You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Faction selection order
posted 06 May 2008 10:45 EDT (US)   
Everyone who makes a modification for a specific faction will want that faction to appear right at the top of the list in the faction selection screens. After all, you do want people to use the faction and see your changes in action, right?

Impossible? No. It is possible, and on top of that it is extremely easy to do. All you need to change is one single text file. I'll now explain this little bit of editing required to put your favorite faction where it should be: above all others. Here we go.

The file we'll need to change is called descr_sm_factions.txt and you can find it in RTW\data. Before you start editing you should make a backup of it. That way, if something goes wrong (which shouldn't happen) you'll always have the original file to fall back on.

Now open the file. Inside you'll see all factions and relevant information about them, such as which movies and colours to use. Now find the entry of th faction you want to place at the top of the list. Select the entire entry and cut it out (Ctrl + X). Go to the top of the file. Add an enter before the first entry and paste (Ctrl + V) the part you just cut out in there.

That's it. If you start up your game, you'll see that the order of the list has changed, and the faction you chose is now at the top.

Happy modding and may the Gods of Wargaming smile upon your efforts!

Hussarknight
Replies:
posted 06 May 2008 11:48 EDT (US)     1 / 13  
Most excellent piece of detective-work there Hussarknight.

Added to List of Helpful Tools and Tutorials sticky.
posted 06 May 2008 19:53 EDT (US)     2 / 13  
very interesting, heres one for you, how do you choose which faction are default in Custom Battles? (As in are selected from the beginning.)
posted 06 May 2008 20:04 EDT (US)     3 / 13  
Same file:

custom_battle (or similar) no

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
posted 10 May 2008 13:31 EDT (US)     4 / 13  
I found a bug from changing the selection order in ATW. When I put Pontus (Amazonia) up to the top of the list and started a new campaign, it resulted in there being 30% unrest in every starting Amazon city. When it put the entry back to the bottom of the file the unrest is gone.

So watch out for this with other factions as well. It may be because of the new Amazon culture I created, so this may not happen with factions of pre-existing cultures. Or it may happen globally. So look for it.

It appears that as with some other files, the order that the data is read bears some importance.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 05-10-2008 @ 01:32 PM).]

posted 10 May 2008 14:01 EDT (US)     5 / 13  
I've done a quick check in my own Seleucid mod where I put the Seleucids at the top of the list, and no unrest appeared.

Hussarknight
posted 10 May 2008 17:37 EDT (US)     6 / 13  
I went to my copy of vanilla RTW and did some experimenting. I did it with Thrace and found that Tylis had 15% unrest, but not their other city. Then I tried it with Spain and found 15% unrest in all their cities. I tried it with the Seleucids and found 30% unrest in Tarsus, but none in the other cities. I tried it with the Scipii and found no unrest anywhere.

So then I tried moving Thrace to the 4th position, behind all the Roman factions. I still had the 15% unrest in Tylis. Then I tried moving it further down between Germania and the Britons. Same thing. So I moved it further down between the Greek Cities and Numida. Same thing. Finally I tried putting them ahead of Spain, just one slot up from where they normally are. Still the same unrest in Tylis. I put it back to where it normally is between Spain and the Rebels and the unrest is gone.

Can someone else confirm or deny some of these? Maybe it is just my copies of RTW that are ka-flooey.?
posted 10 May 2008 18:04 EDT (US)     7 / 13  
Could be a weird bug in RTW itself.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
posted 07 June 2008 09:01 EDT (US)     8 / 13  
*bump*

I've found another bug which might be caused by changing the faction order. In quick battles the factions get units from other factions, e.g I saw an SPQR army with Egyptian units and an Egyptian army with cataphracts and Macedonian archers.

Not that there's many people using quick battles, but still.

Hussarknight
posted 07 June 2008 13:31 EDT (US)     9 / 13  
I actually went and tried this again in ATW putting Amazonia (Pontus) at the top of the list and the unrest did not appear. Well, not in any Amazonian cities at least. I did see 15% unrest in New Amazonia's (Romans_Scipii) capital of Neo Themiskyra though. It is very odd.
posted 18 March 2021 14:32 EDT (US)     10 / 13  
I'm probably just a little bit too late for this, but certain cities have permanent unrest. Croton for example has it too. I think pretty much every region in Iberia has some. And Tarsus does. There are probably others, but this is enough to make the point
posted 19 March 2021 11:48 EDT (US)     11 / 13  
Do you mean there is unrest as a result of changing faction order, or unrest in general?

The cities you named usually always have unrest because of huge populations. A few rounds of extermination usually ends that problem.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 20 March 2021 20:22 EDT (US)     12 / 13  
No I mean like it doesn't matter what you do, those cities will always have some unrest. It varies from city to city between 5 and 30% if I recall correctly (doesn't include the cities who don't have this unrest obviously). If you conquer them, they will get more unrest, but will always have this bit of unrest present (so it adds to other unrest as well of course).

For example if Croton has 15% unrest permanently and you conquer it and say it would have 30% unrest because it recently changed from one faction to another, it will have 45% unrest. It will then gradually decrease (the 30% of the conquest). In a normal settlement, it would eventually get back to 0%, but in Croton, it would sit at 15%.

The cities he cited were some of those who suffer from this permanent unrest. I don't know each and every one, but these are the ones that I know of:
- Croton
- Tarsus
- Corduba
- Asturica
- Numantia, Osca, Carthago Nova, and Scallabis I think they do but I'm not sure all them do
- Thermiskyra
- Londinium I believe
- Eburacum may have as well
- Alesia I'm pretty sure it does
- The city of the region of the Teutoburg Forest has as well, not quite sure its name though
- Probably a few more barbarian settlements, especially in the steppes
- Maybe some in the far east including Arabia, but I can't recall for sure
- Sparta
posted 21 March 2021 05:55 EDT (US)     13 / 13  
That may well be- historically, those you mentioned were always a pain in the ass to the Empire, even long years after being conquered. It could be something in one of the files demanding a bit of unrest here or there.

Like I wrote earlier, usually a few rounds of extermination or enslavement put an end to the problem for a while.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Faction selection order
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames