You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Turning off unit marker arrows - how?
posted 12 December 2005 10:42 EDT (US)   
I have been playing the Total Realism mod where you can turn off the green arrows at the feet of selected units on the battle maps by simply changing one line in the preferences.txt file.

That option doesn't seem to be there in the "vanilla" game.

Anyone know if the annoying "arrows" can be turned off and replaced with a subtler glow as in RTR?

(using a clean installation of RTW which was first patched to 1.2 and then to 1.3 by the installation of BI)

Replies:
posted 12 December 2005 11:05 EDT (US)     1 / 3  
You must edit your preferences.txt file with notepad (but make a back-up copy of the file first!).

1. Close RTW
2. Use Explorer to navigate to the "Rome -Total War" folder (aka directory).
3. Backup preferences.txt (e.g., copy it to another non-RTW folder or My Documents, etc.)
4. Open preferences.txt in notepad (right-click on it will give a fly-out menu)
5. Change the line from:
DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:FALSE
to
DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:TRUE
6. Save the changes
7. Play RTW

posted 12 December 2005 15:08 EDT (US)     2 / 3  
Ah, was afraid that would be the answer.

I have done that but it hasn't made any difference, I must have a corrupted file or something somethere.

Odd because it plays perfectly with no problems and as I said above, changing that option works perfectly in my install of Total Realism.

posted 13 December 2005 19:39 EDT (US)     3 / 3  
On a stock install, I have not seen this fail. It is certainly possible, but I do not know why... assuming you install to a fresh copy of XP SP2, updated, Stock RTW Patch 1.2. So its something, maybe something unlikely, that has stepped in (maybe uninstall remnants in registry, I'm not able to test this problem since I can't create it). Let's see if the impending 1.5 patch will help any.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Turning off unit marker arrows - how?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames