Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Help installing RAM
posted 10 December 2005 11:30 EDT (US)   
Well not me... my mums friend wants to upgrade his computer by getting more RAM. Its quite an old computer and has Windows 98 on it. He went to PC world, and bought 128MB of 168pin DIMM SDRAM memory.

When he treied to put it in his computer, he found only 2 memory slots. Both with 64Mb's in them. He took out one of them and put in the new 128 RAM.

When he started the ocmputer, it loaded Windows 98, but nothing happened apparently. Nothing would boot up. So he put all the ram back to normal, and it worked fine.

Whats causing it? Does he need a new motherboard n stuff? I don't know much about RAM with Win 98.

Replies:
posted 10 December 2005 12:00 EDT (US)     1 / 6  
Older PCs are hard wired to expect a certain chip in the first slot. Tell him to crack the case and pull out the OTHER 64MB chip, and it ought to work.

Life is full of challenges. You can either step up to them, or step out of the way. The ones who step up, are the ones who will someday rule the world.
posted 10 December 2005 12:26 EDT (US)     2 / 6  

Quote:

Whats causing it

I bet there's a coruppted module on the stick.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 10 December 2005 12:31 EDT (US)     3 / 6  
One question is the RAKM the correct RAM for your pc the same as the one thats in it but more Memory.

If your unsure try http://www.crucial.com

bag of weed - £40
skins - 99p
new muse cd - £6
getting stoned out your head on your night off listening to tunes
PRICELESS
"Well I've already been under and on top of 5 women at this point of my life so I guess it evens out." - DominicusUltimus
posted 10 December 2005 16:29 EDT (US)     4 / 6  
It's not my computer. The guy isn't computer literate either. Crucial is no hel unless you know the motherboard type model number etc. Dont' worry.

I'll just tell himto buy a new computer, he was thinkng about it anyway.

posted 10 December 2005 17:24 EDT (US)     5 / 6  
The problem is with the specific RAM. It is, in part, latency differential. The SPD (the little black chip in the corner, called the Serial Presence Device) will communicate its settings when popped into the MB. However, this does not guarantee the 2 rams will be good housemates... to test the new 128 MB RAM, put it into Socket 0 (the first, or if in doubt, the slot closest to the CPU), then test the system. If it works, then add the 64MB that was in the slot closest to the CPU to be the housemate of the 128 & test. If it works... then you have to test for quite a while to see if any unexplained BSODs (Blue Screen of Deaths) occur (typically due to RAM error). If all is well, then you have a 192 MB Windows 98 machine.

Windows 98 is a good OS, if you run it properly. It should be Win98SE, English. The best thing is to update it with the "Unofficial Win98SE SP2.1", here, after a fresh install (but you can use SP2.1 even with an old install, as long as it is ENGLISH Win98SE).

Its OK to put this sort of question (e.g., hardware advice) in the Tech forum, where it has a good chance of being spotted by both those it can help & those that might be technically inclined to answer.

posted 10 December 2005 20:17 EDT (US)     6 / 6  
always have one hand on the case (ground yourslf) and use the other hand to install ram.

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Help installing RAM
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames