Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What are Hit Points?
posted 14 January 2006 10:29 EDT (US)   
Spartans will defeat Sacred Band even though the Sacred Band has more attack and defence. Refer to topic title.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
Replies:
posted 14 January 2006 10:53 EDT (US)     1 / 4  
How many hits a single man in the unit will take before dying. Most units will die with a single hit; general's guards, berserkers and Spartans all have 2 HP, ie they can take two hits before dying.

By this I solemnly swear that the day is coming when the Greeks one and all will miss Achilles badly, and you in your despair will be powerless to help them as they fall in their multitudes to man-slaying Hector. Then you will tear your heart out in remorse for giving no respect to the best of the Greeks. - Swift-footed Achilles, The Iliad
posted 14 January 2006 11:11 EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Not entirely correct as i tend to examine some battle situations in close-ups, i've seen 1HP units ( like Phallangites ) being hit, fall down and then rise to fight again.

The more correct answer to this is that a 2HP unit needs twice the hits of a 1HP unit in order to be killed.

My son ask for another Kingdom equal to thyself for Macedonia is too small for thee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phillip II of Macedon towards his son Alexander the Great
posted 14 January 2006 11:37 EDT (US)     3 / 4  
There is more than one hit for a 1 HP unit; I believe it is 10 hit points for 1 HP. One HP means the unit must lose 10 hits (hit points) before it is removed from the battle. When a unit has less than 1 hit point (namely, 0, -1, -2, -3, -anything), then the unit registers as a casualty (not necessarily dead, though), and is "removed" from the battle. 2 HPs means that unit has twice the hit points (20, not 10 for example) of a 1 HP unit. A 3 HP unit has triple the hit points (30, not 10). So in ecceft, this is a measure of the unit's ablility to absorb "punishment".

Units falling down does not mean the unit is dead. It is a designed game feature, particularly visible with elephants. The unit cannot fight for a moment, then returns to battle (the unit can continue to lose hit points while down). Naturally, a friendly unit who is down cannot continue inflicting casualties upon the enemy.

After the battle, another unit resolution is applied. Namely, determination of the individuals that die as a consequence of being reduced to 0 or fewer hits, and calculating which ones 'recover' from their wounds. Things like surgeons and doctors with the commanding general can increase the number of casualties that recover, which obviously decreases the number that are reported as dead (removed from the game for good). If a unit recovers, then it is available with full hit points at the beginning of the next battle, even later that turn. Remember... a turn represents 6 months .

EDIT: Reworded some stuff.

[This message has been edited by Wartrain (edited 01-15-2006 @ 09:37 AM).]

posted 14 January 2006 11:41 EDT (US)     4 / 4  
This thread now Indexed as:

Hit Points [casualty, recover, die, HP, 2X, resolution, full, dead]: 1

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » What are Hit Points?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames