Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sepia Joust IX- Advisory: How do I play this? Discussions Scroll
posted 03 July 2015 02:17 EDT (US)   
Or more to the point, are there any people?

Aprilius is long past, and by the time Julius departs, we must have chosen a new genre for the coming Joust. I apologize profusely for not launching this in Aprilius as is normal- my real-life free-time basically evaporated in Martius and it is only now, with some space coming in for a brief few weeks, that I turned my attention to this contest.

Schools are letting out all over the world, some for summer vacation, others for Winter vacation, and the time has come to sharpen our quills for the next round. As always, we vote on a new genre, hear the bragging of those who dare not enter, listen to the mighty crowing of others, then by the Kalends of December, submit our pieces for the Voting Scroll.

The genres are:

Poetry (rhyming)
Historic fiction (Sepia Joust VII)
Fantasy (Sepia Joust VIII)
Poetry (prose)
Science Fiction (Sepia Joust IV)
Comedy/Parody (Sepia Joust V)
Criminal (in old days) (Sepia Joust VI)
Romantic / Romantic Adventure
Documentary
Advisory
Horror (Sepia Joust III)
Thriller
Brief History (Sepia Joust I)
Diary / Journal (Sepia Joust II)

Place your votes. The sooner we decide on a genre, the more time we will have to prepare a fitting piece.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 12-04-2015 @ 11:33 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03 July 2015 17:26 EDT (US)     1 / 20  
I am interested. What would a 'documentary' peice of writing look like?

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 04 July 2015 09:26 EDT (US)     2 / 20  
I am not sure. Someone else suggested it.

I would assume, based on the name, that one writes a piece of history as if it were to be read for television. A sort of short history or review of nature, or an event, or a species of bird, or the evolution of the musket; that sort of thing.

If you have a better idea, please let it be heard.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 07-04-2015 @ 09:31 AM).]

posted 05 July 2015 20:28 EDT (US)     3 / 20  
I think my level of interest would greatly vary based upon what the genre would be. While I'm up for writing many different things, I'm not sure if I could put my best effort into some of the forms left.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 06 July 2015 00:33 EDT (US)     4 / 20  
I had a discussion about the genre type with AE a few days ago. If I was going to do a story centered around the 'documentary' theme, I'd write a story where a fictional, amateur historian in for example the Hellenistic Era time frame visits famous battlefields in Italy such as Asculum, Heraclea and Cannae, and have him take notes about the geography of the area and have interviews with locals whose ancestors may have witnessed or fought in these battles.

That's my idea anyways. Not sure if I'll have enough free time or motivation to put my other writing projects on hold to participate this year.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
posted 06 July 2015 10:21 EDT (US)     5 / 20  
I would suggest the following:

Reduce the choices of Poetry to one.

Remove the genre of Documentary- nobody really knows what it was anyway.

Drop the Romance/Romantic Adventure- none of those who will proabbly enter that Joust are really in touch with their feminine side anyway, making this quite awkward.

Leaving us with:
Thriller
Advisory (gameplay guide, maybe?)
Poetry (all kinds)

Sound good?

posted 06 July 2015 22:31 EDT (US)     6 / 20  
Agreed. With the choice left i would then vote for 'advisory'.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 07 July 2015 13:19 EDT (US)     7 / 20  
I vote for 'advisory' as well. If we follow the gameplay guides route, will it be limited to guides on vanilla (unmodded) Total War games or will it be open to guides for mods?

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
posted 07 July 2015 22:36 EDT (US)     8 / 20  
I'm fine with advisory as well, but I'm assuming it's a bit broader than just RTW, i.e. "12 Easy Steps to Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse"?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 08 July 2015 03:13 EDT (US)     9 / 20  
Since it is probably going to be just us, let us assume it is open for any game.

That will make it wide open.

posted 30 July 2015 05:36 EDT (US)     10 / 20  
Advisory it is.

Any game you want.

Deadline: 29 December 2015. No extensions- I want this Joust to count for this year. Voting can be next year.

posted 26 November 2015 11:29 EDT (US)     11 / 20  
Five days to the Kalends, when Submissions Open.

Get your shit together and be ready.

posted 01 December 2015 11:24 EDT (US)     12 / 20  
The Submissions Scroll is now open, and shall remain so until night onto Jul (Kerst, Weinacht, Christmas, etc)

Voting will open once Submissions closes.

This iteration is Advisory.

Let us see how this turns out!

Let the Joust Begin!

posted 01 December 2015 11:47 EDT (US)     13 / 20  
I have to abstain from participating this time. Half of my time is taken up by work and my "free time" is occupied by family and social obligations. I do however, have a new historical fiction story that I'm working on exclusively for the Bardic Circle. I'm aiming to have the first chapter posted sometime in January.

posted 02 December 2015 09:49 EDT (US)     14 / 20  
I have a piece ready and tempered.

I shall miss your competition, but do look forward to your coming piece in the Circle.

I too might pen off something new. I actually had an idea for an article. Now to just find the time to research and write...

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 12-04-2015 @ 01:18 AM).]

posted 04 December 2015 11:32 EDT (US)     15 / 20  
Just a reminder for those who might have missed it:

Submissions are open.

posted 08 December 2015 01:02 EDT (US)     16 / 20  
Submissions wil remain open until +/- 21 December.

My piece is in the final phases of touching up now.

How are yours coming along?

posted 09 December 2015 12:17 EDT (US)     17 / 20  
Let the competition begin!

The current Champion's piece has already taken the field.

Who dares to challenge?

You have 12 days (+/-) to reply.

The clock is ticking.

posted 14 December 2015 02:47 EDT (US)     18 / 20  
Five days later and a week to go.

And no challenger yet dares to darken the portals with his shadow....

posted 22 December 2015 11:55 EDT (US)     19 / 20  
Two days until the Jolly Fat Man departs the Northen Lights District for Points South, closing the gates here.

posted 26 December 2015 05:00 EDT (US)     20 / 20  
Done.

An empty Arena, where only one stood breathing.

I will open a Voting Scroll for formality's sake.

Or maybe not.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Sepia Joust IX- Advisory: How do I play this? Discussions Scroll
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames