Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AAR - Romano British
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 17 September 2007 23:05 EDT (US)   
Yes indeed folks, I have decided to do an AAR. I finally completed my first BI campaign as the Sassanids, and decided to go with something... a little different. Like opposite of the world different.

Many thanks to SubRosa, Sev, xingjianma, and CaesarVincens for inspiring me to start my own AAR.

Anyway, here we go.

I'm playing on Hard/Hard difficulty, with only Epistolary Richards mod (to unlock emergent factions), and a scale set to large (I would do Huge, but my computer can't take it...)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing

[This message has been edited by General_Zavier (edited 10-07-2007 @ 01:30 PM).]

Replies:
posted 15 October 2007 16:54 EDT (US)     51 / 64  
Excellent use of your archers on that cliff. Seven archers with gold weapon upgrades firing downhill... *shudders*

The reason that the second horde army did not show up until later was you have UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD in your RTW\Preferences\Preferences.txt file set to FALSE. If you set it to TRUE then all reinforcing armies will show up immediately. Except those on your own side that you do not let the computer control (because there are only 20 slots in the UI for the unit cards, you can only control 20 units in a battle).
posted 15 October 2007 19:39 EDT (US)     52 / 64  
No, I don't think that's it because I have another battle I just played today where the reinforcements show up right away and each army has about 15 or so units in it.

I think that they just got lost on the way to the battlefield. Its happened before.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
posted 16 October 2007 01:26 EDT (US)     53 / 64  
Sometimes there is a delay for captain-led armies, sometimes even general-led armies are "lost," but most of the time, it is because there would be too many men on the field at once.

Though, I have seen on relief battles (I was sieging and they relieved) the city garrison doesn't come out, even though are not too many men. Usually I have superior numbers, it's like they know they'll be wiped out.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 16 October 2007 19:26 EDT (US)     54 / 64  
Ever since I set Unlimited Men to true I have never had a reinforcing army delayed. Not mine or the enemies. Now if I refuse to allow the AI to control my own reinforcements (which is always), and I have a full stack of 20 units already, then my reinforcements all sit just outside the red line until some of my units start routing off the map. Then they come in one at a time to fill my units back up to 20. They are not late or delayed however, they just cannot join the battle because of how the user interface works.

What happens is the game decides how many men on the field your system can handle without degrading performance, and then if your reinforcements would top that it simply does not allow them in. Not until folks start dying at least, reducing the number of men in the battle.

In fact, if you go to the Data\Text folder and open up event_strings.txt you will see the messages for the reinforcements being delayed. Here is the Greek one:
{your_machine_needs_upgrading_ai_to_reinforce_body_greek}The Gods must be smiling upon our efforts! The enemy reinforcements are unlikely to reach the field in time to be of any help, so let us fight as true sons of Greece with bravery in our hearts.
Then in event_titles.txt:
{your_machine_needs_upgrading_ai_to_reinforce}Enemies Reinforcements Delayed?
The part in the brackets says it all. For Amazon Total War I think I might remove the original text and instead put a note in there telling people how to enable all the men on the field.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 10-16-2007 @ 07:32 PM).]

posted 16 October 2007 22:58 EDT (US)     55 / 64  
There isn't a way to pre-set preferences? Otherwise that would be a good idea.

posted 23 October 2007 20:47 EDT (US)     56 / 64  
I'm afraid I'm going to have to put this on hold for at least two to three weeks.

I'm running sound for a play at my school and I'm gonna have to be spending a lot of time there over the next couple weeks, but I'll be sure to continue when its over.

posted 15 November 2007 22:59 EDT (US)     57 / 64  
*Sighs*

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to close this.

I'm finally done with stage managing, so I decided to get back into the swing of things with my game again, but as I went to open it today, I saw this:

Have no fear though, although my campaign with the Romano Brits is now defunct, I plan on starting a new AAR this weekendish.

I am not sure what type of AAR I will do, probably something as the Kingdom of Albion or Satanae in End of Days, or I shall do a Ultra-Migration in regular old vanilla RTW. Tell me which one you think would be better.

posted 16 November 2007 00:43 EDT (US)     58 / 64  
Too bad about the Romano-British. They are one of the interesting factions.

I say go for End Of Days. It looks like a very cool, and quite original, mod. Something a lot different from run of the mill RTW.
posted 16 November 2007 04:47 EDT (US)     59 / 64  
End of Days would be neat indeed. Mass migration would be neat too though, I don't think I've seen an AAR that showed just how it's done. (other than BI which is kinda the point of BI) I completely relocated Scythia once, but I only went to asia minor so no big deal. Either way you go here I'm sure it'll be fun.
posted 16 November 2007 17:36 EDT (US)     60 / 64  
Mass migration would be neat too though, I don't think I've seen an AAR that showed just how it's done.
Well, if I did do a migration, I would do like take the Greeks and go around and sack all of the main cities in the Mediterranean (Carthage, Rome, Alexandria, Jeresuleam, and a few others) and then relocate to Britain, but I think I'm gonna do an AAR as the Satanae or Kingdom of Albion.

EDIT: I dunno if its scratched or what, but my BI disk doesn't seem to be working at this moment in time. That cancels out an EOD AAR, as that uses BI. However, I am downloading right now a mod called Chivalry: Total War, so I might do something with that...

[This message has been edited by General_Zavier (edited 11-16-2007 @ 06:41 PM).]

posted 26 November 2007 08:05 EDT (US)     61 / 64  
kk i wanna start an AAR but i dunno how to take pics can someone plz tell me
posted 26 November 2007 13:04 EDT (US)     62 / 64  
One way many of us use to take screenshots, is a program called FRAPS, it will take screen shots on command and save them to the folder of your choice, all for free. To upload them sign up for the image hosting website of your choice, I like photobucket, some like imageshack and there are others too. Upload your pictures, make a thread for your AAR, then paste the links for the images onto your thread. I hope that helps.

posted 27 November 2007 00:46 EDT (US)     63 / 64  
k thanks
and another question:

----------------------------------------------------------
"I'm playing on Hard/Hard difficulty, with only Epistolary Richards mod (to unlock emergent factions)"
----------------------------------------------------------

where can i get that mod?

[This message has been edited by St Jimmy21 (edited 11-27-2007 @ 00:57 AM).]

posted 27 November 2007 12:36 EDT (US)     64 / 64  
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » AAR - Romano British
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames