You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Official: Q&A about SCREENSHOTS
posted 23 September 2007 19:59 EDT (US)   
THE INDEX (all questions are in chronological order.)
------------------------------------------------------------
How do I take a screen shot?
How do I save the screenshots as JPEGS?
How do I post my screenshots on the forum?
Do I have to save each screen shot individually at a time?
How do I know that the screenshot was taken successfully?
How do I edit my screenshots?
Why are some images links and some images not?
How do I open my pictures to view them?

============================================================

Question:

How do I take a screen shot?

Answer:

On your keyboard there is a button called "Print Screen." Press it when you want to take a screen shot of your gameplay. (or for laptops "prntscrn" or something of the like.)

Question:

How do I save the screenshots as JPEGS?

Answer #1:

Open Windows' Paint program. (go to START/All Programs/Accessories/Paint) When Paint is open, press CTRL+V and the screen shot will be displayed.

(keep in mind that you must have pressed the "print screen" key to take the picture in the first place.)

Now that the screenshot is open in Paint go to File/Save As/JPEG. Viola!

Answer #2 (pertains mostly to Total War games):

If you've heard about "tgas" this is what its all about.

Irfanview will open TGAs and you can save them as Jpegs. Your "tgas" are created after you've pressed the "Print Screen" key. These "tgas" are located in your Medieval 2 Total War folder (LOCAL DISK C/Program Files/Sega/Medieval 2 Total War/tgas)
After you've installed Irfanview, open the tga file save them as "jpegs".

Question:

How do I post my screenshots on the forum?

Answer:

Free websites that will host your pictures is the way to do this.
Imageshack or Photobucket are two free websites to upload your screenshots. (you might need to create an account with the website.)

After you've uploaded your screenshot to either website it will provide you with a "direct link," "thumbnail link," or some sort of link in which to display the screenshot on the forum. (not all link types are supported in RTW Heaven)

Once you've copied the link paste it in your reply message on the forum. Congratulations, you've just posted a screen shot for the world to see!

Question:

Do I have to save each screen shot individually at a time?

Answer:

No. This is the feature of the "tga" folder. You can take multiple screenshots during the game without having to ALT+TAB or Exit the game. When you're ready to gather all the screen shots just go to that "tga" folder and pull them out and follow the directions about how to open and save them as JPEGS.

Question:

How do I know that the screenshot was taken successfully?

Answer:

You'll have to stop the game and check it. Follow the "How do I save the screenshots as JPEGS?" Q&A.

Question:

How do I edit my screenshots?

Answer #1:

In Windows' Paint program you can use it as an editor too. Most people might use this to mark specific parts of the screen shot to show emphasis of detail or to crop the picture to different resolutions (sizes).

Answer #2:

If you have Photoshop you will be able to more detailed editing.

Question:

Why are some images links and some images not?

Answer #1:

When an image is just a link, it will look like this, this or this. (most of the time)

Answer #2:

When an image is not a link and is just displayed it is either a thumbnail like this or a displayed image like this. These are displayed images because they are less than 100k in size. These display images are used with BB CODE style found here.

Question:

How do I open my pictures to view them?

Answer:

Assuming this question is in regards to a program you want to open the picture with...
right click the picture. Go to "OPEN WITH." Go to "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer." Or "browse" your other programs as to whatever program you want to open the picture with.

[This message has been edited by Santos I (edited 10-02-2007 @ 05:51 AM).]

Replies:
posted 25 September 2007 03:00 EDT (US)     1 / 5  
Also, if you have anti-aliasing turned on (in rtw at least) the tgas will come out black. so either have anti-aliasing off or exit the game and copy paste each one.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
posted 25 September 2007 13:24 EDT (US)     2 / 5  
Excellent guide. Stickied.

Note that Photoshop, GIMP and Nero Photosnap Viewer will also view TGAs if you don't have Irfanview, although Irfanview is the best choice for a program just to convert TGAs to JPEGs.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 27 September 2007 14:23 EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Nice. I will add that other info you provided as well.

Cheers.
posted 10 August 2008 12:45 EDT (US)     4 / 5  
I probably shouldn't suggest this without trying it - but xfire seems to have a shortcut key that lets you take and automatically upload screenshots. That could cut down the hassle of taking them, changing to jpg and uploading them.

There's also a facility for taking videos, again I haven't tried that first before suggesting it.
posted 21 August 2008 05:29 EDT (US)     5 / 5  
No problem in suggesting that at all for people who use Xfire.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Official: Q&A about SCREENSHOTS
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames