You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How much RAM do i need...
posted 13 December 2005 11:21 EDT (US)   
Hello.I want to ask you a question.I'm playing RTW with medium video settings and large unit scale and it runs smoothly.But i want epic battles when whole armies crush each another .When i select huge unit scale it lags really hard...will it be enough if i buy my self another 512 mb RAM.Now im with 2300Mhz AMD Sempron;Radeon 9550 128mb and 512 mb RAM...
Replies:
posted 13 December 2005 12:03 EDT (US)     1 / 3  
The RAM will probably help, a little. RTW can begin to lag even an FX57, with enough unit on the field at the highest settings. RTW is a CPU-limited game. In your specific case, increasing the RAM will not nelp if your system is already configured optimally (which is a non-trivial process which includes some time and trial-and-error). Almost no one's computer I have ever seen (well over 2,000) has been configured optimally; but more RAM can mask lack of optimizing in many cases.

When you upgrade, do so to at least an AMD 4000+ or better. That said, the Semperon is a relatively weak CPU. The XP and of course the mighty 64 are superior for non-web surfing kind of applications (3D games, Photoshop, MP3 creation, etc.). In the spring, the prices of the AMD 64 4000+ will drop from $323 to probably $250 or less. By summer, dual-core will (hopefully) be cost-effective, and in 2007 dual-core will be important in new Tier-1 gaming releases. So keep your current hardware for now, and don't pour money into it, as much of what you buy you will not be able to optimally use if you plan on upgrading your PC (e.g., new CPU, MB, RAM, GPU) in the next 6 or 9 months.

More RAM will, however, help certain other games more than RTW, like BF2.

posted 13 December 2005 12:15 EDT (US)     2 / 3  
Thank you very much for the advice .So,there aren't much people who can afford adjusting unit scale to huge...?And what is your unit scale :P

[This message has been edited by bonev (edited 12-13-2005 @ 12:18 PM).]

posted 13 December 2005 12:28 EDT (US)     3 / 3  
I play on huge unit sizes, but I lower the graphics settings. More men = more fun.

More RAM will only help RTW when it comes to loading times. I noticed faster loading times for all games, actually, when I upgraded from 512MB to 1GB. I don't think there was improved game performance though, as Wartrain has explained.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » How much RAM do i need...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames