You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: need HELP with Rome AUDIO SETTINGS!!!!
posted 30 October 2005 18:27 EDT (US)   
I recently bought a new computer and installed everything including Rome. When I press play, it starts to load the game (the small red image appears in the middle of the screen). Then the image disppears (still normal), but then instead of continuaing to load the game, there is a message which appears saying:

Rome TW encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

My desktop specs are:
P4 3.2 GHz
1024 MB 533MHz DDR
ATI X700 256 MB video card
etc.

I checked out the sound card driver and there is none on the computer. The motherboard has an integrated sound card in it but I can't install it.
What I would like to know is whether is is possible to play Rome without a sound driver installed by changing the peferences to mute somehow.
I tried disabling audio and music in the preferences, but the game still won't load.

Help would be very appreciated!!!

Replies:
posted 03 November 2005 00:11 EDT (US)     1 / 6  
First of all, why are you so sure that it's a sound issue?...

Also, the onboard sound should be activated already if you don't have a sound card. The folks who assembled the PC (if you asked someone else to do it) should have installed the sound drivers. If it isn't, find the motherboard driver CD and pop it into your CD drive. The onboard sound drivers should be found there.

*edit* This looks very much like the same problem as in Seany Boi's thread. I'm not very sure how to deal with it, but let's just follow the thread as it goes along.

[This message has been edited by Duan Xuan (edited 11-03-2005 @ 00:12 AM).]

posted 03 November 2005 12:03 EDT (US)     2 / 6  
Your exactly right. I have no sound either lol. Thanks now i know that must be why cheers ill sort it out.

bag of weed - £40
skins - 99p
new muse cd - £6
getting stoned out your head on your night off listening to tunes
PRICELESS
"Well I've already been under and on top of 5 women at this point of my life so I guess it evens out." - DominicusUltimus
posted 04 November 2005 10:28 EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Do get back to us and tell us if things are working now.
posted 06 November 2005 07:48 EDT (US)     4 / 6  
Hey there i noticed it was my sound card that is mucvking me up. So i went into device manager to re-install it but nothing came up on my list. I know this is rather dodgy and i was wondering if anyone knows why what where lol Or can tell me how to re-install my driver thanks peeps

bag of weed - £40
skins - 99p
new muse cd - £6
PRICELESS
"Well I've already been under and on top of 5 women at this point of my life so I guess it evens out." - DominicusUltimus
posted 06 November 2005 11:42 EDT (US)     5 / 6  
I think i have the sollution to your porlbem. It fixed mines. what may be rong is that you have plug and play turned of. This stops any sound crap working. so go to runtype MSConfig and then go to the startup button that comes up and make sure plug and play is enabled to start at startup. (tongue twister) Then restart your pc and when you start up you should see the volume control in the corner. This means it has worked W00t and then run RTW and have fun kiling lots of people. HOpe this helps please post back to tell.

bag of weed - £40
skins - 99p
new muse cd - £6
PRICELESS
posted 15 November 2005 09:26 EDT (US)     6 / 6  
You must have the sound card installed properly to run RTW. This is because RTW needs... nay, absolutely must have... the codecs it expects when it starts. Those codecs cannot be installed and functioning on your PC unless there is a supported hardware device properly working (e.g., sound card). This is an Operating System (OS) limitation inflicted upon the world by MS.

So, in short, you must get your sound system working. Here is how.

If you have the motherboard manual, use it to determine the make/version (PCB revision) of your motherboard, go to the maker's website, download the latest appropriate drivers, and install them.

If you don't have a manual, then open your case. Look, don't touch (unless you are confident working with the guts of PCs), and find the motherboard maker, e.g., "K7S5A rev 3.1". Typically, it is printed or etched between the white PCI slots. Often the revision number is between slots 3&4, and a flashlight can help read it. You may even be able to read the top of the squarish black chips (about 2 or 3 CM square), and those model numbers can be used to locate integrated sound drivers. However, they are often covered with a heatsink (do not remove heatsinks!).

Use the MB model number (e.g., "K7S5A") and the PCB revision number (e.g., "3.1") to locate the exact drivers on the MB maker's website. Sometimes, you can read what the sound chip number is on the website (e.g., ESS1788), then go to the maker of the sound chip and get the newest driver from them.

Either way, you need the driver (if Windows does not install it automatically, that is). You also need to set the BIOS to use the integrated Audio, and to recognize PnP systems. You must read the manual with your MB to find out about these settings, or post a question on the MB maker's website if you need specific advice on your model's settings.

Good hunting...

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » need HELP with Rome AUDIO SETTINGS!!!!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames