You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hello - MULTIPLAYER CAMPAIGN - Can it be done?
posted 07 November 2004 07:33 EDT (US)   
Hello,

First, I want to greatly thank the modders, awesome stuff so far. I check this site all time looking for the the next great MOD. Your hard work makes a great game even GREATER!

I really enjoy game and so do my friends. BUT we all where VERY VERY sad when they toke out the option to have multiplayer campaign games. If this option for multiplayer games was added this would become the greatest computer game ever made.

Battles for the sake of a battles mean nothing, we need a purpose. Player campaigns against real player would be the DREAM.

I have a hope they will release a expansion that adds 3d Naval Battles and full multiplayer campaigns.

If they don't can IT BE DONE?

Bluemx

Replies:
posted 07 November 2004 10:10 EDT (US)     1 / 14  
This might be good, but wouldn't it get reeely boring, waiting for the other player(s) to get on with their go? But then again it might be good...
posted 08 November 2004 02:49 EDT (US)     2 / 14  
Unfortunately; I really doubt it...
posted 08 November 2004 21:22 EDT (US)     3 / 14  
I think it was estimated that it would take two years of constant playing to actually do a full campaign with players for each civilization.

Quoted from TSD in reference to the suggestion of infinite farms: "It's the econ stupid! Taking out the attention and skill element in building an econ is demolishing half the game!"
Winner of the "Craziest Forumer Award" Jan. 2003
"It's time for the human race to enter the solar system!" - Dan Quayle, former U.S. Vice President on the concept of a manned mission to Mars
Discoverer of the "Invisible Leviathon" Bug
posted 09 November 2004 11:39 EDT (US)     4 / 14  
Really? Wow...
posted 09 November 2004 11:45 EDT (US)     5 / 14  
Well it kinda depends.. if all battles that didn't involve players were autoresolved(IE: When fighting rebels) and the pause function was disabled I'd figure you'd get 8-10 turns an hour. Ofcause, if somebody decides to go grab a soda or walk the dog whille playing everybody would be screwed.

The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies,
to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth,
to see those dear to them bathed in tears,
to to your bosom their wives and daughters bring.
-GENGHIS KHAN
posted 09 November 2004 12:16 EDT (US)     6 / 14  
So you should arrange it with people you know first...
posted 09 November 2004 16:50 EDT (US)     7 / 14  
Or you can play a RPG on the net and fight the battles in the game !!!
posted 10 November 2004 00:12 EDT (US)     8 / 14  
It'd be key to have a set timer for turns and deployment. And a safety feature so that if anyone is afk for a certain ammount of turns the AI automaticly takes up control of his faction.

It's definatly doable(With a patch/expansion) as a short campaign but as a long campaign I have some serious doubts.

The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies,
to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth,
to see those dear to them bathed in tears,
to to your bosom their wives and daughters bring.
-GENGHIS KHAN
posted 10 November 2004 02:29 EDT (US)     9 / 14  
Hmm, that could work, C00lizz, but I suppose you could have a Place Faction Under AI Management button, controlled by the host... Hmm, it could work... Maybe only for a short one though...
posted 11 November 2004 18:35 EDT (US)     10 / 14  
Theres a simple solution to that....take your turns simultaneously, then put a time limit on the turns, say 5mins, then your guaranteed to get at least 12 turns/hour no matter how many players.
posted 13 November 2004 09:04 EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Or you could make a campaign offline with each player taking turns and when it comes to the battles a split screen and one controlled by the mouse and the other by the joystick or keybord or some such?

Join the Citadel: Total War mod. A modification for Rome: Total War.
Citadel: Total War
Saranalos and Custer's game
I love my bowler hat!
posted 13 November 2004 13:29 EDT (US)     12 / 14  
I didn't really understand that, do you mean a MP Battle using one PC?
posted 15 November 2004 16:08 EDT (US)     13 / 14  
Yes just one pc being used.

Join the Citadel: Total War mod. A modification for Rome: Total War.
Citadel: Total War
Saranalos and Custer's game
I love my bowler hat!
posted 15 November 2004 20:52 EDT (US)     14 / 14  
A.k.a. "hotseat." The battles would be pretty much undoable, though; you'd probably have to use autoresolve when the players fight each other. (Hey, at least it'll be equally idiotic for all players.) Alternatively, you could just ally.

-Simetrical

Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Hello - MULTIPLAYER CAMPAIGN - Can it be done?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames