Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Balistas!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11 September 2006 20:59 EDT (US)   
I was fighting a battle against a Macedon army as Brutti, I had 3 units of principies, 3 balista units, 2 archer units, a general, and one equite unit. The Macedons had a 800 man army of militia hoplites, levy pikemen, skirms, lancers, and a general.

As the Macedon's entered the range of my balista's, all 3 of my balista groups (that equals 6 balista's total, because I use large unit scale) opened fire on the nearest unit of levy pikemen. The first volley (6 bolts) killed 14 pikemen and the next volley they routed. After seeing how well they preformed against the Levies, I turned onto the General's Bodyguard. 2 volleys took out half of the bodyguard, including the general. I than routed 2 more units of levy pikemen and killed 1/4 unit of lancers before the army got close enough to attack me. They were easily routed with no general and low morale. My balistas killed 46 soldiers (put together of course).

So, my point, balistas are SO good...I always underestimated their real power. I will be sure to use them again, because they really devastate an army at long range. They can easily kill a general before the real fighting starts, and they can route a few units too.

PS: I wish balistas could be specially mounted on walls, that would rock!

[This message has been edited by AFF92 (edited 09-11-2006 @ 09:01 PM).]

Replies:
posted 14 September 2006 08:43 EDT (US)     26 / 40  
ive heard some people say that roman onagers are more accurate than other factions. True ?
posted 14 September 2006 17:33 EDT (US)     27 / 40  
@wnoble - Probably not. I can't imagine Roman onagers getting an edge over any of the other factions' onagers.

@Sardonac - When can you hit siege towers with onagers? I've tried it with my onagers behind stone walls, but whenever I click to attack the siege tower, the onagers do nothing at all, they sit there. However, if I tell them to attack the units after they come out of the tower, then they'll fire at the units (not the siege tower though).

posted 15 September 2006 05:02 EDT (US)     28 / 40  
Firing onagers at seige towers.

(this is speculative - comments welcome!!)

I've had the situation where the seige tower is within range but when told to fire at the seige tower, the onager just sits there.

I suspect that the problem may be that the prog checks to see if the unit being fired at is in range, then looks to see if the onager can hit the unit. If the stone wall gets in the way, it can't hit it so it doesn't fire.

With big stone walls, assuming basic physics, then the onager should be the same distance away from the wall as the target is on the other side for the onager to have the best chance of clearing the wall (ie the max height of the shot will be mid-way between onager and target, and you'll need max elevation of shot to clear the wall.)

Often the best way to hit a seige tower that is near to the wall is to aim at a unit further away but in line with the tower.

(Not true of low walls where the onager can shoot over them quitee asily.)

posted 15 September 2006 08:35 EDT (US)     29 / 40  
So, perhaps I should aim at a unit farther back? What about aiming at the unit climbing the tower, does that work? I have had sometimes where the onager does fire at the ST, and the ST collapses and kills a ton of it's own men.
posted 15 September 2006 10:21 EDT (US)     30 / 40  
AFF: It is strange, but when I played, Roman onagers were much better always (weren´t they, Oman :-D)
posted 15 September 2006 13:37 EDT (US)     31 / 40  
Adding experience makes a missile unit more accurate. It may also have been sheer fluke, since even with a notoriously inaccurate weapon, you can still get great accuracy by blind luck alone.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 15 September 2006 22:52 EDT (US)     32 / 40  
Okay, so should I target the actual siege tower to bring it down or the units in it or the units far beyond it?
posted 15 September 2006 23:03 EDT (US)     33 / 40  
AFF, shoot when you are far back(ish) and when the tower is at the wall and the enemy are filing in. This gives you a nice, easy shot and a lot of kills-joy hehe

(\__/)GOODBYE STEVE IRWIN RIP
(O.o )
(> < ) No matter who you are, or where you from, or what language you speak, the story of the spartan and the fox is still pretty morbid.
posted 15 September 2006 23:20 EDT (US)     34 / 40  
target the units far behind it. the rocks will try to hit the unit but will also hit the tower. two birds with "one" stone. only in this case the bird has a sword and a shield. with this he will try to kill you.

class dismissed.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."- Thomas Jefferson
posted 16 September 2006 11:16 EDT (US)     35 / 40  
Alright, I'll try that. I did it once against Egyptians as Scippi. It was funny to see a whole battalion of Pharoah's Guards get crushed as a siege tower collapsed.
posted 16 September 2006 12:01 EDT (US)     36 / 40  
Umm, I never target the unit behind it, for instance: If I am in a stone walled city and they try to tower the wall at the end of a street, I just place my guy in the street a bit back and shoot at the tower. Always works for me.

(\__/)GOODBYE STEVE IRWIN RIP
(O.o )
(> < ) No matter who you are, or where you from, or what language you speak, the story of the spartan and the fox is still pretty morbid.
posted 19 September 2006 04:05 EDT (US)     37 / 40  
Hi Pyro, yes in that game mate it seemed to be the case, however ive noticed simular occurances since in other games. They seem to hit more often, but not sure if thsi is pure coincidence or not.
posted 19 September 2006 06:40 EDT (US)     38 / 40  
Re towers -

Once a unit starts climbing the tower then there should be no problem targeting it.

Another option - put the onager unit on "fire at will" and move it towards your settlement wall - it may well hit upon a sweet spot from which to hit towers before they get to the walls.

posted 19 September 2006 23:56 EDT (US)     39 / 40  
FUN SIEGE TACTIC:

I was fighting up on the walltops (I was attacking a stone-walled settlement). I planned this out in advance, so it worked quite well. I sent a unit of town watch on the walls were they're best units were. Of course, my townwatch were getting surrounded and killed. Then I ordered my onagers to attack the section of wall were the siege tower was that had dropped of my town watch. The wall collapsed, killing my town watch (which are useless), but completly destroying the two good units that were attacking it. Good trick!

TAD ROX
posted 20 September 2006 00:26 EDT (US)     40 / 40  
Ballistae, scorpions and repeating ballistae are not as effective at routing gold level units.

On a campaign game I accidentally allowed the city of Alexandria to rebel and it resulted in the Egyptians gaining a full stack of level 8 and 9 units with gold armour and weapons.

I trained an army that consisted of half legionary units (4 Praetorian Cohort, 3 units each of Legionary Cohort and Early Legionary Cohort) and half assorted ballista/scorpion/repeating ballista units. The ballista units did not kill very many troops and it was only after my infantry had engaged and killed many of them that they routed. Even then I only won the battle with approximately 30 Praetorian Cohort men left and most of the ballista units.

And I only fought half of their gold level army.

I got a signaturectomy again.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Balistas!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames