You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: HOWTO: Install Medieval II: Total War patch 1.2 and use the unpacker
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 23 March 2007 19:19 EDT (US)   
HOWTO: Install patch 1.2 and use the unpacker.

This short guide will hopefully help you with installing patch 1.2 for Medieval II Total War and use the unpacker without incident.

Firstly, you will obviously need to download it. You can download it from many sites, a few of which are linked here.

Boomtown

Strategy Informer

Gamershell: English-French-Italian-German-Spanish

Gamershell: Polish

Gamershell: Russian

Gamershell: Czech

Exp.de: German

This Patch is a hefty 650 mb, so if you have dial up, don't even bother unless you want to leave it running overnight. You may find it easier to use a friend's computer which has broadband, but even then it takes 45 mins minimum. And that's on a super fast connection.

Remember, install it to your main M2TW folder, not your data folder. I know it’s obvious, but some do make that mistake.

NOTE: Many people have had problems installing this patch and M2TW not working. I recommend that you uninstall M2TW, go to where you installed it, delete the SEGA folder (or the Medieval 2 Total War folder if you have another game in the SEGA folder) then reinstall. Then install Patch 1.2 straight on top. It has all patch 1.1 has and more. So there is no need to install patch 1.1 again.

Using the unpacker.

NOTE: BACKUP YOUR DATA FOLDER BEFORE YOU USE THE UNPACKER, AS CA ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR GAME FROM USING THIS UNPACKER.

Using the file unpacker that comes with the patch can be a little confusing. First it’s a load of files you don’t often see. Batch files for one. Don't worry, you don't have to use these, the unpacker uses them when running. The only batch file you have to use is unpack_all.bat. Just click on it to run. you will have to type Y to all the questions to use it.

It should take quite a while to run, as there is 7gb to unpack. If it happens in a second then something is wrong.

Also, make sure the unpacker is in tools\unpacker. Otherwise it WILL NOT work. Some regions have the patch installing the unpacker in a different part of your M2TW folder. Admiral_Nelson can testify to that one.

Now, pay close attention to this bit, or your game will crash every time you go into a battle.
- NOTE: Due to a timestamp check, the following unpacked files will
cause the game to crash and must be deleted before the game is
launched:

data\descr_geography_new.txt
data\descr_geography_new.db
They're not kidding, delete them. If you don't, you will get an unspecified error every time you go into a battle and CTD.

The readme gives you all the info you need to get the game to read the files, but there is an easier way:

In your main Medieval 2 Total War folder, open preferences.cfg with notepad and scroll down to the bottom and type this:

[io]
file_first = true

then save and close the file. right click on the icon of preferences.cfg and go to properties. From there check the box next to read only and click apply. This will stop the game changing the file to the original content after one run. This way will not allow you to use show_err to find bugs, you have to run from a batch file for that, but it does allow mods to work.

I hope this guide has been of use to you and will help you in using the unpacker the patch. Any suggestions, criticisms, or improvements please don't hesitate to post.

You may also post bugs you have found with the new patch here as well.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460

[This message has been edited by Marcus Orentius (edited 06-12-2007 @ 07:17 PM).]

Replies:
posted 23 March 2007 19:48 EDT (US)     1 / 89  
posted 23 March 2007 19:59 EDT (US)     2 / 89  
No Clarky, it doesn't I'm afraid.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
posted 29 March 2007 14:27 EDT (US)     3 / 89  
Section added about deleting the two files.

posted 29 March 2007 14:30 EDT (US)     4 / 89  
Excellent thread, Marcus. Stickied.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 29 March 2007 14:37 EDT (US)     5 / 89  
Thanks Yak.

posted 30 March 2007 02:51 EDT (US)     6 / 89  
I've never deleted the two data/descr... files and the game is working fine. I have a question: Will it crash later on?(I've been playing like that for about 3 months now) Thanks.
posted 30 March 2007 04:43 EDT (US)     7 / 89  
Did you use the unpacker or just install the patch? If the former you don't need to delete the files.

Carthage
And beyond, green fields under a swift sunrise
Oh well, thats not so bad, is it?
No, no it's not

Proud joint winner of the M2TWH Saladin award
posted 31 March 2007 20:10 EDT (US)     8 / 89  
Carthage speaks the truth...

posted 02 April 2007 01:30 EDT (US)     9 / 89  
Thanks
posted 02 April 2007 13:17 EDT (US)     10 / 89  
No problem.

posted 03 April 2007 17:18 EDT (US)     11 / 89  
hi av done what u sed and it seemed to work as a get the crash everytime i go into battle lol bt none of the files are visible, i have windows vista could this have anything to do with it. ty
posted 03 April 2007 17:33 EDT (US)     12 / 89  
Shite, I have no experience with Vista whatsoever.

Ok, First I need to ask, what drive did you install it to? i.e. C, D etc.

Next, once you go into the medieval 2/data folder, what can you see? can you see anything? Can you see only five folders? if so, it hasn't worked. If the former, then Vista is probably hiding them.

PS Try and make an effort with your spelling, if English is not your first language I understand, but if it is your first language then you really have no excuse.

[This message has been edited by Marcus Orentius (edited 04-03-2007 @ 05:35 PM).]

posted 03 April 2007 17:41 EDT (US)     13 / 89  
a saved it to the c drive and when a go into data a just see the orignal 5 files. am sry about the spelling its hard some english words are hard to spell. i have also tried going on to different users such as administrator etc

[This message has been edited by thunder_bug (edited 04-03-2007 @ 06:26 PM).]

posted 04 April 2007 11:04 EDT (US)     14 / 89  
In that case the unpacker probably hasn't worked. try running it again and make sure it is in C:\Program files\Medieval 2 Total War\tools\unpacker.

posted 22 April 2007 20:01 EDT (US)     15 / 89  
how do i make a backup file?
posted 23 April 2007 09:33 EDT (US)     16 / 89  
A backup file is just a copy of a file, so just copy it and put it somewhere safe.

Carthage
And beyond, green fields under a swift sunrise
Oh well, thats not so bad, is it?
No, no it's not

Proud joint winner of the M2TWH Saladin award
posted 23 April 2007 18:00 EDT (US)     17 / 89  
ok what i do is i go to control panel then i go to C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War then a lot of folders and stuff come up am i in the right place to make a backup file?
posted 24 April 2007 11:27 EDT (US)     18 / 89  
I recommend making it somewhere outside of your Medieval 2 Total War folder.

posted 24 April 2007 18:37 EDT (US)     19 / 89  
i will but can i just copy and paste all those folders onto my desktop?
posted 24 April 2007 19:24 EDT (US)     20 / 89  
That should work. I think that's what Marcus means.
posted 26 April 2007 21:42 EDT (US)     21 / 89  
im still trying to figure out how to do this what i have done is downloaded the file then i extracted and installed the file to C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War then i cant figure out what to do (i have windows vista)
posted 27 April 2007 03:18 EDT (US)     22 / 89  
to install the patch? run setup.exe... o_O

posted 12 June 2007 02:50 EDT (US)     23 / 89  
Should this be updated to 1.2?
posted 12 June 2007 12:23 EDT (US)     24 / 89  
It will be, once I've worked out the battle editor...

posted 12 June 2007 13:20 EDT (US)     25 / 89  
Cool.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » HOWTO: Install Medieval II: Total War patch 1.2 and use the unpacker
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames