You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Principe language error??
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03 January 2006 17:40 EDT (US)   
When I'm setting up my Roman armies before a battle, and I click on the units, they say their names sometimes, like when I click on Hastati, they say "Hastati!" and when I click on Velites, they say "Velites" and when I click on Equites, they say "Equites" and when I click Triarii they say "Triarii!" and when I click mercenary Hoplites they say either "Hoplite Mercenaries!" or "Mercenary Hoplites!"

But when I click on Principes, they say "Prinkepes!" as in "Prink-uh-pays"

Is that how their names are pronounced?! Prinkuhpes? Or is this them mispronouncing it, or a slur? Like when they say "Impeh(accent here)-ruh-tor" rather than "Impeh-rah(accent her)-tor" or "StrategOS (accent on O)" rather than "StratEgos (accent on E)" ?!

Replies:
posted 03 January 2006 17:49 EDT (US)     1 / 33  
i noticed it too, im not sure if it was principles where i heard the language error but im pretty sure it was principles. isnt principles prounouced as its spelt?
posted 03 January 2006 17:51 EDT (US)     2 / 33  
It's Principes, not Principles... The singular is Princep or something like that
posted 03 January 2006 18:29 EDT (US)     3 / 33  
C is pronounced K in latin. They used S for a soft C sound.

Prinkipes is how it should be pronounced.

V is pronounced W as well, so:

Veni. Vidi. Vici. = Waynee. Weedee. Weekee.

-+- Non sequiturs and weak puns a speciality -+-
posted 03 January 2006 18:34 EDT (US)     4 / 33  
The only language I've heard where V is pronounced as W is German. And in the game, Velites say "Velites", not "Welites", also "Velite" sounds better than "Welite" which just plain doesn't sound right, so I'm prone to not believe you...

And I'm also prone not to believe that all C's were pronounced as K's... in Italian (direct descendant of Latin), ci is pronounced "chee", and ce is pronounced "cheh" so where does this K sound for all C's in Latin come from?

posted 03 January 2006 18:45 EDT (US)     5 / 33  

Quote:

Is that how their names are pronounced?! Prinkuhpes? Or is this them mispronouncing it, or a slur? Like when they say "Impeh(accent here)-ruh-tor" rather than "Impeh-rah(accent her)-tor" or "StrategOS (accent on O)" rather than "StratEgos (accent on E)" ?!

and

Quote:

noticed it too, im not sure if it was principles where i heard the language error but im pretty sure it was principles. isnt principles prounouced as its spelt?

no, this is NOT a language error, that is how you say it.i am 100% sure of it!

EDIT: No more red. Read my comments in your RTR posts. -- Wartrain

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[ŻŻŻŻŻŻ]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[]/===]
|/ŻŻŻŻ/##/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ-------------------/ŻŻŻŻ
`````/##/

[This message has been edited by Wartrain (edited 01-03-2006 @ 11:45 PM).]

posted 03 January 2006 18:53 EDT (US)     6 / 33  
I highly doubt Imperator is pronounced "Impeh(accent)-ruh-tor" rather than "Impeh-rah(accent)-tor" as Imperatrix sounds better as "Impeh-rah(accent)-tricks" rather than "Impeh(accent)-ruh-tricks"

same with Strat'e'gos

but Prinkuhpays sounds weird

posted 03 January 2006 19:22 EDT (US)     7 / 33  
In latin Princep means Emperor; I am pretty sure that A: they are not emperors or B: princep has more than one meaning
posted 03 January 2006 19:50 EDT (US)     8 / 33  
I know that "Princeps Senatus" is the leader of the Senate

And the singular of Principes is definitely something like Princip or Princep or something

posted 03 January 2006 23:56 EDT (US)     9 / 33  
The 'c' in Latin is ALWAYS pronounced as the 'c' in cat (e.g., 'k'), never as the 'c' in cent (e.g., 's').

Latin For Beginners, Benjamin L. D'Ooge, Page 6.

posted 04 January 2006 03:25 EDT (US)     10 / 33  
The only language I've heard where V is pronounced as W is German. And in the game, Velites say "Velites", not "Welites", also "Velite" sounds better than "Welite" which just plain doesn't sound right, so I'm prone to not believe you...

Believe what you like: it should be 'welites', whatever yor 21st Century ear thinks is 'better'. Wartrain's link confirms the pronounciation of V in the same section as C.

And I'm also prone not to believe that all C's were pronounced as K's... in Italian (direct descendant of Latin), ci is pronounced "chee", and ce is pronounced "cheh" so where does this K sound for all C's in Latin come from?

You're looking at it the wrong way: Latin was changed and bastardised over the years by other influences before it became Italian. It went from 'K', to 'TCH'. Where does 'TCH' come from in particular? I have no idea, but it's an external influence on the Latin root.

posted 04 January 2006 17:18 EDT (US)     11 / 33  
Ok, sorry (yeah I know you're right, I was just being stubborn, plus had some little things [like the Italian pronounciation thing] that I needed to have explained)
posted 04 January 2006 17:57 EDT (US)     12 / 33  
We english say "Prin-seps"

in latin when they dirctly translated they say "prink-uh-pays"

Edit: Spell error

In the time of oppression, one must put aside ones feelings of pain and suffering, and take up the sword and sheild, and cast off the oppressors.

[This message has been edited by Julis Caesar (edited 01-04-2006 @ 05:58 PM).]

posted 04 January 2006 18:25 EDT (US)     13 / 33  

Exactly. CA are sitting on the fence. They've used a hard 'c' in Principes because it's 'correct' yet they've shied away from using 'w' sound for 'v' because 'welites' sounds silly to us.

When we're speaking English we say See-zar for Caesar.

When we're speaking Latin (or tryng to in my case) we say Kye-zar.

The problem is that most folk know about the hard 'c' and so it has become fashionable in recent years to use a 'k' sound in English. Except for names like Caesar and Cicero (Kee-kero). Because they sound too strange or silly to us.

Civile, si ergo fortibusis in ero. Vassis inem causan dux. Gnossis vile demsis trux.
posted 04 January 2006 19:22 EDT (US)     14 / 33  
woops when i wrote principles i meant principe i got mixed up, anyways i thought principe was like prin-say-pay
posted 05 January 2006 00:34 EDT (US)     15 / 33  

Quote:

When we're speaking Latin (or tryng to in my case) we say Kye-zar.

Anyone see any similarity to the word, "Kaiser"... as in the leader of Germany in WWI? We say Kye-zer in English. How is it pronounced in German (anyone fluent)?

So it looks (sounds) to me like Kaiser must have come from the Latin Caesar.

posted 05 January 2006 02:49 EDT (US)     16 / 33  

Quote:

Anyone see any similarity to the word, "Kaiser"... as in the leader of Germany in WWI? We say Kye-zer in English. How is it pronounced in German (anyone fluent)?
So it looks (sounds) to me like Kaiser must have come from the Latin Caesar.

You would be correct there wartrain. You will also notice the similarity in the russian word for king: czar or tsar.

They all have the same root origin - Ceasar.

GM

Stupid questions & their appropriate responses from an Australian tourism web site:

Q: Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

posted 05 January 2006 04:21 EDT (US)     17 / 33  

Quote:

The only language I've heard where V is pronounced as W is German.

no it's not it's pronounced liek vouw

<Add signature here>
posted 05 January 2006 04:52 EDT (US)     18 / 33  
I have an indian (descendant) client who pronounces V as W (eg 'valve' is 'walwe'), but I doubt the language roots are the same. I believe his family is from the Punjab.
posted 05 January 2006 06:14 EDT (US)     19 / 33  
You're right, Caesar's name became a title which also spawned german Kaiser and russian Tsar much later.

English really sucks at explaining phonetics...

Just idag är jag stark!
posted 05 January 2006 10:19 EDT (US)     20 / 33  
This thread now Indexed as:
Latin Pronunciation of Units [Principes, Velites, Caesar]: 1
posted 05 January 2006 13:27 EDT (US)     21 / 33  
C was not pronounced /k/ in Latin, except perhaps in the most archaic stage. That pronunciation was actually a reconstruction used from Carolingian times onwards as a standard way of pronouncing Latin, as used by the Church.

In real Latin (that is, vulgar Latin) C was /k/ before back vowels (a, o, u), and /k^j/ (a palatalized k) in before front vowels (i, e, y [in Greek loans]). This, of course, varied depending on the dialect, but that was the most widespread pronunciation by the first century BC.

The same goes for U (V), which by the first century BC was pronounced /B/, that is, a voiced bilabial fricative as in Spanish "deber". In English, /v/ is a voiced labiodental fricative, so you can see [v] is closer to the real pronunciation than [w].

Hu seo ŝrag gewat, genap under nihthelm, swa heo no wĉre
"As for the comment made by eithyddyswcitwr, could you please post back with better grammar that we can all understand, thankyou."
Winner of Sul's Most Obvious Comment Award
Tsunami StudiosWildfire Games
The Frankish Throne (4.6)
posted 05 January 2006 13:46 EDT (US)     22 / 33  

Very informative Sukkit.

As an aside, how is it we know how Latin was pronounced at any given stage. I've never studied linguistics but how does one determine this sort of thing?

Civile, si ergo fortibusis in ero. Vassis inem causan dux. Gnossis vile demsis trux.
posted 05 January 2006 17:47 EDT (US)     23 / 33  
Just a correction: the "reconstructed" classical pronunciation was not used by the Church (they pronounced C as /tS/ [ch as in "church"] before front vowels, like in modern Italian), but by the scholars.

There are several ways to determine the approximate pronunciation of vulgar Latin:
- Phonological and philological writings by contemporary authors, who sometimes note what the folk (including the cultivated writers) pronounced, in opposition to the spelling and grammatical habits of the classical authors.
- Comparative linguistics. Spanish has mes, French mois, Italian mese, but Latin had mênsis (cf. the related English word moon). If the Romance languages have dropped the -n- in such a regular way, it seems reasonable to assume that phenomenon occurred in Vulgar Latin already.
- Spelling mistakes found in inscriptions everywhere (graffitti on the walls, inscriptions on tombs, etc).
- Adaptation of foreign loan words.

Hu seo ŝrag gewat, genap under nihthelm, swa heo no wĉre
"As for the comment made by eithyddyswcitwr, could you please post back with better grammar that we can all understand, thankyou."
Winner of Sul's Most Obvious Comment Award
Tsunami StudiosWildfire Games
The Frankish Throne (4.6)
posted 05 January 2006 18:38 EDT (US)     24 / 33  
Thank you again. The use of graffiti seems especially ingenious.

posted 05 January 2006 19:17 EDT (US)     25 / 33  
actually V is pronounced as W in Latin; although I think you may have already mentioned this... if I am beating a dead horse, just ignore me..
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Principe language error??
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames