Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Max soldiers on battlefield [unlimited]
posted 06 January 2006 17:06 EDT (US)   
I saw this in prefrences and wondered if we could go over the present limit for maximum people on the battlefied. I think it was 60,000.

UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
Replies:
posted 06 January 2006 17:17 EDT (US)     1 / 21  
The problem I have is whenever I go over about 600 troops, a note pops up saying it might make degraded performance or something. And when I actually play a battle with over 600 troops or so, Everything is VERY slow. Annoying.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
posted 06 January 2006 17:35 EDT (US)     2 / 21  
600?? Ouch. Whats your system spec?
posted 06 January 2006 17:37 EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Actually, it's 840 (I just checked). I have I nice, brand new windows xp. I'm stumped.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
posted 06 January 2006 17:56 EDT (US)     4 / 21  
thats not too many for a brand new computer..mines a year old bad oem and it can handle 8k fine..whats your graphics card?

"O! ye that love mankind!Ye that dare oppose not only tyranny but the tyrant, stand forth! Every spot of the Old World is overrun with oppression. Freedom hath been hunted round the globe. Asia and Africa have long expelled her. Europe regards her like a stranger and England hath given her warning to depart. O! receive the fugitive and
prepare intime an asylum for mankind."- Thomas Paine
what's the opposite of not sucking?"- Barbara Walters
"Yo Blair, how are you doin’?"-George W. Bush

[This message has been edited by nice dictator (edited 01-06-2006 @ 05:56 PM).]

posted 06 January 2006 18:02 EDT (US)     5 / 21  
no clue. any way to find out?

posted 06 January 2006 19:36 EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Type in "dxdiag.txt" in your "run" option in the start menu. Browse the tabs and pages until you find your graphics card.

St Jimmy
Angel face and a taste for suicidal
posted 06 January 2006 19:46 EDT (US)     7 / 21  
also try the device manager from the control panel->system->hardware
posted 06 January 2006 19:54 EDT (US)     8 / 21  
12,000 !!! last time i checked at least....

But I have a beast so....

[This message has been edited by MaximusDecimus (edited 01-06-2006 @ 07:54 PM).]

posted 06 January 2006 20:05 EDT (US)     9 / 21  
[quote/]Type in "dxdiag.txt" in your "run" option in the start menu. Browse the tabs and pages until you find your graphics card. [/quote]
My computer said Windows can't run this program, blablabla.

[This message has been edited by TotalWarFanatic (edited 01-06-2006 @ 08:06 PM).]

posted 06 January 2006 20:19 EDT (US)     10 / 21  
My bad.
Just "dxdiag".

The grahpics card should be under "display".

St Jimmy
Angel face and a taste for suicidal

[This message has been edited by Jonathon Clark (edited 01-06-2006 @ 08:20 PM).]

posted 07 January 2006 15:24 EDT (US)     11 / 21  
hmmm, my comp says that the game will start runnig slow around 2500 dudes, but i have often gone over this and it still works fine.

im really interseed in this unlimited prefrence thing, what happens when you change it to true?? cause i would like to make the battles how they were in the roman timesd( like 50,000 people on battal feile)

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[ŻŻŻŻŻŻ]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[]/===]
|/ŻŻŻŻ/##/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ-------------------/ŻŻŻŻ
`````/##/
posted 07 January 2006 19:42 EDT (US)     12 / 21  
Im not sure thats possible Brutii.
First off you would need a mega computer.

Secondly It wont work because a battle only allows 6 teams. If you put units on Huge Size, and made only peasant armys, which each unit equals 240x20= 4800x6= 28800 soldeirs possible on the field

posted 07 January 2006 20:29 EDT (US)     13 / 21  
[quote/] My bad.
Just "dxdiag".
The grahpics card should be under "display". [quote/]

Hmm, I didn't see anything that said graphics card there, but I saw tests. I ran the tests, and it said everything was fine. I'm still stumped

Thanks for all the help anyways, Clark!

[This message has been edited by TotalWarFanatic (edited 01-07-2006 @ 08:29 PM).]

posted 07 January 2006 22:31 EDT (US)     14 / 21  
This thread is a perfect example of a topic that can be located in the Index. The way to do it is to open the Index page, then use the built-in browser search to locate a word like "unlimited". Use F3 to search for the next match. Anyway, here is the entry you'll find:

Delayed reinforcements [unlimited, battlefield, AI, control, units, BF]: 1

posted 07 January 2006 22:32 EDT (US)     15 / 21  

Quote:

What is UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD do anyway.

Reinforcement delays delays are caused by a setting in the preferences.txt file, namely UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE.

If you want to change it, then first back up Preferences.txt (make a copy somewhere), then open preferences.txt with notepad, change as below, then save and might as well backup to a new filename.

Set UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD to be either TRUE or FALSE, like:

reinforcements delay
UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE

reinforcements do not delay
UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:TRUE

You can control a maximum of 20 units on the battlefiled (BF) at one time... that is an absolute limit, no matter what hardware you have! You can have more units on the battlefield, but they are controlled by the AI... not you (the human). These are called reinforcements. And the AI often does 'dumb' things with reinforcements. To use reinforcements (your units beyond 20) immediately this way, set UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:TRUE.

If UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE (the default), then your reinforcements (units past #20) will DELAY entering the battlefield, until you control less than 20 units. So if two units are killed, for example, you have 18. If you have another full stack waiting, then two more units will enter the battlefield from the standard battlesquare vector.

SECOND, SEPARATE ISSUE: AI CONTROL.

In the battlescroll which appears as the battle is initated in the strategic map, there is a computer icon which has a box beside it; if you uncheck this option, then you will control all reinforcements... up to 20, maximum. After 20, the AI gets the rest (if you set UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:TRUE).

Your own reinforcements will always arrive at the beginning of the battle, but you can still only control up to 20 units. If you let the AI control your reinforcement (the box is checked), then your reinforcements will cross the red line and join you immediately.

However, if you set UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE, then the AI will control all reinforcements.

EXAMPLE: Your scroll opens and you have 3 stacks. Your primary stack has 5 units, and the other two have 12 and 20. Your total units at combat initiation is therefore 5+12+20=37.

UMOB AI Box #Units on BF When #Units You #Units waiting
(maximum) control to enter BF
====== ========== ============ ======= =========== =============
TRUE + Checked = 37 Immed. 5** 0
TRUE + UnChecked = 37 Delay 20* 17***
FALSE + Checked = 20 Delay 5** 17
FALSE + UnChecked = 20 Delay 20* 17
Special notes:
* - You will control the reinforcement units when they actually enter the active BF.
** - The AI will control all your units on the active BF beyond your primary army stack, including those that are delayed.
*** - As long as you have 20 units on the field, your remaining units will await entry behind the red line; as some of your units die/leave the BF, these reinforcements will begin to enter, keeping you at 20.

posted 09 January 2006 17:21 EDT (US)     16 / 21  
Nice to know what it does but what is the hardcode for max soldiers on the field.

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
posted 09 January 2006 19:11 EDT (US)     17 / 21  
well when i ment like alot of people on the ba ttle feild i dont meen like 50 unit cars... i meeen like 600 people in each unit card. get me now??

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[ŻŻŻŻŻŻ]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[]/===]
|/ŻŻŻŻ/##/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ-------------------/ŻŻŻŻ
`````/##/
posted 10 January 2006 13:53 EDT (US)     18 / 21  

Quote:

Nice to know what it does but what is the hardcode for max soldiers on the field.

A lot of number I have seen quoted by many people, but none I actually trust (e.g., decisively verified by objective testers). You can test... one number I've seen quoted is 16,000... but I have a feeling its more. The 10,000 limit is removed, of course, as a consequense implementation of my prior post. I've had about 8,000 active at once, but I'm not using a "powerful" machine.

CA has stated that RTW was created to play with graphics cards that did not yet exist in 2004. You can have a unit size of 240, but RTW seems to expect 512 MB video RAM or more to support the textures for it.

posted 10 January 2006 14:06 EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Am I the only one whose never had a "note" or anything else tell me how many units I shouldn't go over onscreen?

And, I'm not exactly running a huge machine, here.

"we have an agenda, a character assassination agenda, assassinating characters is what we do for a living" - Sukkit
posted 10 January 2006 14:28 EDT (US)     20 / 21  
The "max" number is not a specific limitation, but based on machine, textures loaded, battle area and background, number of troops, etc. RTW's way of doing that is in the "default" unit size and machine settings made at setup time. But those are often conservative, or not well-recieved by the owner. Most people want to know exact limits and extremes, and the game simply seems to strive to obscure that sort of information. The game "prefers" that you let it make the settings... but of course, you can override most settings in the easily edited .txt files.
posted 10 January 2006 15:28 EDT (US)     21 / 21  
My cap was at 6k, on my older computer 3k.
That's fine, I don't need more units on the battlefield, it is already more than any other game could take care of.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Max soldiers on battlefield [unlimited]
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames