You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hi people, just a brief explanation of my name. [Funny, bread, Clibinarii]
posted 16 December 2005 16:27 EDT (US)   
What the title said: Hi, it's nice to find people like me exist in the world. I'm called The Bread Oven, because I really like the Clibinarii unit and find the name amusing. What are your thoughts on Clibinarii. (This may belong in the Barbarian Invasion section, but I'm not sure).
Replies:
posted 16 December 2005 18:21 EDT (US)     1 / 28  
Hahaha I like bread, particularly raisin. Plus the Romans practically invented ovens, so that fits here.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 16 December 2005 19:33 EDT (US)     2 / 28  
Yes rasin cimmimon bread is heavenly.

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
posted 16 December 2005 21:42 EDT (US)     3 / 28  

Quote:

What are your thoughts on Clibinarii. (This may belong in the Barbarian Invasion section, but I'm not sure).

Well since its here, what exactly is a Clibinarii unit? I'll probably find out when I try BI next month, but you can fill it in for us BI-challenged players. They might be bread-hurlers? Or maybe they are siege units and hurl the ovens themselves...
posted 16 December 2005 23:41 EDT (US)     4 / 28  
I can't say that I get the pun. Bread Oven and Clibinarii?

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
posted 17 December 2005 01:12 EDT (US)     5 / 28  
"what exactly is a Clibinarii unit?"-quoted from Wartrain

To answer Wartrain's question, Clibinarii were an extremely heavily armoured cavalry unit originally used by the Sassanids to great affect against the Later Roman Empire. Forming the backbone of the Sassanian Army, these well equipped men were equal to any Roman Legion of that period, being able to literally run circles around the less mobile Legion. A versatile unit, Clibinarii were also equipped with a bow and quiver along with their usual melee gear(Lance, sword, and mace along with iron plate armor for protection), being able to pelt the enemy with missiles one moment and fight the next. The Romans were so impressed with their effectiveness that they too would field horsemen of that type. Even after Rome's fall, the Byzantine Empire would continue to make good of this cavalry, repelling both European and Eastern Barbarians for several centuries to come.

Catholic Pride Forever!!!
Make the Pie Higher-George W. Bush
A beautiful world would be where the last tyrant would be strangled to death by the entrails of the last pedophile...
posted 17 December 2005 03:46 EDT (US)     6 / 28  
So... what. Their lances were made out of bread?
I'll be getting BI for christmas, so I'll know then

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 17 December 2005 03:47 EDT (US)     7 / 28  
Clibinarii translates as "The Bread Ovens." It was a nickname because of the heat of all the armour they wore.
posted 17 December 2005 08:04 EDT (US)     8 / 28  
The romans did not invent the oven.

Just idag är jag stark!

[This message has been edited by Aemilius (edited 12-17-2005 @ 08:05 AM).]

posted 17 December 2005 14:58 EDT (US)     9 / 28  
I never said they did.
posted 17 December 2005 18:44 EDT (US)     10 / 28  
He never said that you said they did
Or something like that...

posted 18 December 2005 12:17 EDT (US)     11 / 28  
Oh right, never mind then, but you see the rather lame joke then?
posted 19 December 2005 03:40 EDT (US)     12 / 28  
Yeah. But I still prefer my vision of cataphracts with french sticks...

posted 19 December 2005 14:41 EDT (US)     13 / 28  
Cataphracts with French sticks?
posted 19 December 2005 17:51 EDT (US)     14 / 28  
French Sticks = French Fries?
posted 19 December 2005 18:28 EDT (US)     15 / 28  
long french bread maybe. god i lvoe bread, i like tortillas. did italians have tortillas?

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 19 December 2005 18:57 EDT (US)     16 / 28  
This is a rather odd thread. I like to analogize the Clibinarii's weapon to a rolling pin.

And I believe the tortilla is a Mexican thing.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!

[This message has been edited by Ichbinian (edited 12-19-2005 @ 06:58 PM).]

posted 19 December 2005 20:10 EDT (US)     17 / 28  
it is but i figure maybe the romans also had it, for some reason when i see tortilla i think rome, did they have something like a tortilla at least?

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 20 December 2005 11:28 EDT (US)     18 / 28  

Quote:

did they have something like a tortilla at least?

Certainly not the corn variety, as corn wasn't present in the old world then.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
posted 20 December 2005 14:31 EDT (US)     19 / 28  
They had weat things that could have looked like that. When I hear anything, I think rome, so your not alone.

(- ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ -)
RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [¯¯¯¯¯]†λ†[¯¯¯¯¯]
«Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.»
~Albert Einstein
posted 20 December 2005 16:06 EDT (US)     20 / 28  
Crepes could be a descendent of a Roman tortilla style dish perhaps?
posted 20 December 2005 16:08 EDT (US)     21 / 28  
LOL, just reading this thread made me laugh.

Wartrain: Im surprised you didnt know something...You know everything. You should call yourself the Oricle!

Oh yeah, I LOVE bread. ummmmmmmmm. I went to Portugal recently and everyday they have fresh baked bread right out of the oven for breakfast. OH YA, UMMMMMM.

Good joke though. lol

posted 20 December 2005 16:37 EDT (US)     22 / 28  

Quote:

Wartrain: Im surprised you didnt know something...You know everything. You should call yourself the Oricle!

Now I get to LOL! I remember back in the 1970's, where there was something I didn't know. But when I learned it, I knew everything. Except I don't remember what I didn't know, so I guess I don't really know everything! Better to know something about everything than everything about nothing. Or something like that. I think. Therefore, I am... I think. Therefore, I am... I think.

But seriously, foolish is he who fails to learn something new every day - The Oracle.

BTW, nice post of explanation, idiot_savant. Uhmm... I didn't know that, so now I have checked off the box of "Learn something new today"!

posted 20 December 2005 16:40 EDT (US)     23 / 28  
posted 20 December 2005 17:37 EDT (US)     24 / 28  
Lol, this is a funny discussion.

Actually Cliblinarii doens't mean a bread oven, MR BREAD OVEN. In fact, where did you get that translation? Read the Persian history and may be if you are a careful reader you will find the origin. But before you begin I can tell you logically that you are wrong. You said it yourself that Sassanids created them first - so off the top of your head you should know that that name is Sassanid in origin. And just a clue, it has nothing to do with bread or oven for that matter

Idiot Savant, is mostly correct about them, except for he forgets that ERE never really duplicated them. Because ERE Clib units never really adopted a bow. In fact that is the primary difference between those units in the game as well. Not to mention that just training wise Sassanids were far superior heavy cavalry then their Roman immmitations.

Oh, and Wartrain, you should see the Immortal Cliblinarii unit in the game. Talking about pinnacle of heavy cavalry: Simply an unbelievable unit.

posted 21 December 2005 12:26 EDT (US)     25 / 28  
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You are right. A curse on the evil Mark Urban (for those who don't know, a military historian who speaks on some documentaries and sometimes presents on Time Commanders and it was whilst watching this that he said that clibinarii means the bread ovens.)

It is completely untrue. It is a derivative of the Persian word griwbanwar or griva-pana-bara meaning neck-guard wearer.

My apologies to all

*Hangs head in shame*

posted 21 December 2005 12:29 EDT (US)     26 / 28  
Good job!!! You have found the answer. My respect to you for taking time and actually doing the research. That is exactly what it means.

You need not hang your head in shame. You have acted like a man with honor this day. And for that, we commend you!!!

posted 21 December 2005 12:54 EDT (US)     27 / 28  
Hey Antig, do you remember the guy who calls the ERE clibs 'Equites Rolling Pinii'? Now that's a suitable name. :P

BTW Antig, do you know what was difference between the Roman Equites Clibanarii and Equites Catafractarii? I remember reading somewhere that clibs were more heavily armed. Is this true?

And also, were the Roman Equites Clibanarii better equipped/trained than the Sassanid Vassal Clibanarii/Clibanarii Immortals? I doubt they were better than the Immortals, but what about the Clibs provided by the Sassanid fiefs?

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 21 December 2005 13:23 EDT (US)     28 / 28  
Hey Roman, good to see you mate!!!

Quote:

Hey Antig, do you remember the guy who calls the ERE clibs 'Equites Rolling Pinii'? Now that's a suitable name.

lol, That showed how much he knows history, lol.

Quote:

BTW Antig, do you know what was difference between the Roman Equites Clibanarii and Equites Catafractarii? I remember reading somewhere that clibs were more heavily armed. Is this true?

You mean historically or in the game? Roman Cliblinarii were not heavily armed at all. That is why Romans had Catas and Clibs. In fact, they even had heavily armored Horse Archers too. Hence is the answer - Sassanids Cliblinarii was three in one, meaning he was a spearman, bowman and mace/sword wielding up in your face horseman. So, historically, he they were much more heavily armed than Romans Cliblinarii.

In the game, Catas' lack of AP bonus makes them almost useless against Clibs, but almost unstoppable vs barbarian cavalry. That goes for both Romand and Sassanid contingents.

As for the training, well that is a tricky question. There is no doubt that regular Sassanid clibs were much more expereinced fighters. Horsemanship and archery has always been a Persian trait, achieved to perfection. But, being aristocracy, they were simply too arrogant. If you read their histories, there were many instances when those warriors showed up without gear, weapons and armour, were late for drills and stuff. The Romans, lacked experience by far. They were nowhere nearly as good as Sassanids regular Clibs, but their discipline (the old Roman Discipline) was a more than a counter to this lack of experience. If you combine that with their superior infantry, then that often tilted the balance towards the Romans.

NOW, Clib Immortals are so far above and beyond anything in this game/and historically, that it would be a great dishonor to mention them in the same thread, lol.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Hi people, just a brief explanation of my name. [Funny, bread, Clibinarii]
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames