You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I have a question about Defragmenting
posted 13 December 2005 17:12 EDT (US)   
Well I defrag all the time but lately something weird hapens when I defrag. When it starts everything goes well....but I was watching it and the last time I looked at it was like....at 37% I think, then it said that "Defragment is done, some files were not able to be defragmented".........This confuses me, does anyone know why and or a way to fix it?
Replies:
posted 13 December 2005 17:18 EDT (US)     1 / 2  
I dunno. Just don;t defrag.

"The Best defence is a good attack".
But if I don't hold my tongue, it would fall out!-KaiserWinterfelt
posted 13 December 2005 17:58 EDT (US)     2 / 2  
I will do a full defragging HOWTO and info thread in the future, hopefully by Christmas.

For now, I'll just say that it is a reflection of the poor design of Windows (more on that some other time). What happens is that MS "locks" many many files that it uses (more on why in the defrag thread, later). If a file is locked, then the MS OS does not allow any program, inclusing Defrag, to 'touch' it. And defrag needs to not only touch it, but completely copy it, erase the old information, and rewrite it to a new location on the HD.

All the files (which are often fragmented themselves BTW) that are locked (there can be hundreds) not only are not defragmented, they are obstacles to defragmentation, and often will accelerate future fragmentation because they have chunks of themselves all over your hard drive... and these are all 'untouchable'.

1. Open Disk Defragmenter (Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Defragmenter).
2. A drive (volume) must have at least 15% free space for defrag to completely and adequately defragment it (for the XP built-in defragger).
3. Run defragger after installing new software, or saving lots of games.
4. Do not use more than one defrag program on your machine (e.g., don't use OO Defrag, then do an MS Defrag). Ironically, that will often just fragement your machine, or at least waste time and work your HD needlessly.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » I have a question about Defragmenting
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames