Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Spartans vs Urbans
posted 10 December 2005 00:23 EDT (US)   
Some people have said that in the campaign game the Spartans are the best but in custom battles Urbans are the best. I just wanted to say that I beat the Urbans with the Spartans in a custom battle on very hard battle difficulty.
Replies:
posted 10 December 2005 01:07 EDT (US)     1 / 17  
"I just wanted to say that I beat the Urbans with the Spartans in a custom battle on very hard battle difficulty."- quoted form Dionysios

That isn't really anything special as any competant phallanx unit can destroy a elite non-phalanx unit in a direct toe-to-toe battle (the wall of spears would not allow the soldiers to pass)

Yeah, Spartans have a higher attack rating than urbans and can hold back the Urbans with their phallanx formation. Stat wise, Spartans are the best infantry unit and can defeat a urban in combat. However, when you add in the variables of cost, retrainability, and recruitment, you can see that Urban cohorts are far better campaign wise. Due to the fact that Spartans can only be trained in the cities of Sparta and Syracruse, they rarely are used in roles other than the guarding of those two cities and the occasional battle in Greece. Urban Cohorts can be trained anywhere as long as the settlement has Urban Barracks. In closing, Spartans would definitely kick the arse of an Urban Cohort in a direct fight but would not be practical on campaign.

Catholic Pride Forever!!!
Make the Pie Higher-George W. Bush
A beautiful world would be where the last tyrant would be strangled to death by the entrails of the last pedophile...
posted 10 December 2005 02:12 EDT (US)     2 / 17  

Quote:

In closing, Spartans would definitely kick the arse of an Urban Cohort in a direct fight

True, but who would send them head-to-head against Spartans? You should skirmish until you run out of pila, then flank and kill.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 10 December 2005 09:51 EDT (US)     3 / 17  

Quoted from idiot_savant:

the wall of spears would not allow the soldiers to pass

Quoted from RomanKnight:

who would send them head-to-head against Spartans?

Exactly. In RTW, combat resoultion is not an abstract process like say Civ2 (assuming you are not auto resolving): when units meet Phalanx in formation head on, the Phalanx are damaging in individual units with their spears, at a distance (zoom in and see). Urbans can damage at a distance, but by hurling missiles. Urbans also have another strength that was squandered in a head-on match-up with Spartans: the key element of maneuvorability. Spartans sacrifice relative mobility in phalanx formation. By fighting Spartans head on, you fight to the strength of Spartans, and nullify the primary strengths of the Urbans... hence the Spartans should win, all else being equal. So in certain specialized roles, Spartans are the ultimate unit... if the enemy fights them on their terms. However, if you use the Spartan weaknesses against it on a favorable battlefield, even Equites can eventually rout the Spartans.

Idiot_savant hit another key point, too... availability. Roman infantry can be built across the empire, Spartans cannot... this will also translate into numerical superiority, and maintainability in the field.

posted 10 December 2005 14:04 EDT (US)     4 / 17  
If you throw a spartan unit against an urban unit on medium difficulty the urbans will almost always win, no matter which side you are commanding as opposed to the ai.

Patience is a virtue.
posted 10 December 2005 16:26 EDT (US)     5 / 17  
Okay, my bad, sorry guys

I've gotta recheck on the Spartan vs Urban matchup.

Catholic Pride Forever!!!
Make the Pie Higher-George W. Bush
A beautiful world would be where the last tyrant would be strangled to death by the entrails of the last pedophile...

[This message has been edited by idiot_savant (edited 12-10-2005 @ 04:29 PM).]

posted 13 December 2005 20:28 EDT (US)     6 / 17  
Urbans are better in the campaign because you can train them anywhere. However Spartans you can only train in Sparta and Syracause. In a head on fight one unit of Spartans will always beat one unit of Urbans no matter how many of the Urbans' pila are thrown.

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
posted 13 December 2005 20:35 EDT (US)     7 / 17  
I beg to differ.
Everytime I have one urban against one spartan, the urbans win regardless of the number of pila thrown, though obviously the more pilas thrown the bigger the victory.

Patience is a virtue.
posted 13 December 2005 21:05 EDT (US)     8 / 17  
Really? I haven't tried it on 1.3 but Spartans easily defeated Urbans on 1.2. And also what difficulty level are you testing it on? Do any testing on Medium or morale bonuses and penalties are applyed.

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
posted 13 December 2005 21:29 EDT (US)     9 / 17  
It was all on medium.
I tried varius unit sizes, urbans always win, the more units the easier.

Patience is a virtue.
posted 14 December 2005 09:54 EDT (US)     10 / 17  
I give myself full stack Spartans vs full stack Urbans on hard and I win.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 14 December 2005 10:31 EDT (US)     11 / 17  
hmm, agsinst the flawed AI i am sure that a unit of spartans could be beaten by a denari equivalent amount of peasents.
posted 14 December 2005 12:34 EDT (US)     12 / 17  
I disagree with wartrain. Why would it matter if Urban unit has a maneuvarability? A Spartan unit can turn to face the Urbans any way possible and in time as well. So one on one, Spartans will win every time at every level, no matter how many pilum are thrown. And unlike other phalanx and non phalanx unit in the game the Spartans don't easily rout even if attacked in the rear. And what is this nonsense with Equites routing them? First of all, presence of cavalry is not mentioned in the original thread, therefore they are out of place in this argument. Second of all, I dare you to meet me online and try to show me how you can rout my Spartans with your Equites. Even if you had 2 units of Equites vs 1 unit of Spartans, the Spartans will still win.
posted 14 December 2005 12:55 EDT (US)     13 / 17  
These fights are killing me! Every troop should be counted as part of an Army, not as an invidual unit, and not alone. Urbans are faster and they turn better, so they are more manouvearable, so when 3 spartans, 1 stack of archers and 2 greece cavalry fight against 3 urbans, stack of archers and some cavalry fight against each other, Urbans have lot more better chance at winning. IMO urbans are better cause of their manouvereability. Another story is when those are matched against lots of cavalry...

Someone said: In life, there is no thing as just War!
Really it shoud be: In real life, there is no thing as just War!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!

posted 14 December 2005 16:11 EDT (US)     14 / 17  
I would rather shelter behind a group of Spartans than a group of Urbans. They take cavalry charges batter.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 15 December 2005 08:30 EDT (US)     15 / 17  
I love using urbans cos the decimate pretty much any infantry on the game but didnt think they could beat spartans head on. I tried a 1-on-1 battle with both units on 3 gold chev, gold weapon and gold sheild. The computer acknowledged that the spartans were stronger on the blue and red meter and when they engaged the spartans massacred the urbans driving them back. However as this little fight progressed the urbans who were down to only 11 had spread round onto the spartan flank and proceeded to roll down the formation. I set the spartans off phalanx cos there was no enemy infront but they kept facing that way but 11 urbans proceeded to kill 32 spartans. this happened on every level including easy and they way i could beat the urbans was by strching the spartan line out to 1 deep which surely would make them mincemeat against any cav charge. Anyone had similar experince of this type of thing?
posted 15 December 2005 09:37 EDT (US)     16 / 17  
Well that's how urbans beat spartans.

You would have to control the urbans to see proper results becaues the computer makes the urbans run around like crazy and take unnecessary casualties.
On the other hand AI spartans perform pretty well compared to AI urbans.

Patience is a virtue.
posted 15 December 2005 10:25 EDT (US)     17 / 17  
What of First Cohorts

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Spartans vs Urbans
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames