You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: can't do im perial campain
posted 23 October 2005 19:18 EDT (US)   
when ever i click on the imperial campain , somthing pops up and it takes me back to teh singal player menu again.

Note: i was messing around the descr_strat file befor it happened. this may be the cause, or it may not be... i am still able to laod games but not a comsom battle. after i finish my capine from saving, im going to reinstall the game and see if that solvs it...

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[ŻŻŻŻŻŻ]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[]/===]
|/ŻŻŻŻ/##/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ-------------------/ŻŻŻŻ
`````/##/
Replies:
posted 23 October 2005 20:33 EDT (US)     1 / 7  
It could very well be that. From all the problems you've described in the number of threads you posted, I think your best option is just to uninstall, then install again.

C hairman of the FMT, Mectator, and Seraph
r esident of Unity RPG, Anti-Heroes, and Indolents
a seraph at SWGBH and EAWH
z apping spammers and stealing their shoes
e w o k "Don't waste your breath trying to figure out my logic" - Seacker
d ependent on daily tea infusions
posted 24 October 2005 01:59 EDT (US)     2 / 7  
Yes Centurion brutii uninstall and re-install will cure your problem. It sounds like you had exactlly the same problem as I but after I did the remove and refit I can now get both working.

Noli illegitimi carborundum.
If at first you don't succeed give up for it obviously isn't worth the effort.
Why stand up when you can sit down, why sit down when you can lie down.
posted 24 October 2005 18:33 EDT (US)     3 / 7  
thanks for the help

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[ŻŻŻŻŻŻ]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[]/===]
|/ŻŻŻŻ/##/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ-------------------/ŻŻŻŻ
`````/##/
posted 25 October 2005 06:03 EDT (US)     4 / 7  
For anyone who decides to edit ANY file by hand, follow this procedure:

1. FIRST, back up (copy) the original file you are going to edit (put the copy in a safe location).

2. Make a few changes, save, then TEST your edit (e.g., start a campaign). If it starts, the edits are likely OK.

3. Edit the file some more (if needed), then TEST.

4. If the campaign will not start, revert to a prior save or revert to the original (which you safely backed up in step 1).

For advanced users (or kamakazi editors): You are likely editing files within the C:\...\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign directory. If you want to be "safe", then backup all files and directories in the \Data\world directory. It is about 114 MB for RTW 1.3 (with no BI). If you get into problems, then restore that orininal backup and you will not need to reinstall the game.

Good hunting...

posted 25 October 2005 14:51 EDT (US)     5 / 7  
I posted this already in another thread, but so far no one had answered it.

I installed patch 1.3 but now I can't play the 'nonplayable' factions. I could play them with 1.2 and haven't changed anything further. Anyone can help me with this? Can anyone play the 'nonplayable' factions (Spain, Macedon, Scythia etc.)?
The only thing I changed is the desc_strat file by cut-paste the factions...

GdB
• • • • •

"The story of our life, in the end, is not our life, it is our story" - Americano
Ad furore Dutchmannorum libera nos domine - Ace Cataphract

[This message has been edited by Dricus Frisii (edited 10-25-2005 @ 02:53 PM).]

posted 25 October 2005 16:08 EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Here is the "standard" first lines in the C:\...\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt file:

; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaignimperial_campaign
playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii
end
unlockable
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities
end
nonplayable
romans_senate
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
scythia
spain
thrace
numidia
slave
end

Though the 1.3 patch to 1.2 (no BI) did not replace the descr_strat.txt, somehow your descr_strat.txt was altered. Compare it to what I have posted above. Move the civs you want to play from the nonplayable to the unlockable. That will make the civ available for you to play. (note: the indenting spaces are stripped out because the heavengames BB removes them from posts, but spaces do not matter in the descr_strat.txt file... they are only for "readability")

Good hunting...

posted 25 October 2005 16:51 EDT (US)     7 / 7  
Thanks Wartrain, but that's exactly what it looks like in my desc_strat, so it must be something else. I have made a copy of the total game before I installed the 1.3 patch but that looks the same.
Probably have to re-install it...

It's nice to see a 'new' forumer with so much knowledge of the game. Good work.
Ps: I somehow knew you were going to answer my question...

EDIT: Thanks to Lars and Sjonnie I now know how to play the 'nonplayable' factions. Will try it as soon as I'm home...

Quote:

In order to not cause a CTD when you select a non-playble faction you'll need to make a faction description. That is the 1.3 trouble.

Quote:

C:\program files\activision\Rome Total war\data\text\campaign_descriptions

GdB
• • • • •

"The story of our life, in the end, is not our life, it is our story" - Americano
Ad furore Dutchmannorum libera nos domine - Ace Cataphract

[This message has been edited by Dricus Frisii (edited 10-26-2005 @ 04:14 AM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » can't do im perial campain
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames