Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Great War Risk
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
posted 17 August 2006 04:14 EDT (US)   

Game Postponed

Attack Phase, 1907

The Year is 1907, and the future of Europe is uncertain. Spain has conquered large tracts of France. Russia and Germany have both expanded, and the Ottoman Empire is at war with two nations.

War has broken out, and this war will be one different from any in history. This war is a World War

Production map (with starting borders)

Nations
Russian Empire - Osmano - 25pp (25.5)
Alliances: Germany, Ottoman Empire
Wars: Austria-Hungary
Victory Points: 5
Naval Points: 0
Generals: Aleksei Brusilov (Zagreb): Fast Moving: Plus one offensive dice, Plus one free move for armies under his command.

German Empire - Shrink - 24pp (24.5)
Alliances: Russia, United Kingdom, Italy
Wars:
Victory Points: 7
Generals: Erich von Falkenhayn (North Sea): "Offensive Attrition: Plus one dice in offense, spawns one division in occupied province at the end of each attack phase"

French Third Republic - Aeneas - 0pp (0)
Alliances: -
Wars: -
Victory Points: 1
Generals:

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland - Jax - 18pp (18.25)
Alliances: Spain, Germany
Wars: Ottoman Empire
Victory Points: 3
Naval Points: 1
Generals: Herbert Kitchener (Province): "Strategic: Plus one offensive dice, 50% chance of surviving a loss"

Austria-Hungary - Dio - 0pp (0)
Alliances: -
Wars: -
Victory Points: 0
Generals:

Ottoman Empire - Johndisp - 15pp (15.5)
Alliances: Russia
Wars: United Kingdom
Victory Points: 8
Generals: Otto Liman von Sanders (Athens): "Profficient Trainer: Plus one dice in defense, spawns one division in the province that the general ends an attack phase in"

Spain - Sassenach - 17pp (17.75)
Alliances: United Kingdom
Wars:
Generals: Patricio Montojo (Barcelona): "Offensive Commander: Plus one offensive dice"

Italy - Steace - 15pp (15)
Alliances: Germany
Wars:
Naval Points: 1
Generals: Armando Diaz (Marseilles): "Offensive Genius: Plus one dice in offense, plus two dice in offense on Italian soil"

Maps
The first map displays the borders of all participating countries in their unique colour (for example, all British controlled land is surrounded in pink), and displays the number of armed forces currently stationed in each province. Neutral armed forces are coloured black.
Within provinces, the larger numbers display the number of land divisions. The smaller number (for example, 12) displays the number of ships in the port of the particular province.
In water districts, ships are displayed as the larger number, with land divisions garrisoned on the ships as the smaller number.
Ships which are currently being built are shown as a third number, in the same way as built ships, but in a much lighter colour.
Ports are shown as blue dots on the coast of a particular province.
The white lines act are short ferry routes - basically bridges.

The Province and Production map displays the name of each and every province, along with the production that province adds to your production point (pp) per turn number, should you own it.
Ports are shown as blue dots on the coast of a particular province.
The white lines act are short ferry routes - basically bridges.

The Units
There are two different units in this game; each have very differing abilities, yet they each cost one production point to build. They are land-based divisions and sea-faring ships. There is a third "enhancement" to units in the shape of Generals.

Divisions
Divisions are the standard land army. These can be built in any province under your control, and are built and ready automatically (you can build and freemove the divisions in the same Deployment phase).
You may free move as many divisions as you want each Deployment/Free Move phase, though a division can only move to one adjacent province. A division which has already moved cannot move again. Divisions may also garrison on ships stationed in a port during this phase, assuming the ships are fully built.

During attack phase, any amount of divisions from any number of provinces may attack adjacent provinces held by enemies (or neutrals). If your attacking divisions defeat the enemy, you gain control of the province along with any (built) ships in port. In battles, attackers have 2 dice whilst defenders have 3 dice.

Once divisions have made an attack, they may not make a second until the next turn.
Provinces which are connected by ferry routes count as adjacent provinces.
At least one division must remain in all conquered territories. Any provinces you begin the game with can be left empty of all troops. The map showing your starting land can be found here.

Ships
Ships are the sea-faring unit. Ships can be built in any province which has a port, in Deployment Phase, though ships take a full year to build. In effect, this means that ships will not be ready for any use until the Deployment Phase after the one in which you build them.
During Free Move/Deployment phase, ships may be moved out of (or into) port OR move up to a distance of one sea territory. Divisions may embark or disembark the ships as long as they are in allied or owned ports at the time. A single ship can hold up to two (2) divisions.

During attack phase, ships may again move up to a distance of one sea territory, providing the territory is empty or occupied by enemy fleets. Ships may not move out of, or into, ports during this phase.
Battles between enemy fleets automatically take place when they are in the same province, regardless of which phase the game is in.

Ships can also launch amphibious strikes. Assuming you have divisions garrisoned on your ships, you can attack an enemy land province, at the port, with the land units on your ships. To do this, your ship must be in the sea area that the port is in, and you may do this even after moving it the one sea area in the same phase beforehand. If your divisions win such an amphibious strike, the divisions are in the province they have gained and the ships are in the port. If they lose, the divisions are dead and the ships remain in the sea territory.

Generals
A player is award a general after you have 3 victory points. Each general is a real historical figure of the period, and each general has his own unique trait(s) which affects his province in a variety of ways.
2nd general = 9 victory points.
3rd general = 18 victory points.
4th general = 30 victory points.
5th general = 45 victory points. (ad infinitum)
Victory points are gained by attacking a province WITH an enemy garrison, and successfully capturing the said province.

Admirals
A player is award an admiral after you have 3 naval points. Each admiral is a real historical figure of the period, and each admiral has his own unique trait(s) which affects his province in a variety of ways.
2nd admiral = 9 naval points.
3rd admiral = 18 naval points.
4th admiral = 30 naval points.
5th admiral = 45 naval points. (ad infinitum)
A naval point is gained when an enemy fleet is successfully attacked and destroyed.

Upon being granted a general or admiral, it is at the players discretion that he be placed. They can be placed in any owned province and can be moved in the same way as divisions. A general does not need to be placed on the map immediately, but none of his abilities can come into play until he is.

Traits are what define a general/admiral and his abilities. One general may increase the number of dice used in a battle, and may also have a chance of retreating upon a defeat. Your general is randomly allocated from a list with all traits pre-set - I won't be making them up as I go along and thus there will be no bias.

Dice
As explained, dice are used in battles. Dice decide battles by comparing the two highest values of your and your opponents roll. The one with the lowest value has a unit killed. The second highest values are then compared... and so on. Equal values are cause no deaths and dice are rethrown.
(attacker v defender)
Divisions v divisions = 2 v 3 dice
Ships v ships = 2 v 2 dice.
Generals can affect the dice in battles as per general traits.

Ferry Routes
Ferry Routes are the white lines on the map (such as that between Corsica and Sardinia) and cause the two provinces connected to count as 'adjacent'; meaning divisions can freely cross them.

Encirclement
In this Risk, you may only use as many production points in a province as are made by that province and any of your provinces which are connected either through allied, neutral, or owned land or sea. At the beginning of the game, all production points may be used in any province. However, for example, should an enemy fleet be in the North Atlantic Ocean, Britain could only use 3 production points in Ireland. This is because the only Irish port is blockaded, and there is no sea connection to Britain. If there is no direct port to port connection between an area and another friendly nation, and there is no land connection between an area and a friendly nation, then that area is encircled.

For example, if Istanbul was captured and there was a hostile fleet in the Adriatic Sea, then Larissa, Thessa and Tirana would be encircled. This is because there is no land connection between the three Balkan provinces and Asia Minor, and there is no port to port connection between the Balkan provinces and any friendly ports. If Russia was neutral to the Ottoman’s and owned Sofia and Bucharest, then they could choose to allow the Ottoman’s to supply Thessa, Tirana and Larissa, as Russia borders the Ottoman Empire at Kars. The Russian player could also conceivably impose a fee for this service too.
I *think* that makes sense, if not contact me via MSN of email me at generalnelson@gmail.com

Trade and Dealings
You can trade or give provinces or pp to any player in return for anything or nothing at all. However, you can only give a player a province if they share a border with that province, or if they connect that province to one of their own via a line of ships in the sea zones between the two.
You can deploy within land you gain in the same Deployment Phase.

If you’re sending production to another nation, there must be a clear sea route from any one of your ports to any one of their ports, or a direct land link through friendly nations. If the production is to pass through a neutral nation, that nation must first give permission, and could conceivably impose a fee for the production to pass through.

Actions
All player moves must be bolded, from deployments to moves to attacks.
Posts with moves in them can not be edited. Any edited posts will be ignored. If you want to change your move, you must make a new post with the ammended moves in. While I will always use the most recent post for deployments and such, it is strongly advised you go back to posts containing old moves and edit them so that the moves are struck out.

Diplomacy
Diplomacy costs. If you do it in Deployment phase, the pp is subtracted from what you can use that same phase. If you do it in Attack Phase, the pp is subtracted from what you can use next Deployment phase.

Alliance
Alliances can be set for no cost, and once in an alliance it is expected you will help your ally. Breaking out of an alliance into peace costs 3pp, and breaking out of an alliance straight into war costs 6pp. You cannot have any troops in your any of your ally's provinces when you break the alliance.

If two of your allies go to war against each other, you are forced to break your alliance and assume peace mode with one of them. In this special circumstance, you need not pay 3pp. Should you go to war with this ex-ally, you must still pay the 3pp cost, however.

Note: You MAY NOT ally an enemy of your ally. If you wish to ally an enemy of an ally, you must break off your alliance with your ally first and incur the 3pp penalty.

War
When at war, nations are actively hostile towards each other and you can attack each other's lands as and when you wish. Allies to both sides in a war will often donate production points or troops to tip balance towards their ally; such acts are encouraged. It costs nothing to sign a peace treaty while in war and return to peace.

Peace
The default stance between most nations, where they are officially neutral to each other and will tend to not aid each other or each other's enemies. Breaking out of peace into war costs 3pp.

As always, if you have any questions to ask, email me at generalnelson@gmail.com, or contact me via MSN (the email in my profile).

Cheers.

Note: I'm taking a benevolent stance in this game, so no exploiting loopholes at the eleventh hour.

Special thanks to Shrink for making the map and most of the rules, and to Sass for his rule suggestions.

Game Notes:

< Jarrod Nelson>
Nelson looks good in his pics - Gaurdian_112
Wow, Nelson's awfully cute... - HP Lovesauce
Thanks for ruining something that I've waited over 6 years for. - Redneck93
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa
THIS SIGNATURE IS A TESTAMENT TO MY VANITY

[This message has been edited by Admiral_Nelson (edited 09-20-2006 @ 05:13 PM).]

Replies:
posted 17 August 2006 04:24 EDT (US)     1 / 477  
Like I said in the other thread, Ian, and John aren't ready, and no one has seen Rod.
posted 17 August 2006 07:37 EDT (US)     2 / 477  
Go ahead and host, Nelson.

I want Turkey!

Seriously. I do.

Life is full of challenges. You can either step up to them, or step out of the way. The ones who step up, are the ones who will someday rule the world.
posted 17 August 2006 08:21 EDT (US)     3 / 477  
Oh, yes, sign-ups are open.

United Kingdom: Jax

Ottoman Empire: Johndisp

Austria-Hungary: Dio

Russia: Osmano

Germany: Shrink

Italy: Steace

Spain:

France: Aeneas

Doitzel has a pick of the last two.

(sorry Doitzel, I forgot to mention that you were GB, and it's my fault.

< Jarrod Nelson>
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa

[This message has been edited by Admiral_Nelson (edited 08-17-2006 @ 10:22 AM).]

posted 17 August 2006 08:23 EDT (US)     4 / 477  
Me as UK!

I'll be back good and proper tomorrow.

Thank chris my sat-web thing started working again

house won this
posted 17 August 2006 08:23 EDT (US)     5 / 477  
Russia
posted 17 August 2006 09:04 EDT (US)     6 / 477  
Germany, please.
posted 17 August 2006 09:21 EDT (US)     7 / 477  
France please.

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
posted 17 August 2006 09:24 EDT (US)     8 / 477  
Austria
posted 17 August 2006 10:02 EDT (US)     9 / 477  
One spot left.

Army Map

You can start working out your deployments now if you want, but there won't be an update till about 4AM Saturday forums times.

I'll put the rules up tomorrow, cheers.

< Jarrod Nelson>
posted 17 August 2006 10:11 EDT (US)     10 / 477  
I'll take Italy

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 17 August 2006 10:24 EDT (US)     11 / 477  

Signups are over

Doitzel has the pick of Spain if he wants, should he pass it up I'll offer it to another player of my choice, should they pass it up I'll give it to the next player who posts after I tell them to.

Cheers.

(updated the Production map incase people are wondering, so if you've already looked at it get this new one in the title post)

< Jarrod Nelson>
posted 17 August 2006 10:41 EDT (US)     12 / 477  
Good luck everyone, and great map Nelson!

––––––––––•(-• ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ •-)•––––––––––
RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [ŻŻŻŻŻ]†λ†[ŻŻŻŻŻ]
ĞPeace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.ğ
~Albert Einstein
posted 17 August 2006 11:02 EDT (US)     13 / 477  
If you need to contact me please use my e-mail (my msn isn't going good)

osmanovski@hotmail.co.uk

posted 17 August 2006 11:24 EDT (US)     14 / 477  
My email (and MSN) is adberndt@cableone.net

"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
posted 17 August 2006 11:51 EDT (US)     15 / 477  
MSN+e-mail: steave435@hotmail.com

posted 17 August 2006 12:16 EDT (US)     16 / 477  
mudo14@gmail.com is both my MSN and email, in case any of you are interested in speaking to Germany.

I will be approaching certain nations myself in the coming days, however.

[This message has been edited by MudokonGod (edited 08-17-2006 @ 12:16 PM).]

posted 17 August 2006 12:41 EDT (US)     17 / 477  
FYI, I will be gone Friday, and Saturday next week.
posted 17 August 2006 14:17 EDT (US)     18 / 477  
Also this satellite connection is too slow to let me open hotmail, so I might not be getting emails until tomorrows.

house won this
posted 17 August 2006 15:38 EDT (US)     19 / 477  
No more spots open? 10 players?

If there is a spot, put me in. If not make me reserver. 10 seems a little low and unfair for people who live in diff timezones and wernt able to join up in the game

posted 17 August 2006 15:41 EDT (US)     20 / 477  
Just so everyone knows, I will be gone over the weekend.

posted 17 August 2006 16:51 EDT (US)     21 / 477  
Aeneas, Ian will only have like 8 in his game, and John 11 in his.
posted 17 August 2006 16:53 EDT (US)     22 / 477  
I'm guessing you mean Max...

posted 17 August 2006 18:12 EDT (US)     23 / 477  
I'll pass.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 17 August 2006 18:26 EDT (US)     24 / 477  
Ill Play!

posted 17 August 2006 18:41 EDT (US)     25 / 477  
Actually Nelson, I know I told you be email that I probably wouldn't be interested in this game, but having seen the players involved I'm quite tempted after all. That's especially the case now that I see that Shrink is playing. If you'd rather reserve it for a genuine RTWHer then fair enough, but if you'd like a genuine devious bastard with a proven track record then I'm your man

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » The Great War Risk
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames