You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Crash to desktop...
posted 14 October 2005 09:14 EDT (US)   
Whenever I try to take a city (Corinth), my game crashes to the desktop! Is there any way to prevent this? (I'm on Rome v1.2, downloading v1.3 now...slowly).
Replies:
posted 14 October 2005 16:56 EDT (US)     1 / 6  
System specs please.
Drivers up to date on your video card?

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 14 October 2005 20:45 EDT (US)     2 / 6  
Specs
P4 3.4 Ghz
1 GB RAM
Geforce 6800

Drivers are up to date, but I'll try again...

posted 20 October 2005 17:39 EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Sorry, but you must revert to a previous save. You may have to return several saves back. It evidently has something to do with a corruption introduced into the save file. The alternative is to get TCA to give you the save file layout, and hex edit it yourself. Ugh.

Save frequently.

Good hunting...

posted 24 October 2005 00:27 EDT (US)     4 / 6  
Any idea what causes this corruption? I just had this happen to me today. It happened at Sardinis, first after I had just one a hard fought battle against the Greeks, and then later on when I had to try taking the settlement a second time it crashed every time I tried auto-resolving an attack on that same settlement. Urghh! And to think I had gotten so close! Well, that was 113 BC, so I'm going to go back 20 years just to be safe.

It's bad enough I spend endless hours playing this thing--to have it crash out on you after all that time spent is pretty irritating!

posted 25 October 2005 05:19 EDT (US)     5 / 6  
>Any idea what causes this corruption?

The bug is caused by a combination of events and unit locations on the map which lead to an "unanticipated" eventuality, which will (e.g.) change a character in the save file, and that resulting save file is no longer in the rigid, inflexible format that the programmers expected. RTW programmers seem to have created the game with absolutely zero tolerance for real-world errors in the setup and save files... and so when an error happens (could be from a game programming issue, or even a hard-drive glitch), the result is your save will not load, or (in the case of editing the game setup files), that the campaign will not start.

>Well, that was 113 BC, so I'm going to go back 20 years just to be safe.

You can load a recent save, and quickly run through it to see if the same problem happens. If it does not, then load that save again and play it out. "Usually", you only need to go back a save or two.

posted 26 October 2005 21:31 EDT (US)     6 / 6  
Thanks! A couple saves back was really all I needed. Played about 10 years worth with no glitches. I was more worried that an error from WAAAY back was being copied over several saves, but if that's true it wasn't very many.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Crash to desktop...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames