Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: favorite units
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 19 December 2005 18:05 EDT (US)   
I can tell a lot of people have a lot of different oppinions so i was wondering what everyones favorite units are. For me its urban cohort, or triari. Some times i enjoy pikemen though like on the Suleicdide campainge.
Replies:
posted 19 December 2005 18:10 EDT (US)     1 / 48  
I like peasants. They make cheap garrisons, and are extremely cheap to make as well. With experience and some weapon and armour upgrades, they are actually quite formidable.
posted 19 December 2005 18:52 EDT (US)     2 / 48  
I like cataphracts for their extremely strong armor and defense. However their low stamina pisses me off sometimes.

Companions are supposed to be good, but they suck terribly, elsewise they'd be my favorite unit. The charge bonus does not make any difference. Praetorian cavalry can kill much more than companion on charge even though it has a lower charge bonus. Companion Cavalry should be given fast moving, and have excellent stamina to balance them out. Scythian Nobles suck for the same reason. Light lancers are only good because they are cheap. Combat heavy cavalries like praetorians cavalry do alot better in general than charge heavy cavalries. Cataphracts being the only exception since they have high charge and stats, but they tire out really fast making them poor long term fighters. They are also much slower not in terms of initial speed but in sustained running.

Silver Shield Pikemen is my favorite infantry unit, though they suck terribly as well. Hoplites have long spears as well and much better armor, making pikemen completely worthless even with their bonus numbers of men and spear length. In history the sizes of the hoplite's spears were more along the length of the triarii's spear.

Patience is a virtue.
posted 19 December 2005 22:26 EDT (US)     3 / 48  
The actually pisses me off. I had 120 levy pikemen and 65 hoplites took them all out. And militia hoplites are deffinetly the worst.
posted 19 December 2005 23:58 EDT (US)     4 / 48  
Spartans. No contest.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad

[This message has been edited by RomanKnight (edited 12-19-2005 @ 11:58 PM).]

posted 20 December 2005 07:12 EDT (US)     5 / 48  
Depends on context... for early game non-civ specific, it is Cretan Archers. For Roman Civs, early game, its Equites (actually early General bodyguards are my most favorite, but besides that). For early Seleucids, its the monster scythed chariot, then Cretan Archer.
posted 20 December 2005 10:41 EDT (US)     6 / 48  
Armenia's Cataphract Archers are my favorite, with Cataphracts coming in a very close second.

The Roman Archer Auxilia are nifty as well.

posted 20 December 2005 12:09 EDT (US)     7 / 48  
Cata archibalds

Just idag är jag stark!
posted 20 December 2005 12:29 EDT (US)     8 / 48  
Camel Catapracts! Need 2 love 'em!!!

Someone said: In life, there is no thing as just War!
Really it shoud be: In real life, there is no thing as just War!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!

posted 21 December 2005 01:15 EDT (US)     9 / 48  
My favorite unit in the game would definitely have to be the armoured hoplite, as they are hard, tough, and practical units that can be easily trained in the later early- middle stage of the game. These steadfast units usually form the core of my Greek Army, and are easily replaceable in campaign.

Light lancers are among my favorite 1st level cavalry, and when used in number, can obliterate the enemy with their sheer charge bonus.

Though a rare choice, I also greatly enjoy employing Numidian Horsemen in my army, proving to be quite useful in harassing and pressuring the enemy to unwise action.

I've always preferred quanity over quality, since elite and advanced units are nearly impossible to retrain when out in the field for a substantial amount of time.

Catholic Pride Forever!!!
Make the Pie Higher-George W. Bush
A beautiful world would be where the last tyrant would be strangled to death by the entrails of the last pedophile...
posted 21 December 2005 01:43 EDT (US)     10 / 48  
Companion Cavalry. They're the absolute coolest unit, ever.

Aside from them, Sacred Bands and Armoured Hoplites.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 21 December 2005 02:11 EDT (US)     11 / 48  
Alemanni, Franks, and so on for their Spear warband. There are just so many of them, eventhough weak, the sheer number can clcog any escape routes the enemy may have in the tight city areas. When theres no way to escape and your troops pour in around them from all direction, even the generals will make a run for it...If your enemies are the romans or civilised sections.

If you are trying to rush and surround the beserkers, then its a bad choice, u will only give their unit more promotions and you get to watch your warband route like sissies...

posted 21 December 2005 09:46 EDT (US)     12 / 48  
Spartan Hoplites - no explanation required.

Armoured Hoplites - are some of the best units ever but only take 1 turn to train.

Heavy Peltasts - not sure why I like them, they're not actually that good.

Light Lancers - they're fast and maneuverable, though you lose a lot in a charge.

Companion Cavalry - the perfect units for my favourite strategy, the massed charge. Nothing besides a bunch of Phalanxes can beat my massed Companion cavalry charge right into your center.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 21 December 2005 10:26 EDT (US)     13 / 48  
o the elefant guys cant remember the name the ones wat use the elefants to attack n the worst type is the pigs there useless
posted 21 December 2005 11:16 EDT (US)     14 / 48  
I must agree with KO66. The Urban Cohort's kick some but. Great soldiers!

I also like the Sacred Band Cavalry with Carthage. People may say they are not as reliable as the Roman's Legionare Cavalry, but I've had many battles on VH VH where my Sacred Band Cav usually win. Although, I know moral has something to do with it.

I also love Rome's archers, simply awesome!

And I must say that Carthage's Armoured Elephants are super amazing when you have about 5-6 sqauds in one army.

And, and, I cant forget the Egyption Pikemen. Very effective against my Carthage Spearmen, which also are really great!

posted 21 December 2005 14:35 EDT (US)     15 / 48  
lol u like lots of things dont ya
posted 21 December 2005 15:07 EDT (US)     16 / 48  
Mine so far is the charaite(sp?) archers they are fast strong and can attack will fleeing.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!
_.+._
(^\/^\/^)
\@*@*@/
{_____}
posted 21 December 2005 15:17 EDT (US)     17 / 48  
wars24 :: Yes, I love it all. The fact that a game like this exists is the most amazing thing! lol. Except for the Peasants???? Why are they there again? To die. . ??
posted 21 December 2005 18:02 EDT (US)     18 / 48  
I'm a big fan historically, and RTW-ily (yea, i made a new word, so what) of the Spartans, so I must say the Spartan Hoplites

I love to just goto custom battle and put 10 Spartan phalanxes in a box formation with 4 creten archers inside, against a bunch of horses and peasants. It is nowhere near a challenge, but it sure does brighten my day a little every time i do that.

posted 22 December 2005 01:54 EDT (US)     19 / 48  
Spartans.

Companions.

Foresters.

Catas and cata archers.

War/armoured elephants can be fun at times.

posted 22 December 2005 05:58 EDT (US)     20 / 48  
the pesants r there so the crap poor players can have some soldiers
posted 22 December 2005 10:20 EDT (US)     21 / 48  
Spartans - no explanation required

Armoured Elephants - big, deadly, knock down gates

Scythed Chariots - deadly, fast, terrifying to enemies

Foresters - excellent archers, decent close combat in a pinch

Onagers - flying rocks

posted 22 December 2005 12:01 EDT (US)     22 / 48  
To all: In one of my armies that im sending to the Eastern Front of Africa, it has almost 1000 Heavy Armoured Elephants. LOL. It was so funny, I tested this army out on a big Rebel army and placed my elephants in a HUGE line that stretched as far as the eye can see, and it was four rows deep. I just sent them to attack straight up, and it only lasted about 5 seconds. LOL. It was funny and they got SMOKED.

I really like armoured elephants for that purpose.

posted 22 December 2005 12:37 EDT (US)     23 / 48  
Undefeatable :: HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO ASSEMBLE AN ARMY OF ARMOURED ELEPHANTS THAT LARGE! I don't have anywhere near the patience required to do that.
posted 22 December 2005 15:12 EDT (US)     24 / 48  
Around ,hmmmmmmm, dont remember actually. Thats how long it took. lol. No, many many many turns. From different cities though. I just recruited the elephants from many regions of my empire. It took a while but, soon it will pay off. Damn Egyptian's! I might add that it cost me a lot lot lot of money as well! Good thing I sluaghtered every single Roman civilian. lol
posted 22 December 2005 16:19 EDT (US)     25 / 48  
Carthaginian Armoured War Elephants, definitely! I love to hear the tossing and crushing of Greco-Roman bodies as I laugh with glee!

"He said, 'Why should I tarry?' And smiled with tranquil eye; 'In destinies sad or merry, True men can but try.'" Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Lines 562-565)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » favorite units
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames