You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My game got junked, and now can't reinstall
posted 20 November 2005 12:54 EDT (US)   
hello, recently installed the greek swords man mod, its awseome! that made me want to download and install more mods. my eyes were pointed towards the alternative bull warior mod. so i downloaded it and folowed the read me. after i installed it i started RTW it worked like usaual, but when i got the the first screen( the one where it have all the rights reserved for activision and gamespy) it suddenly went back to the desktop! so i was like really pissed... and i went and re-did the read me. the same thing happened again... now i was really really pissed.. so i took all my back up files and replaced the edited ones, that did not work. not i went the the starting menu and clicked uninstall, the thing started but when it gopt to the "removing back up files" part it would not go on(it was not frozen, and this has happend before)

now every time after that i tryed to uninstall it nothing happens when i click on the uninstall button.

i ahve a windows xp if that helps.

i have also try ed the HOWTO:manullay uninstall RTw guid, but in the rgistrty there is not alot of the files that he sais there should be.(for example the creative assembly)

please help me !!!!

EDIT-- ok i got the thing to finally re-install, but there are still problems that might tie in with the last one. so i reinstalled and i installed the patch 1.2 then the greek swords man mod. then i started the game, the smae thing happend, it took me back to the desk top!

any1!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[ŻŻŻŻŻŻ]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[]/===]
|/ŻŻŻŻ/##/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ-------------------/ŻŻŻŻ
`````/##/

[This message has been edited by Centurion brutii (edited 11-20-2005 @ 01:54 PM).]

Replies:
posted 20 November 2005 14:17 EDT (US)     1 / 7  
If you're getting this problem you're either installing the mod incorrectly or it's incompatible with your game. Try uninstalling again, manually deleting all necessary files, and reinstalling just plain 1.0 RTW. See if that will run. If it does, great. Install 1.2. Make sure that will run. If it does, that means the mods are what is causing the problem.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 20 November 2005 14:55 EDT (US)     2 / 7  
thanks, but i don't think that the mod is the porblem, because i have useed it before and it worked fine, i will take your advice though...thanks

`````/##/
posted 20 November 2005 21:25 EDT (US)     3 / 7  

Quote:

i have also try ed the HOWTO:manullay uninstall RTw guid, but in the rgistrty there is not alot of the files that he sais there should be.(for example the creative assembly)

In an uninstall, when checking the registry and/or checking the files, if any or all are already gone, then that is OK. You are supposed to remove them, but if an auto-uninstall removed them already, then that's fine! The objective it rid your system of the registry entries and remove the installed files.

When you finish this AND REBOOT, your system will not know you ever had RTW installed.

Do not take shortcuts in the full manual uninstall. If you don't understand something, ask a friend, or post!

OK, if you are still having problems, I am assuming ...

1. No overclocking
2. Motherboard BIOS and Video Card BIOS is up to date, and properly configured
2. Using original, clean (unscratched) retail CDs to install
3. System has a known stable power supply
4. System is clean & relatively free of dust inside (e.g., no heating/fan problems)

So do this:

1. Disconnect from the Internet and disable Anti-virus protection during install.
2. Remove all sypware and adware.
3. Kill (close) all background programs and unnecessary processes.
4. Made sure no device conflicts in Settings - Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager.
5. Made sure Sound is installed correctly.
6. Uninstall WMP10, then reinstall WMP10; download the WMP10 standalone installer (13 MB) for free from MS here .
7. Install DirectX 9.0c and verify it is working (run DXDiag tests).
8. Do a careful, FULL manual uninstall as described here.
9. Install the game.
10. Update using Patch 1.2 or Patch 1.3.
11. Reconnect to the internet & test the game.

You need to post exactly what you have done with codecs on your system. Did you uninstall WMP10, or did you skip that step? To be thorough, uninstall all codecs (e.g., even K-lite, nemo, etc.). Uninstall WMP10. Then install WMP10. Do not add more codecs to your system until you get RTW past the screen you mentioned.

If the problem persists, look at the C:\....\Data\fmv directory. There should be 2 files, ATVI_Spinning_Logo_640x480.wmv and rome_title.wmv. Double click on one, and see if the video plays properly, the try the other.

If at any point your problem is solved, post it & say what you did.

If your system is still messed up, you will need to run DXDiag.exe from the START - RUN, the run all diagnostics, click Print All Information, then paste the contents of the file (it will be long) into a post so we can see your system configuration.

posted 23 November 2005 19:53 EDT (US)     4 / 7  
ok, this is what i have done, after finall re-installing it again i tested rome total war(vinila) and it worked fine, thien i installed patch 1.2 (i did not check if it was still working though...) and then i installed the Greek Swordsman mod, the same thing happend again. it could possibly be the 1.2 patch, though i highly dought it. i have now done this about 3 times now, every time i nstall the Greek swrods man mod, the game returns to the desk top in the stage where is hase all the rights reserved for all the companies. i dont know what i am doing wrong, i know i did it right once, but for some reson i wont work! (grrrrr!)

( why cant people make mods that do all the stuff in the read me automatically?!?)

`````/##/
posted 24 November 2005 06:28 EDT (US)     5 / 7  

Quote:

ok, this is what i have done, after finall re-installing it again i tested rome total war(vinila) and it worked fine, thien i installed patch 1.2 (i did not check if it was still working though...)

Centurion brutii, you have done a good work. You have methodically isolated the cause of an annoying bug, and posted it so others can learn from it. I don't use that mod, but you might contact its authors and explain what is happening, or point them to this thread.

In an otherwise properly functioning system (e.g., configured properly on a brand new clean install of XP SP2 and with the proper video drivers... not always the 'latest' esp. if its ATI, or the 7x.xx series from nVidia, but rather the most bug free...), then Patch 1.2 is OK. In other words, I agree with you that its the mod, not patch 1.2 .

posted 25 November 2005 21:56 EDT (US)     6 / 7  
so your basically saying that i cannot install the greek swordsman mod?!? b/c i really liked it! and i want it back!

`````/##/
posted 25 November 2005 22:18 EDT (US)     7 / 7  
If RTW works fine on your setup with the base install, but has problems each time the mod is installed, then that says you can't use the mod blindly.

However, if you look into exactly what the mod does (I have not, BTW), then apply it manually & test, perhaps you can find the specific part that is the problem.

Since I don't play with any mods, at least so far, then I personally would just not run the mod. Write the authors, they might have seen the patterns of failure you observe; or maybe someone else will see & post who has used it.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » My game got junked, and now can't reinstall
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames