The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Now Reading?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
posted 12 April 2012 23:07 EDT (US)   
So what are you currently in the midst of?

i am currently in the midst of Air Force by Ian Mcphedran. Very awesome book that details the new era in Australian Air power. Very detailed and reasearched with a righting style that keeps you interested. Very Recommended for the Aussies out there(Pitt..)

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Replies:
posted 13 April 2012 00:27 EDT (US)     1 / 284  
Currently reading The First World War by John Keegan. Really good read. My understanding of WWI is much better now, especially how it all started (even though my teachers made it seem like no one could figure it out)

I am also rereading The Phoenicians and the West by Maria Aubet. Just rereading about their trade policies and the influence of religion on their society. Pretty interesting considering the topic it covers.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
posted 13 April 2012 02:25 EDT (US)     2 / 284  
I'm currently finishing up Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. Sort of post-apocalyptic science-fiction/fantasy based on all of Earth's advanced technology failing. I've ready it before, but figured I'd read it again, since he came out with a new book in the series.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 13 April 2012 05:13 EDT (US)     3 / 284  
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

But I won't go to England due to the prescence of scruffy in shottingham. - Scenter102
This is Scruff we are talking about. I can't think of anything I don't see Scruff doing just for the hell of it. - Agrippa 271
The cake was made by Scruffy and it was... a rude shape. - Liam
monkey in a suit on a cycle - Scenter102 describing Scruffy
posted 13 April 2012 19:42 EDT (US)     4 / 284  
TheGreatest Show on Earth by Dawkins.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
posted 13 April 2012 20:46 EDT (US)     5 / 284  
I unlike many of the above am reading fiction, A Clash of Kings and Great Expectations.
posted 08 May 2012 14:08 EDT (US)     6 / 284  
The Impact of Geology on the United States, Russian for Beginners (not the exact title but close enough...), Wealth of Nations, Communist Manifesto.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
posted 08 May 2012 14:35 EDT (US)     7 / 284  
Xenophon's "Kyrou Anabasis" and Plutarch's "The Life of Alexander" from the original and " The Mask of Troy" by David Gibbins...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
posted 08 May 2012 15:06 EDT (US)     8 / 284  
Portuguese Irregular Verbs. Again.
posted 08 May 2012 16:59 EDT (US)     9 / 284  
Just finished the entire song of ice and fire series by George RR Martin in about five weeks!

I will fight for Total War Heaven.

Will You?
posted 08 May 2012 17:26 EDT (US)     10 / 284  
Just finished Gödel, Escher, Bach. Considering it combines my favorite artist (Escher), my favorite composer (Bach), and one of my favorite authors (Lewis Carroll), it obviously was an incredibly enjoyable read, even though the mathematics were so far beyond what my puny brain can understand that I cannot say I truly did it justice.

Henry Kissinger
56th United States Secretary of State — 8th United States National Security Advisor — Official Honorary Harlem Globetrotter since 1976
posted 08 May 2012 19:13 EDT (US)     11 / 284  
Now rereading "A Child of Hitler," great book by the way.
Also reading the same books and Wealth of Nations.
posted 08 May 2012 22:47 EDT (US)     12 / 284  
Twentieth Century China by David Richards and Wendy Hoddinott.. More a textbook but since i have absolutely no idea of modern Chinese history it is pretty good..

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
posted 09 May 2012 06:44 EDT (US)     13 / 284  
Just finished Battle by R.G. Grant. Now reading 10 Best Viking legends Ever by Michael Cox.
posted 10 May 2012 13:17 EDT (US)     14 / 284  
A few days ago I finished the 25th novel, RELENTLESS PURSUIT, in the Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. I am finding his later novels to be a bit redundant and formulaic. However, I will most likely continue them until the end, which is about 3 novels from now.

Currently, I'm taking a break from the Bolitho series and reading THE TEMPLAR, by P.C. Doherty. This book is somewhat disappointing in contrast to his Ancient Egyptian mystery novels positioned in time during the reign of Hatshepsut, Pharaoh Queen of Egypt. The Templar book is so historically oriented that it mostly describes what is going on event-wise rather than allowing the reader to experience it through the characters' point of view. It is the first novel I've read in a long time that addresses the characteristics of cataphracts in battle, which is rather infrequently detailed in contrast to the plethora of reading material about other soldiers of antiquity, expecially Romans. I don't think I'd recommend this novel to you unless you can be patient with his extensive well-researched historical essays which precede short character-driven sequences. I heartily recommend his ancient Egyptian mystery series which begins with the novel THE MASK OF RA.
posted 10 May 2012 16:14 EDT (US)     15 / 284  
Los Borgia by Mario Puzo (the author of The Godfather.) A Spanish translation, obviously, and I must say it's pretty awesome. Very easy to read, and I imagine the quality of the prose is something shared by the original Italian.

And probably the English translation too.

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
posted 18 May 2012 05:23 EDT (US)     16 / 284  
Now reading Beyond Band of Brothers by Major Dick Winters..

Its bloody Awesome..

posted 22 May 2012 08:34 EDT (US)     17 / 284  
Now reading the Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell. The books are very good, but not to be compared to Steven Pressfield's amazing novels.

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
posted 22 May 2012 09:33 EDT (US)     18 / 284  
I'm on the 5th in that series atm. very enjoyable

But I won't go to England due to the prescence of scruffy in shottingham. - Scenter102
This is Scruff we are talking about. I can't think of anything I don't see Scruff doing just for the hell of it. - Agrippa 271
The cake was made by Scruffy and it was... a rude shape. - Liam
monkey in a suit on a cycle - Scenter102 describing Scruffy
posted 22 May 2012 10:32 EDT (US)     19 / 284  
Yes, indeed. Unfotrunately, only the first four books have been published here and the rest could take a lot of time. Perhaps I should order them on the author's website...

posted 22 May 2012 12:01 EDT (US)     20 / 284  
I've just finished The Looking Glass War by John le Carré. Now I'm back to reading The Enlightened Economy: Britain and the Industrial Revolution 1700-1850 by Joel Mokyr.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
posted 22 May 2012 14:11 EDT (US)     21 / 284  
I am reading Wessex to AD 1000 by Barry Cunliffe like a good archaeology undergraduate... but not a very good sixth former in exam-time...

posted 22 May 2012 20:27 EDT (US)     22 / 284  
On the Origin of Species. Almost done with it and am looking to find a book on the Crimean War.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
posted 22 May 2012 20:55 EDT (US)     23 / 284  
Almost done with it and am looking to find a book on the Crimean War.
So you're looking for a book that disproves natural selection then?

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
posted 22 May 2012 21:30 EDT (US)     24 / 284  
If I made that request once I'd have copies of the bible forced on me until the day I die.

No, I'm just interested in wars of the Victorian era and wars that happened during industrialisation.

But I liked your joke.

[This message has been edited by Ecthelion (edited 05-23-2012 @ 02:48 PM).]

posted 23 May 2012 01:05 EDT (US)     25 / 284  
My girlfriend enjoys The Demon Trappers series by Jana Oliver and she just lent me the 3rd book. Quite a good series, most written for girls but the writing style and plot is still quite enjoyable...

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Now Reading?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames