You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Problem w/fire arrows
posted 17 November 2005 11:19 EDT (US)   
Everytime I play a battle and a unit of archers (or whatever) starts using fire arrows, the game nearly crashes. It plays so slow that I'm forced to exit. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, but it still does this. I have no idea what the problem could be.
Replies:
posted 17 November 2005 16:35 EDT (US)     1 / 4  
System specs please. Or maybe just turn some of the effects down?

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 17 November 2005 20:35 EDT (US)     2 / 4  
I'm sure others have had this problem too. So I wrote a general HOWTO for it; the actual thing you need to do is set you AGP Aperture size for your system. It's explained here, likely 128MB will correct the slow play and CTD.

You can post what your AGP Aperture size was, and what you set it to after reading the link, and your Video Card info... it might be helpful to others for an example.

Happy hunting...

BTW, on one of my AMD XP2600 (Barton core) machines with nVidia nForce 2 and MX400 IGP (333MHz 1GB 2x512 2-2-2-5 Dual Channel RAM), I increased my video RAM from 64MB to 128MB, and AGP Aperture Size to 128MB, and no problems with mega flaming pigs, flaming buildings, and flaming arrows .

posted 20 November 2005 19:49 EDT (US)     3 / 4  
Actually, I found that my apperature size was 128 MB, so I changed it to 256 MB. I started up a custom battle and used fire arrows right off the bat, and it did it again. It's not that it crashes to the desktop, but the game goes extremely slow, so slow that I have to exit. Do you have any more ideas as to what the problem might be? Is it possible to disable fire arrows?
posted 20 November 2005 21:00 EDT (US)     4 / 4  
Extremely slow. That normally indicates the graphic card and/or northbridge driver(s) are not working properly. I have not seen that particular issue in any recent nVidia drivers. You likely have ATI; if so, try the Omega drivers or revert back several revisions. Many report that the newer ATI builds are buggy at first. Download and install the most recent stable versions of your motherboard chipset drivers, and you might want to update your video card bios, if the readmes mention non-cosmetic fixes.

You should run DXDiag (START - RUN - dxdiag.exe), run all tests, then click "Save All Information", then copy and paste that entire file (it might be quite long) here. There are lots of combinations of hardware, drivers, DLLs, etc. that could account for it, but it is too diverse to make specific recommendations at this point.

But I am sure it is related to textures, and since your AGP Aperture is adjusted correctly (leave it at 128 for RTW), you need to say exactly what graphic card you are using, including memory timings, overclocking (if any), and RAM.

Are you running a dual-core? If so, switch a core off.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Problem w/fire arrows
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames