You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: CTD On event Movies
posted 13 October 2005 07:48 EDT (US)   
Hey guys, I've recently installed RTW 1.2 on my lovely Windows 64 partition, and loaded up my previous save game. The battles work fine, the graphics are as great as ever, the only problem is that I'll crash to desktop whenever an event movie plays on the map screen - you know, the 'X race annihilated', 'Great wonder captured' videos and all the rest.
I'm thinking it's a possible media codec clash, and have reinstalled the redist WMP drivers that come with RTW, but it's still happening. Any ideas? Has anybody else with Win64 had this problem, and is there a fix?

PS - I've tried the '-show_err' exe argument (with and without the space after the dash), but no error message pops up on the CTD.

Help!

Replies:
posted 13 October 2005 16:46 EDT (US)     1 / 2  
If you have WMP version 10, try rolling back to 9.
If you have 9, try rolling up to 10.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 17 November 2005 23:01 EDT (US)     2 / 2  
About the -show_err, all you need is this:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

However, it won't guarantee a message 100% of the time.

Win64 runs some very different things at the lower level, esp. in terms of kernal protection. However, this is not a Win64 issue. It is a codec issue, as Ichbinian implied in his post.

RTW uses movies encoded with MS Media Player 9 codecs. Unfortunately, though the movies are of good quality, these codecs are often in a jumble on people's machines for various reasons. If you want to test them without the game, they are here ...\Rome – Total War\Data\fmv\ .

RTW needs to have the codecs of WMP9 or WMP10 fully installed and functional (e.g., you also need a working sound card and good drivers). Since you have tried the WMP9 codecs on the CD, then you should install WMP10 (purely to get the correct codecs installed an properly registered).

You can download the WMP10 install for XP directly from Microsoft for free:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/default.aspx.

If it is still a problem, try ininstalling WMP10, and all other codecs on the machine, including K-lite, Nemo, etc. Then install WMP10 and try playing the videos manually, then in the game.

Good hunting ...

PS, I do not run Win64, so if you want to have more of a look at the codec issue, this freeware program might help: GSpot 1.21, http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » CTD On event Movies
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames