Please login or register

Dark Ages: Roman Revival
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Alans
posted 23 June 2011 07:47 EDT (US)   
Many people think the Scythians were the only peoples of the Windswept Plains. More knowledgeable people know of the Sarmatians, the Roxolani, and the Huns who also lived upon the Ocean of Grass. Students of history and genealogy know of the Alans and the Iazyges, of the Aorsi and the Siraces. It is of the Alans we shall now discuss, those stout, blonde, and tanned warriors of the Ocean of Grass. The true scholars among us know that the Alans are descendants of the Sarmatae, who themselves descend from the ancient Scythians as well as the Amazons of fables and myths.

How can this be, one may ask. Yet the legends agree- three boatloads of Amazon prisoners were to be sold in the slave markets, yet the women overcame the crew and freed themselves. Alas, they were poor sailors, those Amazon warrioresses, and found themselves blown to the Scythian shore. There they agreed to take Scythian husbands, if the Scythian males vowed their new wives would not be forced to follow Scythian custom but their own, and that they move away from the local tribes. The men agreed, and their descendants soon founded the tribe of the Sauromatae beyond the Tanais River.

The Sauromatae became the Sarmatians, and moved into the collapsing Scythian kingdom to finish it off and absorb their people. They too became too large for a single tribe and subdivided as was the custom, becoming the Iazyges, the Aorsi, the Siraces, and the Alans. Thus were the Alans descendants of both the Amazons, the Scythians, and the Sarmatians.

The Alans remained upon the ruins of the Scythians until the coming of the Huns. The Hunnic hammer shattered the Alans, driving some bands west, others south, and smashing some into fine dust that coated the hooves of the horses. And others submitted to the Huns, to serve as the foot soldiers the Huns lacked. Those that fled east or submitted were lost to history, along with those crushed. Those that went west remain known to scholars.

One band, under Goar, crossed the Rhenus to join the Romans in 406 and were settled in Gaul. Another band, under Respendial, came to the aid of the Vandals in their battle against the Franks. Respendial became an ally to the Vandals that day, and traveled with his Vandals through Gaul to Spain, where the Vandals and Alans shared a kingdom. The Alanic king Attaces died in battle with no heir, so the Alans appealed to the Vandal King Gundoric to accept the Alan crown as well. He did, and the two kingdoms merged. This kingdom migrated to North Africa in 429, and the Alans migrated with it. It was finally destroyed by Belisarius in the mid 500’s

Goar and his Alans served the Romans loyally, and were present at the Catalaunian Plains under Aetius. For this they were granted homes and land in Armorica, Orleans, Valentia, and Brittany. Alas, these Alans were too few, and were absorbed into the local population, though some customs remained. Other Alan tribesmen tied themselves to the Suevi and ended up in Spain. And some returned to the high mountains of the Caucasus, where they would plague the Armenians, the emergent Georgians, and remnants of the Huns until the Mongols came and forced all to submit to them. They remain there to this day, those old Alans, though time has changed their name from Alan to Iron, and from iron to Osi. Today we know them as the people of North and South Ossetia.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Replies:
posted 23 June 2011 09:22 EDT (US)     1 / 35  
Heavy cav - medium cav - light cav, footborne variants of the archers and melee warriors, plus a little dose of epicosity in the form of 1.5x movement speed to be implemented via some retinue member, and another dose in form of a Horse Breeder/ Trader thingy?

Nice write btw.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 06-23-2011 @ 09:38 AM).]

posted 23 June 2011 10:15 EDT (US)     2 / 35  
I think a few Armenian units in the roster would be good, although obviously these could easily be represented by a simple AoR.

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
posted 23 June 2011 13:42 EDT (US)     3 / 35  
So is the basis of the Alans their cavalry, with supporting and mediocre foot soldiers and archers?
or am I missing the setup?

I really have nothing to say at this point.
Other than this.
Total War Games Played:
RTW
---|---|---|---
Je parle un peu de français
posted 23 June 2011 21:25 EDT (US)     4 / 35  
They seemed to prefer - quite fiercely - fighting on horseback to fighting on foot. Kind of like the Scythians in vanilla RTW where the best warriors are mounted and in the elite cases - from the noble class.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

posted 24 June 2011 07:35 EDT (US)     5 / 35  
To make it clear: what tribe of the alans are we recreating
the gaulish tribe or the eastern tribe?
Or do we choose to make one bigger tribe with land in gaul and in the east (which makes playing as the Alans quite interesting)?

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools because they have to say something" - Plato
posted 24 June 2011 09:08 EDT (US)     6 / 35  
Or do we choose to make one bigger tribe with land in gaul and in the east (which makes playing as the Alans quite interesting)
This appeals to me very much. Making the Alan start with land in Caucasia, Gaul and Hispania would be very interesting indeed

posted 27 June 2011 09:02 EDT (US)     7 / 35  
Tha Alans in Gaul got swallowed up by the local population, more or less. The Hispanic Alani joined in with the Vandals, merging into them.

That leaves us with the Caucasus Alans.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
posted 28 June 2011 06:56 EDT (US)     8 / 35  
O... kay.

posted 28 June 2011 07:39 EDT (US)     9 / 35  
Since they are a mountain people, perhaps we (you guys) should make some slingers and people like shepherds into the AoR.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
posted 28 June 2011 08:21 EDT (US)     10 / 35  
Alans... Mountain people? Not so sure about that. Although a hillmen AoR selection sounds about right for that region.

posted 02 July 2011 13:58 EDT (US)     11 / 35  
My knowledge of the alans is very limited, but it seems to me that they are more people of the open steppes, than mountain people. But if they controll the caucasus, they will also rule the people living in those mountains. Thus, they can serve as allied units, like the italians in the early roman army.
posted 03 July 2011 00:03 EDT (US)     12 / 35  
^Accetto.

posted 03 July 2011 01:17 EDT (US)     13 / 35  
The Alans of Orleans playeed a critical role holding the center of the line against the attack of the Huns at the battle of Chalons

Lab
posted 03 July 2011 05:43 EDT (US)     14 / 35  
And within three generations of that feat those Alans were absorbed by and into the local population, although they did manage to keep their style of cavalry fighting intact for several hundred years afterward.

The only 'independent' Alans I could find surviving by ca 500 were those in the foothills of the Caucasus.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 07-03-2011 @ 06:03 AM).]

posted 03 July 2011 11:05 EDT (US)     15 / 35  
We could allow the Alan player a chance to revive that heavy infantry branch via exclusive AoRs, or just a merc Alan heavy infantry unit around NW Gaul.

posted 03 July 2011 14:26 EDT (US)     16 / 35  
That will work.

An AoR/merc unit of Alans... interesting.

Only they would have to be cavalry- the research I read about the Alans of Orleans and area mentioned their horsemanship being the cutting edge and their trademark until the Viking Age came into full swing.

posted 03 July 2011 14:42 EDT (US)     17 / 35  
So, if they are state of the art mercs, than they should be not common to find, but are we going to make these mercs the same as a unit in the Alan roster?

Also, I am assuming they were horse archers at one point, should they remain so here, or become jav cav or just shock cav?

Other than this.
Total War Games Played:
RTW
---|---|---|---
posted 03 July 2011 23:04 EDT (US)     18 / 35  
Let's make a regular elite heavy cav unit alongside its dismounted version in the Alan roster, than do a merc variety that's slightly inferior to the regular one and spawn it around Gaul and Spain. Depending on how OP we want the Alans to be, they could be spear-and-sword or spear-and-bow.

I'm guessing they still have HAs, but I'm not sure.

Question: Between the Vandals and the Alans, who probably had the better infantry?

posted 04 July 2011 01:28 EDT (US)     19 / 35  
My guess would be the Vandals- they picked up cavalry from the Alans, who once worked as infantry for the Huns. That was one of the reasons why the Alans hated the Huns so much...

posted 04 July 2011 03:02 EDT (US)     20 / 35  
So it could be said that out of the big throng of steppe migrants, the Vandals boasted some of the best infantry? Better than the Slavs, the Huns, the Alans, the Gepids and almost on par with the foot of the VGs and OGs?

Because I was thinking about giving the Alans an all-round roster of strong cav and infantry, complete with good archer support. Maybe we should just leave the Alan infantry as "reliable" instead of "robust"?

posted 04 July 2011 04:53 EDT (US)     21 / 35  
The Huns had sorry infantry- none, in fact. They were born in the saddle and never left it. Their infantry, when used, were from other peoples they had conquered along the way- the Alan, the Gepids, the Rugi, etc. When the Huns disintegrated after the death of Attila and the Gepid king led a rebellion and kicked the Huns back onto the steppes from whence they came.

When it comes to ranking infantry, my dime goes to:
1) Goths
2) Vandals
3) Gepids
4) Alans
5) Lombards
6) Slavs
7) Bulgars

Cavalry:
1) Goths
2) Alans
3) Lombards
4) Gepids
5) Vandals
6) Bulgars
7) Slavs

I rank the Slavs and Bulgars low due to their history of showing up at their peak when their opponents were in decline. It is hard to figure how they would stack up against the others if they were also in their prime.

posted 04 July 2011 08:33 EDT (US)     22 / 35  
some things i found about the alans. Some things might be outdated.
They fought on horseback, while princes and nobles, and their horses were protected by a hardened leather or a chainmail that covered the whole body, they used their long swords in both hands and they didn't use any shields. On their helmets they often attach deer antlers. The deer had an important role in their mythology, it was their national emblem. The historian Ammianus Marcellinis (330-395)described them as tall in stature and well shaped, slightly blonde hair, frightening even with their moderately grim look and fast with their light weapons.

They gave deceased relatives beautiful, often gold, gifts to the grave and they called their support for the fight. The worship of their finest sword, forged by Kalyben, they brought over to the English.

The Caucasian Alans kingdom stretched in the sixth century on the northern slopes of the Caucasus to the Caspian Sea. The Alans were then become sedentary, there came fortified villages and about five towns. The population doubled in the 6th to the 9th century.

Sarmatians in the Roman army carried their own weapons.(This means also Alans). They were known as good smiths.
source : http://www.marres.nl/sarmaten.htm
wiki:
They became Christians under Byzantine and Georgian influence.
Medieval Alania was an important buffer state during the Byzantine-Arab Wars and Khazar-Arab Wars of the 8th century. And from around 960 the Alans seeked often an aliance with the byzantines for protection against encroachments by northern steppe peoples such as the Pechenegs and Kipchaks.
With this said it might be interesting to give them the choice to become semi-nomadic or not by using the temple system. So a player can choose for a settlement to be nomadic, wich gives the player acces to the cavalry (and missile) of the Alans at the cost of not being able to upgrade the market/farms to the max level. But the player can also choose for a sedentary lifestyle for a settlement. This gives the infantry part and some missile units but the economic buildings can be developed to max.

It might even be interesting to choose a third line where we walk a bit ahaid of history, where the settlement gets under Byzantine influence. Witch gives some romanised units at the cost of law and a greater chance of disloyalty under govermours in that settlement (or something similair)

As stated above the Alans were good smiths, so i think we should at least do something with that.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

[This message has been edited by Seneca Monachus (edited 07-04-2011 @ 08:34 AM).]

posted 04 July 2011 21:52 EDT (US)     23 / 35  
With this said it might be interesting to give them the choice to become semi-nomadic or not by using the temple system. So a player can choose for a settlement to be nomadic, wich gives the player acces to the cavalry (and missile) of the Alans at the cost of not being able to upgrade the market/farms to the max level. But the player can also choose for a sedentary lifestyle for a settlement. This gives the infantry part and some missile units but the economic buildings can be developed to max.
Awesome ideas, Seneca.
It might even be interesting to choose a third line where we walk a bit ahaid of history, where the settlement gets under Byzantine influence. Witch gives some romanised units at the cost of law and a greater chance of disloyalty under govermours in that settlement (or something similair)
A big No to Romanized units for the Alans if you ask me. We have too many Romano-Barbarian factions as it is. It gets really boring, really fast.

To keep the system simple and user-friendly, let's just have two branches, nomadic and sedentary, as Seneca proposed. The Nomadic branch offers higher-tier cavalry and missile units as well as some sort of Cattle Herder/ Trader building chain, but no defences higher than wooden palisades. The Sedentary branch offers the majority of economic buildings in the tech tree, the smithy chain, and the training of higher-tier infantry units and cheap-upkeep garrison units which can garrison away behind more advanced fortifications (maybe even stone walls?). A tiny pop growth bonus is attached to the sedentary Alannic towns but public order is also less stable due to a different level of squalor and unrest. In contrast the nomadic settlements/ settlers should be relatively peaceable.

Nomad settlements get three or four tiers, while their sedentary counterparts get five. This little tweak should result in early Alan armies being more cav-heavy than later ones.

Essentially this would be sort of like the Medieval 2 Castle/ Town development branches, because you would be able to distinguish Alan towns by their size and walls, once they have been assigned to either one side. One last touch would be to make the sedentary 'temple' 30% to 50% or even 100% more expensive than the nomadic one.

posted 05 July 2011 01:48 EDT (US)     24 / 35  
What would be the mechanics of this? How would it work in RTW?

I like the idea, mind you, but am leery of the coding.

posted 05 July 2011 01:58 EDT (US)     25 / 35  
Can't we just tie the construction of certain building chains to the respective nomad/ sedentary buildings? You know, like in vanilla they had the Trader prerequisite for the Armourer and the presence of a Port before building the Neptune temples, etc.

EDIT: I don't know how we would deal with the issue of no religious buildings though, since the mutually exclusive nomad/ sedentary buildings would mean no construction of the temples - unless, we assign one god/dess to each branch.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 07-05-2011 @ 02:01 AM).]

posted 05 July 2011 04:33 EDT (US)     26 / 35  
My modding skills are not great but i realised we have allready something like that in the game: In vanilla we have the temple of Neptune which requires a port. In the export_descr_buildings it says:
building temple_of_naval
{
levels temple_of_naval_shrine temple_of_naval_temple temple_of_naval_large_temple temple_of_naval_awesome_temple temple_of_naval_pantheon
{
temple_of_naval_shrine requires factions { romans_scipii, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port
When i look around in export_descr_buildings of the mod Roma Surrectum II i see also this line:
and not building_present_min_level core_building proconsuls_palace
So it is just placing (not) building_present_min_level with the building behind it.

About religion: the Alans were fully converted to Christianity at that time, so we don't need the temple system for religion.

posted 05 July 2011 23:18 EDT (US)     27 / 35  
Alrighty then!

Anyone care to draw up a draft roster idea?

posted 06 July 2011 03:02 EDT (US)     28 / 35  
I had considered something similar, not as an Alan-specific building, but one which permitted horse archery - and which had the prereq of there being no farms.

Senachus' understanding of the mechanics is correct - just be warned that individual units cannot be governed by this mechanism (although they can be recruited from buildings enabled by it). The exception is requires_port, which isn't bugged like the other.

Slightly off topic, but nonetheless:

Something similar could be used to enable AoR units everywhere, actually. Imperial Recruitment Infrastructure, costs 30000 denarii, 20 turns to build, enables level 5 of the merc barracks tree, which can recruit all of your different mercs from across the empire. Alternatively, individual ones for individual merc rosters.

Would help reduce late game micro, if we can get it to work.

posted 06 July 2011 14:04 EDT (US)     29 / 35  
Nomad camps:
Tier 1: Herdsmen
tier 1: Skirmisher
Tier 2: Alan horse archer
tier 2: Shepherd Slingers
tier 3: Lancer
tier 3: Archers
tier 4: Alan Noble Horse Archer
tier 4: Alan Noble Cav
elite: Deer Riders (Cataphract without shield)

Towns:
tier 1: Peasants
tier 2: Skirmisher
tier 2: Hillmen
tier 3: Shepherd Slingers
tier 3: Steppe spearmen
tier 4: Steppe swordsmen
tier 5: Heavy spearmen
tier 5: Generals bodyguard

Not the most impressive roster (so far), the Huns and Alans share some units, so we have more slots left for some special factions.

posted 06 July 2011 16:12 EDT (US)     30 / 35  
I like it, it seems well split between the nomadic and settled parts.

One thing, General's bodyguard is mounted, right?
and maybe they should have a jav main attack with sword secondary?
idk?

Other than this.
Total War Games Played:
RTW
---|---|---|---
posted 07 July 2011 01:30 EDT (US)     31 / 35  
I see an exclusive split between Nomads (cavalry) and town (infantry). The one has none of the other.

I would suggest that nomads have infantry up to tier 3, while the towns start getting cavalry at tier 3. That way each has the possibility of fielding a combined-arms army, yet is predominantly one or the other instead of player choice as with other factions.

posted 15 July 2011 05:13 EDT (US)     32 / 35  
Nomad camps:
Tier 1: Herdsmen (light cav)
tier 1: Skirmisher
Tier 2: Alan horse archer
tier 2: Shepherd Slingers
tier 3: Archers
tier 4: Alan Noble Horse Archer
elite: Deer Riders (Cataphract without shield)

Towns:
tier 2: Skirmisher
tier 3: Shepherd Slingers
tier 4: Steppe swordsmen
tier 5: Heavy spearmen
tier 5: Generals bodyguard (mounted)

I think some troops at high level tier should still be exclusive to the nomad camp: like the noble horse archer and foot archers. Also i think the elite unit should come only from a town with a nomad camp. This makes it for the player hard to choose in a center of power (didn't had COP an economic bonus?) does the player go for a good economy, or for the elite unit path?

posted 31 July 2011 13:02 EDT (US)     33 / 35  
Anything to add anyone? Perhaps a faction symbol/intro? Or did I miss those?

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
posted 04 August 2011 09:53 EDT (US)     34 / 35  
Surely that can come later in any case? The forum seems to be well and truly dying now, I think we need to get onto something big!

I unfortunately don't have as much time as I'd like to dedicate to this.

posted 06 August 2011 16:30 EDT (US)     35 / 35  
It's break time according to the agenda. That means it is supposed to be a bit quiet.

On top of that, many people are offline on vacation like I was the past ten days...

Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » The Alans
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames