Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Crown for the Wolves - Saxony ETW AAR
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 18 April 2013 12:37 EDT (US)   

A Crown for the Wolves

A Saxony AAR on Empire: Total War Darthmod

Saxony starts as a one province Protestant German state. An ancient Electorate of the Holy Roman Empire, it has been ruled for centuries by the House of Wettin from its capital, the relatively prosperous city of Dresden. Situated in a melting pot of small German fiefs between the Hapsburg Holy Roman Emperors and the King In Prussia, it has a small army and not much infrastructure to speak of. The rising fortunes of its rulers have also hit something of a roadblock recently, in a political storm that has Europe talking.

Updated on Sundays unless otherwise warned.

• Reasserting Saxony
  • The Bavarian Campaign – The Battle of Erfurt
  • The Bavarian Campaign – The March on Munich, Gauss’ Rise to Government and The Bavarian Revolt
  • The Polish Campaign, the Württemberg declaration of war and the War of the Spanish Succession
  • The Württemberg Campaign- The Battle of Nuremburg, the Battle of Ilshofe, and the siege of Stuttgart
  • The Dresden Campaign, the Battle of Chemnitz, and Westphalia declares war
  • The Rhineland Campaigns- The second and third sieges of Stuttgart
  • The Rhineland Campaigns- the Election of the Holy Roman Emperor
  • The Rhineland Campaigns- the sieges of Strasbourg and Cologne, the Westphalian Rising, and the French Counterattack
  • The Rhineland Campaigns- The Battle of Nancy
  • The Final Rhineland Campaign and the Battle of Flanders, The Swedish Wars and the Nachlassen

Notable Persons

• Elector Fredrick August I - Elector of Saxony (1694- ) and Kaiser of the Holy Roman Emperor (1714- )
  • Johannes Gauss - First Lord of Government (1703- ), leader of the initial opposition to August's designs on Poland and frequent critic of the Elector
  • Jan Kallenbach - Lord Chief Justice (1703- ), close ally of August
  • Karl Marx - Lord Chancellor (1701- ), from an aristocratic merchant family, encouraging the industrialization of Saxony
  • August Erlanger - Lord Secretary of War (1704- ), native Prussian, architect of the modern Saxon army
  • Sebastian Smeltzer - Senior Saxon general (1702- ), noted for the Pacification of Bavaria and Wurttemberg, the retaking of Dresden, his strategic maneuvering and personal bravery in battle. From a noble family, was colonel of the 1st Royal Regiment by his early 20s.
  • Dietrich Pirngruber - Saxon General (1713- ), former Colonel of the Karabiniergarde and a son of a court favorite, noted for his defence of Stuttgart, the battle of Nancy, unorthodox skirmishing tactics and his diaries
  • Friedrich Schnabel - Colonel of the 1st Royal Regiment (1703- ), noted for the relief of the second siege of Stuttgart
  • Oskar Renke - Colonel of the 5th Nuremburg (1713-1717), noted for the relief of the second siege of Stuttgart

• King Stanislaw I - King of Poland-Lithuania (1700- ), succeeding August
  • Emperor Leopold I - Archduke of Austria, Holy Roman Emperor (1658-1714), an instigator of the War of the Spanish Succession and an ally of Saxony
  • King Louis XIV - King of France and Navarre (1654-1717), "The Sun King", an instigator of the War of the Spanish Succession and enemy of Saxony and Austria
  • Maximilian II Emanuel - Former Elector of Bavaria (1679-1704), ally of France and in exile in Paris
  • Eberhard Ludwig I - Former Duke of Wurttemberg (1692-1709), ally of France and in exile in Paris
  • Joseph Clemens of Bavaria - Archbishop of Cologne (1688-1715), ally of France, prisoner in Dresden
  • Archduke Joseph I - Archduke of Austria (1714- ), had a public spat with August over the Imperial Crown upon August's surprise election. Reluctant ally of Saxony
  • George I - King of Great Britain (1712- ) and Elector of Hannover (1698- ), ally of Saxony and Prussia
  • Frederick William I - King In Prussia (1714- )
  • King Louis XV - King of France and Navarre (1717- ), claimant to the Spanish throne, an enemy of Saxony and Austria
  • Karl XII - King of Sweden (1697- ), attempting to expand into Germany at the expense of Prussia and Saxony

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 12-21-2013 @ 09:19 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 26 May 2013 04:29 EDT (US)     51 / 75  
    Loved the sucker punch: 'please don't see the big hole in the wall, 'please don't see the big hole in the wall' and then 'oh, you see it, please don't charge it' followed by the spider welcoming the fly into his den. Bloody wonderful!

I also noticed that the AI repeated this only a couple of times before trying something else. Did it learn, or just run out of troops to send to the breach?

Excellent write up, only one nit that jumped out at me: what is an axillary? Did you mean auxiliary?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
    Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
    Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
    Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
    posted 26 May 2013 16:41 EDT (US)     52 / 75  
    Yes, I did.
    And it did kind of appear to change from rushing everyone to the breach to sax scaling walls after the first two failed assaults. The problem was they had indecisively marched the back couple back and forth under militia fire, but considering they managed to get men on a wall where I had no men overall I'd say a good ai change exhibited in this battle.

A more sensible player would have gone for the combined approach straight away, but can't complain.

posted 30 May 2013 03:18 EDT (US)     53 / 75  
    A great update!

I love how precise and detailed this is. In partcular i love your naming system, and how you follow them..

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
    History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
    Wars not make one great- Yoda
    posted 02 June 2013 17:24 EDT (US)     54 / 75  

The Rhineland Campaigns- the Election of the Holy Roman Emperor

1714- The Karabiniergarde had led raids into Alsace-Lorraine throughout the summer, steering clear of the garrison city of Strasbourg to ravage small-scale industrial and mining towns. The troops stationed there were unable to cope- stripped of most of its numbers the previous winter due to the failed assault on Stuttgart, the French’s priority was ensuring that the Saxons did not think the city made a tempting target, and when they did attempt to respond the clumsy movements of a mostly-infantry army were easily outwitted by mounted men gaining in experience and confidence all the time. However, despite the damage caused Louis XIV knew that the Saxons could not take the offensive against the French or their allies until Stuttgart was properly secured from attack- if Pirngruber marched west, the Westphalians would make a severe nuisance of themselves, but of course if he went north even the depleted French could launch a surprise raid that might end in some victory. No, Saxon aggression was tempered until Smeltzer and the rest of the Wolf regiments managed to redeploy back west, giving the French a window to scramble troops and reinforce the Alsace-Lorraine area. The problem was that no one on the Allied-French side knew how quickly that was going to happen.

Smeltzer had already put a lot of miles on his men’s boots, marching back to Dresden, then pursuing the Poles before finally defeating them outside Prague. Messengers kept him informed on the situation in Württemberg, particularly the progress of the 3rd siege of Stuttgart, and the general and his staff knew that the army was needed on the Rhineland as quickly as possible. After peace with Poland, he rallied his jaded army by relaying (and embellishing) the heroic exploits of Pirngruber and his men, of how badly the men were needed to help their comrades, and finally that they were marching straight away. In a calculated piece of theatre, he and his staff dismissed their horses and indicated they would be marching on foot with the rest of the men to “invoke the Spirit of Caesar”- coming from a rich family, Smeltzer was well aware of the legendary Roman general and had studied his writings at school, so was consciously borrowing a trick or two in motivation from the old master.

It worked marvellously. Leaving the 6th Irish to garrison Prague, the Wolves set off and made progress through the country, stopping only for supplies and reinforcements. By the winter of 1714 they had arrived east of Mainz, Westphalia, and linked up with the KG who had withdrawn into friendly territory for the winter. The Dragoons also brought news of troop movements to Smeltzer- the Westphalians’ guards, the Behr regiment, were seen on exercises around the city of Mainz, and Smeltzer could not resist the opportunity to cause a bit of panic in the enemy’s ranks by inflicting an easy defeat on some of their best troops.

The Behrs were cut off from help by the swift riding of the KG, and were cut down by massed volleys from the Saxon infantry. Evidently Westphalia and France were taken completely by surprise by the rapid march of Smeltzer- reinforcements for Strasburg were nowhere near ready, and the Westphalians would have never let their best regiment become so isolated near the front line if they had known of the presence of enemy troops. The Archbishop of Mainz knew immediately that there was only going to be one winner in this contest and threw open the city’s gates, pledging his allegiance to Saxony as he did so.

This ambush near Mainz was an indicator as to how unprepared the Westphalians were for this new phase of the Rhineland campaigns, but had another interesting knock on effect. A few days after, the ruler of Austria, de jure King of Bohemia and Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I died after a fall from his horse whilst touring the extensive Schonbrunn Palace grounds- he was 74 years old, but he had still insisted on gentle rides and walks in order to maintain an Imperial air until the unfortunate end. His eldest son, Joseph I, now took the Austrian throne, and called for the election for the King of the Romans- Hapsburgs had won this election for hundreds of years and Joseph believed that the trend would continue for at least his inevitable coronation with Austria’s faithful ally Saxony controlling two of the votes in the electoral college.

The Schonbrunn Palace today in the heart of Vienna, where Leopold died. It has extensive gardens the public may wander for free, as well as a reasonably-price tour of the palace itself with guides.

The powers in Europe, however, were more concerned with the new potential outcome of the War of the Spanish Succession. Louis XIV of France still pushed for his second son to become King of Spain, but the Hapsburg claimant was now ruler of a still powerful realm, despite a defeat to Poland and grinding progress in Italy against France. Joseph was at least smart enough to realise that none of the neutral parties in Europe such as Great Britain and Prussia could stomach a joined Hapsburg empire in much the same way they were against a united Bourbon crown. Therefore, with the advice of his ministers he proclaimed that upon taking the throne he would renounce his claim on the Spanish crown, and put forward his younger brother Charles forward as an alternative candidate “In order to ensure the sovereignty of the Spanish peoples”- the Spanish peoples, of course, not having been asked what they thought about the whole mess. France rejected this new proclamation immediately, Louis still dreaming of the Spanish empire under his command, and furthermore reiterated their support for sovereign state of Westphalia, and the exiled rulers of Württemberg and Bavaria against the “tyranny of Austria and her allies, the Wolf-like Saxons”. So the War of the Spanish Succession would continue into its 9th, and quite possibly 10th year of fighting.

To Joseph, this was not unexpected in the slightest. What he did not count on, however, was the sheer extent of his ally’s magpie-like thirst for titles and glory.

It has been seen before that August’s compulsion for crowns could land him in trouble, and here once again politicians such as Gauss could only watch in horror as their Elector proceeded to make a move for the greatest of crowns regardless of others’ wishes. The electoral college consisted of the King of Bohemia, still by inheritance the eldest Hapsburg’s title despite a Saxon garrison in Prague, the Duke of Saxony, August I, the Duke of Bavaria, also August’s vote to exercise, the Margrave of Brandenburg, controlled by the King In Prussia, the Count Palatine of the Rhine, the Archbishop of Cologne, both nominally controlled by the rulers of Westphalia, and the Archbishop of Mainz and Trier, independent bishops within Westphalia’s territory. The final Elector was that of Hannover, who was also the King of Britain. The college convened in Vienna after Leopold’s funeral, and set about the election of the new Holy Roman Emperor as their forefathers had done for many years previously all the way back to Carolingian times. However, despite Joseph’s confidence that he was going to be elected without hassle, this was going to be the most extraordinary conclave of electors for many years. The Archbishop of Cologne, and the Count of the Rhine, ruler of Westphalia, was becoming a very bitter enemy to both Austria and Saxony, and made contact with Frederick William I, the new (relatively- ascended early 1714) and suitably ambitious ruler of Prussia, promising their votes to him if Prussia would help safeguard Westphalian sovereignty. Frederick appears to have accepted on the condition that they break with their alliance with France so that external powers do not become involved in German affairs whilst the Saxo-Austrian-Westphalian dispute would be hypothetically be sorted out. Three votes to Prussia, then, but Austria could count on the rest of the votes to secure the Imperial crown, couldn’t they?

Unknown to the Prussian supporters and Austria, August was making his own clandestine arrangements to deliver the greatest title of all into his hands- Emperor. The Archbishop of Mainz had met with August and pleaded with him not to allow Smeltzer to billet his men in the city before the funeral, to which August graciously gave his assent in return for a vote for Saxony in the election. Three votes for Saxony, then, so far but August was not finished yet. He met with the Elector of Hannover, George I of Great Britain, and convinced him that Austria’s time as the dominant force in German politics was coming to an end. France was already attempting to exert its influence on Germany, Prussia with its dynamic new king was starting to make rumblings (strangely enough August did not actually know about Westphalia’s pact with Prussia during these negotiations- he was referring to Prussia’s discomfort at Saxony approaching an equal footing in terms of power with itself. The old treaty of technological swaps had fallen by the wayside as Saxony became able to fund its own research into military and industrial activities on a large scale and thus no longer needed it), but Saxony with its regiments had begun to establish itself as a serious force- one that would only grow with the Imperial Crown. August promised to align Saxon interests with Great Britain’s, in that it would strive to ensure no one power would become too great in power on the mainland to ensure domination, and respect Great Britain’s disputed territorial claims in the New World against any potential enemies. The latter promise wouldn’t affect Saxony much in the short term- August had no colonies of that time, but George knew that a man of August’s ambition would certainly look to establish some, and so safeguarded his realm’s land for the future.

And so, when the votes were read out, Joseph was utterly taken aback to have been beaten into third place, with votes from himself as King of Bohemia and from the Archbishop of Trier. The young Prussian king came in second place with three votes from Brandenburg, Cologne, and the Count of the Rhine, but did not care he had lost the race to the title- like his father, Frederick was more interested in more concrete forms of power such as manpower, training and the manipulation of others than an old crown, and this election had taught him a lot about the way some German states could be manipulated against an enemy presented as clamping down on their freedoms. August of Saxony, however, to his utter joy and horror of his ministers, had succeeded in wresting the Imperial Crown away from his Austrian allies for the first time in several hundred years with four votes- two cast by himself as Duke of Saxony and Bavaria, one by the Archbishop of Mainz and a further vote from Hannover.

Joseph was furious. A confrontation with August nearly became a full blown fight, but the two were separated. Johannes Gauss attempted to cool tempers by pointing out that the two states still had to act as allies in the War of the Spanish Succession, lest the French and her allies pose a larger problem than the ownership of the Imperial Title when the crowns of France and Spain were united. The Archduke of Austria demanded the handover of Prague back to his rightful keeping, but August refused, saying that he was protecting it from the Polish, who were still hostile to Austria and had never signed a peace treaty with Leopold. Gauss recalled the rest of the argument in a letter to his wife back in Dresden afterwards-
    “The Archduke demanded of our new foolish Emperor by what right was his birth right withheld from him, to which August replied that at present time, Saxon armies were superior to Austria’s, and it was by right of strength. And then, because he seemed to have not known he had gone far enough, he said that Saxon regiments had won the bulk of the meaningful victories in the war, that the balance of power had shifted a little away from Austria, and the elevation of himself to the Imperial Crown merely reflected that. Joseph then forgot all dignity that his titles gave him, such was his fury, and spat at August’s feet, and said “an Imperial crown? No, it is A Crown for the Wolves” before marching away, his followers surrounding him.”
    The relationship between Austria and Saxony became very strained- were it not for the War against the French it is entirely possible Joseph would have declared war to regain Prague, but his ministers advised that it would be better to sort out the Spanish Succession first, before demanding Prague once more when Saxon power was at a low ebb. Thus, Austria and Saxony became reluctant allies, and all thanks to the lust for crowns displayed by August.

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 06-03-2013 @ 01:39 PM).]

posted 03 June 2013 02:24 EDT (US)     55 / 75  
    A very nice political coup: a Saxon Holy Roman emperor.

Nicely played, EoJ. Nicely played.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
    posted 03 June 2013 02:40 EDT (US)     56 / 75  
    I like the style of writing in this one, feel like I'm getting taught history rather than reading fiction.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
    posted 03 June 2013 04:44 EDT (US)     57 / 75  
    I hope this episode is in keeping with August's character so far- I like to think he believes he's playing CK2, whilst everyone else is actually playing Empire Total War...

posted 03 June 2013 05:19 EDT (US)     58 / 75  
    Another excellent update EOJ!! I love your style!

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
    posted 03 June 2013 10:48 EDT (US)     59 / 75  
    Updated the OP with a little record of notable characters, mostly for my benefit so I don't have to look up who they are and what dates I've assigned to them in the narrative. I'm tempted to throw in a little record of what battles/campaigns different regiments have fought in for funsies, but another time perhaps.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm sneaking in holiday photos from last year at every opportunity, it seems.

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 06-03-2013 @ 01:41 PM).]

posted 09 June 2013 06:46 EDT (US)     60 / 75  

The Rhineland Campaigns- the sieges of Strasbourg and Cologne, the Westphalian Rising, and the French Counterattack

1715- Following the events of the previous year, the controversially-elected Emperor August was now in a position to move aggressively against the enemy. General Smeltzer had arrived in the west and subjugated Mainz, whilst Pirngruber had replenished his forces and was now able to march from Stuttgart without worrying about losing it due to being outmarched by an enemy, and did so. The French had failed to reinforce Alsace-Lorraine with both men and provisions after the previous French campaign into Württemberg, and the garrison of Strasbourg surrendered after a stubborn four-month standoff for fear of starvation. The siege was notable for it being the only time during the War that Austrian and Saxon forces fought under one banner- Archduke Joseph was determined that the Saxons were not to have the complete run of what was quickly being recognised as the decisive theatre in the war, and sent Alexander Lothar with a small force to drum up a few victories to show to a public in Vienna that was beginning to realise that Hapsburg power was becoming a little vulnerable. Lothar for his part quickly realised that Saxony and France were fighting on a scale of numbers that was beyond him, and after assisting Pirngruber in the capture of Strasbourg gladly agreed to cover Pirngruber’s back by guarding Württemberg from any French raiding.

The Archbishop of the city and the Count of the Rhine were both finally placed under the Imperial Ban threatened by Joseph’s father Leopold, and Smeltzer received orders to pacify Westphalia. Cologne was sieged in August 1715, but Smeltzer’s army was smaller than the garrison it was attempting to besiege. In a calculated move to bring numbers to bear, Westphalian commanders sallied to meet the Saxons and outflank them, but found that their numerically inferior enemy were hardened professionals that had been fighting together over 5 years, and their reputation was hard-earned. The sally was beaten off, and the 3rd Saxony were the first over the walls of a star fort the garrison retreated to and wiped out most of the enemy- a few survivors clung on in the city’s Cathedral before surrendering in the winter after Smeltzer threatened to train his cannons on the Gothic Spires of the (still incomplete today) Cathedral. The Archbishop was stripped of his title and taken back to Saxony, ignoring the protests of the Pope in Rome, and left as a comfortable prisoner in Dresden.

During this time, military thinking was wrestling with the problem of how best to command the increasingly large numbers of men that were being deployed by the rulers of Europe as armies moved away from an ad-hoc basis to a professional footing. Current weapons were inaccurate and took a time to correctly reload that varied according to how used a unit was to performing the action under fire from an enemy, and so battles consisted of two main phases- ranged combat where the side who could bring the most muskets to bear would gain the upper hand, and the decisive melee phase, where a bayonet charge would often prove decisive against wavering troops. For years now, the bayonet had been evolving from simple blades wedged in a barrel of a musket to a more sophisticated socket joint that allowed the soldier to continue firing, and thus enabling effective melee attacks to occur with much less preparation needed- sudden transitions from ranged to melee attacks were found much more effective than clearly signalling an intention to close to hand to hand combat by having to stop firing to fix bayonets. Saxony’s former technological partnership with Prussia was based initially on this type of work, and bayonet charges were now down to a fine art.

Advances in increasing the effectiveness of the ranged combat side of things, however, had slowed. Whilst the smoothbore musket had the advantages of being cheap and easy to train a man how to use one, improvements in accuracy had not materialised, and what determined one Regiment’s superiority over another was which one of the two could manage to fire the greatest amount of bullets in a given time frame. The basis of the Wolf regiments’ successes lay in that they could now fire and reload like clockwork at a rate of almost four rounds a minute in the best regiments, but the massed rank formations of the day meant that only the first rank could fire without hindrance whilst the men at the back were effectively unable to take part in the battle until men in front had fallen. This meant a lot of muskets at any given time were not firing in a battle, and commanders were now starting to experiment in the 17th century with ways to enable more men to train their weapons on the enemy at once. The simplest method was to widen the ranks, but there are obviously times where this is simply not possible, or not advisable for fear of making a line thin and brittle, so nations started experimenting with various kneeling drills to enable men to effectively get out the way whilst reloading to enable ranks further back to fire. These drills varied a little from nation to nation, usually on the point of who gives orders for ranks to kneel and stand, but are generally grouped under the general term “Fire by Rank”. Britain and Prussia are believed to have originated drills first, but Saxon regiments were now being trained to maximise their firepower in this manner.

Military thinking was not the only thing progressing- in 1716 after successful trials by Bavarian farmers Karl Marx signed off an initiative that would lead to farmers following a new adjustment to the traditional crop rotation farming methods- the Four-Field Crop Rotation system, where instead of a field being left fallow for a year new crops important from the Americas were brought in that could be sold for profit and replenish soil at a greater rate than previously. Leipzig university would continue to focus on delivering new advances in farming and heavy industry, and innovations such as improved animal husbandry would come from those hallowed halls over the next few years.

A new power was starting to rise in the Baltic. Sweden had conquered various parts of Estonia and the Russian Baltic coast, and now used previously-conquered Denmark as a stepping stone to land a sizable force in Hannover. The Hanoverians resisted for a good year but help from Great Britain or indeed Saxony was unable to reach them in time due to other large scale wars being fought at the time. By winter 1716 Sweden had a sizable foothold in northern Germany, and was becoming another headache for the German states to worry about- Prussia especially, as the Swedish now controlled the exit from the Baltic and started imposing tariffs on ships passing Copenhagen. Great Britain finally managed to redeploy some ships in a position to blockade ports in Sweden and declared war with support from her allies, Portugal, Prussia and Saxony. This was the first time Prussia and Saxony were on the same side of a war, but their roles were very different. Prussia would attack over land with her armies, but Saxony could not spare men from the War of the Spanish Succession, and instead helped gather intelligence and sabotage key targets. Wide-scale clandestine operations had been experimented with by Saxony in the Netherlands around this time, inflicting damage on industrial engines as well as an attack on the University in Amsterdam, but here desperate men such as Wendel Fuchs and Friedrich Koch were sent to Sweden to harass military infrastructure with the hope that Prussia would be able to take advantage of the disruption Sweden would face in replenishing its troops and liberate Hannover.

Meanwhile, in Westphalia, Smeltzer was having trouble stamping out resistance. An underground movement with French funding coordinated riots and unrest throughout the region, the worst of which was the trashing of weavers cottages in Mainz and killing over a thousand people in the catastrophic fires that followed in revenge for the Archbishop of Mainz throwing his lot in with the Saxons very early on. Eventually, a standard of rebellion was raised in 1717 in Porta Westfalica on the banks of the river Weser, and Smeltzer once more marched to put down a rebellion.

This would be the first time Saxon regiments utilised the “Fire by Rank” drills in open battle, a firefight over a river crossing that eventually culminated in the 2nd fording the river under artillery covering fire and breaking the enemy. The enemy were made up of dissatisfied former Westphalian armed forces, but lacked artillery and suffered for it in a close-packed formation. With the Westphalian rising foiled, Jan Kallenbach arrived to help integrate the province into Saxony’s ever-expanding realm, including issuing a proclamation safeguarding Cologne’s right to be a self-ruling city as long as it remained loyal to the Emperor. The Behr regiment was to become part of the Emperor’s army, and like the Bavarians and Wurttembergers before them Westphalians were encouraged to join and serve in what was increasingly becoming a pan-German army.

Over in Alsace-Lorraine, however, Pirngruber received reports of a reasonable force of French approaching from the south in the early months of 1717. Taking the 1st, the 7th and cannon with him, he left Strasbourg and its remaining garrison (the 5th, the 8th, and militiamen, including those from Bavaria) under the command of Oskar Renke. However, his quarry proved slippery to get a hold of, and retreated further and further from Strasbourg to draw Pirngruber away from the city. From the south, a much smaller French force marched straight for Strasbourg, and immediately assaulted- in an ambitious piece of misdirection the French had looked to draw the main bulk of Saxon forces away with a decoy march before launching a surgical strike to knock out the weakened garrison. 1800 Saxons garrisoned the city, of which about half were militia. Upon realising that the Saxons had been tricked, Renke sent a swift messenger to the Austrians on the other side of the Rhine for help, but they were to arrive far too late to have any impact on the battle.

The French had sent mostly regiments that had suffered defeat in battle to the Saxons before, now replenished and sent back at their enemy for a chance for redemption. They also included some militia from border towns that had suffered in the KG’s raids over the years among their number, and lancer cavalry. Renke was dismissive of the latter, as Saxon infantrymen had always weathered cavalry charges thanks to the bayonet and square, and so opted to sally to crush the French as quickly as possible- a decision almost cost him the city. The French kept some cavalry threatening on the flanks so that at least one regiment had to be deployed to counter with square formation, leaving the centre to face the French regiments to be made up of militia. The 8th was deployed to counter this threat on the right, whilst the 5th deployed on the centre-left between the Saxon and Bavarian militias. Next, instead of the customary musket fire the French and Saxons were used to exchanging during battle, the frogs instead launched a straight bayonet charge, with the rest of lancer cavalry penetrating deep into the centre of the militia. The Bavarians vaporised in an instant, and the flanks were forced to converge on their position to stop the French splitting the Saxons in two- the 8th immediately hit the side of the assaulting French, steadying the line a little, and while the 5th’s 2nd regiment moved in from the left, the 1st regiment attempted to stop frogs making for the walls whilst being severely outnumbered, and were swept away after three enemy regiments charged into close combat.

The battle now looked grim for Saxony- with the way to the walls free, lightly-armed militiamen climbed them with the aid of grappling hooks and began to capture the fort, whilst the 8th and the remains of the 5th and Bavarian militiamen were engaged in desperate combat and pinned down by the French. The battle looked lost, until somehow Saxon militiamen routed their enemy that had charged them and swung round to bring as many muskets as possible to bear on the back of the French. Enough of the enemy were cut down or persuaded to rout to free the 8th from the melee, who found the gatehouse barred by the French inside. In an act of desperation, they utilized the French’s own grappling hooks to assault their own fortress, breaking onto the walls and killing everyone inside. Attempts by the Bavarians to join them ended in disaster as the French caught them against the wall and killed them all, but the Saxons were now back inside the fort and the safety of their own walls, and the French had had enough casualties for one day. Casualties were severe on both sides- 1200 Saxons and almost 1500 Frenchmen dead, and Renke had been killed along with most of the rest of the 1st battalion of the 5th- but the city was still in Saxony’s hands. Pirngruber marched back from his wild goose chase to make the city safe from French attack, and begged for reinforcements from Erlanger back in Dresden.

During the winter of 1717, the King of France and great enemy of Saxony and Austria, Louis XIV, finally died in the palace of Versailles aged 79. His 7-year-old grandson, Louis XV, took the throne as his father the Grand Dauphin had died some months previously, and claimed the throne of Spain for himself in his coronation. Joseph I immediately sent envoys to the new French king- could the question of the Spanish Succession be now resolved without further bloodshed? Austrian diplomats that hoped to find a boy on the throne that could be brow-beaten and manipulated were left very disappointed- Louis had inherited his grandfather’s steely determination and cold, calculating mind. Furthermore, he had retained many of the Sun King’s able advisors who assured him that victory was still possible, despite Saxony’s victories on the Rhine. Indeed, if Saxony was taken out of the war through diplomatic or other means, Austria would be suddenly very vulnerable. Spurning Austria’s offers, then, the new French king set about a different way of winning what he believed was rightfully his Spanish throne, and began re-establishing diplomatic channels to Emperor August instead.

posted 10 June 2013 01:13 EDT (US)     61 / 75  
    Another good one.

It looks like the AI can pull some interesting plays too. That decoy march was prety clever.

Nice battle write-up as well. The powder is still lingering in the air over here.

posted 11 June 2013 03:40 EDT (US)     62 / 75  
    Another great chapter! Well down EOJ! A hard fought battle is just the way to whip some inexperienced troops into shape!

posted 11 June 2013 06:49 EDT (US)     63 / 75  
    It was supremely close- you can see in one if the screenshots that i have exactly one second left before they capture the fort! Thankfully the 8th distracted them away from the main centre, but I was stupidly close to losing the battle altogether.

posted 19 June 2013 03:59 EDT (US)     64 / 75  
    ETA on next installment- I'll put a half one up on Friday, as I'm having another couple of busy weeks.

posted 27 June 2013 04:44 EDT (US)     65 / 75  
    Eh heh heh, that went well, didn't it? Turned out I managed to get two job interviews on the Friday I said I'd do things and have been pinging across the country like a yo yo. I'm going to be settling down to a nice steady summer job on monday, so I'll start writing again then. To be Continued!

posted 27 June 2013 05:05 EDT (US)     66 / 75  
    Better good stuff served late than trash served early.

We patiently await thy updates.

posted 06 July 2013 05:54 EDT (US)     67 / 75  

The Rhineland Campaigns- The Battle of Nancy

Winter, 1717- In the north, the rumblings of cannon fire and battle could be heard across the border in Saxon lands. Prussia had marched on Hanover to liberate it, whilst Great Britain harried Swedish shipping. Saxony was “officially” neutral, though ministers in Dresden didn’t know for how long for until the Swedish caught wind of the state-sponsored sabotaging campaign. With the memory of the Poles still fresh in the mind, recruitment began on recruiting more regiments to enable the Saxon military to guard Dresden in the face of a Swedish invasion. Pirngruber and Smeltzer were sent more aggressive orders to bring France to a position where, should Sweden declare war, August and Gauss could pursue peace talks with the new French King that would hopefully end the War of the Spanish Succession (or at least Saxon involvement in it)- there was a strong desire in the capital to avoid two separate wars on two fronts with two powerful enemies, and nervous night time meetings between the Emperor and his cabinet made preparations for the next conflict, studying Swedish army compositions and movements intently. New advancements in artillery and industry were prepared to make sure that Saxony could wipe out the next enemy regiment and pay for the expense afterwards.

In 1718 situation in the north became even more grave- Prussia was soundly beaten in battle, Sweden seemingly had limitless reinforcements forever coming in from Denmark, and had managed to break off British blockade. A protracted land war against Russia had been concluded in Sweden’s favour, and the Swedish King Karl XII could now shuffle great and experienced armies from one side of the Baltic to the other using the largest fleet in the Baltic, and it was this surge of veterans that proved too much for the Prussians. To make things worse, public appetite in Britain for war was flagging, and doubts were being raised as to their ability to execute a decisive action that would bring about victory due to a land war on the Indian sub-continent tieing down most of the British military. With it looking increasingly likely that Sweden’s hold on Hanover would not be broken, the “Big Three” cabinet ministers, Erlanger, Kallenbach and Gauss, all agreed that Sweden would look to expand into even further Germany, and was a threat to Saxony and indeed the Holy Roman Empire itself.

Over in the Rhineland, raiding continued in Alsace-Lorraine all through 1718 by both sides, and it wasn’t until snowy November that the Wolf regiments fought another large-scale set piece battle, when another French army made its way to Nancy, intent on wrecking the economic infrastructure in the area that the Saxons had been profiting off during the year. 2500 Frenchmen, including cannon, grenadiers and some cavalry, marched straight for their target, and Pirngruber was forced to retreat and attempt to link up with reinforcements- his own force was only 1500 men including the KG, which as noted before are not suited for head-on engagement, so the 5th and 8th were sent for from Strasbourg. Unfortunately, the French had cleverly intercepted the reinforcing regiments, and though they had not managed to engage them Pirngruber knew the two regiments would be lost unless he assisted them.

And so, on a crisp winter morning, Pirngruber arrayed his forces to fight what would be one of the major battles of the War of the Spanish Succession. The 1st Royal Regiment was deployed on the left, cannon in the middle, and the 7th on the right. The 2nd and 3rd battalions of the KG were further right still, with instructions to race around the frogs and provide support for the 5th and 8th. (I)

The French opening salvo of artillery was devastating, inflicting losses in the centre(III), so Pirngruber instructed his men to use the rolling hills present on the battlefield as cover from direct fire. The topography of the battlefield meant that the 1st and 7th would have to march separately from each other at too great a distance to provide support for each other, so the KG’s 1st battalion was tasked with neutralising the French cavalry situated on the Saxon left flank that would attempt to take advantage of this. Upon tempting the lancers into a foolhardy charge, the 1st battalion fired their carbines, retreated into a wooded grove, and then countercharged the enemy lancers once all momentum had been lost. Their enemy dispatched with sabre, they then took up the carbine and harried the mass of infantrymen on the great ridge ahead of the 1st (IV). Taking advantage of the distraction, the 1st managed to reach the bottom of the ridge, out of the line of fire and waited until all the pieces were in position.(V) For his part, the French commander, Marc Bagot, decided to keep his forces together as a single unit that would be much easier to control until he could discern the pattern of the battle- the French still had many more muskets and close artillery support than the Saxons, and any thrust by the KG was met by a large volley from the French line regiments.

On the right, the KG reached positions on the flank of the French. The second battalion dismounted and lay down a base of fire (I), whilst the 3rd skipped in and out of effective musket rage, teasing at the seams of the French line (II). The 7th marched slowly to support them, picking their route with care (III), but aimed for a gap in the line formed by the KG’s constant skirmishing. Ahead of them, and behind the French, the 5th and 8th arrived but were harried by enemy cavalry. However, by forming square formation in turn, and with the help of the mobile 3rd battalion of the KG, they managed to close on the French army. (IV)

Pirngruber wrote what happened next in his diaries-
    “I received the runner from the artillery battery, the eyes and ears throughout, at my position with the 1st, telling me that the other regiments appeared to be in agreeable positions (I). I sounded a general “Fire at will” order, meaning for all regiments to close to musket range, and trusted that the Karabiniers had managed to relay these instructions on to the reinforcements, or indeed that the commanders would get the general idea from their own observations. Ahead of me, the Royals ran at the slope, meaning the reach the top. Unfortunately, some of the slope was more shallow than other areas, and the 3rd battalion took a few cannonballs to the front. (II) According to my colonels’ reports, the 7th managed to exploit a gap in the French line made by the KG (III), whilst a battalion of the 5th helped finish off the isolated frogs. A final harrying by the enemy lancer corps were dealt with by the usual square (IV), and I think it a shame I could not see the Frog in charge’s face when he realised that he had been encircled as the Royals popped up over the lip of the ridge and opened fire (V).”

Pirngruber had managed to encircle the French on three sides, and coordinate the final attack so that his enemies faced a sudden barrage of missiles from all directions with the best Wolf regiment of the lot suddenly popping up not twenty meters in front of them. Crucially, however, he’d left one side seemingly open- an inviting escape route. Before the French general could issue an order for his troops to counter, either with reforming a line or an en masse bayonet charge on one side to break out of the trap, his men had downed their muskets and fled. The 7th only managed 7 rounds before their quarry started- for the 1st, it was 3. The Breach Stormers immediately led an impetuous charge on whichever French regiments were still standing, whilst Pirngruber kicked his horse into a gallop and joined his Karabiniergarde in hunting the enemy. 8 cannon, 10,000 rounds and a large amount of good soldiers were captured, and only 500 Frenchmen managed to flee the clutches of the Saxons. In contrast, Pirngruber sustained a mere 300 casualties.

The survivors moved were pursued to the foot of the alps, where they managed to double back on themselves and give Pirngruber the slip early 1819, heading back to France via the way they came. However, Nancy was once more to be their undoing, as the Saxons caught up and killed every last one outside the town in a very one-sided engagement.

With France reeling from this total defeat, Smeltzer begged the Secretary of War, August Erlanger, for permission to march on Flanders and the Netherlands. France’s remaining military was concentrated in these areas, and Smeltzer managed to convince his superiors that confronting and defeating the French regiments head on would be the final straw for France, as well as potentially fulfilling the Gauss plan to gain Saxony a port. Two weeks later, Erlanger’s orders were received- both Saxon forces would march north in concert, attempt to take the Netherlands or Flanders if lightly defended and inflict a moral-damaging defeat on the French. Pirngruber and Smeltzer had just the target in their sights- a relatively strong French contingent preparing to defend the Flemish countryside under an inexperienced general lacking artillery support. Should they defeat this last bulwark of French resistance, it was hoped Brussels and Amsterdam would be very much open to attack, France irrevocably weakened and Saxony would be able to enter onto the world stage and not just be confined to central Europe. Things would not quite pan out that way.

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 07-06-2013 @ 05:58 AM).]

posted 06 July 2013 05:58 EDT (US)     68 / 75  
    What better way to restart updates than with one of my favorite battles I've played in a Total War game?
    I had great fun with the terrain to block lines of sight, and was very lucky the enemy didn't fancy poking their noses over the ridge- I like to hope it's because I had the KG in a position to swoop on their back if they did so.

The last couple of weeks have been full of going round the country, moving houses, job interviews and so on. But now I'm back and settled in one place, so this can now take its place back in my regular schedule again

posted 07 July 2013 12:17 EDT (US)     69 / 75  
    Well done, lad!

You caught the French in a box, and cagily left them a way to squeak out- into the arms of your closing door. Very good.

I don't know who this Nancy chick is, but she must be one hell of a woman to get the French to toss an entire army at her to catch her. I am pleased she is on your side.

posted 07 July 2013 12:45 EDT (US)     70 / 75  
    Oh dear, I was under the impression that I had spelt it correctly. What's the correct spelling?

posted 07 July 2013 13:39 EDT (US)     71 / 75  
    No worries.

You spelled it correctly.

Nancy the girl's name and Nancy the city are spelled identically.

posted 15 July 2013 05:54 EDT (US)     72 / 75  

The Final Rhineland Campaign and the Battle of Flanders, The Swedish Wars and the Nachlassen

1719- Gascon de Caster, commander of the French army in Flanders, found himself being confronted by a little under 2000 Saxons near a village whose name has been sadly lost to history. The French had been patrolling the area for some time now, and knew the ground quite well, and it appeared they had the benefit of numbers on their side. It looked like Smeltzer had overplayed his hand, so de Caster decided to give battle just to the south of this unnamed village- his country may not have such an opportunity to defeat the Saxons again for a while.

Sadly, de Caster’s scouts had let him down, not managing to see or report Pirngruber’s march from the south. Care had been taken to ensure the French never knew their movements, with the Karabiniergarde riding as a screen to chase down any Frenchmen who looked like he could discover them.

To the north, battle was joined. The 2nd Saxony managed to occupy high ground overlooking the south side of the village, and were forced to form square formation to fend off the cavalry sent to dislodge them. In the east, the French attempted to punch their way through the Wolf regiments with column formation, but the 3rd Saxony and 4th Bavarians combined to bring the frogs to a standstill. A firefight developed, and French Hussars were sent to flank the Saxons from the north. However, a new green regiment, the 9th Rhineland from Westphalia, proved to be a major obstacle in achieving this, and the flank soon devolved into a series of feints, charges and feigned retreats.

The French still could have conceivably punched through, however, were it not for the arrival of Pirngruber’s army in the south. Reserves that could have been brought to bear on the 3rd and 4th, or indeed the 2nd on the hill, were now forced to protect their flank. Suddenly, the French were completely overstretched- they had widened their line as far as they could to stop the enemy infantry marching round them, but now had no response to the KG now released on to the rear of the army, even managing to rout the hussars to the north. Realising he was doomed with little hope of retreat, de Caster gave a single order that would consign almost 2000 young men to their deaths- “Give them hell”.

With the Hussars gone, the 9th could now move into a corpse of trees and surround the French engaging on the east side. The 2nd pushed their way through the main street of the village, but the enemy made them pay for every step in blood. In the south, the French 81st Regiment and the 7th Württemberg were so close to each other they could almost spit on their foes were it not for the fact their mouths were dry and black with gunpowder from biting cartridges. Eventually, Smeltzer directed the 4th into a Bayonet charge, whilst the KG swept round and rooted the French out of the village. 600 Saxons fell, compared to 1700 Frenchmen (including de Caster, killed in the firefight with the 2nd in the village), and the road to Brussels lay well and truly open.

In the Baltic, two events conspired to check Saxony’s advance into the low countries- Great Britain, beaten back by Sweden and unable to spare more men, reached a peace with her enemy and withdrew from the conflict. Prussia vowed to keep fighting, not wanting King Karl XII to make inroads into Germany. The second event, however, was that a Prussian spy was caught in Copenhagen attempting to set fire to the old Royal barracks. Under persuasive questioning, however, he revealed that he had been assisted in the matter with a Saxon state-sponsored rouge who had fled in the night. A city-wide manhunt began immediately, and the unfortunate man was shot attempting to make his escape over the roof tops. A search of his room revealed that the Prussian was correct- this unnamed Saxon was getting help, resources and money from the Saxon government. It was fortunate timing for Prussia- remember that their army had been broken by Sweden a few summers before- and some historians have speculated if it was a deliberate ploy by the King In Prussia to force Saxony “officially” into the war.

In any event, Sweden promptly issued a declaration of war. Great Britain, obviously, did not come to Saxony’s aid. In Dresden, August wanted to have one last advance against France in order to quickly secure Brussels or Amsterdam before moving on Hanover, but Erlanger convinced him that both Smeltzer and Pirngruber’s armies would be needed to secure the capital, lest a repeat of the Polish campaign take place. Instead, to the fury of Joseph of Austria, Johannes Gauss was despatched to Paris to negotiate a truce to allow Saxony to exit the War of the Spanish Succession. These negotiations did not take long. Louis XV pressed to keep Flanders and the Netherlands, but did not haggle for Alsace-Lorraine- the King’s ministers plotted a course of action where they could concentrate on Italy and take Austrian holdings there before renewing hostilities with Saxony to take back lost territory in a position of greater strength than at present time. This became known as the “Nachlassen”, or “Pause”- Saxony would once more re-enter the War later, but only after a harrowing campaign against Sweden.

Also in the Baltic, Great Britain, still at war with the Maharajas, finally dealt with their Norwegian territories with a strong armed force. The message to Sweden was clear- once Britain finished in India, it would turn its attention to the Baltic once more, and this time Britain had a base of operations in Scandinavia. Time was against Sweden, and Karl knew that he had to finish his wars in Germany quickly, or lose everything.

Having been called off Flanders, Smeltzer and Pirngruber were redeployed around West and South Hannover respectively. A year of standoff ensured- both sides dug in, and the 10th Koln (Cologne) and 11th Flanders (A provocative name, considering that Flanders was not in fact under Saxon rule- it was instead based in Westphalia) were raised to garrison Rhineland settlements. Pirngruber received new Howitzer-style artillery, whilst the 1st Royal Regiment received a 4th battalion of Grenadiers, but did not link up with them until a good 6 years later, acting instead as an elite garrison force in Dresden. All the soldiers could do was wait to see which side was ordered to move first.

posted 16 July 2013 02:00 EDT (US)     73 / 75  
    Excellent pincer attack- you caught the French but good!

Too bad the rest of the update seemed a bit like hurry-up-and-wait, but hey, that is real life as well. At least you got Howies and managed to build up some strength. You will most likely need it soon- Sweden might be a pushover these days, but back in the day they were quite strong (especially under my boy Gustavus Adolphus, though he was dead by this time and his army got wrecked by men not as gifted as he).

posted 16 July 2013 07:11 EDT (US)     74 / 75  
    Excellent Battle and Update. Well done!

Loving this AAR!

posted 21 December 2013 09:17 EDT (US)     75 / 75  
    Seeing as it's been nominated for best AAR, I thought I'd post the notes I had on this- I'd left it at a pretty rubbish time.
    The Swedish Wars- The Battle of Cassel, The Duke of Wurttemberg, The Danish campaign
    -Battle of Cassel in winter 1720- Two Saxon armies link up, engage Swedish. Pirngruber dies, Hannover gleefully becomes part of Saxony. 1st (minus their grenadiers), 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, KG, and new Howitzers involved.
    -Survivors of Swedish force are perused into Hannover by Smeltzer and then later the KG’s new 2nd.
    -Smeltzer “Hero of the Army”. Elevated to Duke of Württemberg 1721 – Non Elector state that is under Saxon Control. Still, a great honour. Rumours Saxony will be raised to a Kingdom.
    -March into Danish mainland 1722. Raid ports and towns, and sabotage Copenhagen.

The Kingdom of Saxony and the Resumption of the War of Spanish Succession
    -Summer 1723 Johannes Gauss dies, replaced by Franz Werner. Saxony raised to Kingdom, assuming direct control of the lands it holds on the map.
    -Winter 1724 France declares war- tries to get to Austria and reclaim A-L.
    -Summer 1725 August Erlanger dies. Leopold Sutor raised to General (from the 2nd Saxony?), attacks French raiding Rhineland. Flees in first battle but comes back. Raids near Strasbourg repelled. Smeltzer withdraws to Hannover.

The Swedish Wars- The First battle of Hamburg, the second Danish campaign, and the Conclusion of the War of the Spanish Succession- The siege of Amsterdam
    -Winter 1725 Swedish Incursion leads to first battle of Hamburg with Smeltzer. First time the Grenadiers of the 1st saw action with the rest of the regiment. 1st KG adopt name “Raven Guard” due to their 1st battalion.
    -Sutor sieges Amsterdam. Small relief force made up of Swiss Guard and Grenadiers are joined by garrison, seen off by 2nd, 6th, and 11th. Summer 1725 the city falls. Peace with France.
    -Taking of Amsterdam seen as final victory for the War of the Spanish Succession for Austria, though only partial and Pyrrhic. They’ve lost the HRE-ship, quite a lot of their army, and lots of land ruined by it. France and Austria settle on a minor cadet branch of the Hapsburgs getting the throne at GB’s and Saxony’s insistence. Austria refused Bohemia, though- “come back when you can defeat the Poles”.
    - 2nd Smeltzer incursion into Denmark.
    -Poland takes Hungary, threaten Vienna. Austria beat back 1726-1727. Saxony finally has a port!
    -Karl Marx dies, Carcass shot developed summer 1727. Marx’s son takes over treasury. Prussia declares war- massive military, feels threatened by Saxon/Austrian duology. They take Dresden. Prague now capital.

The Swedish War- The 2nd Battle of Hamburg, and the Northern War
    -Sweden attack Smeltzer, beaten off.
    -1727 Sutor marches to Prague. KG raid Prussia. First navy made up of 5th rates retreat in face of superior Prussian navy. They then sail to the Ivory Coast and export Ivory.
    -1728 Prussia declared bankrupt. New port in Hannover- Cuxhaven. Prussia declares war on Sweden 1729.
    -1729 2nd battle of Hamburg- Smeltzer dies. 7th Renamed. Replacement was Friedrich Schnabel, storms into Denmark for revenge, can’t reach Copenhagen due to Swedes blocking the straights with a superior navy.

The Northern War- The Brandenburg Campaign,
    First naval engagement off Netherlands, loss. 4th and 12th Bavarians hunt scattered Prussians in Bohemia.
    -1730 Trade agreement with France cancelled. Schnabel assaults Berlin, raises all buildings.

-France declare war, assault Amsterdam. Take it, wipe out the 6th.
    The next update was going to be the bloody large battle you see above. Sadly, stuff happened, but who knows.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » A Crown for the Wolves - Saxony ETW AAR
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Total War Heaven | HeavenGames