You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Defensive AAR – Numidia (ATW)
posted 08 January 2009 18:23 EDT (US)   
Yes indeed folks, its time for another AAR, courtesy of Zavier. Anyway, this AAR will be a defensive AAR, a type that I have never managed to finish in the past.

I also hope to actually finish this AAR. (I was going to go back to my WRE one, but I don’t have the save anymore.)

Anyway, here we go.

Mod: SubRosa’s Amazon: Total War (with a few minor tweaks by me.)
Civilization: Numidia
Difficulty: Very Hard / Very Hard
Conditions:
-Defend my starting three territories till game over (14 A.D.)
-Never attack another city.
-I can declare war with other civs only if they are on my land.
-My navy can go anywhere.

Let’s begin.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
Replies:
posted 08 January 2009 18:57 EDT (US)     1 / 23  
Alright, let’s begin.

I’m gonna start out by saying that I’ve made a few tweaks to the unit stats for all the civs. Mainly, I just reduced the upkeep of some units and increased the number of onagers per unit from two to four, things like that.

So don’t be surprised if my ATW is a little different from yours. I like big armies early on, and by making things cheaper and taking less time to train, I’ll have more armies faster. Although this is a double edged sword. While I will be able to afford more units than I normally would, so can the computer. So it will be interesting.

I start out and check out my three settlements. Not much of a profit.

These guys are gonna be important in the long run.

However, they won’t be as important as these guys. Much cheaper, Numidian Cavalry is going to be a major staple of my armies. Although I need to tweak that defensive stat. It shouldn’t be fourteen…

On his first mission to check out Carthage, my spy is killed. That sucks. I plan on using lots of agents in this game.

My diplomat gets trade rights and map info from Carthage, but they don’t want to be allies.

A family member comes of age. Since he has no traits or anything, I’ll send him south to build watch towers. Maybe he’ll meet some rebels there.

Ugh. Just before I can get trade rights with Greece…

Carthage, however, doesn’t seem to want trade rights anymore. I quickly start building a wall in Icosium.

However, they have elephants and attack the city the same turn they besiege it.

This doesn’t look good. Really my only chance is to take down the elephants before they can take down the wall.

Success!

However, I had Muttines outside trying to run down those slingers, and with the elephants running amok, all of the Carthaginian cavalry starts chasing after him.

He just barely doesn’t make it to the gate, and gets killed by two units of Round Shields.

Even more upsetting, the battle literally ends five seconds later when the elephants flee the field.

Muttines will be avenged!

Indeed he will. Gisgo arrives with reinforcements to drive Hanno into the sea.

Hanno starts out with his back to the sea. He will not see another day.

First the cavalry on their flanks is taken apart by my numidians. However, because all of my cavalry is automatically set to skirmish, my slingers aren’t as protected as they should have been. So I send in my heavy cavalry.

Gisgo and my desert infantry push forward at their center.

I surround them with cavalry and Hanno starts routing!

He goes down running like a coward.

Here’s the weird part. The rest of their army tried to flee the battle, but as soon as they got to a certain point in the water, they all started drowning.

Nike. Apparently drowned soldiers deaths are credited to me because I know that more than 6 of their men were killed by the water.

In the west, Spain will probably cross soon.

And in the east, Triton has been destroyed, and the Gorgons have probably moved on to Carthage herself.

That’s all for now, maybe more after dinner.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
posted 08 January 2009 19:57 EDT (US)     2 / 23  
Interesting. Playing with the BI executable too. That will make it much more difficult. You will have to contend with not only the Gorgon Horde, but constant naval attacks as well. Expect Carthage to make an amphibious landing near Icosium early on, using their army from Sicily (I see they did it). Then the Iberians to cross over, take Tingi, and move east against you. Hope you can finish it.

I suggest you leave the Defense of the Numudian Cavalry alone. I bumped it up to there after playing a Numidian campaign. I found that the vanilla stats just did not cut it. Not to balance out the faction compared to others, nor to accurately reflect just what outstanding horsemen the Numidians were. You will find they do not seem so overpowered when you face Gorgon Heavy Cavalry and Horse Archers. Let alone their foot Archers.

You can make your thumbnails go straight to the full size pictures by removing the section of code that says ?action=view& current= The simplest way to do an entire batch is to paste your picture code into the forum as usual, then look to the middle section of each line where it says ?action=view& current= and highlight that, then copy it. Press Ctrl +F to bring up a search box and then paste that piece of code into there. With Firefox it will automatically find the first instance of the code and highlight it. Click in an open space above it to deselect the text. Now press F3 and Delete over and over again until all instances of the code are gone. Just be sure you do not go to far and start deleting the rest of the code in your last picture.
posted 09 January 2009 05:32 EDT (US)     3 / 23  
An defensive AAR!

Nice! I know that Severous (much missed by all) did a defensive German campaign which was really epic. I hope that you'll be able to do it, but you have Spain, the Gorgons and possibly Greece on your borders.

But good luck!

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
posted 09 January 2009 07:48 EDT (US)     4 / 23  
Nice! Coincidently I've just started a Numidian campaign last night, though I won't remain on the defensive. If I find out something that can be useful to you I'll be sure to share it.

Hussarknight
posted 09 January 2009 11:14 EDT (US)     5 / 23  
Apparently drowned soldiers deaths are credited to me because I know that more than 6 of their men were killed by the water.
But notice that the 35 Carthaginian kills do not equal the 63 Numidian losses. Do you know roughly how many Carthaginians did drown? If it is still only about 30ish, then the discrepancy is quite probably due to friendly fire.

Anyway, nice AAR, keep going. Only 500-odd turns to go...
posted 09 January 2009 19:03 EDT (US)     6 / 23  
I suggest you leave the Defense of the Numudian Cavalry alone. I bumped it up to there after playing a Numidian campaign.
Okay, well then I suggest either bumping up the attack/defense or lowering the upkeep the Numidian Noble Cavalry. Compared to other cav, yes they're elite, but their upkeep(originally 340, I lowered it to 300) is nearly three times that of regular numidian cavalry.

I'd just expect something that cost that much more to have better than +4 attack and +1 defense. In fact, I think that Cataphracts require less upkeep (although I'm not positive.)
You can make your thumbnails go straight to the full size pictures by removing the section of code that says ?action=view& current=
Thanks, I was wondering how to do that. I'll fix it in my next updates.
Nice! I know that Severous (much missed by all) did a defensive German campaign which was really epic. I hope that you'll be able to do it, but you have Spain, the Gorgons and possibly Greece on your borders.
Thanks! Indeed, I am nowhere near as good as Severous, but I hope to see this through till the end.
Nice! Coincidently I've just started a Numidian campaign last night, though I won't remain on the defensive. If I find out something that can be useful to you I'll be sure to share it.
I'd love any advice you could give.
But notice that the 35 Carthaginian kills do not equal the 63 Numidian losses. Do you know roughly how many Carthaginians did drown? If it is still only about 30ish, then the discrepancy is quite probably due to friendly fire.
Hmmm... maybe it did take kills away from carthage for drowned troops? Except I know that probably between sixty to a hundred carthaginians drowned, so I dunno...

posted 10 January 2009 04:55 EDT (US)     7 / 23  
Could you please post reports with fog of war turned off?

AAR Coming real soon :P
posted 10 January 2009 05:03 EDT (US)     8 / 23  
Yeah like in subrosa's scythian defense.
Every 10 years post a fog of war update please.

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
posted 10 January 2009 14:27 EDT (US)     9 / 23  
Okay, well then I suggest either bumping up the attack/defense or lowering the upkeep the Numidian Noble Cavalry. Compared to other cav, yes they're elite, but their upkeep(originally 340, I lowered it to 300) is nearly three times that of regular numidian cavalry.
I am going to lower it to 650 to recruit and 160 upkeep. So go ahead and change it to that.
posted 11 January 2009 04:16 EDT (US)     10 / 23  
Could you please post reports with fog of war turned off?
Yeah like in subrosa's scythian defense.
Every 10 years post a fog of war update please.
Don’t worry guys, I’ve got it taken care of.
I am going to lower it to 650 to recruit and 160 upkeep. So go ahead and change it to that.
Done and done.

Let’s get to it.

I attack a Carthaginian navy with the same number of men as I.

Surprisingly I win.

Also, I get a new general via marriage. He’s gonna go out west.

Oh, here’s another change I made. I gave Numidia War elephants, not that I’ll be using them in this campaign with their ridiculously high upkeep.

The Gorgon horde approaches Carthage…

There’s less action in this campaign than I thought. Sometimes I go several turns with no battles at all.

A small skirmish with rebels.

Nike.

Carthage offers me a ceasefire.

I accept because they have enough problems a bit to the east.

I’ve seen this in a few campaigns. I dunno why that bright spot is off in the corner there.

Looks like things are eating up out west.

Apparantly Carthage has been occupied peacefully.

They’re still dug in down south.

Uh-oh. I might have to break our ceasefire if that fleet gets to close to my shores.

Of course I’ll take him!

Still another general joins the ranks.

Yep, Carthage is too close to Icosium.

Nike.

You know what that means…

Another small skirmish…

…And another easy victory.

Ten years into his reign, our king dies in his sleep.

And since its been ten years, you know what that means:

Italy, Greece, and the Western Med are as expected.

Space seems to be getting tight on the steppes.

The battle for Anatolia could go any way. Even the Scythians and Sarmatians have come to get in on that action.

The Eggies have all of their usual military power, but are pushing west instead of north.

The situation in Spain seems to have stalemated for now.

All in all, the world is about as expected.

Man, its getting tough to breathe around Numidia…

An Iberian naval force sets up a blockade. This means war!

They are dealt with.

Now for the land force…

I should have deployed more up that hill…

Because it became an all out blitz for the high ground. The Spanish cavalry got there at the same time as mine, meaning I had no time for any tactical maneuvers, and lost a fair few men.

Here’s the “Spanish General Bug.”

It basically turned into an all out melee. And you’re right SubRosa, with the extra defense, the Numidian Cavalry held up better than I thought possible.

With his army smashed and all of his bodyguards dead, no wonder this Spanish general is blue.

Nike, but with more men dead than there should have been.

Carthage comes back asking for peace again.

I agree, and I get trade rights, but they won’t go for an alliance.

Man, Egypt moves fast… I might have to contend with them too eventually.

And to end with… War!

They were on our land, and I didn’t want them there, so I was obligated to attack. I hope I won’t regret that decision…

Don’t worry folks, now that I’m at war with my two border countries, it should get very interesting, very fast.

posted 11 January 2009 05:26 EDT (US)     11 / 23  
Great stuff, Zav ATW looks awesome, too, Sub- great job!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 11 January 2009 11:48 EDT (US)     12 / 23  
So it looks like the Gorgons went for Theneste first, then north to Hippo and east to Carthage. Usually they go the opposite direction. It also looks like the settled in all three cities. You are lucky. They typically roam about a bit as a horde and lay waste to everything in the region. Taking them on in the early game is a real challenge for Numidia.

That occupation of Carthage probably was not that peaceful. I recognize that General. It is Atanea, the Gorgon Faction Heir, who carries the Bow of Myrine. That gives a good bonus to Influence, and she has a good Influence of her own even without it added on.

That Iberian General bug is something I fixed a few nights ago. Basically the CA forgot to assign a texture for the Iberian Generals in Descr_Model_Battle.txt. The Briton General texture is what is assigned to the .cas files with 3ds Max, so that appears by default when the game's text files do not specify a texture.
posted 11 January 2009 11:55 EDT (US)     13 / 23  
What's the bug?
posted 11 January 2009 12:56 EDT (US)     14 / 23  
It is what SubRosa just said. Spanish generals appear in Briton colours. They did make a texture for it, just forgot to add it in. The captain is a bit odd as well; it is the general texture on a captain model.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 01-11-2009 @ 12:57 PM).]

posted 11 January 2009 14:53 EDT (US)     15 / 23  
Looks like there's two big wars ahead. Nice!

About the Gorgons, in my campaign they passed lake Tritonis in the west and sacked the Greek town before heading north to Carthage where they settled. One of their armies did threaten my lands (captured Theneste and Capsa) but they didn't pose much of a problem.

A tip about the Gorgons: they have quite a lot of generals, who are quite powerful with their missile attack so watch out for them. In my campaign I'm trying to find a way to deal with oner of their armies that's got four generals in it.

Hussarknight
posted 18 January 2009 22:34 EDT (US)     16 / 23  
Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I have final exams next week and I've been studying my butt off, so I haven't had time to play.

But after next week I'll be able to update again.

Thanks for understanding.

posted 21 January 2009 00:06 EDT (US)     17 / 23  
Watch hte hungy eye of Pharoh. Egypt is a slumbrering giant waiting to seethe forthh with the rage of Sekmet! and the venegeance of Horas!

III<<<<<<IIIIII>>>>III
II( (O) )I///II( (O))IIIIIIII
IIIIIIIII////IIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIo//o/IIIIIIIIIIIII___"Chicken boy!? Say that to my
IIII(_____________)IIIIIII____face ya limp noodle!!"
IIIII(................)IIIIII____-Mushu from Disney's Mulan
posted 27 January 2009 22:43 EDT (US)     18 / 23  
Alright guys, I know its been a while, but I’m back. Although, I do have a lot of homework so tonight’s update won’t be that long.

251 B.C.

It seems that the whole rest of West Africa is about to be taken, most likely by Spain, I saw one of their armies around there a couple turns ago.

This update contains Pax Numidia. A surprising time where, despite my being at war with two great powers, no attacks into my territory occur for nearly 20 years.

Here, a Spanish general seems reluctant to cross into my territory.

I send an army out to try and bait them across the border.

It doesn’t work.

There is a bit of naval conflict though.

Its now 250 B.C. Forty turns in. And as promised, some pics with fog of war off.

Spain – Nearly all cities. One Gallic stronghold left.

Gaul – The Britons, and now Germania, are tearing up Northern Gaul.

Italy – Roman. As expected. The General fairy should be coming soon though.

Greece – The Roman invasion has begun, and a fierce and diverse fight for Byzantium has begun.

Middle East – The “Big Silver” isn’t nearly as big as it is in SubRosa’s campaign. Probably because they don’t have someone destroying the Eggies for them.

Steppes – Little change, however armies roam freely about.

Indeed it was Spain laying siege to Dimmidi. Now I’m basically surrounded.

Huh. I guess Dacia decided to give up to Germania.

That’s not something you see every day. A Barbarian government building, a Greek barracks, and Carthaginian roads, walls, trader, and temple.

There goes another Carthaginian stronghold.

Cirta has reached “Large City” level pop.

Apparantly Dacia has surrendered to Germania… again?

In the wake of all my recent prosperity, I’ve expanded my navy. And it comes in useful against the Gorgons.

Nike. (Man, I haven’t been able to say that in years.)

The first land battle in ten years is against two units of rebel peasants. Terrifying.

Its not even worth it, so I just auto-resolve.

Sica grows a tier.

Here’s something I’m not sure if I pointed out before or not. I made War Elephants recruitable for Numidia from a large city stable. However, they have no unit card, its just the generic peasant one.

Well, that’s all I have time for. Hopefully, more tomorrow. Thanks guys!

posted 02 February 2009 04:34 EDT (US)     19 / 23  
Pretty quiet at the moment, don't you think?

AAR Coming real soon :P
posted 02 February 2009 09:20 EDT (US)     20 / 23  
Good to see this getting back on the road.

I have to say things sure are quite in your campaign. Let's hope it's the silence before the storm.

You had best prepare well for the Gorgon assault. I fought them in my Numidia campaign and their forces are quite though. Their horse archers for example can shoot further than your Archers when they're standing on a wall. I struggled quite a lot to defeat them (they were a horde though) and that was on Hard.

Hussarknight
posted 22 March 2009 15:57 EDT (US)     21 / 23  
BUMP!!

III<<<<<<IIIIII>>>>III
posted 22 March 2009 19:33 EDT (US)     22 / 23  
Uh, no gravedigging please. General Zavier will probably continue this once he returns from absentia.
posted 22 March 2009 21:45 EDT (US)     23 / 23  
sorry I just felt the need to put a nail in the coffin

III<<<<<<IIIIII>>>>III
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Defensive AAR – Numidia (ATW)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames