Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: im a newbie
posted 03 December 2005 14:15 EDT (US)   
hello all

i been a big fan of the total war games and loved the first two but i have only just got rome total war and i must say im amazed. at first i was not to sure about the new look but it much better after spend a solid week playing it. i really do think the chaps have done a great job on it. i not installed the add on yet as i wanted to play the game how it was released . the 1st two i completed in a short time but there games you can keep playing again, with rome total war i think it will take a very long time as i been playig a week and only have 19 cities and just about managing to hold on to my outer rim ones.

i do i have a questions i would like to ask.

1: i keep losing my armies to enemy diplomats bribing them and my assasins always fail to kill them they always seem to have 10% chance of killing the buggers. whats the best way of training my assasins up or gaining enough xp. also can i xp my diplomats up as i find it hard to get a citie to surrender to me and the senate asks.

thx guys

Replies:
posted 03 December 2005 16:21 EDT (US)     1 / 16  
Diplomats gain experience with negotiations. I suppose succesful negotiations (AI accepts your offer) would be better, but I've seen my diplomats gain experience even after failing negotiations, so I'm not sure.

And if the senate is asking you to make someone a protectorate, don't bother. It's very hard to do and you'd better just wipe them out instead. The mission will be canceled and you suffer no consequences.

Some people claim that keeping a diplomat in your army or city will prevent it from getting bribed. At the very least it will make it harder to bribe (diplomats can be quite expensive to bribe, especially experienced ones).

The best way to train up assassins is to assassinate enemy assassins. Enemy captains and unexperienced diplomats come second. After that it's family members. Family members with high command are much harder to assassinate. Spies are also difficult to assassinate.

If you keep an assassin (or spy) in a city with a market or upgrade of market and he doesn't move in that turn he has a chance to get a monkey. The monkey improves his subterfuge. Temples of fun (Bachus, Dionysus, Oziris, Anahit) can also give them good retinues (dancers and courtisans), but they make your governors drunkards and perverts so watch out.

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
posted 03 December 2005 17:04 EDT (US)     2 / 16  
Welcome to Rome Total War Heaven walkerbow.

I don't know if you have downloaded the most recent patch yet, but amoing other fixes, it makes bribing much more difficult. Without it, It is ridiculously inexpensive, which may be one of the reasons why your men are being bribed so easily.

____/----\----(¯\--(-8-)--/¯)----/----\____
----•(¯\-{/\} /\ ¯][¯ (¯ }{ |- (_) [_ - () |\| |¯-)•----
¯¯¯¯\----/----(_/-(-8-)-\_)----\----/¯¯¯¯
posted 03 December 2005 18:17 EDT (US)     3 / 16  

Quote:

i keep losing my armies to enemy diplomats bribing them

Keeping a Diplomat of your own with an army or city does make it far harder to bribe (100% resistance rate as compared to 0% otherwise in my exparience).

Quote:

assasins always fail to kill them they always seem to have 10% chance of killing the buggers. whats the best way of training my assasins up or gaining enough xp.

First, enemy Assassins, then any Captain or low experience Diplomat. Then high experience Diplomat or Dpy. Family members are extremely hard to assassinatte even for an experienced assassin and faction leaders and heirs even more so. The ideal first mission is a zero influence Diplomat (64% chance of success with a 1 eye Assassin from memory).

Quote:

also can i xp my diplomats up as i find it hard to get a citie to surrender to me and the senate asks.

To gain experience, just keep negotiating with people. Bribing rebels is good too. I play with Bug Fixer, and find that a 10 wreath Diplomat with a +30% bribery bonus is a real asset to your cause. Bribing enemy Diplomats isn't too expensive either, at about 4k denarii early on.

If you want a settlement to surrender (I assume you are talking about making someone a protectorate), then if they have one settlement left, the answer will always be no. For an automatic yes, you can use the save/load bug (save the game and load it again). The AI breaks off sieges and becomes a protectorate really easily amony other things.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 03 December 2005 23:10 EDT (US)     4 / 16  

Quoted from LordDragatus:

And if the senate is asking you to make someone a protectorate, don't bother. It's very hard to do and you'd better just wipe them out instead. The mission will be canceled and you suffer no consequences.

It is hard to make an arbitrary protectorate, and negotiating a protectorate is not easy. This senate mission is only issued if the target faction has less than four settlements and less than five family members -- and the Senate is at war with them.

According to he who wrote the Senate:

Quoted from J Guy Davidson, CA Senate Programmer:

To tempt the faction into submission you need to be at war with them, threaten them quite severely, particularly by massing extensive troops on their borders, blockading their ports and putting the entire faction under pressure. Once that's in place, the faction should be more amenable to subjugation. You may have to be prepared to hand over large swathes of their territory back to them, so consider this if you choose to accept the mission. If the Senate is no longer at war with them, they will expire the mission with no cost to your faction.

Don't forget, the Senate will assign you more unpleasant missions with more dire consequences for failure rather than rewards for success as your popularity with them tumbles. At some point, you may have to just bite the bullet and accept the punishment - you can avoid some of these if you get elected to the office of Quaestor/Censor. Bear in mind that the office of Censor requires the official to have served in lower offices, so if lower officials are killed somehow, say in a freak gardening accident, before they complete their tenure, the pool of candidates to choose from will be reduced.

Unfortunately, protectorates are broken in Patch 1.3, and can actually drain your treasury instead of filling it with tribute. Also, in some situations that Davidson expected the enemy to become a Protectorate ("roll over and let you tickle their tummy..."), they don't.

In Patch 1.2, I have had the Senate offer and I fulfilled (easily did so) Protectorate assignments. However, I don't really like Protectorates, as I can get more money from them if I control them. I've had up to 16 or so provinces as protectorates. Protectorates count towards the 50 to win the long campaign... as long are they stay protected.

Quoted from yakcamkir:

... For an automatic yes, you can use the save/load bug (save the game and load it again). The AI breaks off sieges and becomes a protectorate really easily amony other things.

That bug is fixed in Patch 1.3.

Quoted from walkerbow:

whats the best way of training my assasins up or gaining enough xp.

Another effective way, besides the ones mentioned so far, is to assassinate your own agents, though not your family members. When you assassinate your own agents, you can gain experience... but your assassinated agent is of course joined stovokor (the afterlife).

Exitus acta probat -- Ovid
( The outcome proves the deeds, or 'the end justifies the means' )

posted 04 December 2005 07:41 EDT (US)     5 / 16  
thanks for the help guys im greatful for the info
just one more question if i may

when im defending a breach in the wall or trying to make my center more stronger in a battle line can i overlap my phalanxes , put them together so i have two units in the same space ? does it make my phalanxe harder or make it harder for my troops to fight.

thanks again

posted 04 December 2005 11:01 EDT (US)     6 / 16  
It makes them more effective in melee, but more vulnerable to ranged weapons.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
posted 04 December 2005 13:27 EDT (US)     7 / 16  
cool cheers dude.
posted 05 December 2005 16:52 EDT (US)     8 / 16  
On the overlapping phalanxe thing, I think that that actually reduces the effectiveness of the troops. That is what the advisor says anyhow, that disrupting the phalanxe formation reduces the effectiveness, because you are causing the formation to be spreadout, and the tightness of the formation is one of the major advantages. I would recommend keeping the phalanxes as close to each other as possible without overlapping them. You can always reform them to be deeper, I think by right click-hold and drag, but I don't use that really.
posted 06 December 2005 02:05 EDT (US)     9 / 16  
That's true, but the fact that there are twice as many men in range outweights that. I have tried it.

posted 06 December 2005 04:49 EDT (US)     10 / 16  

Quote:

because you are causing the formation to be spreadout

How does overlapping them cause them to be spreadout?

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
posted 06 December 2005 12:34 EDT (US)     11 / 16  
mmm i tryed overlapping and keeping them to single formations and it hard to tell what is more effective. when i overlap they dont spread out they still keep it tight but there might be less room for them to fight. i was getting owned by the brit chariots . they world break my phalanxe up and the swordman world over run my lines . so i started to overlap my phalanxe with spearman this did seem to help a bit . Vs other foot troops tho i dont know if it is a good tactic or not.
posted 06 December 2005 15:17 EDT (US)     12 / 16  
i good strat i heard was to put a unit of swordmen or a unit of skermishers(preferably) just in front of the phalanx that way you have a line of good melle defence and also (with skermishers) a line which can throw stuff at oncoming enemys.
posted 07 December 2005 19:50 EDT (US)     13 / 16  
If you overlap the Phalanx... e.g., put one unit on the other with men alternating, and the front spears equal, then your unit is much much tougher in frontal combat. It is practically immobile, however. You must keep the proper overlap for maximum efectiveness. The carnage they can unleash against an enemy stupid enough to attack frontally is a sight to behold (be sure to zoom in and watch it ). Watch closely and you will see that most enemies die before even nearing the spear holders.

However... rock paper scissors... your line is not as long, and flanks are harder to defend. Other losses may increase. The formation is subject to missile fire. It takes time to kill the assaulters. And did I forget... its practically immobile.

posted 15 December 2005 00:26 EDT (US)     14 / 16  
I'm a newb 2 ive played MTW for about 2 weeks striaght and i could'nt get enough of it i bought RTW & BI at the same time and i still havent played them cause of Xmas.Why cant i find VI anywere i just might have to buy from ebay.

i need VI because i want to play NTW & ATW, they sound like the best mods ever

posted 15 December 2005 01:06 EDT (US)     15 / 16  
This forum is for R:TW only, go here to talk about M:TW and S:TW.

posted 15 December 2005 09:01 EDT (US)     16 / 16  
[q=]1: i keep losing my armies to enemy diplomats bribing them[/q]
Update: Try again, with Patch 1.5/1.6. Diplomacy has been tweaked.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » im a newbie
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames