Dark Ages: Roman Revival
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Western Roman Empire
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 6  Next Page »
posted 09 February 2011 10:58 EDT (US)   
Our grand empire has fallen on hard times. Once we ruled Our Sea and the lands beyond, now we can barely keep our capital of Ravenna safe from barbarian intrusion. The last few centuries since Diocletian’s division of the Roman empire have been hard indeed on the West.

We lost Gaul to the Franks, Hispana to the Visigoths, and abandoned Britannia to bring the legions home to defend Italia. A nice try, but it did not work. The Ostrogoths overran Italia and took our ancestral home- Rome- to be one of its cities. Not even the capital of their newfound kingdom, but a common burg in their eyes.

We too would have gone the way of Rome and become a barbarian enclave amidst the ruins of civilization, yet we did not. Valentinian tried to murder Aetius, who together with the Visigoths and Franks had driven the Huns from Gaul and back to the Windswept Plains which spawned them. Yet it was Valentinian and his cronies who perished in that ill-fated attempt, and Aetius who usurped the crown.

Since that time, we Romans have been blessed with a resurgence. The Aetian Dynasty is strong and its generals loyal- they will not turn on our emperor to rip the life out of what is left of the light which once shone across the whole Mediterranean! Aetius also gave heart to our legions, and to our citizens.

Rome lives on in Ravenna, but her destiny is perilous. We Romans need a strong warlord to guide our emperor, and bring us back to the heights from which we have fallen.

Are you that warlord? Assume the reins of power, and lead the Western Roman Empire from the brink of extinction back to its rightful place in the forefront of the World.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Replies:
posted 09 February 2011 14:12 EDT (US)     1 / 258  
Vanilla Unit roster, for reference
Note: this all from memory, I may have missed something

Govt Building:
Peasants
Imperial German Bodyguard

Barracks:
Limitanei
Foederati Infantry
Comitatenses
Plumbatarii
Auxilia Palatina
Comitatenses First Cohort

Stables:
Foederati Cavalry
Sarmatian Auxilia
Scholari
Equites Sagitarii

Archery Range:
Archers
Bucelarii
Ballistae
Repeating Ballistae
Onagers
Heavy Onagers
Carriage Ballistae

Port:
Bireme
Trireme
Quinquireme

PLUS:
Priests
Praeventores
My first suggestion is that we replace the Imperial German Bodyguard with something more Roman looking, and use the German model for the Ostrogothic general.

Second suggestion is that we work out exactly what we want to change with the reforms. And that we reopen the reforms thread, so that we can determine how they are going to work!

Next, as with all factions, we replace the peasants with something more worthy of existence. Vigiles, Urban Cohort, no sé qué. Something you'd actually use as a garrison/police force. Priests can go, probably Praeventores as well.

From there... not sure. Are we maintaining the Constantinian system with the Romans, are we jumping forward and using a Thematic/Tagmatic approach, returning to Caesarian legions, or a mixture thereof, with the reforms changing things from one to the other? Carriage Ballistae: Fun or OP? How strongly influenced are the Romans by their Germanic neighbours, etc?

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
posted 09 February 2011 15:31 EDT (US)     2 / 258  
Replace the German Guard definitely- these Romans would not want anything to do with the Germani that 'stole their empire'.

In the same vein, dump foederati.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
posted 09 February 2011 16:42 EDT (US)     3 / 258  
Sarmatian Auxilia should probably go too. The've only been dead half a century.

posted 09 February 2011 19:15 EDT (US)     4 / 258  
I do like the idea of reverting to the older style traditional legions, because to me it seems the only way the roman empire could have survived is if they could get the populace to become soldier-citizens like they were in the early empire/late republic.
that to me seems the best idea.
posted 09 February 2011 23:10 EDT (US)     5 / 258  
Destroy anything barbarian. If anything, in Italy Roman territory should be completely Roman.

Maybe we should have a lighter, maybe spear-wielding version of the comitatenses as flank guards.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
posted 10 February 2011 00:14 EDT (US)     6 / 258  
Perhaps to simulate the reRomanization of the world (hopefully) the traditional Roman troops that we will give the WRE should be available only after a new building is built that is completely Roman. Perhaps an Arch or monument glorifying the past deeds and thus allow the training of the older style troops?

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
posted 10 February 2011 00:45 EDT (US)     7 / 258  
Govt Building
Peasants Vigiles

Special
Catholic Priest
Praeventores -> Arcani (post-reforms )

Infantry
Foederati Infantry
Limitanei -> Auxilia (but still with javelins)
Plumbatarii ->
Comitatenses -> Legionary Cohort
Auxilia Palatina -> Reskin after reforms?
Comitatenses First Cohort -> Legionary First Cohort

Missiles
Archers -> Archer Auxilia
Bucellarii -> Reskin?

Cavalry
Foederati Cavalry
Sarmatian Auxilia
Scholae Palatinae
Imperial German Bodyguard Imperial Roman Bodyguard ()
Equites Sagittarii

Siege Weapons
Carriage Ballistae
Ballistae
Scorpions
Repeating Balistae
Onagers
Heavy Onagers

Anyway, as you can see there are obvious things to change in the Roman military, but apart from the changes I see necessary at a glance, I've left most of it relatively untouched. Apart from bringing some of the classic units back, I think we'll also need to preserve some of the better BI units, like Plumbatarii, but give them a re-skin. New units would also be nice.

That's all I can think of, for the moment.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 02-10-2011 @ 00:45 AM).]

posted 10 February 2011 01:45 EDT (US)     8 / 258  
Imperial Roman Bodyguard= Praetorians.

posted 10 February 2011 03:45 EDT (US)     9 / 258  
From some mods i liked the fact that you can recruit multiple kind of legions.

And when i hear a reform after the fall of Rome than i think that the roman military gets more focussed towards their enemy.

So for example we divide the world roughly in 4 pieces: north east west and south.
Every side gets their own legionary that is well trained and equiped to fight under cetain conditions.

In my example of South we get a legionary equiped with lorica hamata (i imagine it is not as hot as lorica segmenta) and that get a combat bonus in desert. Call it Legio Meridiem (Southern legion)
North get Lorica segmenta and combat bonus in snow/wood (legio Septentrionalis)
East gets legionaries armed with spears like the ones in BI? (legio orientalis)
And west a bonus on scrub + better pila to fight in gaul/hispania (legio occidentalis)

Ofcourse every legio gets (huge) penalty's outside their own territory. First cohorts can still only be trained in Capital/Italy?

On this way you can have unique militairy campaigns towards every wind direction.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

[This message has been edited by Seneca Monachus (edited 02-10-2011 @ 03:47 AM).]

posted 10 February 2011 04:29 EDT (US)     10 / 258  
Rejoice, folks, for the one and only Seneca is back! So good to see you! And behold the proposal just put forth!

I love the sound of it, and it could very well work - though I really have no idea. If approved by the Mod Leaders, we could be headed for awesomeness indeed.

And perhaps not just the Legionary Cohorts, but also the cavalry and missile departments? Like, the composite bow is a viable weapon choice in the drier East, but not in the damp conditions of Northern Europe?

In essence, the Roman roster could be massively AoR-oriented, from a regional perspective, if it's feasible and generally acceptable.
Imperial Roman Bodyguard= Praetorians.
Oh that's so helpful of you! Are we sure about resurrecting the disbanded Praetorians in the Reforms? If so, might I suggest creating two kinds of them - one better, glitzier version recruitable in Italy, and one rougher, duller version for the overseas - men with an appearance of real fighters. Not just the appearance difference, but also a morale difference perhaps? (think about what spending too much time basking in the comforts of Rome and Italy can do to fighting men)

Or we could make a Praetorian Guard for the Roman General's Bodyguard, but then all the units above Legionary Cohorts from vanilla will be gone.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 02-10-2011 @ 04:44 AM).]

posted 10 February 2011 04:49 EDT (US)     11 / 258  
The Praetorians originated as the guardians of the Praetor- the general, and were the toughest sumbitches in the legions.

Later, in the Imperial period, they were more glamour-boys who, by virtue of being the only troops near the emperor, became sellers of the throne. Then they met an emperor who was disgusted with them and got disbanded.

As the idea of a Roman Revival is returning to what 'worked', and with the antipathy towards the Germanics who caused the massive downfall (in their eyes), the Aetians might resurrect the Praetorian name as their personal guards, but ensure they are the tough sumbitches of the early days and not the political glamour-boys of the later days.

Besides, Praetorian is a nice Roman name for imperial guards.

posted 10 February 2011 08:51 EDT (US)     12 / 258  
Legacy
A very visible legacy of the Western Roman Empire is the Roman Catholic Church. The Church slowly began to replace Roman institutions in the West, even helping to negotiate the safety of Rome during the late 5th century. In many cases the only source of law and civil administration was the local bishop, often himself a former governor like St. Ambrose of Milan and St. Germanus of Auxerre. As Rome was invaded by Germanic tribes, many assimilated, and by the middle of the medieval period (c.9th and 10th centuries) the central, western, and northern parts of Europe had been largely converted by the Roman Catholicism and acknowledged the Pope as the Vicar of Christ.
IIRC, the idea was to start the WRE as Christians, but let them rediscover the worship of the older gods under whom, they led their most glorious days. Now I don't know how the Bishops as Governors thing can be reflected, if at all, in our mod, but I'm guessing they can't be a retinue member because bishops are supposedly tied to the specific shire/city/place he has been named for, e.g. Canterbury, Londonium, York, etc. So perhaps instead of that, we can do law bonuses, and clerics for retinue.

RE: Praetorian Guard

I know, they're just about the perfect choice for the bodyguard... But what will we have for the upper tier heavy infantry in their place? A rougher version of Praetorians, as I have suggested in Post 10?

RE: Keeping Late Roman units

So what do you guys think about keeping units like Plumbatarii, Auxilia Palatina, Bucellarii?

RE: Bringing back Gladiators

I miss the Velite and Samnite Gladiators...

posted 10 February 2011 09:50 EDT (US)     13 / 258  
A general's guard unit would be the equivalent of Praetorian Cavalry- cavalry because the general has to move quickly to troubled spots to rally the folks, and Praetorian because , well, he is the praetor (commander) at the time.

The hardy troops selected to be the elite warriors (recruitable only in Rome and Ravenna) would be similar to Urbans in stats and armor, but can be called Praetorians. Or some other elite name.

In the beginning, the Romans would be stuck with what they had at the real Fall of Rome. The idea is to have the Aetian emperors, as they gain in power and territory (ie, they take Rome to unlock the new tech tree) they revive the sturdy troop types that worked for old Romans (these become available).

The basis then would be the legionary cohort beloved from Vanilla RTW, and the roster filled with what worked from BI- plumbata, heavy cav, Sagitarii, etc. What doesn't work from BI- foederati, etc- will already have been discarded..

posted 10 February 2011 09:57 EDT (US)     14 / 258  
I still don't quite understand how we're doing religion here. We have a maximum of 3 working religions, and the rest are going to be bugged.

And if they're bugged and don't cause unrest... why would you convert at all?

As for Praetorians... dunno. It wouldn't be difficult for them to be remembered as ones deeply involved with, or symbolic of, the collapse of the Empire.

posted 10 February 2011 12:36 EDT (US)     15 / 258  
RE: roman troops
I like the idea of the old legionary cohort etc. reforms mixed with the plumbarii etc.
Perhaps we could have a heavy archer unit & a medium cavalry unit to cover up some of the "gaps" in the roman's army
Also Perhaps we could have a unit like Elite Praetorian bodyguards & then Praetorian legionaries

RE: gladiators
I like the idea of bringing back gladiators providing we have the arenas & Colosseum's that is
posted 11 February 2011 14:58 EDT (US)     16 / 258  
I suggest the Praetorians, foot and horse, should be called Palatinae units. Palatinae legions of course formerly being the Emperors personal, elite armies.

At the start, Rome should probably only be able to call on a few Roman Comitatenses, and a bunch of medium-armed and armoured barbarian auxilia/foederati (whichever you prefer). Before reforming to have Segmentata legions (maybe with darts, not pila). I like the idea of Occidental, Oriental etc legions.

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 11 February 2011 18:17 EDT (US)     17 / 258  
I think that at the beginning, Rome should not have/want any foederati or barbarian auxilaries, because the germans have basically taken over the entire western empire, and that would be a reason for me to hate germans if I was a roman.
posted 11 February 2011 18:31 EDT (US)     18 / 258  
I relly like the idea of special units in the North,South etc.

Can you make it so When you capture Paris (for example) you can begin building Northen troops?
posted 11 February 2011 21:55 EDT (US)     19 / 258  
Praetorians and Palatinae could be two branches of the elite Roman military - one serving as Generals' Bodyguards, the other as elite field infantry. This would make for less repetition and more of an updated feel.

@Rubber_Tooth: Trigger regions, you mean? It's definitely one of the ways to allow training of the four different legionary types.

North - Northern Gaul near the Rhine? (Austrasia?)

East - Asia Minor? Syria? (The WRE would have to go to war with the ERE for those regions, or Sassanids if the ERE can't hold them)

South - Carthage? Sicily?

West - Provence? Narbonne? Tarraco?

posted 12 February 2011 07:53 EDT (US)     20 / 258  
Yes, I mean trigger regions.But I have no clue of what city´s that should be.
posted 12 February 2011 09:56 EDT (US)     21 / 258  
Trigger regions are clumsy. We can either make capturing that region allow ALL settlements to build the unit, irrespective of settlement size, or I THINK we might be able to make it so that capturing the region allows a new building tree which allows recruitment. But losing the region won't disable the unit, only the ability to construct the first building of the tree.

I repeat, I'm not sure about the second. Theoretically it ought to work. But AoR is much more clean.

posted 12 February 2011 10:19 EDT (US)     22 / 258  
Exclusive AoR, then?

posted 12 February 2011 11:45 EDT (US)     23 / 258  
Sounds better to me, although I personally don't like having mainstay units I can't retrain outside of a specific region.

posted 12 February 2011 14:53 EDT (US)     24 / 258  
I think it could be a good idea to have trigger cities but i also do not like having non-re-trainable units in certain cities.
posted 12 February 2011 17:41 EDT (US)     25 / 258  
I think that at the beginning, Rome should not have/want any foederati or barbarian auxilaries, because the germans have basically taken over the entire western empire, and that would be a reason for me to hate germans if I was a roman.
Roman-cultured Gauls and Gallo-Romans formed a large part of the legions since Pompey the Great and Caesar both recruited from Gallo-Romans in the north of Italy. Gauls, Galatians (the legion Deiotariana) and Germans were all used at the Republic and Imperial heights of the army. Though pure barbarians in large numbers would be unthinkable. (Adrianople, anyone?)

I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 13 February 2011 02:22 EDT (US)     26 / 258  
I agree that we should have some of those gallo-romans but maybe if you have a loyalty minimiser (basically more likely to rebel & turn to brigands) on smaller armies with no "real romans" (though they actually could be quite loyal to the roman empire)
But also you do not want huge amounts of the "barbarians" in the roman armyy (yes, Adrianople)
posted 13 February 2011 04:10 EDT (US)     27 / 258  
Rejoice, folks, for the one and only Seneca is back!
Thanks GKA, but i never been away, just logging in when i feel i can contribute, otherwise i just check the thread.

Back on topic:
i think the Romans didn't want foreign troops on key positions in the army anymore. So heavy cavalry, legionary, and maybe the "spear auxilia" (important to hold the flanks against cavalry ofcourse) will all become Roman. Light cavalry and javalins can be real auxilia.

Question: what was the role of archers in the army around the year 500? i read that in the era of vanilla there was a missile duel where both sides killed each others missile before the real clash begun. In the real clash the missiles didn't had a real role. But how is this around 500?

further i have an prosposal for Post-marian troops:

Govt Building:
Peasants

Barracks:
milites
hasta auxilia (spear)
Legio Meridiem (Southern legion, lorica hamata, fast moving, desert bonus, less armour)
legio Septentrionalis (North, lorica segmenta, combat bonus wood and snow, ambushers?, less speed)
legio orientalis (East, spear armed like the ones in BI, lorica hamata, + a bit armor
legio occidentalis (west, bonus on scrub, +attack)
legionary first cohort
Veterani cohort (strike fear, same use as the imperial guard of Napoleon)
Preatorian Cohort
Preatorian Immunes (Elite)

Stables:
Sagittarius equi (horse archers)
Legionary Cavalry (medium sword cavalry)
Equites lanciarii (spear armed heavy/medium cavalry)
Cataphractos equites Romani (light version of Cataphract)
Equites singulares Augusti (generals bodyguard)

Archery Range:
Roman Javalinmen
Roman Archer
Ballistae
Repeating Ballistae (keep?)
Onagers
Heavy Onagers

PLUS:
Cohors gladiatorum (gladiators, warcry?)

AOR?
Germanic javalinmen
Eastern javalinmen
Germanic archer
Eastern archer
Gallica Romano cavalry (chase cavalry)
Greek roman cavalry (chase cavalry)

I think the AOR department can be improved, but what do you think about it?

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools because they have to say something" - Plato
posted 13 February 2011 05:22 EDT (US)     28 / 258  
I like it, at first glance. I'll get back on this after a thorough read-through.

We should name the Eastern Archers as Syrian, though- even if they are available from mroe than just Syria. 'Syrians' were considered the best archers in the Roman army, while Eastern Archers sounds more like Eastern Infantry- farmers with bows. Not impressive, and gives a completely incorrect idea about these fellows.

Also, the Romans could adapt extremely well. I am thinking the trigger city idea might be applicable for all AoR units- once they get access to the AoR site, they can retrain the units anywhere. There were auxilia units on Hadrian's wall that received replacements from the local populace (retrained) and the unit itself brought them up to speed regarding skills and equipment. A unit of Syrian archers sent to Gaul, for example, would receive replacements from wherever they could, and the unit centurions would bring the recruits up to snuff.

Maybe consider this for the Romans, both East and West?

posted 13 February 2011 05:35 EDT (US)     29 / 258  
Very impressive, Seneca - we need more contributions from you

Govt Building:
Peasants Vigiles - urban police.

Barracks:
Milites - spear militia.
hasta Auxilia - kind of like Limitanei.
Legionary First Cohort
Veterani Cohort - fear bonus, same use as the Imperial Guard of Napoleon.
Praetorian Cohort <- repetitive if standing together with the Veterani and the unit below. Either take this or the one below out.
Praetoriani Invictus - uber-Praetorians

"AoR" Legionaries:
Legio Meridiem - southern legionaries, lorica hamata, fast moving, desert bonus, less heavily armoured.
Legio Septentrionalis - northern legionaries, lorica segmenta, combat bonus in woods and snow, ambushers, less speedy.
Legio Orientalis - eastern legionaries, spear-armed like Legio Lanciarii in BI, lorica hamata, medium armour
Legio Occidentalis - western legionaries, bonus on scrub, lorica squamata, stronger attack. (WTH is bonus on scrub - long grass?)

Stables:
Equites Sagittarii - horse archers
Legionary Cavalry - medium sword cavalry
Equites Lanciarii - spear-armed heavy cavalry wearing superb lorica squamata.
Cataphractos equites Romani (light version of Cataphract) <- we won't need those if the Lanciarii are heavy enough - plus it'd be weird to see Cataphracts in WRE armies as well as ERE armies.
Equites Singulares Augusti - General's Bodyguard

Archery Range:
Roman Javalinmen Velites?
Roman Archers - armoured and long-range.
Bucellarii - they worked, didn't they?
Ballistae
Repeating Ballistae - it's up to the community, but I think they do make the Romans look more like an artillery-strong faction.
Onagers
Heavy Onagers

PLUS:
Cohors gladiatorum (gladiators, warcry?) <- These shock troops might be too overpowering if formed into a normal-sized "cohort".

AoR
To he honest, compared with the excellence demonstrated above, this section sucked pretty bad.

First of all, I have absolutely no idea whether the Latin names I have used make any sense whatsoever.

Second of all, I also think we need to keep the popular units actually worth keeping from vanilla BI - units like the moderately armoured but full-of-punch Plumbatarii, the Bucellarii crossbowmen, and the spear bastions that are the Auxilia Palatina.

If we decide not to keep the Praeventores/Arcani around as battlefield units, I suggest we transform them into Retinue members, or rename the Roman's "Spy" agent as Arcanus - if possible, which I doubt.

Finally, please keep in mind that although a Rome powerful once more is obviously the main idea of this mod, we're not exactly going for OP-ness in the roster.

Please discuss!

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 02-13-2011 @ 07:46 PM).]

posted 14 February 2011 23:41 EDT (US)     30 / 258  
If we're going to keep 1st Cohorts, they should still be labelled Occidental, Oriental etc etc. Keeps the RP in order.
Milites - spear militia.
hasta Auxilia - kind of like Limitanei.
Limitanei - crummy spear militia. I'd rather have Limitanei than Auxilia (refers to non-Roman soldiers, which is apparently a no-no) or Milites (refers to soldiers in general).
Praetoriani Invictus - uber-Praetorians
Not OP at all... And Praetorians are reknown for corruption. Palatinae all the way (semi-rhymes.)

posted 15 February 2011 01:50 EDT (US)     31 / 258  
The Praetorians were disbanded after auctioning off the throne. Severus did not like that at all, and removed them. Permanently.

One of his descendants enfranchised every male in the Empire. From that point on, Auxilia were not longer peregrini but full citizens. Auxilia did the tasks the legionaries could not- patrol, archery, cavalry, etc. The legions themselves were changing to a lighter, more mobile force that eventually fell apart.

This mod is about going back to their roots, in a sense. Thus Praetorians, who guarded the praetor (general) would be a Guards unit. The Palatinae were the elite, mobile forces- this they would remain.

posted 16 February 2011 08:54 EDT (US)     32 / 258  
How could I, I must contribute for my people.

Yes, Im back, after a long period of surviving without my RTW, but finally I got it back. Ever since I've been playing it. Most of all my WRE campaign on BI, very hard dif, I still got my skill. It's going well. Anyway back to the revival.

first, were bucellari historically accurate(also if they are, they NEED an animation change, have any of you seen how they shoot?).

I vow to keep the repeating ballistae, and the praeventores(later Arcani).

Is it possible to give the faction leader a dif gaurd, if so, they should have the elite,equites augusti singulares.

Well im dry of ideas atm, maybe I should find my inspiration, time for more BI.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
posted 16 February 2011 16:55 EDT (US)     33 / 258  
There is an animation pack which has better animations for just about everything. We should probably integrate that, on top of the bugfix mod as a base.

Faction leader bodyguards: nope, afraid not. That sort of scripting isn't available in RTW.

posted 16 February 2011 17:55 EDT (US)     34 / 258  
The WRE was almost gone at the start of this campaign.

The last emperors were mostly weak and made things worse rather than better. This might be an eye-opener to the Romans.
(at least according to their stories)the old Romans fought for their country with great courage and they would do everything to maintain their power. Example, during the 1st punic war when rome lost another fleet due to a storm, it didn't have enough money to rebuild the fleet, but rich citizens contributed personal money.

Basically: If the romans are to regain their former glory, they need to drop the corruption and decadency and regain their modesty, courage and ideals. This, and the weak emperors, could be a reason for the romans to revolt against their emperors and rebuild the republic.

It's just an idea, but what do you think of such radical political reforms?

Oh, btw, werent the arcani pagan units? That would make little sense in the now firmly christian west.

[This message has been edited by Thompsoncs (edited 02-16-2011 @ 06:01 PM).]

posted 17 February 2011 02:26 EDT (US)     35 / 258  
We had a radical political reform fifty years ago when Aetius killed Valentinian who was trying to assassinate him, remember? The reason we let 'Rome' survive was that we allowed the Aetians to be strong emperors who instilled the traits you mentioned into the last dregs of the empire.

Democracy and republics were pretty much dead in this period where kings were consolidating power to themselves. It would not be until the Vikings came and showed that local power was needed to protect the people that local lords began gaining power away from the central authority, and even later before the people could get any themselves.

Rome moved from a Republic to a monarchy because, among other things, the old Republican system had broken down with the empire growing so large. That said, there is a case for reverting since the 'Roman' realm is now so small- but then again, what will happen if the Romans are successful in reviving an empire? Another civil war?

Best we leave the emperors in charge.

posted 17 February 2011 02:42 EDT (US)     36 / 258  
The Arcani were never religiously associated, and were instead Imperial agents working for the Empire in Roman Britain. They weren't quite military units fighting in the open field, but were instead more like the spies as individual agents.

Thus they would still make sense in Christianized Rome - and by the way, speaking of Christianity in Rome, I guess a reversion back to their old gods is a no-no?

RE: Auxilia

I was going to propose that we do Limitanei into Auxilia, but of course the "anti-barbarian sentiment" means that is not very wise. My idea was to keep the urban police and the proper support spearmen separated as two different units. We could integrate them into just Milites, though that would blur the line between amateurism and professionalism...

RE: Praetorians & Palatinae

Praetorians as bodyguards, Palatinae as the tag for elite field units.

@Above post: Sorry, but what exactly are you proposing?

posted 17 February 2011 06:13 EDT (US)     37 / 258  
It was a reply to the proposal above mine. As to my reply, it was summed up in this line:
Best we leave the emperors in charge.
Clear?

posted 17 February 2011 10:03 EDT (US)     38 / 258  
No not you, Terikel, I started writing Post 36 before you started writing yours, it seems, and I was referring to Thompsoncs' post.

Let's work on the Pre-Reforms roster, shall we?

posted 17 February 2011 10:29 EDT (US)     39 / 258  
My post essentially came down to this:
Weak emperors, corruption and dramatically reduced size of the WRE could make it possible to return senatorial semi-democracy.

But indeed, I should look here more often Terikel, since indeed the aetian dynasty now rules firmly in the WRE. I'm sorry, just too busy with my own aoe1 mod.

Still, giving more power/influence to the senatorial class could be part of aetius plan to increase stability. It was only after equistrians took over the former senatorial functions that the roman empire really fell in chaos and civil war. Senators usually knew each other and were much fewer in number than equestrians. The emperor could pick some loyal and possibly capable senators himself for the functions, thus reducing chance of corrupt and disloyal generals and governors.

It's ingame effect could be that rebelling roman cities/generals no longer form a shadow empire, but just regular rebels. Thus reducing chance of civil war.
posted 17 February 2011 10:48 EDT (US)     40 / 258  
There is no WRER faction now, so regular rebels is all you'll get. Disloyal generals won't rebel, however, they'll just be easier to bribe.

Off topic: Thompsoncs, what's your mod for AoE?

posted 17 February 2011 11:34 EDT (US)     41 / 258  
Look at http://ageofitalymod.webs.com/ (or click my personal url). It spans the roman kingdom, republic and I might include parts of the imperial stages of rome.

And yes, after taking another look at the map thread I notice the rebel romans are gone. Then perhaps roman generals, who should now fight more for their country and roman glory than personal gain, should be harder to bribe?

[This message has been edited by Thompsoncs (edited 02-17-2011 @ 11:43 AM).]

posted 17 February 2011 12:10 EDT (US)     42 / 258  
I agree with Drakontos's points of disloyalty not being counted towards rebellion but bribing & also Thompsoncs point of more loyalty in most roman generals
Just to make clear were definitely not having anything like the senate in RTW & the council of nobles in M2TW in this
posted 17 February 2011 12:46 EDT (US)     43 / 258  
There will be a faction leader (Imperator Romanum or whatever) a faction heir (Princeps Senatus) and no superfaction like the Senate giving orders.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 02-18-2011 @ 01:52 AM).]

posted 18 February 2011 11:03 EDT (US)     44 / 258  
small question where i was thinking of:
the post-reform legionaries, should they be able to form testudo or shieldwall?

posted 18 February 2011 22:39 EDT (US)     45 / 258  
could that also depend on the region, like with the northern/southern/eastern/western legionaries?
testudo against east if they have more archers, or shield wall for western legionaries who fight mostly infantry or something like that
does that make sense?
or is it possible?
posted 19 February 2011 05:24 EDT (US)     46 / 258  
If they can make a different legionary unit for each direction, of course the different units could be given different abilities like Testudo, but abilities most associated with Germanic peoples like Shield Wall or Schiltron call for more in-depth consideration.

Of course, being a famously adaptive people, and after all those years of battlefield contact with the Germanic tribes, the surviving Romans might have seen the need to learn from the enemy...

Remember that the Legio Orientalis are spear-armed, because they need to be in order to counter quality Sassanid cavalry.

posted 19 February 2011 09:07 EDT (US)     47 / 258  
would it be too weird if they could phalanx?
posted 20 February 2011 09:42 EDT (US)     48 / 258  
Instead of giving the Orientalis pila, they could have a sword and a spear. That way they could maintain their role as heavy infantry, while also being prepared to tackle the Sassanid cavalry.

Balancing might be an issue, however.

posted 20 February 2011 20:26 EDT (US)     49 / 258  
I think that they should have weaker sword and stronger spear, as their primary idea would be countering cavalry
posted 21 February 2011 01:41 EDT (US)     50 / 258  
I disagree.

Roman infantry has always been about defeating other infantry. Given the foe's predominance on cavalry, I can see the Romans adapting their formations to include the spear, but they have always been swordsmen. Remember, these Orientalis legions might end up fighting somewhere else, against someone else.

Don't weaken the swords.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 6  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » The Western Roman Empire
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames