You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sepia Joust VII- Historical Fiction 31 August 2013 Discussion thread
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10 March 2013 07:01 EDT (US)   
The groundskeeper had little to do after Sepia Joust VI- no broken quills or spilled ink to clean up. He merely had to rake the lists clean after the footprints of the victor.

Now the winter is on its way out, the crocuses are blooming, and the time has come to sharpen our quills for the next round. As always, we vote on a new genre, hear the bragging of those who dare not enter, listen to the mighty crawing of others, then by the Kalends of October submit our pieces for the Voting Scroll.

The genres are:

Poetry (rhyming)
Historic fiction
Fantasy
Poetry (prose)
Science Fiction (Sepia Joust IV)
Comedy/Parody (Sepia Joust V)
Criminal (in old days) (Sepia Joust VI)
Romantic / Romantic Adventure
Documentary
Advisory
Horror (Sepia Joust III)
Thriller
Brief History (Sepia Joust I)
Diary / Journal (Sepia Joust II)

Place your votes. The sooner we decide on a genre, the more time we will have to prepare a fitting piece.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 09-11-2013 @ 09:22 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12 September 2013 16:04 EDT (US)     26 / 44  
Is it possible to delay the closing of the submissions thread for a week? I'm currently overrun by exams...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
posted 12 September 2013 17:27 EDT (US)     27 / 44  
I don't think there has yet been a joust when submissions haven't been extended.
posted 13 September 2013 03:41 EDT (US)     28 / 44  
Real Life comes first, especially education.

Closing date is currently set to the Kalends of October.

Does thou require more time than that? Seriously?

Then we can extend a week beyond, if that is necessary.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
posted 14 September 2013 02:12 EDT (US)     29 / 44  
Kalends of October.
October first for those of us who are from the 21st century, not the 10th

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own

[This message has been edited by General Sajaru (edited 09-14-2013 @ 02:12 AM).]

posted 16 September 2013 05:35 EDT (US)     30 / 44  
21st century already?

It seems just the other day was the big hoo-doo over the world ending and whats-his-face coming back when the calendar rolled from 999 to four digits.

My, how time flies.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-02-2013 @ 01:24 AM).]

posted 29 September 2013 05:06 EDT (US)     31 / 44  
Two Days.

posted 29 September 2013 06:54 EDT (US)     32 / 44  
So when does voting commence. Once voting has stared, i will sit down with a nice cup of tea and feast my eyes upon the entries. I am looking forward to it..

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 29 September 2013 12:41 EDT (US)     33 / 44  
Two days.

posted 30 September 2013 15:49 EDT (US)     34 / 44  
Sorry guys, I won't make it, as i've only managed to type half of my story...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
posted 01 October 2013 07:14 EDT (US)     35 / 44  
A reasonable extension can be granted. Up to a week.

Is that sufficient? Say so, and we grant seven days.
Do you need more than that? Sorry Charlie.

Your choice.

How fast can you type?

posted 01 October 2013 23:55 EDT (US)     36 / 44  
Well, I have access to a computer for about half an hour per day, so I type and edit two small pages. I have 25 such pages left, so I won't make it in a week...

posted 02 October 2013 01:16 EDT (US)     37 / 44  
Ouch.

You can always post your piece later as a stand-alone tale.

Thus sadly, this Joust is closed.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-02-2013 @ 01:17 AM).]

posted 12 October 2013 08:19 EDT (US)     38 / 44  
Voting is underway in this thread, but will close around 21 October.

Want to cast a vote? You are encouraged to do so.

posted 16 October 2013 05:15 EDT (US)     39 / 44  
Five (5) days

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-20-2013 @ 04:24 AM).]

posted 20 October 2013 04:24 EDT (US)     40 / 44  
Tomorrow.

posted 24 October 2013 09:21 EDT (US)     41 / 44  
Closed.

A bit late, but still.

I will be putting up the results soon.

posted 01 November 2013 16:12 EDT (US)     42 / 44  
The lists were barren. Grass that was once plush and green lay now in dying clumps scattered about where sharp styli had gouged great rents in the vermillion carpet, then further damaged by the fancy footwork of the battling contestants.

The Viking was the heavy favorite- a veteran of many combats, both large and small. His stylus was as quick despite its size, and his ink laid down runes that conjured up images of days gone by, when men fought not only against each other, but against the elements as well.

The newcomer General was the underdog, but gifted with words and images of battles of another nature. He boldly strode into the ring, and fearlessly threw himself into the battle.

Long and lustily the two battled, dispensing blood on the one hand, and emotional turmoil on the other. Each brought something to the battle, and each was rewarded with cheers and ovations from those gathered to watch the contest.

At long last, General was pummeled to his knees. He raised his pen to ward off one last glancing blow, then raised haunting eyes to the Viking looming over him.

"It appears you have been favored," he uttered. "The tallies are in, Viking, and yours outnumber mine. It was a good fight. I am honored to have been a part of this."

The Viking nodded, then lowered his feathered stylus to lift his opponent off his knees and onto his feet.

"The honor is mine, to have had such a champion to battle," he said graciously, though with a voice as gruff and accented as coarse sandpaper across a varnished cirtuswood table. "But alas, our contest ends, and I see that you still have tricks to learn."

General Sajaru squinted against the light reflecting from the Viking's mail. Confusion galloped across his features as he tried to discern the meaning behind such words. e had fought well and honorably- defeat brought no shame.

"There is no defeat here," the Viking pointed out. "Only winners."

"But I have earned but two votes, while you have gathered three. Three beats two. I have lost."

The Viking broke into a toothy grin. "You forget that I am a Master Skald of the Guild, young man. My vote- which I cast for thee- counts as two. Three versus three- we both win."

"Thus... I too am a Champion of the Joust?"

The Viking nodded. "And well earned, too."

Thus ended the Seventh Sepia Joust with two deserving champions.

posted 02 November 2013 13:48 EDT (US)     43 / 44  
Congratulations to both of you for your excellent stories...

posted 03 November 2013 06:04 EDT (US)     44 / 44  
Well done both of you for taking the effort to enter into this contest. I am myself polishing up my writing skills- Maybe i will enter the next competition..

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Sepia Joust VII- Historical Fiction 31 August 2013 Discussion thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames