You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Problem Getting the Original Running
posted 30 September 2005 23:50 EDT (US)   
The main problem is that I can't get the original working again after installing BI. I tried uninstalling everything, re-installing the original, then installing the patch, and I'm able to install the original, but when I try to patch it to 1.2 I always get a message that says that 1.2 is already installed, which it certainly isn't, since I can't play online and get that message about the mandatory patch. I've uninstalled and deleted every instance of RTW on my computer and re-installed it, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas on how I can get the computer to recognize the fact that I DON'T have the v1.2 patch installed when I reinstall RTW?

Thanks.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
Replies:
posted 01 October 2005 13:07 EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Hi Ace. There've been quite a number of threads regarding reinstalling 1.2. You can find them here. It's got something to do with the registry, so you've got to clear its RTW-related contents. Instructions in those threads.

Hope it helps.

posted 01 October 2005 23:50 EDT (US)     2 / 17  
Thanks, Duan! I guess using the search feature unfortunately slipped my mind.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 02 October 2005 01:19 EDT (US)     3 / 17  
I'm also having a problem...

When I try to play the original RTW online (I can play SP fine), ALL games are listed as uncompatible. I'm not running the BI executable, yet it says I am.

C hairman of the FMT, Mectator, and Seraph
r esident of Unity RPG, Anti-Heroes, and Indolents
a seraph at SWGBH and EAWH
z apping spammers and stealing their shoes
e w o k "Don't waste your breath trying to figure out my logic" - Seacker
d ependent on daily tea infusions
posted 02 October 2005 02:13 EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Are you using any mods? You can't play MP with mods installed.
posted 02 October 2005 02:32 EDT (US)     5 / 17  
None. However, someone in the chat lobby said that BI patches vanilla RTW with a patch that hasn't been released for only-vanilla RTW users...dunno how credible that is or not, can anyone confirm?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just did. In the Options menu, RTW vanilla clearly says Version 1.3.

[This message has been edited by Crazed Ewok (edited 10-02-2005 @ 02:38 AM).]

posted 02 October 2005 02:40 EDT (US)     6 / 17  
Mmm... You could check out the Version file (Setup Info file) in the main RTW directory. See what version it states there. I can't really verify with you though, because I have MM2 installed, and I'm not sure if it does anything to change the data in there.

Did the MP problem occur only after you installed BI? In that case, the expansion could very well be the culprit.

posted 02 October 2005 13:07 EDT (US)     7 / 17  
Yep. As I said, RTW is a different version that what the others have. So I at least know the cause of my problem, though I can't solve it without uninstalling BI. =/

posted 12 October 2005 02:03 EDT (US)     8 / 17  
Hi there. I am also have problems in trying to run the original game. I tried to play it last night and I was able to get all the way into the game but once I had selected the faction I wished to play and clicked on the start campaign arrow all that happend was it returned to the main menu. Does anyone have any ideas? Or do I have to uninstall BI every time I wish to play the original? Is this problem common? One point is I have not installed any mods on either R:TW or BI.

Any help will be appreciated.

Noli illegitimi carborundum.
If at first you don't succeed give up for it obviously isn't worth the effort.
Why stand up when you can sit down, why sit down when you can lie down.
posted 12 October 2005 20:50 EDT (US)     9 / 17  
I am also having a problem. The original game worked just fine before installing BI. Then, I went to continue my orginal game and when I select my save game, it just takes me back to the main menu.

I uninstalled the expansion and original game, reinstalled and tried to update the patch. It told me I was already updated, so I copied my back up saves back to the folder and had the same problem.

I uninstalled the game again and then deleted the folder still left on the computer. I reinstalled, had the same update problem, but was able to start a new game with the original, but still cannot load my back up saves.

I followed the link posted here earlier and tried to delete the game from the registry, but it was not there. I have no idea what to do now.

posted 14 October 2005 09:03 EDT (US)     10 / 17  
You might have to just delete every folder for RTW that ever existed...maybe that'll work.
posted 20 October 2005 17:51 EDT (US)     11 / 17  
@Cunobelinus
>I am also have problems in trying to run the original game.
>I tried to play it last night and I was able to get all the
>way into the game but once I had selected the faction I wished
>to play and clicked on the start campaign arrow all that happend
>was it returned to the main menu. Does anyone have any ideas?

One of the things that causes this is a required file not EXACTLY matching the format that the game engine expects. For instance, the exact error you describe (return to menu when beginning campaing) WILL occur if you make an error in editing this file:

C:\.....\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt

There is some sort of unexpected file format, error, etc. in one or more game required files that will cause this. Perhaps it is an incompatibility in pre 1.3 game files and the 1.3 game engine. I have not yet looked into that.

As for solution, I don't have an acceptable one (the unacceptable one is to maintain 1.2 on one boot partition, and 1.3 on another, which is OK for me, but not acceptable in general).

Good hunting...

posted 21 October 2005 02:20 EDT (US)     12 / 17  
Wartrain thank you for that but before I loaded BI I was able to play original and have only been unable to play original since installing BI. I will be honest and have modded some files but did successfully play original afterwards. Does this mean any successful mods will affect the running of the game? Do I have to uninstall everything and start afresh? Or do I just consign RTW to the bin?

posted 21 October 2005 09:45 EDT (US)     13 / 17  
OK, I tried installing 1.2, upgrading to 1.3 with the 1.3 patch, and then attempting to load my known good 1.2 saves. It seems that, as others have mentioned in other threads, that a patched 1.3 RTW install will, sadly, not load the 1.2 saves. It is astounding that this is true, but it evidently is. So the only real work-around that I can currently see is to maintain 2 separate installs... a 1.2 version and a 1.3 version.

As a further comment, I have not played a lot of the 1.3 patch yet. If what I have read in this forum is true, particularly about the horrible bugs in Roman faction play introduced in 1.3, then it looks like I'll need to keep a dual install anyway, depending on exactly what I want to play (e.g., which set of these terrible game bugs I would enjoy infesting my game). I'm really really hoping "they" read these sorts of posts and immediately and firmly commit to a 1.4 patch which is thoughtfully considered, well-programmed, and properly tested... which will elimiate these sorts of gameplay (particularly AI) bugs.

So, it seems WE will be unable to play 1.2 files in 1.3 patched games, and I do not have the time to make a conversion program (but... maybe someone does!) for 1.2 saves to become 1.3 compatible.

Good hunting....

posted 24 October 2005 01:57 EDT (US)     14 / 17  
Hey I have cured my problem. Now have both running. I had to uninstall both and then re-install. Both now work. All I can assume is if any modification (even if done correctly)has been done to RTW it will not be recognised by BI. *shrugs* Hopefully anyone else having the same trouble can do the same and get their RTW working.

posted 24 October 2005 02:51 EDT (US)     15 / 17  
What I did to cure my problem was this:

Uninstall RTW (and BI, if you have it)
Install RTW
Install RTW 1.2 patch
Install BI

After that, everything ran. I don't know if old campaigns and saved games worked, because I lost them in the uninstall.

posted 25 October 2005 05:31 EDT (US)     16 / 17  
Unfortunately, you still would not be able to play your old 1.2 saves (if you still had them) in 1.3.

It is almost beyond belief that the game makers do not allow 1.3 to load 1.2 saves, even if a "conversion" utility were necessary (e.g., convert the 1.2 save into 1.3 format, and then continue to play in 1.3). In my experience, this is a slap in the face of those of us who have been playing RTW for the last year. It does not affect the "new" players who begin playing RTW with the BI edition, since they will have no 1.2 saves.

SO I consider it a personal insult that my dozens of saves are no longer usable in 1.3. However, the reality is that I now have dual-install of 1.2 and 1.3, but that is a "pain", since it takes up much hard drive space and I need to reboot any time I want to play the other version.

posted 28 October 2005 10:18 EDT (US)     17 / 17  
I can't play a custom battle in RTW after installing BI i just get a CTD any help?

EDIT: I did what Ewok did and it's fine now,I didn't have 1.02 patch was all.

[This message has been edited by Death Hawk (edited 10-28-2005 @ 06:47 PM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Problem Getting the Original Running
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames