Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sepia Joust IV- (Sci-Fi)- Discussion
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 14 May 2010 05:00 EDT (US)   
Hail, Warriors of the Quill.

Our third Sepia Joust has ended. Two elegant warlords fought for the laurels, and while both achieved honors, only one emerged victorious. Thus it is time to prepare the next sequel.

The Sepia Joust IV is now open for Genre Selection and Entry Date Decisions. It has been proposed that those wishing to enter have their pieces ready by the end of August, giving all fair warning and enough time to prepare a wonderful entrant. Other times may be discussed.

But what shall the genre be? Each Joust shall have a new genre, so each time we decide on a genre, the list becomes shortened by one.

The remaining genres are:

Poetry (rhyming)
Historic fiction
Fantasy
Poetry (prose) II
Science Fiction (any era from past to future, for a fun change of pace) V
Comedy/Parody I
Criminal (in old days) I
Romantic / Romantic Adventure
Documentary
Advisory
Horror (Sepia Joust III)
Thriller
Brief History (Sepia Joust I)
Diary / Journal (Sepia Joust II)

Place your votes. The sooner we decide on a genre, the more time we will have to prepare a fitting piece.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 06-14-2010 @ 02:21 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03 October 2010 05:57 EDT (US)     51 / 77  
I knew my Easter Egg would be subtle, but so subtle that nobody noticed it at all was beyond comprehension...

Sorry about the slow beginning- I was simply trying to introduce the characters as they were, what motivated them to go on the journey, and create a broad-stroke background of an entire galaxy that is differnt than ours. Researching the various bosons, then having to create not one but two new ones, with their own unique properties and be realistic about it... It took a while to get the science out of the way, but it had to be done to get the rest of the tale in perspective for the ending.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
posted 03 October 2010 06:23 EDT (US)     52 / 77  
Er...perhaps someone will soon discover it and enlighten us all

I was being too harsh. Fact is I read too much Bernard Cornwell, and have come to expect great beginnings and punchlines from every one of his works, an expectation that I have extended (unfairly? ) onto your work, along with Edorix's and Afty's (can I call him that? ).

I see your point. Star Wars novels enjoy the insurmountable advantage of not having to put in any background info at the start at all: Readers knew all about that universe already.

EDIT: Edorix, I kinda feel bad about not voting for you, so here's a little somethin' somethin' I got you... Enjoy!

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 10-03-2010 @ 06:30 AM).]

posted 03 October 2010 09:22 EDT (US)     53 / 77  
Afty would say that's not in the spirit of the competition... but thank you! I think that's the second warstory chapter that has been dedicated to me in my time here.
Having a spaceship land in Britain is fine, but a spaceship that melts when in contact with water, putting that in Britain? Have you not heard of rain? And fire is but heat more than the fuel can handle- wood burns at a relatively low temperature- much lower than that generated by passing through the atmosphere. Had Xing hit a cloud on his way in there would have been no tale. Those two irritated me, but luckily the tale itself was so gripping and so enthralling that it more than made up for it.
You make a good point about the cloud, but remember Xing would have known all along what the properties of water were and carefully avoided such things. I could argue weather prediction is one reason his next destination was somewhere so much drier. I do not agree that fire is nothing but "heat more than the fuel can handle" - first, what is heat? Heat is energy. Is energy visible? No. Xing called it "carbon plasma" - I consider fire to be a substance, and so Xing knew that it was, "plasma" being a hypothetical fourth physical state.

The ending was deliberately anti-climactic. Firstly, the theme I tried to convey subtextually at the end was how small we all are; thus the end had to seem unimportant/disappointing in parallel with life.

posted 03 October 2010 14:20 EDT (US)     54 / 77  
Don't get too wrapped up in my petty irritations.

This is worth repeating:
the tale itself was so gripping and so enthralling that it more than made up for it

posted 04 October 2010 01:01 EDT (US)     55 / 77  
Aye, my thanks for that; but folks have a knack of swallowing compliments whole and then being left with criticisms which must ultimately be swallowed too; so I justify myself and make them palatable.

posted 04 October 2010 13:28 EDT (US)     56 / 77  
My original idea was going to be set in pre-discovered North America. The main character would be a Bear that is worshipped but hunted by a Huron Tribe. Eventually they capture and kill it. Soon after it is revealed that the Bear was actually a human being in a virtual reality machine, the machine has acquired sentience however and turns murderous - using the environment in the VR to kill it's victims, in this case - the tribe. It gets some kind of satisfaction from murdering Humans like any serial killer. But after writing half a dozen pages I scrapped it for seeming too complicated and not sci fi enough.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 04 October 2010 15:03 EDT (US)     57 / 77  
Still sounds epic though.

posted 07 October 2010 01:39 EDT (US)     58 / 77  
*Reminder*

Voting is still open. It closes in one week.

posted 07 October 2010 11:19 EDT (US)     59 / 77  
Here're the scores so far:

Edorix: 2 (Romulus and Afty)
Terikel: 2 (Edorix and Me)
Afty: 1 (Terikel)

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

posted 07 October 2010 14:50 EDT (US)     60 / 77  
Nickel voted for Afty as well.

Terikel: II
Aftermath: II
Edorix: II

posted 08 October 2010 01:45 EDT (US)     61 / 77  
This could be cool if people stopped voting now. Then the Skaldic votes would come into play, and each Skald gave to a different, which would end in a three-way tie.

We all win.

Cool, eh?

posted 08 October 2010 05:06 EDT (US)     62 / 77  
An interesting development indeed!

A f t y

A A R S

posted 08 October 2010 11:38 EDT (US)     63 / 77  
I'd prefer a single winner... ME.

posted 08 October 2010 11:56 EDT (US)     64 / 77  
Selfish, selfish...

posted 12 October 2010 03:41 EDT (US)     65 / 77  
Afty has the lead by a single vote now.

Two more days to go....

For those who have yet to vote- DO SO!

posted 13 October 2010 06:23 EDT (US)     66 / 77  
*Reminder*

Voting closes tomorrow.

posted 13 October 2010 23:30 EDT (US)     67 / 77  
Edorix: III
Terikel: IV
Afty: III

We need two more votes to flush out the double-whammies...

posted 14 October 2010 01:03 EDT (US)     68 / 77  
Not so; a draw in second place is fine, and it certainly suits me.

posted 14 October 2010 04:11 EDT (US)     69 / 77  
Hah, I thought I had stolen victory and the votes would dry up last minute!

A f t y

A A R S

posted 14 October 2010 04:30 EDT (US)     70 / 77  
Voting closed?

posted 14 October 2010 06:41 EDT (US)     71 / 77  
Voting closes when Thursday is no more, anywhere.

(What a poetic way of saying when I wake up on Friday morning... Maybe the next Joust should be poetry..)

posted 15 October 2010 01:57 EDT (US)     72 / 77  
Voting is now closed.

posted 15 October 2010 05:05 EDT (US)     73 / 77  
The Joust is over.

Broken quills and spilled ink litter the desktops where the entrants fought for well-earned glory and the prestigious title of Champion. The battles were epic, worthy of a saga themselves, as the voice of the readers were heard one by one. It was a difficult task to vote this time, as all three pieces were praised for their quality and depth. Yet the readers made their voices heard.

Here are the results of the Readers' Jury:

Edorix and Terikel raced neck-and neck, first Edorix leading, then the Old One catching him before the young reigning Champion pulled ahead, only to be caught once again.

Then Aftermath jumped ahead, catching three votes in a row to take the lead from both of his rivals. Edorix pulled in another vote, bringing him up to equal Aftermath and leave the Old One to eat the dust in their wake.

Then, in the waning hours of the Vote, the Old One surged forward to meet his rivals, tying the vote at 3-3-3 until the tenth and final vote was cast. Mythic Commodore had the honor of breaking the three way tie- casting his vote for Terikel Grayhair.

Now the race is finished, and the Joust complete. Terikel Grayhair has successfully regained the vaunted title of Champion of the Sepia Joust.

Thanks to the Readers for their input, and to the writers for creating these masterpieces into which we can delve for pleasure and entertainment.

posted 15 October 2010 12:08 EDT (US)     74 / 77  
Congratulations mi carandd! I gladly cede my title of Reigning Champion to the most worthy challenger. *bows, flourish, the metaphorical bardic harp is passed to the ancient berserker*.

posted 15 October 2010 21:39 EDT (US)     75 / 77  
Congrats, amico mio (I've gotta use another language too to sound as cool). It was so close... but you pulled ahead at the last breath.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 10-15-2010 @ 09:42 PM).]

posted 16 October 2010 04:57 EDT (US)     76 / 77  
Congratulations again Terikel! I enjoyed it a lot and will definitely look to enter the next Jousts!

A f t y

A A R S

posted 16 October 2010 07:21 EDT (US)     77 / 77  
Thanks, everyone. It was a close one this time- very, very close.

In a couple of months we'll start the genre selection of the next one.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Sepia Joust IV- (Sci-Fi)- Discussion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames