems that SP2 is now the problem, as you were able to play the game before. I'm not quite sure what to do though...maybe update the drivers on your card?

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 01 October 2005 12:17 EDT (US)     4 / 7  
*Sigh* now the game won't load at all...the CD spins, the rome box comes up then nothing...

How depressing, I was enjoying my Scipii game soo much!!

posted 01 October 2005 14:45 EDT (US)     5 / 7  
Try going on Activision Support page - maybe you can find a professional answer there.

EDIT: Here's the Link.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!

[This message has been edited by Ichbinian (edited 10-01-2005 @ 02:47 PM).]

posted 02 October 2005 09:16 EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Cheers fella
posted 15 November 2005 17:25 EDT (US)     7 / 7  
OK, you may not like this, but here is what I would do. As a warning, if you are computer illiterate, you can just skip this advice (or get a friend to help).

First, XP SP2 has approximately 4,000 known unresolved errors, and about 6-10,000 more that MS does not yet acknowledge. Fortunately for you as a home user (but unfortunately as a gamer), most of these errors do not directly affect your gameplay of RTW. However, some will... and they can manifest in unusual ways, depending on exactly what you have installed, uninstalled, and the websites you surf (or have even visited, particularly with MS Internet Explorer).

The fault tree becomes quite complex, and the fastest and surest way to deal with the myriad of interrelated problems is this: Reinstall windows XP. But not a plain install. You should slipstream a gold copy of XP and burn your own new CD. This means to integrate SP2 into XP, and create a new install disk, then install from it. MS describes how to do it. However, it is easier with a 3rd party program like the freeware nLite.

Rather than post a very long description, just look here.

When you create a slipstreamed XP SP2 disk (it is 100% legal, and it is explicitly cool with MS, if anyone is wondering), then install a fresh (not upgrade or re-install) XP from it, install your latest stable motherboard & hardware drivers, bring your XP updates up-to-date via windows update including DirectX 9.0c, ensure your system is free of conflicts (Control Panel, system), then install and update WMP10. Then install RTW, and patch it (either 1.2 or 1.3, depending on your preference).

I think RTW will run on the 9200, though I cannot verify this because all my machines run various nVidia cards, except for a lone 9600 machine. At any rate, RTW should not crash like you describe owing to the 9200 card. The crash is related to something else, and I think it is not directly related to SP2, though it may well be caused by an SP2 installed update conflicting with something on your system, or in your registry.

Post your results .

Happy hunting....

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Game loads to menu but won't load to campaign map
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames